The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 14:22:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Cheltenham Town (h) Play-off Semi-final 1st Leg

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheltenham Town (h) Play-off Semi-final 1st Leg  (Read 11219 times)
guest3264

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #200 on: June 19, 2020, 14:35:25 pm »

Maybe he's bluffing  Wink
He has not for the last, non promotional, seasons!!!

Football has moved on from his one dimensional neanderthal tactics.

Football supposed to be part of the entertainment industry!
Report Spam   Logged
Saint Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #201 on: June 19, 2020, 14:49:05 pm »

The Cheltenham manager nailed it in his post match interview when he said "when you come here, you know what you're going to get"
Yea, bloody long throws from Goode that we can pick off with ease. Why is it we continuously play the ball in the air and hardly ever appear to win any headers?
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #202 on: June 19, 2020, 14:57:02 pm »

In 2004 we lost 0-2 at home in the play-off semi-final 1st leg, we were outplayed by a much better footballing side in Keith Curle's Mansfield Town. In the second leg we absolutely murdered Mansfield only for fate (Phil Crossley) to turn against us. Mansfield went through to the final and Curle was a very,very lucky man, we can only hope his luck holds!
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #203 on: June 19, 2020, 15:29:21 pm »

So on sleeping on the disappointment a few comments -

- Not sure why people are so irate about agricultural football - same manager same players that finished in 7th place with a certain style so were we really expecting anything better.
 - Personally I though the game - and particularly the second half reasonably entertaining and I think all of the club and both sets of players deserve praise for putting on a genuine competitive game.
 - On balance we deserved to lose but as previously mentioned lots of their fancy square passing was in their own half and they had appreciably less chances on goal than us
 - Sky coverage was excellent - so much better than I- follow but unfortunately also showed clearly how dreadful we were re zonal marking for the first goal and also in another worrying Cheltenham attack very early in the game when numerous players were marking fresh air.
 - This won't be popular, but karma has caught up with Charlie Goode - he has spent the entire season with cynical gamesmanship, by going down (all 6ft 3 of him) so easily and I suspect word has now got to the officials as he was clearly fouled on the early build up to their first goal and nothing given. The penalty decision was obvious and the ref in a perfect position but again not given.
 - Re the penalty shouts - the one given was, I think the most doubtful as contact looked minimal - the other two, clearly fouls in the area but a first year ref is not going to give 3 pens in one game - strangely that's where you need a ref like Charlie Breakspear, as he would not hesitate to give as many as he felt were correct under the letter of the law.
 - Substitutions were not effective but I think KC would probably have settled for 0-1 at the time and was looking to Monday in respect of Morton - and there is also often a surprise goal in Andy Williams however badly we are playing
 - I love the passion from McCormack who undoubtably has a footballing brain but any creativity was sadly lacking last night  - Scott Pollock has never let us down in that position, has the stamina for 90 mins and is much less likely to risk two yellows.
 - The 2 world class efforts on goal by Olayinka who will definitely be playing at a higher level in a couple of years however he can't tackle and a couple of times his trickery let him down and in losing procession put us in a very dangerous position given the number of men we have forward - for me not enough to justify a place in this type of game (obviously if one or both of those efforts had gone in I wouldn't be saying this!)
 - Nicky Adams my MOM - nothing much to say about the others who ranged from average to not very good.
 - Probably all over and even if we fluke it Monday and then the final this style will  see us coming straight back down.

Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #204 on: June 19, 2020, 16:01:10 pm »

View from Cheltenhamshire!

Gloucestershire Live: "They are bloody good aren't they?".
https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/they-bloody-good-arent-they-4243935
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #205 on: June 19, 2020, 18:10:29 pm »

Some good posts, particularly by Cobblerwatch above.

I think the players gave it 100% yesterday and shouldn't bear any blame for the result. We lost against a better side with a tactical fluency which is far beyond us at the moment.

Curle has demonstrated throughout his career that he is a competent lower league manager who can organise a side and guide them to a top ten finish. It's a fairly low bar, but I've said many times it still puts him ahead of quite a few of his predecessors. What he hasn't proved is that he has what it takes to deliver a promotion or to deliver anything like fluent football.

As we all know, the tactics all season have been brutally primitive.  We are chronically lopsided: we have a winger on one side and a defensively minded full back on the other. Our routes to goal are as follows: 1. hoof it up to the big man  2. Pass it to Adams to deliver a deep cross to the big man (he is never able to get to the byline) or 3. hoof into the channels and hope that Morton can nick a set piece. There is no guile and no midfield playmaker (in the Broom mould) to make things happen. The fundamental basics of passing football such as overlaps, triangles, players coming in side and playing one-twos (all the things that Cheltenham were doing easily) are completely lacking from our game.

The question which I would like KT to ask is this: is Curle or willing or able to evolve and develop the team beyond this primitive, front-foot football or has he reached his limit? 

Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #206 on: June 19, 2020, 19:12:24 pm »

Some good posts, particularly by Cobblerwatch above.

I think the players gave it 100% yesterday and shouldn't bear any blame for the result. We lost against a better side with a tactical fluency which is far beyond us at the moment.

Curle has demonstrated throughout his career that he is a competent lower league manager who can organise a side and guide them to a top ten finish. It's a fairly low bar, but I've said many times it still puts him ahead of quite a few of his predecessors. What he hasn't proved is that he has what it takes to deliver a promotion or to deliver anything like fluent football.

As we all know, the tactics all season have been brutally primitive.  We are chronically lopsided: we have a winger on one side and a defensively minded full back on the other. Our routes to goal are as follows: 1. hoof it up to the big man  2. Pass it to Adams to deliver a deep cross to the big man (he is never able to get to the byline) or 3. hoof into the channels and hope that Morton can nick a set piece. There is no guile and no midfield playmaker (in the Broom mould) to make things happen. The fundamental basics of passing football such as overlaps, triangles, players coming in side and playing one-twos (all the things that Cheltenham were doing easily) are completely lacking from our game.

The question which I would like KT to ask is this: is Curle or willing or able to evolve and develop the team beyond this primitive, front-foot football or has he reached his limit? 

Basically, you are saying Curle is s***e.
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #207 on: June 19, 2020, 20:16:25 pm »

I can remember the Bristol game 3-0 down and being outplayed and it still looked grim even after pulling one back.  Home advantage was useful though!
The simple truth it is never wise to write off any Northampton side even when the chips are down.
That year we brought them back to a very partisan Sixfields. These games are basically being held at neutral venues. Best side wins with no excuses about home fans influencing refs or getting on the away teams back or anything like that
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Cordwainer2

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #208 on: June 19, 2020, 20:49:59 pm »

View from Cheltenhamshire!

Gloucestershire Live: "They are bloody good aren't they?".
https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/they-bloody-good-arent-they-4243935
He thinks Ben Tozer is from Daventry! Long way from Plymouth.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #209 on: June 19, 2020, 20:57:47 pm »

He thinks Ben Tozer is from Daventry! Long way from Plymouth.

He's not from Daventry....but he currently lives in Daventry.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #210 on: June 19, 2020, 21:52:06 pm »

Reading many of these posts makes me wonder who was the manager that got us to the play offs before Curle screwed it all up.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 19, 2020, 22:11:13 pm »

Reading many of these posts makes me wonder who was the manager that got us to the play offs before Curle screwed it all up.

In League 2 terms NTFC are one of the better off clubs - supporter base, potential income and so forth. You'd expect the club to be competing at the right end of the table.
Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #212 on: June 19, 2020, 22:21:55 pm »

In League 2 terms NTFC are one of the better off clubs - supporter base, potential income and so forth. You'd expect the club to be competing at the right end of the table.

Yes you would. Have you recently moved here?
Report Spam   Logged
Why?

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 20, 2020, 00:06:33 am »

A referee that decided that ripping shirts off attackers in the penalty area was OK.

A brilliantly saved pen early in the game.

We could have buried them.

What kind of scum are the posters on here?

Oh, it's bad football......  Oh, <Cobblers Player> had a bad game......  Oh, it was like for like in the subs......  Oh, I'm a brilliant tactician who can get players to out-perform Barcelona - and pay them £200 per week. 

You deserve to be a supporter of a club that folds.

Let's face it.  Without Cheltenham doing WWF in their own penalty area (endorsed by the ref), we could have missed 4 pens.

Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #214 on: June 20, 2020, 07:27:12 am »

A referee that decided that ripping shirts off attackers in the penalty area was OK.

A brilliantly saved pen early in the game.

We could have buried them.

What kind of scum are the posters on here?

Oh, it's bad football......  Oh, <Cobblers Player> had a bad game......  Oh, it was like for like in the subs......  Oh, I'm a brilliant tactician who can get players to out-perform Barcelona - and pay them £200 per week. 

You deserve to be a supporter of a club that folds.

Let's face it.  Without Cheltenham doing WWF in their own penalty area (endorsed by the ref), we could have missed 4 pens.

The football being dished up is unacceptable .
It’s neither entertaining or a winning formula .
We are not even good at it .
Embarrassing to the game quite honestly .
Report Spam   Logged
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #215 on: June 20, 2020, 09:03:23 am »

FFS. It was an entertaining game - did anyone watch the Colchester game on before?
We missed a pen and should have at least one other.
They were prettier than us but created a lot less chances.
I couldn’t question anyone’s commitment on the field.
Until that rather fortunate 2nd goal went in, I was feeling quietly confident.
Super Sammy was missing and clearly with him we would have at least still been in it.
Let’s have some balance eh?
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #216 on: June 20, 2020, 10:32:04 am »

Basically, you are saying Curle is s***e.

No, I wouldn't say that he is 's***e'. As I said, he has proven that he is competent lower league manager who consistently guides teams to top 10 finishes. We've had plenty of managers who have been worse than that.

For me, the big question is whether he can be more than that or whether he has reached his limits with us. It took Wilder three seasons to produce a fluent, title-winning side. On the other hand, I would say the side he built in his second season with us was better and more tactically fluent than the side Curle has built this season (even though Wilder's team finished lower in the table).

I think Jim Hall is right that it was a pretty entertaining game. Curle's brand of direct hoofball is effective and can even be reasonably entertaining up to a point, but Cheltenham have exposed its limitations several times this year and its limitations would be even more exposed if we were to somehow fluke a promotion into League One. 

I would like to see Curle picking an attacking line up and having a real go at it on Monday. I would choose Marshall over Harriman and possibly Pollock over Watson. Hoskins will come back in (probably for Olayinka) and will make a bit of a difference if he can carry on his improvement in terms of end product. I would rather than lose 5-1 having given it a good go than lose 2-0 with a cautious approach.

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #217 on: June 20, 2020, 11:29:19 am »

Maybe he's bluffing  Wink

You have to remember GPC obsession with KC! His interpretation of KC comment ‘nothing will change’ is his rallying call and certainly suits his anti Curle agenda. It depends on how one wishes to interpret that KC line. He has Hoskins, Marshall and Lines to consider. He will Keep Oliver in as the battering ram! I think KC is tactically right to maintain that line of thought. As you hint KC is correct to maintain a potential hidden surprise in how he selects his team. To me Jim Halls comment are what be should be extolling on here.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 20, 2020, 11:38:05 am »

No, I wouldn't say that he is 's***e'. .......... I would rather lose 5-1 having given it a good go than lose 2-0 with a cautious approach. 

Astonishing comment by an NTFC supporter as 5-1 is a rout Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 20, 2020, 11:46:27 am »

The football being dished up is unacceptable .
It’s neither entertaining or a winning formula .
We are not even good at it .
Embarrassing to the game quite honestly .

We have not got sufficient good players to play the fancy Dan football you feel you are entitled too.  Read Jim Halls comments - might help Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: