The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 19:46:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Keith Curle appreciation thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keith Curle appreciation thread  (Read 20390 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #160 on: October 19, 2020, 19:37:17 pm »

. But there WOULD be "hundreds of managers" with the same record as KC had when he arrived, which was, worked as a manager, at reasonable sized clubs for 16 years without winning promotion. You talk about KC not jumping ship like CW, there were a couple of reason's that didn't happen, A - KC was almost 10 years older when he won promotion and B- No one came in for him

Liddo this is what you actually wrote :

There are hundreds of would be managers who would accept a 1 year rolling contract at a club like NTFC

So basically I simply asked you to clarify this by nominating 20 would be suitors!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #161 on: October 19, 2020, 20:24:02 pm »

Liddo this is what you actually wrote :

There are hundreds of would be managers who would accept a 1 year rolling contract at a club like NTFC

So basically I simply asked you to clarify this by nominating 20 would be suitors!
To be fair Evers it is correct, I’ll start the ball rolling and between us we’ll crack through this no problem? Dean Austin, JFH, Rob Page, Andy Boothroyd, Gary Johnson, Terry Fenwick, Colin Calderwood definitely. There’s 7, not totally convinced it would solve the problems but apparently that’s of minor importance? Let’s pay off KCs contract, take the next upcoming managerial superstar, dump half the squad in youth team training and pay what it takes to bring in the best free agents money can buy? Don’t worry about the 10s of thousands the club is haemorrhaging every week, the only thing that matters is appeasing fans mood swings and getting the club in the Championship. It is irrelevant that this strategy has failed countless times, if you sit a chimpanzee at a piano long enough it will eventually play a couple of bars of Mozart, everyone knows that? And at the end of the day it’s not our money so who cares, if it fails repeat until it works, simple?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #162 on: October 20, 2020, 09:10:28 am »

All I said was I think we should give our managers a 1 year rolling contract not a 2 year contract. This must be the only place where a statement like that would start an argument of such ferocity, no wonder so few people post on here now  Sad

For you Evers, Graham Alexander, Nigel Clough, Paul Cook, Simon Grayson, Danny Cowley, Sol Campbell, Lee Johnson, Paul Heckingbottom, Nigel Adkins, Mick McCarthy, Paul Tisdale, Graeme Jones, Colin Calderwood, Alan Pardew, Dean Keates, John McGreal, Paul Hurst, Micky Mellon, Keith Hill & Michael Jolley.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 20, 2020, 09:53:26 am »

All I said was I think we should give our managers a 1 year rolling contract not a 2 year contract. This must be the only place where a statement like that would start an argument of such ferocity, no wonder so few people post on here now  Sad

For you Evers, Graham Alexander, Nigel Clough, Paul Cook, Simon Grayson, Danny Cowley, Sol Campbell, Lee Johnson, Paul Heckingbottom, Nigel Adkins, Mick McCarthy, Paul Tisdale, Graeme Jones, Colin Calderwood, Alan Pardew , Dean Keates, John McGreal, Paul Hurst, Micky Mellon, Keith Hill & Michael Jolley.

Basically IMO you are a great Forum colleague but who am I to voice opinion. Please ignore ferocious opinion and fight like a tiger. Only those highlighted fall into shortlist!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 09:56:19 am by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

guest2995

« Reply #164 on: October 20, 2020, 10:30:01 am »

For you Evers, Graham Alexander, Nigel Clough, Paul Cook, Simon Grayson, Danny Cowley, Sol Campbell, Lee Johnson, Paul Heckingbottom, Nigel Adkins, Mick McCarthy, Paul Tisdale, Graeme Jones, Colin Calderwood, Alan Pardew, Dean Keates, John McGreal, Paul Hurst, Micky Mellon, Keith Hill & Michael Jolley.
Sol Campbell ? Lee Johnson  ?? Alan Pardew Huh?
Deary me .
I’d rather keep the Hoofmeister.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #165 on: October 20, 2020, 11:36:13 am »

Deary me .

Paul Cook? Paul Tisdale? Danny Cowley?
Get in there.
Bye bye Hoofmeister.
 Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 20, 2020, 12:00:08 pm »

Paul Cook? Paul Tisdale? Danny Cowley?
Get in there.
Bye bye Hoofmeister.
 Grin

Cowley is the nearest thinking manager to KC methods. Just my view Cry
Report Spam   Logged

Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #167 on: October 20, 2020, 12:06:40 pm »

Deary me .
Sol Campbell did a good job at Macc, Lee Johnson has done reasonably well where ever his been, but his Dad is a tw*t, Pardew would be good at the end of season dance  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 13:10:35 pm by Carton Lid » Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #168 on: October 20, 2020, 12:37:16 pm »

I'd argue that Sol did a good job at Macc, he walked before he was pushed...'amicably by mutual agreement'. 
He was on the verge of a mutiny.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest2995

« Reply #169 on: October 20, 2020, 13:14:16 pm »

Sol Campbell did a good job at Macc, Lee Johnson has done reasonably well where ever his been, but his Dad is a tw*t, Pardew would be good at the end of season dance  Smiley
Three of the most arrogant n*bs in management I would say !
Don’t  get me wrong - I would love to see some of the others here
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #170 on: October 20, 2020, 13:20:17 pm »

I thought this was an appreciation thread, not the next manager thread  Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #171 on: October 20, 2020, 13:30:51 pm »

It beggars belief that we have a manager appreciation thread when the club sits in the bottom four AND on the back of four straight defeats soon to be five.
Only at the Wobblers.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest49

« Reply #172 on: October 20, 2020, 14:04:32 pm »

To be fair Evers it is correct, I’ll start the ball rolling and between us we’ll crack through this no problem? Dean Austin, JFH, Rob Page, Andy Boothroyd, Gary Johnson, Terry Fenwick, Colin Calderwood definitely.

I see what you did there. Quite the rogues gallery. The only certainty is that managers are going to come and go. Curle and Calderwood at least have a 'P' next to their time here. One gave us 'men against girls' v Man Utd and another an embarrassment at Wembley, whilst everyone's favourite nicked a living for a while. The JFH/DA era was a disaster and as for Fenwick....
In nearly 40 years we've had Carr (which didn't end well) and the only real sustained success being Wilder, which would have no doubt ended in tears if he hadn't grabbed his golden opportunity before he'd even got off the double decker.
Someone rinsing out success at our club is rarer than rocking horse poop! Even more so for sustained success. Unless you are pushing 70 you won't remember 'real' success.

Personally there would be no value in parting with Curle, firstly after a promotion which earns additional goodwill. There's no doubt that the pressure is already mounting though if this runs continues for too long. Fingers crossed for a return to winning ways tonight.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2934

« Reply #173 on: October 21, 2020, 09:08:08 am »

Lets face it this season was always going to be about survival in the league and I think KC has enough guile for us to avoid the drop although it wont always be pretty.

What I have found interesting so far being such a strong division this season, is the supposed favourites and big spenders in the division actually look quite ordinary, certainly they have some more quality in areas but they're not all that impressive. Certainly a gap that could be bridged given time.
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #174 on: October 21, 2020, 16:00:13 pm »

Last season KC very much told his players to get the ball forward as quickly as possible, either to Oliver or 'into good areas'.
So interesting to hear him say last night 'if you can't go forward take another touch'. Maybe the style of play is evolving, we certain seemed to surprise Swindon by playing shorter passing football first half. In the second half we went longer to Smith and they coped easily with that.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #175 on: October 21, 2020, 16:55:18 pm »

KC has been labeled a hoof ball merchant. Lets look at the facts for a minute.

Carlisle - I recall vividly that when he came here, we were told to expect gung ho football, where defending was not the priority, scoring goals was.
Mansfield - I certainly do not recall them being hoof ball when they fluked beating us in the playoffs all those years ago. They played good football.

He arrived here, on the back of a manager trying to play total football. We were 22nd. He went direct, got us moving up the table. He then tried to change the tactics (for a brief time) - remember that spell when the keeper started magically rolling the ball out to defenders? Lasted about 2 or 3 games. We lost them. So he went back to basics, hoof ball. We started getting better results.

Then last season, we mainly hoofed it. During a period where he had to sell all of his 'footballers' or technicians as he calls them...Crookes, KVV to name but two...and he dragged us into the playoffs with cheap hoofball signings (Oliver, loans in the main along with solid no nonsense players like McCormack, Goode). We then got promoted, and again...his budget was cut. This time because of COVID.

So step forward into this season. In a higher division, forced to sell his best players/unable to afford 'technicians' to replace them. Smith (cheap hoofball signing last season who couldn't get into the team) becomes his number 1 striker. Other creative signings were risks, but could pay off in time. In the main. He started them off playing it simple, simple instructions. 4 points from the first 2 matches. So he carries that tactic on...

...we lose to two sides...Hull and Posh...who totally outplayed us. Bristol Rovers we were holding our own until a stupid foul (pen) and then a sending off...we were then totally outplayed. Next up was Plymouth...we stopped hoofing it. He'd come to the conclusion quickly that hoofball to Smith was not the way forward, and coupled with the surprise factor of how good some of the cheap technicians were (Korboa, Benny in particular), he decided to 'trust them more'.

Then last night arrived. Some great football, first half. Second half, Id put down to Swindon improving significantly, and *probably* (ipad viewing is hard to see the tactical picture) a tactical change which pinned our wing backs back and made us light in midfield. We got a bit swamped. But at 2-0 it was up to Swindon to come at us...and our confidence levels (4 defeats on the bounce in the league) were obviously not gonna be great. So we had to dig in.

I predicted on twitter after the Bristol game (and I believe I did so on here) that he'd mix it up more the following game. Was told by everyone who responded to my tweet not to build my hopes up (nice way of putting it!). I had every confidence that KC would adapt and evolve his tactics because he simply had to. He's not as 'stupid' as a lot of you's lot think he is. He's cautious because thats his style, Austin was the opposite. Remember Walsall?! But he's also not as stubbornly cautious like say Atkins or Calderwood were and I mean that with the greatest respect to those two managers. I think he has a good balance.

Anyway. This season is gonna be a tough one. That is obvious, and was obvious before a ball was kicked. Going into a higher division with budget cuts (justifiable) is a tough ask. I am still optimistic that with a perfect storm we can have a really good season. Korboa, Benny and Chuck between them could produce two amazing forwards at this level. *Could*. They have to work hard, be lucky and stay fit, and rely on better service for that to happen. The centre backs will need to 'do a Langmead' and quickly evolve into more competent players but lets give them time...Racic and the Horse have never played at this level. Bolger is showing what it said on the tin, but the 'class' was always meant to come from the other two, in particular with Racic. The Horse struggled to adapt to our new passing game last night, making two big errors in efforts to retain possession. Those mistakes need to be quickly eliminated. Mitchell needs to show he's a brilliant young keeper, like he's meant to be. He was good last night, hopefully thats the start. Arnold on the other hand is another 'says it on the tin' player...31 years old, capable at this level but will make mistakes. Mitchells emergence is part of 'the perfect storm' requirements...

Then in midfield. Missalou has shown immense promise, Sowerby is starting to get going. But lets not forget McWilliams. The latter is crucial to the 'perfect storm'...he has the potential. Oh yeah, Pollock. Lets not forget about him.

In summary, KC knows what he's doing. And thats why I started this thread. Chill eyt, put your code in each week, crack open a few beers (if you drink them) and try and enjoy the ride. We will probably have more crap games than good games at the minute but thats where we are at with the development of what is again a brand new team (pretty much). We might do really well, we might not. Chances are it will be a struggle. But you never know. Have a good evening!  Smiley

Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #176 on: October 21, 2020, 18:16:52 pm »

To paraphrase Caderwood again last night, Curle is as progressive and forward thinking as anything in the Prem.
Believe that if you want to.
Report Spam   Logged
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #177 on: October 21, 2020, 18:26:41 pm »

I heard that too and wondered if I heard that correctly.

Overall if this time last year you’d said we’d win promotion, sell a player for over a million I’d ask you what tine did you start drinking.

If at the same time you said it’d be a real struggle to make the leap up but you’d compete against teams like Hull, Sunderland, Ipswich, Charlton and Wigan (posh 🤢) then I’d have bit your hand off and accept that K C has a tough job on his hands.
What will be will be and hopefully we have enough to be better than 4 others in the division just a shame how it’s happening with Covid.

UTC
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
west stand oap

View Profile
Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary 2500 Posts
« Reply #178 on: October 21, 2020, 18:57:16 pm »

Calderwood said that when his sides played Mansfield he was not sure what to expect as KC would invariably spring a surprise. He also said not many managers take his attacking approach to games and be willing to match up his defense 3 to 3 or 2 to 2 with the opposition attack.
We started last night with 3 defenders as both wing backs were attacking players probably because we were at home, more likely to see Harriman and Mills at wing back for away games. I think it is a refreshing approach as I remember some past managers starting with 6 defenders by employing some of them as wingers.
Even if we are in the bottom 4 after a run of bad results I do not see KT changing manager as he made the comment when we reached the play offs that we were the outsiders for promotion so we surpassed his expectations. KC will be here next season whichever division we are in and deserves to be given what he has achieved so far.
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #179 on: October 21, 2020, 21:01:56 pm »

KC has been labeled a hoof ball merchant. Lets look at the facts for a minute.

Carlisle - I recall vividly that when he came here, we were told to expect gung ho football, where defending was not the priority, scoring goals was.
Mansfield - I certainly do not recall them being hoof ball when they fluked beating us in the playoffs all those years ago. They played good football.

He arrived here, on the back of a manager trying to play total football. We were 22nd. He went direct, got us moving up the table. He then tried to change the tactics (for a brief time) - remember that spell when the keeper started magically rolling the ball out to defenders? Lasted about 2 or 3 games. We lost them. So he went back to basics, hoof ball. We started getting better results.

Then last season, we mainly hoofed it. During a period where he had to sell all of his 'footballers' or technicians as he calls them...Crookes, KVV to name but two...and he dragged us into the playoffs with cheap hoofball signings (Oliver, loans in the main along with solid no nonsense players like McCormack, Goode). We then got promoted, and again...his budget was cut. This time because of COVID.

So step forward into this season. In a higher division, forced to sell his best players/unable to afford 'technicians' to replace them. Smith (cheap hoofball signing last season who couldn't get into the team) becomes his number 1 striker. Other creative signings were risks, but could pay off in time. In the main. He started them off playing it simple, simple instructions. 4 points from the first 2 matches. So he carries that tactic on...

...we lose to two sides...Hull and Posh...who totally outplayed us. Bristol Rovers we were holding our own until a stupid foul (pen) and then a sending off...we were then totally outplayed. Next up was Plymouth...we stopped hoofing it. He'd come to the conclusion quickly that hoofball to Smith was not the way forward, and coupled with the surprise factor of how good some of the cheap technicians were (Korboa, Benny in particular), he decided to 'trust them more'.

Then last night arrived. Some great football, first half. Second half, Id put down to Swindon improving significantly, and *probably* (ipad viewing is hard to see the tactical picture) a tactical change which pinned our wing backs back and made us light in midfield. We got a bit swamped. But at 2-0 it was up to Swindon to come at us...and our confidence levels (4 defeats on the bounce in the league) were obviously not gonna be great. So we had to dig in.

I predicted on twitter after the Bristol game (and I believe I did so on here) that he'd mix it up more the following game. Was told by everyone who responded to my tweet not to build my hopes up (nice way of putting it!). I had every confidence that KC would adapt and evolve his tactics because he simply had to. He's not as 'stupid' as a lot of you's lot think he is. He's cautious because thats his style, Austin was the opposite. Remember Walsall?! But he's also not as stubbornly cautious like say Atkins or Calderwood were and I mean that with the greatest respect to those two managers. I think he has a good balance.

Anyway. This season is gonna be a tough one. That is obvious, and was obvious before a ball was kicked. Going into a higher division with budget cuts (justifiable) is a tough ask. I am still optimistic that with a perfect storm we can have a really good season. Korboa, Benny and Chuck between them could produce two amazing forwards at this level. *Could*. They have to work hard, be lucky and stay fit, and rely on better service for that to happen. The centre backs will need to 'do a Langmead' and quickly evolve into more competent players but lets give them time...Racic and the Horse have never played at this level. Bolger is showing what it said on the tin, but the 'class' was always meant to come from the other two, in particular with Racic. The Horse struggled to adapt to our new passing game last night, making two big errors in efforts to retain possession. Those mistakes need to be quickly eliminated. Mitchell needs to show he's a brilliant young keeper, like he's meant to be. He was good last night, hopefully thats the start. Arnold on the other hand is another 'says it on the tin' player...31 years old, capable at this level but will make mistakes. Mitchells emergence is part of 'the perfect storm' requirements...

Then in midfield. Missalou has shown immense promise, Sowerby is starting to get going. But lets not forget McWilliams. The latter is crucial to the 'perfect storm'...he has the potential. Oh yeah, Pollock. Lets not forget about him.

In summary, KC knows what he's doing. And thats why I started this thread. Chill eyt, put your code in each week, crack open a few beers (if you drink them) and try and enjoy the ride. We will probably have more crap games than good games at the minute but thats where we are at with the development of what is again a brand new team (pretty much). We might do really well, we might not. Chances are it will be a struggle. But you never know. Have a good evening!  Smiley

Well reasoned post.
We are a small league 1 club. We should enjoy the games we win without getting carried away and not get too down when we lose.
Some of the rants on here are emotionally driven because football is an emotional game. So let's just share our opinions without going completely over the top, at the end of the day we all want the same thing, a successful team.
UTC.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: