The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 14:21:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Bristol Rovers (a) Saturday 3 October 2020 - 1500hrs KO

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bristol Rovers (a) Saturday 3 October 2020 - 1500hrs KO  (Read 9740 times)
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #180 on: October 04, 2020, 10:24:11 am »

Everbrite how dare you question whether I’m a genuine Supporter. I’ve followed the Cobblers through thick and thin for almost 45 years. I’ve never lived in Northampton and have held a Season Ticket for many of those years. I travel 120 miles  each way for a home game (often taking 3-4 hours to get to a game) i also go to a fair proportion of away games. I think that makes me a Supporter of the Club. I’m happy to praise when we play well but equally if Curle and the team deserve feedback then so be it, this Board is supposed to be about differing opinions.

Agreed, and it is...  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #181 on: October 04, 2020, 10:25:30 am »

Some interesting comments. I'm certainly not going to overcriticise because a lot of new players need to gel and I also think KC is still experimenting to an extent with different formations, trying to see if we can create chances without wingbacks attacking on both flanks. So far, it seems we can't, but I think we have some very good players and will win enough games to stay up.

Having said that I agree that there appear to be some weaknesses. Smith IMO is one of them. For a man his size, he doesn't win enough headers or bully defences enough and overall I don't think he's good enough at this level, despite showing some good touches sometimes.

However, my main concern is our central defence. The fact that Martin has been our best central defender so far says it all, given that he's basically 4th choice in that position. We DESPERATELY need one more solid CD, so there's competition for places there - otherwise whoever's fit or not suspended will automatically play. I think Horsfall will end up being a good signing. Racic is struggling and sometimes seems off the pace, as if he's expecting more time on the ball, but must have the ability if he's rated by Brentford. Bolger is a bit slow for my liking, though he seemed solid enough in his first few games. I'm sure they'll get better but they're almost certainly not as good as last year's back 3, which is worrying in a higher division.

Unfortunately, I don't think Arnold is an upgrade on Cornell either. He's OK and has made some decent saves, butI haven't noticed him really domimating his box or having a great understanding with his defence. I think Cornell had a more aggressive attitude and helped to keep those around him alert.

I think we have enough to stay up, which is surely the goal and I'm confident that KC will get the best out of the squad we have, but it may take a month or two to happen. I hope we can pick up enough points during that period!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #182 on: October 04, 2020, 10:29:37 am »

Suggest you get off your high horse and try driving West Sussex to Fleetwood and back (with a detour via Swindon in order to give a fellow Cobblers fan a lift).

Driven to St Mirren in 1965 at very young age in a Morris 10 which cost me £55! Seen a few defeats and criticised anything that moved but try to Input some realism! Even Yeovil and Exeter too Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 04, 2020, 10:44:54 am »

Oh yes he/she does

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #184 on: October 04, 2020, 11:08:20 am »

Driven to St Mirren in 1965 at very young age in a Morris 10 which cost me £55!
I didn't think petrol was that expensive then ?  Oh you mean the car  Grin
I've driven to Glasgow and back in one day in a van that was worth about £55, I then played a game of Badminton in the evening, I slept well that night!
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #185 on: October 04, 2020, 12:15:45 pm »

At the moment we have problems all over the pitch.
Goalkeeper/defense do not appear to trust each other and lack communication. Arnold needs to command his box more. Last season you would see Cornell advancing from his box acting as a sweeper but Arnold doesn't.
Midfield/wide men currently creating very little and in the last 2 games our crossing has been atrocious.
Attack has lacked service but having only attempt on target in each of the last 2 games (1 a free kick) is obviously nowhere near acceptable. Long which Smith wins in the air rarely reach a team-mate and as others have commented given his size he should be more aggresive.
With Martin suspended we will probably have to revert to 442 against posh because even if Horsfall is fit our we sign another defender this week KC rarely puts a new signing or player returning from injury straight into the starting 11.
Signing Sowerby and Rose presumably indicates them being regular starters, also Adams now he is approaching fitness.
Therefore for posh I would play Mills and Harriman at fullback with Adams and Hoskins in front of them in the wide positions and Sowerby in midfield with Missilou getting the nod over Watson on current form. Assuming KC sticks with his big man up front I expect Smith to keep his place to partner Rose.
Interesting that yesterday Nuttall was not in the 18 and with no mention of him being injured would seem to indicate he is behind Smith, Rose, Wharburton, Ashley-Seal and Korboa for a place.
Report Spam   Logged
cobbler_rob

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 04, 2020, 12:47:47 pm »

Agree with those suggesting a formation change, with Mills and Harriman we don’t look creative enough going forwards but then Adams and Marshall might leave us exposed at this level. 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 might work better

Thing that has concerned me the most so far is that the ball isn’t sticking up front. Last year our tactics were getting it up to Morton and Oliver who were both good at winning the first ball and holding it up. This year I’ve not seen anything from the current strikers suggesting they‘ll do this as effectively. And Smith isn’t a target man!

I trust KC though and we’ve had worse performances than yesterday and bounced back the next week!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 04, 2020, 13:13:23 pm »

I didn't think petrol was that expensive then ?  Oh you mean the car  Grin
I've driven to Glasgow and back in one day in a van that was worth about £55, I then played a game of Badminton in the evening, I slept well that night!

The price of petrol at the time was indeed low compared with today. However comparisons between now and the middle 60's depends on the salary levels at the time as you would be lucky to earn over £1200pa. If I could get home just by sticking in 1/2 gallon I would. What was the make of your van, year and model. The journey to St Mirren was done in a day inspite of poor roads incl a short M1. Then faced with a hostile St Mirren crowd particularly when one of their main players broke a leg. If only we had that defence today together with Martin,Holton and Lines.

#PCS

Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 04, 2020, 13:28:34 pm »

Agree with those suggesting a formation change, with Mills and Harriman we don’t look creative enough going forwards but then Adams and Marshall might leave us exposed at this level. 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 might work better

Thing that has concerned me the most so far is that the ball isn’t sticking up front. Last year our tactics were getting it up to Morton and Oliver who were both good at winning the first ball and holding it up. This year I’ve not seen anything from the current strikers suggesting they‘ll do this as effectively. And Smith isn’t a target man!

I trust KC though and we’ve had worse performances than yesterday and bounced back the next week!

After Shrewsbury I think maybe 442 may be the way to go. Whether KC agrees is debatable but he has proved many on here wrong so................
Report Spam   Logged

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 08, 2020, 16:16:45 pm »

https://twitter.com/RampantMRoberts/status/1313022035447214080?s=19

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #190 on: October 08, 2020, 18:54:14 pm »

Pity that most of the balls won in the air did not find a team-mate.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: