The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 10:18:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Cheltenham Town (a) Play-off Semi-final 2nd Leg

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheltenham Town (a) Play-off Semi-final 2nd Leg  (Read 11225 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #240 on: June 23, 2020, 20:31:14 pm »

'Cruel' is an anagram of Curle... Grin

Grin good one  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #241 on: June 23, 2020, 21:56:16 pm »

Last night was how I like to see us play with the constant pressing and not giving the opposition any time on the ball to pick a pass they hurriedly get rid and we end up winning the ball back. This was like CW's promotion season when Holmes, Adams etc harried defenders into hacking their clearances anywhere.
Arial bombardments like at Burton and last night cause teams problems that many cannot cope with. In the first game we allowed Cheltenham too much time on the ball to play their game and they looked like the better team but last night they were not allowed to play and could not cope and it would not have have been an injustice if their defeat was by a heavier margin.
I have said several times that I think KC is the best manager we have had since CW. His pre match planning and attention to the opposition strengths and weaknesses is first class and he has not made as many questionable signings as previous managers. Like others I have sometimes gone home from games considering we have overdone the long ball but last night showed we can also play attractive football.
I was amazed by some of the comments on here after the team had been announced. Yes Olayinka was the best of a poor bunch on thursday but it was no surprise that he chose Hoskins (over 150 appearances) over a promising youngster with only 2 league starts. This was where Hoskins had to play with us being 2 goals behind rather than at right wing back where Harriman continues to impress.
Promotion or not I expect KC to be rightly be offered a new contract which will not go down well with some on here who have an agenda and should be ashamed of some of their postings. I think he has proved who the muppets are including those that said he would be gone before last xmas.
No, it was amazement or downright shock that it was Watson chosen over Olayinka by the (rightful) inclusion of Hoskins!
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #242 on: June 24, 2020, 11:38:50 am »

If you are going to drop players after 1 poor game there will be constant chopping and changing and we will never have a settled side. on that basis Oliver, McCormack, Goode and a few others would also have been dropped on monday. We need to accept that KC having played the game at the highest level knows more about the game than we do.
Before anybody mentions JFH also playing at the highest level his problem was that he overly concerned on what the other team could do to us than what we could do to them. KC's priority is exploiting the oppositions weaknesses. Big time players do not always make good managers as we have found out in the past with Paddy Crerand, Tony Marchi, Ron Flowers etc.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #243 on: June 24, 2020, 15:54:49 pm »

One of the very best games I've seen us play, and perhaps the very best given the circumstances...but I guess when there has been a big prize on offer,  Bristol Rovers and the Rotherham FA Cup game spring to mind. But Id still say Monday night was better. I've seen most of the games since last Wednesday on sky, and our pumped up display is the only one that springs to mind where a team has shown full on commitment and treated it as their last...

I cant also praise Curle enough. He's been here one full season. Taken us to Wembley as well as the FA Cup 4th round. Whilst halving (give or take) the wage bill...

Why he gets stick, is simply beyond me. He's also made it abundantly clear off the record that his plan is always to evolve the style of play. He clearly believes he doesn't currently have the right set of players to play a more possession based game (subjective and I personally would disagree with that) and in order to get the best out of them...win your battles first and foremost, get the ball up field early, and then 'play football'. We've done that a few times this season already with great effect, most notably at Burton.

I feel a lot of people mistake this as just pure hoof ball. The problem with it is, if a defender has our target man in his pocket, it does often backfire. Hoskins was a big miss as well last week, he provides pace and non stop running. Which in turn creates space for his team mates. We really really did miss his presence, and like with KC, I don't buy into those views who continuously slate him because in my mind 'they are missing something'.

Win or lose on Monday, this season has been a success and we have over achieved given the mess we were in 18 months back. I hope we see KC given the opportunity to evolve this current squad next season, hopefully in league1, but if not, then it wont be the end of the world.

One final point. There's only been 2 or 3 years in the last 30 plus where we've had a dressing room that 'is so close'. That alone can take you places.

Roll on Monday...I would absolutely love to see KC win his first promotion with us. And it would be bloody well earned.

Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #244 on: June 24, 2020, 16:22:37 pm »

One of the very best games I've seen us play, and perhaps the very best given the circumstances...but I guess when there has been a big prize on offer,  Bristol Rovers and the Rotherham FA Cup game spring to mind. But Id still say Monday night was better. I've seen most of the games since last Wednesday on sky, and our pumped up display is the only one that springs to mind where a team has shown full on commitment and treated it as their last...

I cant also praise Curle enough. He's been here one full season. Taken us to Wembley as well as the FA Cup 4th round. Whilst halving (give or take) the wage bill...

Why he gets stick, is simply beyond me. He's also made it abundantly clear off the record that his plan is always to evolve the style of play. He clearly believes he doesn't currently have the right set of players to play a more possession based game (subjective and I personally would disagree with that) and in order to get the best out of them...win your battles first and foremost, get the ball up field early, and then 'play football'. We've done that a few times this season already with great effect, most notably at Burton.

I feel a lot of people mistake this as just pure hoof ball. The problem with it is, if a defender has our target man in his pocket, it does often backfire. Hoskins was a big miss as well last week, he provides pace and non stop running. Which in turn creates space for his team mates. We really really did miss his presence, and like with KC, I don't buy into those views who continuously slate him because in my mind 'they are missing something'.

Win or lose on Monday, this season has been a success and we have over achieved given the mess we were in 18 months back. I hope we see KC given the opportunity to evolve this current squad next season, hopefully in league1, but if not, then it wont be the end of the world.

One final point. There's only been 2 or 3 years in the last 30 plus where we've had a dressing room that 'is so close'. That alone can take you places.

Roll on Monday...I would absolutely love to see KC win his first promotion with us. And it would be bloody well earned.

Those are the only two games I would compare this game with. It was good watching on the telly, but I imagine had I been one in a near capacity crowd, I might now also be saying better than those two performances (though for me, Rotherham away was THE best game).
I've said all along this season, the players we have are more than capable of playing better quality football and succeeding with it, and that's the infuriating thing.
The only thing missing on monday was a Ricky Holmes type player.
Bring on the final.
Report Spam   Logged
Horsham Cobbler

"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look"

View Profile
500 Posts Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #245 on: June 24, 2020, 17:13:16 pm »

From the Cheltenham Town forum, good to see that they are coming to terms with Monday night's events:

"Just sums up the arrogant, entitled and bullying nature of the club. Northampton think they are a bigger club who should not be playing the likes of Cheltenham. They always have. Like other arrogant, entitled bullies, they often attack opponents by referring to behaviour they themselves display. Northampton would have been strutting at the start of the season, self-appointing themselves as odds-on favourites. They would have been strutting before the first leg, scoffing at the thought of playing Cheltenham. So now having won they accuse us of doing that.

Their forum wanted Curle sacked after the first leg as 7th was not good enough and losing in the playoffs was not good enough. In 2004/05 season (I think) I went to Northampton away with a fellow Robin and a Cobbler from my Uni. He viewed it as if us Robins were going for an evening out at White Hart Lane or similar. Spencer scored a late equaliser and our Cobbler mate was spitting foam for days, furious as if they had drawn against a part-time non-league side.

As I said in my previous post, whether it was casually stealing £10m from the Council or the antics of Goode this season, I have seen nothing over the years to change my view of the club. So Oliver’s comments are no surprise
."

Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 24, 2020, 17:24:49 pm »

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/oliver-spurred-cheltenhams-arrogance-ahead-second-leg-fightback-2892993

Oliver's comments (for those who are interested).

Report Spam   Logged
southofthecounty

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #247 on: June 24, 2020, 17:35:39 pm »

From the Cheltenham Town forum, good to see that they are coming to terms with Monday night's events:

"Just sums up the arrogant, entitled and bullying nature of the club. Northampton think they are a bigger club who should not be playing the likes of Cheltenham. They always have. Like other arrogant, entitled bullies, they often attack opponents by referring to behaviour they themselves display. Northampton would have been strutting at the start of the season, self-appointing themselves as odds-on favourites. They would have been strutting before the first leg, scoffing at the thought of playing Cheltenham. So now having won they accuse us of doing that.

Their forum wanted Curle sacked after the first leg as 7th was not good enough and losing in the playoffs was not good enough. In 2004/05 season (I think) I went to Northampton away with a fellow Robin and a Cobbler from my Uni. He viewed it as if us Robins were going for an evening out at White Hart Lane or similar. Spencer scored a late equaliser and our Cobbler mate was spitting foam for days, furious as if they had drawn against a part-time non-league side.

As I said in my previous post, whether it was casually stealing £10m from the Council or the antics of Goode this season, I have seen nothing over the years to change my view of the club. So Oliver’s comments are no surprise
."

Grin Grin

You shouldn't be too hard on them. If my team had just produced such an inept, spineless, amateur performance, I too would be wanting to vent my spleen.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #248 on: June 24, 2020, 20:42:16 pm »

Don’t want to be too hard on them but they are straight out of the Boston/Kidderminster/Stevenage bracket. They are going to end up back in non league. Most supporters from these type of clubs have a Napoleon complex (small in stature with a massive chip on their shoulder) hence the rhetoric. The fact is we are in an ever diminishing group that have over a hundred years of unbroken league football. They haven’t and never will. Don’t mean to be unkind, it’s just the way it is:
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
southofthecounty

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #249 on: June 24, 2020, 22:30:37 pm »

I wonder if this shop in Cheltenham is being boycotted?
https://www.visitcheltenham.com/shopping/cobblers-corner-p2491023
Report Spam   Logged
Gnarlbeard

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 25, 2020, 07:02:25 am »

Shame they didn't have the keys to unlock the Cobblers defence...
Report Spam   Logged
guest3359

« Reply #251 on: June 25, 2020, 10:22:53 am »

Wow, that person seems to have a real chip on their shoulder about something! I've never personally seen Cheltenham in that light and enjoyed a couple of visits down there. Their players were arrogant and had every right to be, and yes our players would have been in the situation too.
Never seen Cheltenham as a small club but sounds like he might have SMS!
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 25, 2020, 11:16:29 am »

Don’t want to be too hard on them but they are straight out of the Boston/Kidderminster/Stevenage bracket. They are going to end up back in non league. Most supporters from these type of clubs have a Napoleon complex (small in stature with a massive chip on their shoulder) hence the rhetoric. The fact is we are in an ever diminishing group that have over a hundred years of unbroken league football. They haven’t and never will. Don’t mean to be unkind, it’s just the way it is:
Just wait till you read the thread in Exeweb!
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 25, 2020, 11:19:55 am »

I wonder if this shop in Cheltenham is being boycotted?
https://www.visitcheltenham.com/shopping/cobblers-corner-p2491023
That will drive them around the bend...and off the High Street!  Grin

Karma for the 230 odd of us enduring a wet arrogant night in Cheltenham a few months back...they even have a mouthy choir now!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #254 on: June 25, 2020, 12:38:42 pm »

Just wait till you read the thread in Exeweb!

You are not kidding but how about this effort for total contradiction Grin
When all is said and done, if we can't beat the likes of Northampton with the squad we have then we really don't deserve to be in L1.

And even if we do go up, unless we replace half the squad with better players that are guaranteed to deliver, we'll come straight back down.

One minute he says squad is good enough and then curiously may have to replace half the squad if they win!

Unable to share link as Coolie hints some shocking comments on NTFC  - not for those of a mild disposition
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Monty

View Profile
Windows User Apple User Combination
« Reply #255 on: June 25, 2020, 15:47:59 pm »

."

Grin Grin
Sounds to me like the Cobbler he met at Uni was a bit of a cock, though.
Report Spam   Logged

Hotel End Grand National Sweepstake Winner 2018, Fantasy Premier League Winner 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #256 on: June 25, 2020, 16:47:06 pm »

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/cobbler-crowd-wembley-cutout-deadline-extended-until-10pm-thursday-night-2893046

Cobbler in the Crowd deadline extended...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: