The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 16:43:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Cheltenham Town (a) Play-off Semi-final 2nd Leg

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheltenham Town (a) Play-off Semi-final 2nd Leg  (Read 11231 times)
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #220 on: June 23, 2020, 10:57:16 am »

We've seen a number of performances like that throughout this season, just not for anywhere near the full 90+ minutes which is why we have surrendered leads so often.  The only time I was concerned last night was for the 7 added, when we appeared to drop off and allow them a bit more in our final third.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #221 on: June 23, 2020, 11:02:56 am »

After reflecting a bit more I think it was a case of a perfect storm where we couldn’t have played better and they couldn’t have played worse. Our intensity coupled with the fact that they subconsciously sat back on the 2-0 meant that we absolutely battered them for 97 minutes. I don’t know why duff chose to put Reid on the bench (probably concerns over his ability to play 2 x 90 minutes in 5 days) but it worked in our favour. I notice that duff in trying to be gracious still couldn’t help but have a dig at our style of play just like many other managers of teams we have turned over this season.
Report Spam   Logged
1971cobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Search Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #222 on: June 23, 2020, 11:43:34 am »

I notice that duff in trying to be gracious still couldn’t help but have a dig at our style of play just like many other managers of teams we have turned over this season.

Probably because they are embarrassed to properly admit that the better side won convincingly despite them (Duff) supposedly knowing exactly how we were going to play.

Had plenty of time to prepare them physically and mentally, but failed badly.
Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #223 on: June 23, 2020, 12:02:58 pm »

Yes, it's amazing the impact Hoskins had on the squad! Wink Grin

Actually I think he does. Obviously the whole team upped their game for the second leg, but Hoskins offers options that we don't have without him. Everyone says how predictable our play was in the first leg. Hoskins helps us be less predictable by opening up spaces and angles. Oh..... and he scores penalties.
Report Spam   Logged
Clint

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 23, 2020, 12:07:42 pm »

Simply superb last night, all over Cheltnum like a rash for the whole 90+ minutes. What a turn-round from the first leg, funny old game ...
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #225 on: June 23, 2020, 14:20:38 pm »

Don't know about anyone else, buy really didn't feel safe with Arnold in goal - for both ties in honesty.
Martin also giving me kittens when he came on!
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 23, 2020, 14:37:40 pm »

Don't know about anyone else, buy really didn't feel safe with Arnold in goal - for both ties in honesty.
Martin also giving me kittens when he came on!

Same, but I'd have felt the same with Dai in goal as well, they've both got a mistake in them. 
At least we didn't have a rick like the Col U keeper... Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

guest1269

« Reply #227 on: June 23, 2020, 14:58:44 pm »

Well I officially concede I know nothing about football - when I saw the team sheet for last night (given the first leg performance) I thought absolutely no chance. McCormack and Oliver had no impact on the first game but last night they were simply awesome. All the subs last night made me nervous when first announced - but all played their part. Fantastic performance - we one every 50:50 ball and a significant number less favourable. Of course it was robust but we also played some football at times - fantastic and fully deserved result. One shouldn’t tempt fate but a similar performance on Monday and I can’t see any team at our level beating us.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 23, 2020, 15:45:23 pm »

So if any spice needed for the final...the Exeter forum almost to a man (person!) are slating the Cobblers as 'cheats' - that's the introductory post!
While Goode especially has to a large extent sewn the seeds of this reputation, last night was refreshingly absent.
"I only caught the last ten minutes or so of the game last night, but Northampton should be ashamed of themselves"!!!

Bus stop near Plymouth ready to be outmuscled, outplayed (clearly outsupported would events allow) and dumped upon in a playoff final yet again!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 15:47:10 pm by Coolcat » Report Spam   Logged
guest2934

« Reply #229 on: June 23, 2020, 15:55:25 pm »

I love Keith's football. Who wants all that tippy tappy bollocks in you're own half anyway? Waste of time, foreign shit that is.

Get the fucker in there where it hurts. That was proper English football last night and every fucker loved it.

We've made league two football cool.  
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 23, 2020, 16:02:38 pm »

The Cheltenham fan's forum isn't complaining about the result being wrong - just their team's performance;

http://robinsnestforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27758&start=35
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #231 on: June 23, 2020, 16:02:53 pm »

As one of the most vociferous of Curle's critics on Thursday, I'm certainly one of a number of posters on here you should be eating humble pie right now.

I still stand by argument that we were predictable and primitive on Thursday and that we have been in quite a few games this year.

However, what Curle managed to deliver yesterday was a masterclass in intense and exciting direct football to go alongside the Bristol Rovers home play-off in the history of great Cobblers comebacks.

So why was it so different? Well, from a tactical point of view I think the return of Hoskins and the deployment of Harriman in a seemingly more advanced position made all the difference.

Hoskins' capacity to run at pace with the ball at his feet made us less predictable and opened up some crucial space for Morton and Oliver by giving the defence another threat to think about. Harriman's excellent forward runs made us much less lopsided and dependent on Adams' flank alone. His anticipation set up the third goal and Morton should have played him in to get a fourth himself late on.

Another interesting tactical change was that Goode appeared to be encouraged to get forward on the flanks as a Wilder-style 'overlapping centre' back. Goode's crosses were dangerous in the first half and Oliver nearly scored from one.

Equally as importantly to the tactical side, Curle got the psychology absolutely nailed on for this one. From the mind games of '2-0 is the most difficult score in football' to the watching of the Arsenal-Liverpool documentary, he clearly had everyone fired up and playing the game of their lives.

McCormack, Oliver and Morton were obvious stand outs, but the whole team played with an intensity and desire which was breathtaking to behold.

I thoroughly enjoyed every moment and I hope Curle uses this as the benchmark for his future at the club.

Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 23, 2020, 16:03:32 pm »

Excellent and honest report here from Gloucs Live;

Gloucestershire Live: Cruel end to a season of progress for Cheltenham Town - verdict on semi-final defeat by Northampton Town.
https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cruel-end-season-progress-cheltenham-4254101
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 23, 2020, 16:17:47 pm »

Excellent and honest report here from Gloucs Live;

Gloucestershire Live: Cruel end to a season of progress for Cheltenham Town - verdict on semi-final defeat by Northampton Town.
https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cruel-end-season-progress-cheltenham-4254101

'Cruel' is an anagram of Curle... Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #234 on: June 23, 2020, 17:59:10 pm »

The Cheltenham fan's forum isn't complaining about the result being wrong - just their team's performance;

http://robinsnestforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27758&start=35

Made me laugh that one of their supporters said he wouldn’t swap any of the strikers at Cheltenham for Morton! they’re more than welcome to their mediocre front line.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #235 on: June 23, 2020, 18:55:42 pm »

Hubert Parry has Boot and Shoe weighed up though!  Wink

http://robinsnestforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27742&start=70
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #236 on: June 23, 2020, 19:47:30 pm »

Last night was how I like to see us play with the constant pressing and not giving the opposition any time on the ball to pick a pass they hurriedly get rid and we end up winning the ball back. This was like CW's promotion season when Holmes, Adams etc harried defenders into hacking their clearances anywhere.
Arial bombardments like at Burton and last night cause teams problems that many cannot cope with. In the first game we allowed Cheltenham too much time on the ball to play their game and they looked like the better team but last night they were not allowed to play and could not cope and it would not have have been an injustice if their defeat was by a heavier margin.
I have said several times that I think KC is the best manager we have had since CW. His pre match planning and attention to the opposition strengths and weaknesses is first class and he has not made as many questionable signings as previous managers. Like others I have sometimes gone home from games considering we have overdone the long ball but last night showed we can also play attractive football.
I was amazed by some of the comments on here after the team had been announced. Yes Olayinka was the best of a poor bunch on thursday but it was no surprise that he chose Hoskins (over 150 appearances) over a promising youngster with only 2 league starts. This was where Hoskins had to play with us being 2 goals behind rather than at right wing back where Harriman continues to impress.
Promotion or not I expect KC to be rightly be offered a new contract which will not go down well with some on here who have an agenda and should be ashamed of some of their postings. I think he has proved who the muppets are including those that said he would be gone before last xmas.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #237 on: June 23, 2020, 19:53:28 pm »

Any chance of a cinema screen for the final ?
Drive in cinemas are allowed .
Sit closer and watch it on your phone.
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #238 on: June 23, 2020, 20:00:11 pm »

Firstly, a word for anyone who has done any point scoring comments. Grow up ffs and enjoy the unbelievable outcome that has taken place.

That was the best NTFC performance I have ever seen. To a man, they were astonishing. I've never felt so proud to be a Cobblers fan. I've had zero voice at work all day and couldn't have cared less. Massive congrats to Keith and the boys for a result which will be talked about for decades.

Please play exactly the same on Monday!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
andycobbler

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 23, 2020, 20:29:01 pm »

Firstly, a word for anyone who has done any point scoring comments. Grow up ffs and enjoy the unbelievable outcome that has taken place.

That was the best NTFC performance I have ever seen. To a man, they were astonishing. I've never felt so proud to be a Cobblers fan. I've had zero voice at work all day and couldn't have cared less. Massive congrats to Keith and the boys for a result which will be talked about for decades.

Please play exactly the same on Monday!

Agree Dan, except for the best performance, but I am old. The performance was excellent and a refreshing change from some of the game's during the season. A Big well done to all involved and the same again Monday please 🙏
Report Spam   Logged

if you hate peterborough clap your hands and Fxxk off poxford.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: