The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 12:04:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

League One 2020-2021 Season

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: League One 2020-2021 Season  (Read 19141 times)
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #200 on: July 31, 2020, 15:34:50 pm »

My guess is that we will have to be more pragmatic (I would actually say "adult") about allowing those most not at risk freedom of movement whilst protecting properly those most at risk. The science community also need to firm up on when they will have a vaccine and how effective it is expected to be. As you know the flu vaccine issued every year only ever has partial success.

I couldn’t disagree more. Even if deaths would be limited at the least at risk groups, by having Covid rampant in society which is what would happen, there is only so much you can do to protect the vulnerable, not to mention surely a duty of care towards essential workers. If that means no fans in grounds among other inconveniences then so be it.

Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #201 on: July 31, 2020, 16:12:06 pm »

I couldn’t disagree more. Even if deaths would be limited at the least at risk groups, by having Covid rampant in society which is what would happen, there is only so much you can do to protect the vulnerable, not to mention surely a duty of care towards essential workers. If that means no fans in grounds among other inconveniences then so be it.

Agreed, those 'most not at risk' could and are shown to have been carriers to those who are at risk.  It is happening now which is why the death and infection figures are once again rising.
People have taken the relaxation too far, taking the Government advice with a pinch of salt, in their own sense of entitlement.  They are the first to complain when one of their close family and/or friends ends up on the mortuary slab when they could have been the ones to have caused it.
Despite it now not being part of a saturated news coverage, it hasn't gone away!
We are still a long way from anywhere near full stadia again.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #202 on: July 31, 2020, 17:53:29 pm »

Agreed, those 'most not at risk' could and are shown to have been carriers to those who are at risk.  It is happening now which is why the death and infection figures are once again rising.
People have taken the relaxation too far, taking the Government advice with a pinch of salt, in their own sense of entitlement.  They are the first to complain when one of their close family and/or friends ends up on the mortuary slab when they could have been the ones to have caused it.
Despite it now not being part of a saturated news coverage, it hasn't gone away!
We are still a long way from anywhere near full stadia again.

Agreed with all the sentiments expressed here.

Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 31, 2020, 19:22:28 pm »

Worth bearing in mind that in the case of Wigan the deduction has already taken place and the appeal already lodged. This will be heard on 31st July.

In the case of both Derby and Sheffield Wednesday they have both been charged...but thats it. Wednesday were charged in November 2019, and Derby in January 2020. Neither have yet been found guilty and therefore neither have had any punishment dished out on them, and therefore neither have appealed! The timeframes before next season are now pretty short, so its highly unlikely that a punishment in the form of points deduction will be made, appeal heard and new judgement published before the start of 2020/21 season. More than likely these two will face any potential points deduction next season rather than keep a number of teams hanging on not knowing which Division they will be playing in. Its only 4 weeks until the fixtures for next season are published.

EFL Verdict on Sheffield Wednesday

An independent Disciplinary Commission, appointed under EFL Regulations, has ruled that Sheffield Wednesday will receive a 12 point deduction for breaching the League’s Profitability and Sustainability Rules for the three season reporting period ending with Season 2017/18.

The sporting sanction will take effect in season 2020/21.

The Club was charged in November 2019 and referred to an independent Disciplinary Commission, which conducted a full hearing at the end of June 2020, before finding the Club guilty based on the fact that the Club should not have included profits from the sale of Hillsborough Stadium in the Club’s financial statements for the period ending July 2018.

The Club was found not guilty of a further charge of breaching its duty of utmost good faith to the EFL by deliberately concealing information from the League in respect of filings made in respect of the Profitability and Sustainability Rules.

****************************************************************************************************************

Quite a few rumours on the Owls Forum that they might may yet end up in Administration.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 19:24:08 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

guest3086

« Reply #204 on: July 31, 2020, 19:36:50 pm »

Bearing in mind that SARS-CoV-2 is here to stay and that it is extremely unlikely fans will be able to attend in the forthcoming season where does that leave us? It seems that buying and selling players is a very precarious activity. Are we all doomed?
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #205 on: July 31, 2020, 21:11:31 pm »

Like any fan who has renewed season tickets, I just hope we can get some value from it. But did so out of loyalty, to contribute towards keeping the club going etc. Failure to do so, I hope I can log on to the i-player, have a barbecue, few beers (worked well in the play offs!) and make the most of a sh1t situation...

My own expectations...unless a vaccine is found (I remain optimistic that the best team in the world can live up to that tag) we will struggle to see much live football this year. BUT. I remain hopeful. You never know.

At the end of the day, I take a week at a time. Oxford...sort it eyt. Ill even sing your name when we play you. I promise!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #206 on: July 31, 2020, 22:21:54 pm »

Covid will be sorted sooner rather than later. Either they will find a vaccine or people will rebel and lockdown measures will become less and less effective and it will take its natural course? I’m not suggesting that is the right thing to do, just that it is inevitable and you can sense the beginnings of it over here? Either way it won’t drag on indefinitely. Not sure where that leaves football though?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 01, 2020, 09:34:49 am »

Covid will be sorted sooner rather than later. Either they will find a vaccine or people will rebel and lockdown measures will become less and less effective and it will take its natural course? I’m not suggesting that is the right thing to do, just that it is inevitable and you can sense the beginnings of it over here? Either way it won’t drag on indefinitely. Not sure where that leaves football though?

Thks Melly you’ve cheered us all up!
Report Spam   Logged

Shoemaker

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #208 on: August 01, 2020, 12:26:54 pm »

Oxford mean business
They’ve signed matty taylor and are set to sign Omar boggle
That’s some forward line....

Meanwhile we have one forward and are prepared to wait till the last minute to see if we can sign Callum Morton.

Recipe for disaster imo.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 01, 2020, 12:28:44 pm »

Thks Melly you’ve cheered us all up!
Sorry Evers, perhaps not the wisest commentary on reflection?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 01, 2020, 13:24:33 pm »

Sorry Evers, perhaps not the wisest commentary on reflection?

no probs  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

guest3264

« Reply #211 on: August 01, 2020, 13:31:30 pm »

Oxford mean business

Meanwhile we have one forward and are prepared to wait till the last minute to see if we can sign Callum Morton.

Recipe for disaster imo.

Dear Mr Jonah,

Have you EVER posted a positive comment about NTFC who you pertain to support?           

All the other clubs in the League are holding back on signings.........or have you not noted the facts for your arguement?
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 01, 2020, 13:31:47 pm »

Oxford mean business

Recipe for disaster imo.

It isn't any better than Hoskins and Smith. Apart from Grimsby Bogle has been an expensive failure at two clubs sooner Oxford than us! Matty Taylor is now nearly 40yrs!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 22:20:28 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

Aitobs

View Profile
500 Posts Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #213 on: August 01, 2020, 13:35:52 pm »

I normally think you talk a lot of sense on here MC, but I can't agree with any of this. People were saying similar things in March (Johnson even blustered in March about 'turning the tide in 12 weeks' and 'sending the coronavirus packing') but none of it has really transpired. Allowing the coronavirus to "take its natural course" would lead to an explosion in cases, overwhelmed hospitals, a shot economy, and untold levels of grief and destitution.

You say "it won't drag on indefinitely" but it could be with us for many years to come. This is not an issue for football that is going away any time soon.

I think you have a different view in Australasia because, by all accounts, Scott Morrison and Jacinda Ardern have done a very good job at containing the pandemic in their respective countries, by taking bold, brave, prompt, scientifically-grounded and correct decisions. Contrast that to the complete chaos, indecision and incompetence from the UK government (which was always likely given the blithering, bumbling idiot at the top) and you can see why many people in the UK are terrified of what might happen next. It was the British public who took this country into lockdown because the politicians were asleep at the wheel. We don't have the luxury of being confident in our government.

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 01, 2020, 13:43:30 pm »

I normally think you talk a lot of sense on here MC, but I can't agree with any of this. People were saying similar things in March (Johnson even blustered in March about 'turning the tide in 12 weeks' and 'sending the coronavirus packing') but none of it has really transpired. Allowing the coronavirus to "take its natural course" would lead to an explosion in cases, overwhelmed hospitals, a shot economy, and untold levels of grief and destitution.

You say "it won't drag on indefinitely" but it could be with us for many years to come. This is not an issue for football that is going away any time soon.

I think you have a different view in Australasia because, by all accounts, Scott Morrison and Jacinda Ardern have done a very good job at containing the pandemic in their respective countries, by taking bold, brave, prompt, scientifically-grounded and correct decisions. Contrast that to the complete chaos, indecision and incompetence from the UK government (which was always likely given the blithering, bumbling idiot at the top) and you can see why many people in the UK are terrified of what might happen next. It was the British public who took this country into lockdown because the politicians were asleep at the wheel. We don't have the luxury of being confident in our government.

The Royal 'we' to boot. Australia has a serious issue at the moment Roll Eyes But hey this is about L1 season so digress.
Report Spam   Logged

TownOwl

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #215 on: August 01, 2020, 13:54:26 pm »

It isn't any better than Hoskins and Smith. Apart from Grimsby Bogle has been an expensive failure at two clubs sonner Oxford than us! Matty Taylor is now nearly 40yrs!

Grin Grin Grin
Oh Evers... That was a joke, right?
(Two Matty Taylors, there's only...)
Report Spam   Logged

Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes
Aitobs

View Profile
500 Posts Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #216 on: August 01, 2020, 13:57:46 pm »

The Royal 'we' to boot. Australia has a serious issue at the moment Roll Eyes But hey this is about L1 season so digress.

I say 'we' as I speak for the vast majority of Brits, with recent figures showing UK government's handling of the coronavirus is only approved of by 34% of people - the lowest in the world. Meanwhile, Australia's Scott Morrison has an approval rating of +78.

You are right that Australia has an issue, but it is worth putting these things into perspective. Australia has so far had 200 coronavirus deaths, whilst the official UK death toll stands at 46,000, with some estimates including one from the Financial Times putting it as high as 65,000. Every one is a tragedy.

New Zealand have already allowed fans back into football stadiums. Due to great leadership, they are Covid-free.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 14:04:11 pm by Aitobs » Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 01, 2020, 14:07:28 pm »

Grin Grin Grin
Oh Evers... That was a joke, right?
(Two Matty Taylors, there's only...)

Blimey you noticed! Yes it was a poor mans joke. I did like the real Matty Taylor and never forgot his well taken Penalty at Wimbledon!
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 01, 2020, 14:12:06 pm »

I say 'we' as I speak for the vast majority of Brits, with recent figures showing UK government's handling of the coronavirus is only approved of by 34% of people - the lowest in the world. Meanwhile, Australia's Scott Morrison has an approval rating of +78.

You are right that Australia has an issue, but it is worth putting these things into perspective. Australia has so far had 200 coronavirus deaths, whilst the official UK death toll stands at 46,000, with some estimates including one from the Financial Times putting it as high as 65,000. Every one is a tragedy.

New Zealand have already allowed fans back into football stadiums. Due to great leadership, they are Covid-free.

Thanks Jezza - ' I say 'we' as I speak for the vast majority of Brits' - bet you are not Roll Eyes No more on this from me.  Its anti thread!

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2020/06/03/approval-government-handling-coronavirus-sinks-low
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 14:17:59 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 01, 2020, 15:20:06 pm »

Perhaps you should read it again? I didn’t suggest it should take its natural course, rather that people seem to be starting to rebel against government restrictions meaning that it may? At no point did I recommend it as a course of action? Even so, perhaps not the most advisable of statements as I said?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: