The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 19:35:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Summer 2020 Transfer Window

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 [135] 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 ... 145   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Summer 2020 Transfer Window  (Read 208598 times)
guest3063

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #2680 on: October 16, 2020, 17:02:17 pm »

I don't think anybody wants us to splurge a load of cash we don't have, but when funds are limited, that just makes spending it correctly even more important.

We've managed to close the transfer window with only three senior centre backs on our books, two of whom have been pants so far, even though we start with three centre backs in Curle's preferred system. That means either Racic goes back in the team, or a full back continues to play out of position to plug the gap. God forbid we have one or even two injuries in this position.

We have no direct replacement for McCormack. We have no direct replacement for Oliver, even though we have about half a dozen forwards in the squad now.

But apparently we shouldn't panic because there are 'more free agents than usual this year' - in other words, we're planning to plug gaps in the squad reactively, by seeing which journeyman who hasn't played a competitive game for 8 months is willing to take up a short term deal here as a last resort. This is despite Curle saying before the P*sh game that he wants to follow their model of signing young, hungry players in the Korboa or BAS mould, with potential resale value. Is that really the plan? Because the autumn free agents route seems at odds with that.

I think we've got recruitment all wrong this summer. If we continue shipping two or three goals a game then we'll go down and we'll be able to trace the reasons why back to this transfer window.

Who says the free agent/s will be "journeyman"??
Report Spam   Logged
1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #2681 on: October 16, 2020, 17:36:01 pm »

There will be a reason that they are free Agents. I sincerely hope the current squad comes good but just can’t see it. I’ll watch the Merseyside Derby tomorrow and having paid another tenner probably watch through another Town display to ruin my weekend and wish I’d gone to watch Horsham play the ball on the ground instead
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #2682 on: October 16, 2020, 17:40:46 pm »

There will be a reason that they are free Agents. I sincerely hope the current squad comes good but just can’t see it. I’ll watch the Merseyside Derby tomorrow and having paid another tenner probably watch through another Town display to ruin my weekend and wish I’d gone to watch Horsham play the ball on the ground instead

Yeah, because no club has signed them  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #2683 on: October 16, 2020, 17:51:52 pm »

And there will probably be a reason they have been released or not picked up. We may however be fortunate and pick up someone who can provide some guile or skill, not confident though.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #2684 on: October 16, 2020, 17:52:17 pm »

So, who did we sign in the end?
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #2685 on: October 16, 2020, 19:01:16 pm »

Unfortunately the dominoes didn't fall and we were unable to complete the jigsaw. But not to worry KC still has all his marbles.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #2686 on: October 16, 2020, 19:23:36 pm »

Fantastic housekeeping anyhows.
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #2687 on: October 16, 2020, 19:45:50 pm »

Some are free agents because their wage demands were too high, often the result of bad advice from agents. There will be useful players available, whether they will lower their demands to a realistic level (for The Cobblers) remains to be seen. Many clubs will be chasing the same players.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #2688 on: October 16, 2020, 19:52:38 pm »

Face it, they are the dregs.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
« Reply #2689 on: October 16, 2020, 19:54:49 pm »

Last season we signed 3 players on short term deals and Anderson and Harriman then had their deals extended to the end of the season. I expect to see similar this season.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #2690 on: October 16, 2020, 20:04:49 pm »

Shocking transfer window, we will do very very well to even have half a chance of staying up.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Bosco_Jancovic

View Profile
« Reply #2691 on: October 16, 2020, 20:56:51 pm »

Shocking transfer window, we will do very very well to even have half a chance of staying up.

Mr.Curle has quality with Racic (when fit) and Martin at the back.  Bolger must learn fight like a dog.  Horsfall must show he is not a donkey (hey, my joke).

Midfield best in this league.

Fowards..... I see 2 who can play top level in Europe.

I bet free smack in mouth against you if Northampton finish higher than 20.  You take free vodka, me, I smack you!

Report Spam   Logged
Ragdoll Cobbler

View Profile
Linux User Level 5 1000 Posts
« Reply #2692 on: October 16, 2020, 21:08:23 pm »

Some are free agents because their wage demands were too high, often the result of bad advice from agents. There will be useful players available, whether they will lower their demands to a realistic level (for The Cobblers) remains to be seen. Many clubs will be chasing the same players.

But are these "wage hungry" players the type we should be targeting anyway??

Current squad has no leaders or fighters...Goode, Turnbull, Oliver & McCormack have not been adequately replaced.

Playing hoofball only worked as we had the perfect target man who we assumed would re- sign without actually making sure he did. Smith was always the back up in L2 and is not good enough to play the Oliver role in L1.

Nuttall seems a bizzare signing and waste of a decent wage...

Fvcking groundhog day every time we get promoted!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #2693 on: October 16, 2020, 21:54:11 pm »

Face it, they are the dregs.

I get the impression that you have a poor impression of humanity - ?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest3086

« Reply #2694 on: October 16, 2020, 22:19:21 pm »

I get the impression that you have a poor impression of humanity - ?

I love my baby cos she does good sculptures.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #2695 on: October 17, 2020, 09:29:34 am »

Only the most claret tinted happy clapper could argue that our strongest starting eleven is stronger than the play off winning team

On the face of it, you're absolutely right. I share your concerns about the summer recruitment and you could argue that we seem weaker than the Wembley side in almost every position with the possible exception of the wing backs. 

However:

- Only the 'most claret-tinted happy clapper' would have predicted promotion last year after 4 points from the opening 5 games (the same as we've got this year)
- Only the 'most claret-tinted happy clapper' would have predicted that Curle would develop Vadaine Oliver into a sought-after league-one-standard striker and Charlie Goode into a £1.5 million Championship centre back
- Only the 'most claret-tinted happy clapper' would have predicted that we would reach Wembley after the 2-0 home defeat by Cheltenham
- Only the 'most claret-tinted happy clapper' would have predicted that we would beat Exeter 4-0

My point is that 1. Curle has consistently defied expectations and 2. Curle has a strong track-record of developing and improving players (particularly centre backs - Pierre and Wharton being further examples).

A look on this site this time last year would have yielded very similar posts. We are not the finished article yet and it's too early to judge the impact that players like Horsfall, Racic, Sowerby, Rose and Seal will have once they are fully attuned to Curle's methods. That doesn't mean that we can't use this forum for constructive criticism and debate though; I hate 'happy clappers' just as much as you. It's just that I think Curle has consistently proven people wrong since he entered this football club and that buys him quite a bit more time patience than most of his predecessors. For me, the objective this season is very simple: survive in this league and establish a platform to consolidate in the years to come. Given the unlikely nature of our promotion last year, a successful survival season would be a major achievement for KC IMO.

We've got quite a large squad now and I don't think it's necessarily the case that we need loads of new signings. However, I've said before that bringing in a couple of experienced, vocal leaders in defence and midfield could potentially be a calming, nurturing influence on the youngsters around them and would make a huge difference to our ability to compete at this level. These are also the type of players who would potentially be available as free agents.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 12:02:42 pm by bungle » Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #2696 on: October 17, 2020, 09:41:10 am »

I think it's fair to say, and honest, that we missed some of our 1st Choice Targets, so the squad isn't as strong as we like. Particularly in central Defence, though they are still all very young in their Claret careers and haven't yet settled in, so one or two could definiltely do a Langmead.

It's early days, but I like Rose and Mills as signings a lot. I also Sowerby might be something a little different to what we've had before, and the Korboa signing was the type of thing that the fans go on about doing all the time. Do think Goode, Oliver and McCormack would all be improvements on what we have now though.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #2697 on: October 17, 2020, 10:03:09 am »

On the face of it, you're absolutely right. I share your concerns about the summer recruitment and you could argue that we seem weaker than the Wembley side in almost every position with the possible exception of the wing backs. 

However:

- Only the 'most claret-tinted happy clapper' would have predicted promotion last year after 4 points from the opening 5 games (the same as we've got this year)
- Only the 'most claret-tinted happy clapper' would have predicted that Curle would develop Vadaine Oliver into a sought-after league-one-standard striker and Charlie Goode into a £1.5 million Championship centre back
- Only the 'most claret-tinted happy clapper' would have predicted that we would reach Wembley after the 2-0 home defeat by Cheltenham
- Only the 'most claret-tinted happy clapper' would have predicted that we would beat Exeter 4-0

My point is that 1. Curle has consistently defied expectations and 2. Curle has a strong track-record of developing and improving players (particularly centre backs - Pierre and Wharton being further examples).

A look on this site this time last year would have yielded very similar posts. We are not the finished article yet and it's too early to judge the impact that players like Horsfall, Racic, Sowerby, Rose and Seal will have once they are fully attuned to Curle's methods.

We've got quite a large squad now and I don't think it's necessarily the case that we need loads of new signings. However, I've said before that bringing in a couple of experienced, vocal leaders in defence and midfield could potentially be a calming, nurturing influence on the youngsters around them and would make a huge difference to our ability to compete at this level. These are also the type of players who would potentially be available as free agents.

Interesting and readable post. Don’t necessarily agree with some of the Claret comments but appreciate the point made. At least there is an air of positive reasoning. Good to read comments free from OTT posts. 
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
west stand oap

View Profile
« Reply #2698 on: October 17, 2020, 11:48:22 am »

I see that Olayinka has gone on loan to Southend.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #2699 on: October 17, 2020, 11:50:35 am »

I actually think the signings of rose and Bernard ARE decent speculate to accumulate signings
The issue is that the mix is wrong in that the squad has zero experience and higher level quality.
Without this added quality the money ball signings won’t have a chance to show their quality and won’t command decent selling on fees.
The squad lacks any spine and I feel this will result in an instant return to the basement division.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 [135] 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 ... 145   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: