The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 09:05:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

PLAY OFF FINAL: Exeter City (Wembley) 29 June 2020

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PLAY OFF FINAL: Exeter City (Wembley) 29 June 2020  (Read 17203 times)
Saint Cobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #180 on: June 29, 2020, 20:55:29 pm »

Jesus, Paul Anderson has morphed into Brian Blessed?
Cheesy Grin Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #181 on: June 29, 2020, 21:03:25 pm »

4-0 beats 5-2 in my book.
Brilliant stuff.

and mine
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 29, 2020, 21:07:27 pm »

Why does Goode have to take all the throw ins? So predictable!  Grin

big ouch!
Report Spam   Logged

guest3063

« Reply #183 on: June 29, 2020, 21:09:44 pm »

For the second week running.

FANTASTIC PERFORMANCE.

League One here we come. Well done Keith, players and staff.
Report Spam   Logged
sixfields starling

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #184 on: June 29, 2020, 21:17:21 pm »

Absolutely buzzing, everyone to a man was brilliant, thoroughly deserved awesome performance again in the space of a week. Thanks KC, tactics spot on again. A massive thanks also to Morton and Wharton. If we don’t see you in a cobblers shirt again, you have both been class. Also the Exeter manager, very gracious in defeat, we all know that awful feeling getting hammered at a final, best of luck next season, I hope you bounce back and achieve promotion. UTC literally!
Report Spam   Logged
tcobb

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #185 on: June 29, 2020, 21:18:13 pm »

Excellent performance, what a result. A couple of the Exeter lads seemed to have put on a few pounds during lockdown though, or maybe they are just fat  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 29, 2020, 21:24:34 pm »

Such a shame we couldn't be there. Tremendous performance. Looking forward to League 1. Only one side showed up tonight.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #187 on: June 29, 2020, 21:25:24 pm »

Brilliant stuff. I really didn't see that scoreline coming. I'm delighted for Hoskins getting his goal. I think he's come in for a lot of undeserved stick from those who don't recognise what else he brings to the team. While being a fan of his, even I've questioned his end product so to get a goal on the biggest of stages like that is the best response he could give.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
guest2995

« Reply #188 on: June 29, 2020, 21:45:49 pm »

Bradford laid for rest .
That was an awesome performance .
Some excellent performances tonight with Morton and Goode exceptional .
I cannot believe we are promoted - it’s a fantasy world
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 29, 2020, 21:47:59 pm »

The biggest disappointment was that Exeter simply failed to turn up. But for their goalie could have been 7-0. All this garbage about Exeter being a true football side and deserved promotion! Apart from Williams there was not a player worth signing and even he was pretty ordinary.
My biggest fear now is losing Curle a la CW and look what happened!
Report Spam   Logged

GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #190 on: June 29, 2020, 21:53:56 pm »

Credit where credit is due, i've been one of Curles fiercest critics on here, and rightly gave him plenty at many times this season after many abject performances. After that first leg i'd almost given up, so to turn in two performances like the 2nd leg and the Final was just fantastic, and also a little bit frustrating! Why can't we play like that more often than not?

We could be a match for anyone, and I include League 1 in that, tactics were good for the last two games after too much reliance on "hoof" in the first leg.

The players turned up big time and to a man put in maximum effort and commitment, showing great togetherness and team spirit.

Well done to Keith Curle, finally achieving a long overdue managerial promotion.

Will be interesting to see what happens now....will KC stay on? Will we keep most players, or will the loss of the likes of Wharton and Morton be too big a hole to fill. Many out of contract players and the uncertainty about football next season (season ticket and matchday sales/income) etc, will we be in a position to strengthen?

An interesting couple of months ahead, but for now lets all enjoy the most unexpected of promotions, and enjoy at least one season back in League 1!

Well done NTFC, management, players, supporters and backroom crew.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 29, 2020, 21:58:34 pm »

The biggest disappointment was that Exeter simply failed to turn up. But for their goalie could have been 7-0. All this garbage about Exeter being a true football side and deserved promotion! Apart from Williams there was not a player worth signing and even he was pretty ordinary.
My biggest fear now is losing Curle a la CW and look what happened!

Reading through the 65 page(!) match thread on their forum, most of their fans are criticising Taylor for changing formation and going out to nullify our threats rather than play their own game. The result was that they just didn't have a clue what to do.
I liked the look of Williams, a good attacking winger who takes players on....as for the rest, and I include the goalie who looked shaky from the first minute until he made two or three decent saves, you're right, I couldn't pick a single player out from their team who i'd swap for one of our own.
Report Spam   Logged

Shoemaker

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 29, 2020, 22:01:08 pm »

Only the cobblers could put in two performances like that after an embarrassing and fully deserved 2-0 home defeat by Cheltenham.

It’s also typical that it happened without the fans.
Can you imagine what the atmosphere would have been like....

Anyway it’s great to have somehow gained promotion and lay the bradford defeat to bare.

I feel this game will be even more historic as time passes and the cobblers will always be the first team to win a behind closed doors final.

I think because it was BCD the magnitude of it hasn’t really hit home
A 4-0 wembley victory....

That can’t be taken away fans or no fans...

Total respect for turning things around and making me eat humble pie.
Same goes to KC
I respect his honesty that the football is direct but in fairness I have to respect that those players wanted to play for him.
The more I hear him the more chuffed I was that he’s got his first promotion.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #193 on: June 29, 2020, 22:05:32 pm »

Well KC and the team, I don't think I have ever felt so relaxed watching us play as we dominated the game as we had a week ago. Neither Cheltenham or Exeter had a creditable effort on target in either game.
We now have a positive goal difference from our 4 visits to wembley and must be the first team promoted from division 2 with 58 points.
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #194 on: June 29, 2020, 22:08:18 pm »

Now just to hope that the fixture list puts all the good away days for the end of the season when there might be a slim chance of being able to go to them
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Travelaway

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 29, 2020, 22:09:29 pm »

Do we now hold the record for highest and lowest attendance at Wembley for a L2 play off ... Grin Grin Grin Grin

AND WIN...
Report Spam   Logged
Clint

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 29, 2020, 22:13:13 pm »

Do we now hold the record for highest and lowest attendance at Wembley for a L2 play off ... Grin Grin Grin Grin

AND WIN...
Absolutely. Plus, our best performance of all Wembley appearances. Bugger we couldn't be there though ...
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 29, 2020, 22:17:09 pm »

Now just to hope that the fixture list puts all the good away days for the end of the season when there might be a slim chance of being able to go to them

Current proposals see a 12th September start with the hope of fans being present, even if capacity is restricted initially.

The EFL meet this week to put forward a firm proposal.

League 1 playoffs haven't started yet though, and the Championship still has 7 games to go before the playoffs......their final is scheduled to take place on 4th August!
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 29, 2020, 22:25:33 pm »

Curle said he had a season tkt holder throw his ST at him due to current style of play.....can think of two or three candidates but please own up who ever did it? We can then have a just a little friendly chuckle.
Report Spam   Logged

Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #199 on: June 29, 2020, 22:28:25 pm »

I thought this was interesting on the BBC Radio Northampton interview - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53229906

Curle hopeful of extending Morton stay

The Cobblers will now return to League One after two years in the fourth tier - and Curle says he is in talks with West Bromwich Albion about keeping 20-year-old loan striker Callum Morton.

He was man of the match at Wembley, having previously scored twice in the semi-final second leg as Northampton became just the third side to overturn a two-goal first-leg deficit to reach a play-off final.

"Those conversations have preliminarily already taken place," Curle told BBC Sport. "We know in our opinion Callum is a player that needs to be progressing.

"He had a standstill with a bad injury, but this goes back to our recruitment. We knew about Callum 18 months ago and we tried signing him just over a year ago.

"As soon as he was back training and played one game we signed him and said that we would nurse him back in and give him the time to develop.

"Hopefully West Brom see a player of theirs developing, scoring goals and creating headlines."
I assume he means on loan again considering the text, as West Brom would not care that much about him developing if we got him permanently, but I live in hope.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: