The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 07:32:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Bristol City (a) EFL Cup R2 - 16/09/20

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol City (a) EFL Cup R2 - 16/09/20  (Read 5276 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2020, 13:46:44 pm »

Against a team geared up for the Prem, we were 2nd best.

But, bear in mind, the amount of money Bristol City are spending.

They showed silky skills, incredible accuracy in passing, and.... what more to say.

On another day, things may have been different.

But, there was no shame in this defeat.

The 3 in defence need to learn more about not getting sucked into goal, only for the ball to be played behind them.

Everyone standing up to an attacker needs to learn when to mis-time their tackle without being booked.

Everyone needs to understand that the level of quality seen against Bristol City will NOT be repeated at any stage in Div 1.

If we can learn a new standard, let's learn.  Every person at the club is desperate for us to succeed.  And, we will succeed.

Curle said he picked up a strong side but by half time that was in doubt. I appreciate your plaudits for the side last but any side losing 4-0 and in an embarrassing manner deserves an investigation into selection methods! Simply not good enough to lose in that manner!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2020, 13:52:55 pm »

Everbrite I agree with you and the score flattered us, not them. We also keep on going on about wha a great Youth set up we have, I’ve yet to see anyone hold down a place in the first team!
Report Spam   Logged
OCoole

View Profile
Windows User Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2020, 16:58:07 pm »

Everbrite I agree with you and the score flattered us, not them. We also keep on going on about wha a great Youth set up we have, I’ve yet to see anyone hold down a place in the first team!

This. Compare it to Crewe, most of whom's squad and indeed starting XI is built from academy graduates. That's when one should boast of how great an academy one possesses.

That said, I was impressed with Caleb Chukwuemeka. I like the look of him and think he could go on to be an asset to our squad, just as McWilliams and Pollock are in my opinion. I am still to be convinced by the others (not that there are too many others given a clutch of them were released in the summer).

I think the academy is holding it's own and is clearly well run, but it certainly isn't as prolific as many other clubs' in our division - nor as prolific as the club's social media team make out.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 17:03:24 pm by OCoole » Report Spam   Logged
OCoole

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2020, 17:17:12 pm »

As for the game, I felt it was an odd performance from a KC side.

As we saw at times last season, when we don't press high up the pitch and look to win the second balls, our direct style becomes so very ineffective. By contrast, when we do do those things and do the "fundamentals" as Mr Curle likes to call them, we are as difficult as most at our level to beat.

I think the killer for us yesterday was how deep our wing-backs were for 95% of the game (barring the opening 5-10 minutes perhaps when we did look to take the game to them). This surely had to be because of KC's own instructions as it looked out of character how unwilling Harriman was to venture beyond much his centre-backs line. Joe Martin looked every bit a National League player in my opinion at both wing-back and perhaps even more so at centre-back - particularly when losing out on a header for one of the goals. He really doesn't look cut out for this level.

The front 3 were clearly told to not press Bristol City's centre backs, instead to try to block off the passing channels to their midfield. This did not work at all and this was evident by their insanely high possession stat - 78% of 90 minutes and the scoreline. Kasey Palmer in particular was taking the p1ss out of us.

I can understand that KC was attempting to win by a hard earned 1-0 smash and grab or even on penalties after a deadlock. However for me it was a little bit ill thought out and I think we would have been better off sticking to our principles; principles that served us very well when beating Cardiff 3-0 just a week or so earlier.

As a final thought, we really need to bring in both another centre-back and centre-midfielder as soon as possible as Racic, Bolger, Horsefall, Missilou and Watson are surely all going to be exhausted and picking up injuries before long!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 17:19:41 pm by OCoole » Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2020, 17:34:44 pm »

This. Compare it to Crewe, most of whom's squad and indeed starting XI is built from academy graduates. That's when one should boast of how great an academy one possesses.

That said, I was impressed with Caleb Chukwuemeka. I like the look of him and think he could go on to be an asset to our squad, just as McWilliams and Pollock are in my opinion. I am still to be convinced by the others (not that there are too many others given a clutch of them were released in the summer).

I think the academy is holding it's own and is clearly well run, but it certainly isn't as prolific as many other clubs' in our division - nor as prolific as the club's social media team make out.

I understand your enthusiasm for Cobblers youth but I wish you would look at the facts first. The two examples you have given are hardly reassuring as one seems to have ongoing muscular issues and his future is in serious doubt. As for the latter he too has injury (less serious) issues but the evidence is that he remains a bit of puzzle/doubt.  At his age he should have been a regular first team player but .....

« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 17:38:54 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2020, 18:33:24 pm »

My take on what happened yesterday was that KC chose a side to try to defend and get us to penalties. It didn't work, but I think that's what he tried to do. As we were only a goal down he continued with a similar tactic after the break. When we went 2 goals down perhaps he thought "game over", so let's blood some youngsters.

Personally, I prefer youngsters being brought in with more experienced players to learn from. I don't see them likely to perform well just being thrown on at random all together, especially with no service. Our best service comes from wing-backs, but I don't know if Harriman got forward much (only listened to commentary) and Martin simply isn't a wing back and in my opnion will only be an emergency replacement centre back this season.

We had a bad night, but the doom and gloom merchants should realise that this is nothing like the tactics we'll see most weeks if any of Mills, Adams or Marshall are on the pitch, and those players makes a big difference to the way others play too. Our debutant forwards would probably have been able to show a lot more with one or two of those players on the pitch last night.
Report Spam   Logged
BMON

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2020, 05:05:40 am »

Curle didn't want to win,
it was a practice game for the defence.

Report Spam   Logged
guest2934

« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2020, 16:12:12 pm »

Poor advertisement for Team Northampton Town! Defence fell apart second half and the midfield went awol too.......

How can you have an opinion, you weren't there?

Normally you dismiss anybody's comments on a game if they watched on TV. So it is possible after all...
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2020, 17:35:34 pm »

Curle didn't want to win,
it was a practice game for the defence.

He wanted to win in the first round but once the carrot of a game against Aston Villa was dangled he decided he didn't want to win in the second round!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
OCoole

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2020, 14:21:44 pm »

I understand your enthusiasm for Cobblers youth but I wish you would look at the facts first. The two examples you have given are hardly reassuring as one seems to have ongoing muscular issues and his future is in serious doubt. As for the latter he too has injury (less serious) issues but the evidence is that he remains a bit of puzzle/doubt.  At his age he should have been a regular first team player but .....

Laughable hypocrisy from you! The mere mention of any (very justifiable) criticism of your favourite Mr Cornell last season would result in you throwing around bizarre accusations of a hate campaign or some such rubbish.

No idea why you keep knocking Shaun but it is fully undeserved. As for your doubts on Scott Pollock... he's had 1 injury since signing a pro deal? Furthermore he has performed very impressively for an 18/19 yr old.

I would argue that you saying that Shaun's "future is in serious doubt" is far more severe and certainly more undeserved than the comments about Cornell's goalkeeping that wound you up so much last season!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2020, 14:58:21 pm »

Laughable hypocrisy from you! The mere mention of any (very justifiable) criticism of your favourite Mr Cornell last season would result in you throwing around bizarre accusations of a hate campaign or some such rubbish.

No idea why you keep knocking Shaun but it is fully undeserved. As for your doubts on Scott Pollock... he's had 1 injury since signing a pro deal? Furthermore he has performed very impressively for an 18/19 yr old.

I would argue that you saying that Shaun's "future is in serious doubt" is far more severe and certainly more undeserved than the comments about Cornell's goalkeeping that wound you up so much last season!

Thanks for your astute observations Roll Eyes
Firstly Cornell was not a favourite of mine but he was savagely criticised by some on here in an unfair and inaccurate manner. I thought that he deserved some support and hope you did also. As for knocking Shaun on a regular basis that is patently incorrect so please correct that accusation. However I cannot and will not go back on my opinion of Shaun Williams as it also echos the views of some on here. The same applies to Scott Pollock but he seems in my opinion fails to cement a regular first team/a squad place.  I accept that you are very defensive on both players and probably rightly so! Typically on here opinions vary but I never resorted to calling a fellow fan a hypocrite which is a shameful thing to do so call on you to withdraw that accusation also.
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 23, 2020, 17:56:43 pm »

How can you have an opinion, you weren't there?

Normally you dismiss anybody's comments on a game if they watched on TV. So it is possible after all...

Please give an example of dismissing everybody's opinion if they are not there. Brief highlights are hardly a reasonable medium. Have never dismissed any of your expert comments.... never Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2020, 18:26:38 pm »

Thanks for your astute observations Roll Eyes
Firstly Cornell was not a favourite of mine but he was savagely criticised by some on here in an unfair and inaccurate manner. I thought that he deserved some support and hope you did also. As for knocking Shaun on a regular basis that is patently incorrect so please correct that accusation. However I cannot and will not go back on my opinion of Shaun Williams as it also echos the views of some on here. The same applies to Scott Pollock but he seems in my opinion fails to cement a regular first team/a squad place.  I accept that you are very defensive on both players and probably rightly so! Typically on here opinions vary but I never resorted to calling a fellow fan a hypocrite which is a shameful thing to do so call on you to withdraw that accusation also.
I agree Evers, regarding comments on Cornell.
Given he's now riding high with Ipswich Town must say something!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2020, 18:37:14 pm »

I agree Evers, regarding comments on Cornell.
Given he's now riding high with Ipswich Town must say something!  Wink

As an aside have you been on Oxfords Forum as they seem to a man very unhappy!
Report Spam   Logged

Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2020, 21:46:12 pm »

As an aside have you been on Oxfords Forum as they seem to a man very unhappy!
Apart from on the pitch travesties (they think they have injuries!) they have the hump that almost every club's fans (Pompey, Watford and Sunderland) are turning up with transits, ladders and a flag and watching from the fence end!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
1971cobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Search Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2020, 07:08:01 am »

Apart from on the pitch travesties (they think they have injuries!) they have the hump that almost every club's fans (Pompey, Watford and Sunderland) are turning up with transits, ladders and a flag and watching from the fence end!  Grin

What they need is a hill....

No need for transits (well, other than actually getting there?), or ladders.

Grin
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2020, 09:43:05 am »

What they need is a hill....

No need for transits (well, other than actually getting there?), or ladders.

Grin

They will need good luck in that; as police will most likely take action!
Report Spam   Logged

Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2020, 09:56:29 am »

They will need good luck in that; as police will most likely take action!
No they won't be going at 33MPH which seems to be the only "crime" that interests our local police  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2020, 10:16:50 am »

No they won't be going at 33MPH which seems to be the only "crime" that interests our local police  Wink

Quite right too - over 30mph can be a killer!
Report Spam   Logged

Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2020, 10:41:06 am »

Quite right too - over 30mph can be a killer!
As can under 30 mph  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: