The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 19:36:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Cheltenham Town (h) Play-off Semi-final 1st Leg

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheltenham Town (h) Play-off Semi-final 1st Leg  (Read 11430 times)
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #180 on: June 19, 2020, 07:36:44 am »

The football is so ugly not even its mother would love it. However that is what we will continue to get from Curle until the day he leaves.

As for last night, we had enough chances to score at least 3, none more obvious than the penalty and Oliver's chance in the 2nd half. If we'd got the first goal, the rest of the game would've been a different story in my view.

Taking Morton off was a terrible substitution.

In the end I thought it looked like a game between a team who'd have finished 8th/9th and a team who would have probably made the top 3.

Looking ahead to next season, there are some big decisions to be made. Curle's contract is up, many players contracts are up and many clubs at this level will be struggling to make ends meet so the transfer market will be a very different place with downward pressure on wages.

Personally I will wait and see before committing to a season ticket. I am not sure I can get enthused about another season of Curle ball.

Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #181 on: June 19, 2020, 07:37:58 am »

Looking at things in the cold light of day, I think yesterday was probably a decent game for any neutrals watching, just from the amount of incident and talking points, but a very frustrating game from our perspective.

Yes, we played agricultural and unattractive football but we've done that all season and, like it or not (and I don't) it's been effective enough to carry us into the playoffs, so I don't think any of us should be surprised we played that way last night.

Even playing that way, we made more than enough chances to win the game but were in a wasteful mood, and that's something you have to point the finger at the players over rather than Curle. You also have to applaud the Cheltenham keeper who made a couple of decent stops and commanded his area superbly.

What you can (and I think should) point the finger at Curle for is his poor use of subs which, like the style of play, has been consistent all season.  

Personally, I don't object to the like for like swaps he was doing last night; if we weren't making chances then I would but we were so I don't think the system was the problem. It's the personnel changes that I don't get. To me, if we were going to get a goal it was most likely to come from or via one of Morton's runs. He didn't look like he was flagging to me, so why take him off?? McCormack can't last the whole game and wasn't great last night but surely Pollock would have been a better fit for that role than Anderson? Smith for Oliver made no difference but as others have said what about Marshall?  His pace and trickery against tired legs could have been invaluable in those closing minutes but the last 2 subs went unused.

It's not over by a long chalk, but it's definitely a long way back on Monday now.

For what it’s worth I agree with this - we were very much second best in open play but should have had 3 penalties (Goode was blatantly wrestled to the floor in the first half at a corner and Wharton got tripped in the second half), there’s no guarantee we would have scored any of them though! I also agree that we weren’t clinical enough in either penalty area and that has massively cost us. I can’t see any way back - for one thing I can’t see us keeping a clean sheet at their place which would leave us having to score 3 to just level it. I was very impressed with their keeper who I notice is on loan from Wigan, I thought in comparison Arnold was slow to come off his line to claim crosses and long throws and didn’t seem to dominate his box.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #182 on: June 19, 2020, 07:48:04 am »

Would a lot of the negative comments on here have been made if we'd took our chances, doubt it. On another day we could have won 5-2, their keeper played a blinder and was the difference. Yes we played the same as usual but curles style is what got us into the play offs in the first place, like marmite you either love it or hate it. Cheltenham will be cagey on Monday and if we score early who knows what might happen.

If only Andy if only
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 19, 2020, 07:54:55 am »

For what it’s worth I agree with this - we were very much second best in open play but should have had 3 penalties (Goode was blatantly wrestled to the floor in the first half at a corner and Wharton got tripped in the second half), there’s no guarantee we would have scored any of them though! I also agree that we weren’t clinical enough in either penalty area and that has massively cost us. I can’t see any way back - for one thing I can’t see us keeping a clean sheet at their place which would leave us having to score 3 to just level it. I was very impressed with their keeper who I notice is on loan from Wigan, I thought in comparison Arnold was slow to come off his line to claim crosses and long throws and didn’t seem to dominate his box.

Yes it was interesting and decent comments from BoN.
Report Spam   Logged

Battery Man

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Poll Voter
« Reply #184 on: June 19, 2020, 07:55:38 am »

If Curle can turn that performance round on Monday and keep us in these play offs I will be amazed, saying that I really hope he can. If he manages to get us up to League 1 then he deserves his chance to manage us up there but if (as I expect) we lose on Monday then I think we need a new man who can play football and mix things up in charge for next season.
Report Spam   Logged
claretparrot

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #185 on: June 19, 2020, 08:18:38 am »

After sleeping on it...

The two goal margin maybe flattered Cheltenham a bit but I wouldn't have been able to argue with 0-1 or 1-2.

Oliver is a waste of space and somehow managed to make a glorious opportunity look like a half chance when Morton squared to him early in the second half.

Lots of talk about their 'keeper playing a blinder. He was good, but for me the only save that actually stood out was from the pen (which made Watson's effort look worse than it was).

Our only hope for the second leg is Curle allowing Olayinka to 1) play; and 2) get on the ball in the second leg. Unfortunately I suspect he won't do either.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 08:20:09 am by claretparrot » Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 19, 2020, 08:33:07 am »

Granted we have played well in a few games, some of those you have mentioned. But that is history! Stop living in the past old man!

We created a few chances, their keeper made a couple of good saves, he also saved a penalty (which to be fair, if he'd have dived the other way we'd have all been saying "great penalty, right in the bottom corner")

But its not negative to point out that Cheltenham played the better football, had more shape and discipline, and outmatched us in most areas of the park...not to mention the scoreline. You (yes even you) can not dispute that we were too one-dimensional, and that nothing changed tactic wise or substitution wise for the whole 100 minutes.

You can cling onto the hope that we have played 6 or 7 decent games in 40 this season, and yes its only half time.......I think i've been pretty constructive in my criticism, but above all I'm a realist.....and what I saw today was not good enough for us to win the game, and sadly that was reflected in the final scoreline.

Unfortunately your comments suit your agenda on Curle-you don’t like him or his style! Even by Curle’s/Team standards we didn’t play well and failed to take some good scoring Opportunities. Our style of play last night mirrored the season; I might say what’s changed! Your very first post on the game was an excuse to criticise both players and Curle and more! Did Chelts take us apart going forward - not really. However they played some fancy Dan stuff unopposed in their half - cue on here for a few anticurles to rise up. ‘I am a realist’ from your own perspective maybe.

Report Spam   Logged

claretparrot

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #187 on: June 19, 2020, 08:36:24 am »

Unfortunately your comments suit your agenda on Curle-you don’t like him or his style! Even by Curle’s/Team standards we didn’t play well and failed to take some good scoring Opportunities. Our style of play last night mirrored the season; I might say what’s changed! Your very first post on the game was an excuse to criticise both players and Curle and more! Did Chelts take us apart going forward - not really. However they played some fancy Dan stuff unopposed in their half - cue on here for a few anticurles to rise up. ‘I am a realist’ from your own perspective maybe.

Agree that Cheltenham definitely didn't 'take us apart'. A big frustration for me was our continual fouling in their half - they rarely had to play out all the way from the back as we'd often give away a needless free kick and relieve all the pressure for them.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary 2500 Posts
« Reply #188 on: June 19, 2020, 11:19:51 am »

You can see why Cheltenham have only lost 6 games and have by far the best defensive record in the division. Finishing in 4th place they deserve the final promotion spot and as I have said before I find it ridiculous that you can get promotion from finishing 7th.
Their 'keeper had a good game although I would not say that he played 'a blinder'. He guessed right to make a good save from Watson's underhit penalty but what I most liked was the way he commanded his area which our 'keepers fail to do.
In the lead up to the corner which proceeded their first goal, as they broke up field Goode went down looking for a free kick and the referee did not buy it. I don't think Morton can be blamed as he jumped and the ball cleared his jump. Nobody tracked the scorer and he got in front of Goode.
Possibly we had claims for other penalties but with all the balls we put into their box whenever we won the header we rarely won the second ball and a goal rarely looked imminent.
In the unlikely event that we won promotion this team would need major improvement to compete in division 1 and in the present financial climate I cannot see that happening.
The 1 good thing from last nights game was that we didn't have a player with a haircut like Ben Tozer.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #189 on: June 19, 2020, 11:44:21 am »

I think a lot of folk were looking optimistically, through the long gap we have endured, that maybe we had improved or that things would change or even that other teams had deteriorated. Unfortunately we are exactly the same team playing the same style as we have all season and that style is hard to enjoy. The one thing you can be sure of with Curle is that he won't change so the optimism was ill-founded. There is no way we deserve promotion and Cheltenham are probably the best of the play-off teams.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 19, 2020, 11:53:57 am »

From what I can gather we zonal mark at corners. The lad who scored was probably in Goode's zone. Morton is presumably positioned to try to clear a corner to the near post or get in the way of anyone in Cheltenham's colours trying to get a clean header there.

Those on here more familiar with coaching techniques than I please comment accordingly.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 19, 2020, 11:57:21 am »

I think a lot of folk were looking optimistically, through the long gap we have endured, that maybe we had improved or that things would change or even that other teams had deteriorated. Unfortunately we are exactly the same team playing the same style as we have all season and that style is hard to enjoy. The one thing you can be sure of with Curle is that he won't change so the optimism was ill-founded. There is no way we deserve promotion and Cheltenham are probably the best of the play-off teams.

I think you've nailed it with your comment here. From our perspective without hope we cannot face the day and long may it be so.

You should be a philosopher.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #192 on: June 19, 2020, 12:10:17 pm »

After sleeping on it...

The two goal margin maybe flattered Cheltenham a bit but I wouldn't have been able to argue with 0-1 or 1-2.

Depends on what way you want to look at in terms of football they were the better side, in terms of chances created I don’t think they could have complained if we had won

Oliver is a waste of space and somehow managed to make a glorious opportunity look like a half chance when Morton squared to him early in the second half.

Thought Oliver/Morton looks a million miles better than Smith/Williams

Lots of talk about their 'keeper playing a blinder. He was good, but for me the only save that actually stood out was from the pen (which made Watson's effort look worse than it was).

Seems very Harsh, thought he made good saves from Olayinka, from Oliver from the angle and even though Oliver made a hash of the one on one I thought he did well to stand up and be I a position for it to hit him. Also commanded his area well, on that performance would take him over anything we have.

Our only hope for the second leg is Curle allowing Olayinka to 1) play; and 2) get on the ball in the second leg. Unfortunately I suspect he won't do either.

I’ll agree with you there!

Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #193 on: June 19, 2020, 12:18:23 pm »

From what I can gather we zonal mark at corners. The lad who scored was probably in Goode's zone. Morton is presumably positioned to try to clear a corner to the near post or get in the way of anyone in Cheltenham's colours trying to get a clean header there.

Those on here more familiar with coaching techniques than I please comment accordingly.

Would agree with that....you've got to be very very good and switched on when it comes to zonal marking......top Premier League teams get caught out sometimes...think of Liverpool a couple of seasons ago.

Their centre back actually started off standing alongside Turnbull, nearer the back post....he peeled off Turnbull, ran forward and beat Goode to the header. Morton 's job is to hopefully clear the ball before it reaches the box however it was just too high for him to reach. Morton is there to clear the flat ball, or to stop the opposition putting someone there for an easy flick on.
Someone running on to meet the ball is 9 times out of 10 going to beat a static defender, he has more momentum, He meets the ball instead of the ball meeting him.....
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 19, 2020, 13:08:12 pm »

Thanks GPC.

I guess from Cheltenham's point of view it was a very well executed plan.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #195 on: June 19, 2020, 13:32:34 pm »

Nothing to lose on Monday.

Go for it with this line-up:

Arnold
Harriman, Goode, Wharton, Turnbull
Marshall, Olayinka, McCormack or Lines, Adams
Hoskins, Morton

Yes 4-4-2 and plenty of pace.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 19, 2020, 14:20:16 pm »

Nothing to lose on Monday.

Go for it with this line-up:

Arnold
Harriman, Goode, Wharton, Turnbull
Marshall, Olayinka, McCormack or Lines, Adams
Hoskins, Morton

Yes 4-4-2 and plenty of pace.

I assume you've not seen Curle's post match interview on the official site......especially the line “We won’t change the way we play and we will keep asking questions of Cheltenham."

Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
guest3063

« Reply #197 on: June 19, 2020, 14:26:01 pm »

I assume you've not seen Curle's post match interview on the official site......especially the line “We won’t change the way we play and we will keep asking questions of Cheltenham."

Maybe he's bluffing  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Saint Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #198 on: June 19, 2020, 14:30:49 pm »

After sleeping on it...

Two goal margin definitely did not flatter them, we never looked like scoring, though Morton is always a danger and Olayinka looks to have class and great shooting ability (he is also perhaps a bit casual on the ball sometimes). Their keeper did make 3 or 4 very good saves.

I don't like the constant manager merry go round, but if Curle doesn't go then we are looking forward to more of the same next season.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 19, 2020, 14:31:22 pm »

Maybe he's bluffing  Wink

Maybe! Mysterious Curle may have an ace up his sleeve!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: