The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 14:53:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Petition - Allow Football Fans To Attend Matches At All Levels

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Petition - Allow Football Fans To Attend Matches At All Levels  (Read 4193 times)
guest3063

Badges: (View All)
« on: October 06, 2020, 13:41:40 pm »

Calling those Cobblers fans who yearn to be back at the mighty Sixfields stadium. Sign this petition and get the government to take action and look at ways to get fans back into stadiums.

Only problem is I struggle with the links (not computer savvy).

petition.parliament.uk search for allow football fans to attend matches at all levels.

I know some won't agree with this but if 50% capacity can go to the Royal Albert Hall to watch a concert indoors why can't people go back to football in an outdoor environment.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 14:02:14 pm »

Whilst it would be great to see fans back in stadiums, I can't see it happening for a while yet......and it would involve a lot of work to be done in the current climate to be acheived "safely".
In the ground is not the problem, assuming limited capacity fans can be spread out and seated apart as per social distancing guidelines. Question here is does everyone have to wear masks?
How would something as simple as going to the toilet be controlled? Can everyone go at half time? How could you ensure distancing at the kiosks, when entering through the turnstiles and exiting at the end? Can football fans be "trusted" to follow the rules?

My main concern would be the cost of setting up this operation and ensuring everything went smoothly.

Lets assume that Sixfields is opened up to 2500 spectators....... how much revenue will the club bring in? From ticket sales the answer in NONE....season ticket holders would take those 2500 seats and they've already paid. Sure they may make a bit from kiosk sales (if anyone is allowed to visit them) car parks and programme sales would bring in a bit more, but then weigh that up against the costs of opening up, using stewards, marshalls, police, other matchday staff, even the logistics of sitting people together or apart dependent on circumstances.

Sadly, I think that unless grounds are opened up fully, ie no restrictions, with away fans being allowed to attend, and home fans allowed to buy the surplus tickets on the day/in advance, then it doesn't make financial sense to a club the size of ours and the losses currently being incurred would be greater if there was only a partial opening.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
guest3063

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 14:12:06 pm »

So, are you suggesting football fans can't be trusted but people attending an indoor concert can be trusted?

It sounds to me that sports fans are being made scapegoats. Don't forget stadiums are in the open air, where we've been told it's safest.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 14:25:03 pm »

So, are you suggesting football fans can't be trusted but people attending an indoor concert can be trusted?

It sounds to me that sports fans are being made scapegoats. Don't forget stadiums are in the open air, where we've been told it's safest.

Perception wise then yes, the feeling might be that they can't be trusted! I'd also question whether stadiums are in the "open air" if there is a roof above, not open air in the way golf or horse racing would be for example.

My own feeling is that its not right that concert venues ARE open to the public, rather than it being wrong that sporting events ARE NOT open to the public........but that can change in a matter of weeks or months, dependent on progress made against COVID.....
Report Spam   Logged

guest3063

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 14:37:53 pm »

The club recently said how much work had gone into making Sixfields Covid complient in readiness for the recently cancelled Hull test event. One way systems in and out of the ground, toilet arrangements etc. It was all going to be very safe, probably safer than going to the supermarket.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3264

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2020, 14:39:58 pm »

Two wrongs do not make a right.

It was wrong to let people into the Royal Albert Hall and I think the risk is too high (at the moment) to open up stadiums.

If it is too dangerous for me to see my grandchildren them mixing with hundreds of strangers can not be right.

Ifollow and patience I suggest.

STAY SAFE!

PS Going to the supermarket is essential going to sport is not.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 14:50:52 pm »

The club recently said how much work had gone into making Sixfields Covid complient in readiness for the recently cancelled Hull test event. One way systems in and out of the ground, toilet arrangements etc. It was all going to be very safe, probably safer than going to the supermarket.

I agree, probably safer.....safer than queuing in a airport to check in, to board, to go through passport control etc etc.....many different scenarios and locations where seemingly "less safe" conditions are accepted.

As you say though....a lot of work, and therefore a fair bit of expense had gone into getting Sixfields ready...and for what? An event that would have cost even more to stage with no financial benefit at all.

We are where we are unfortunately, and as per my original response unless ALL fans are allowed back into grounds and we are allowed to operate at FULL unrestricted capacity, then it doesn't make sense to do half measures at the moment. Wasn't it said last time we were in League 1 that we needed 5500-6000 crowds to break even? It wouldn't be be any different now would it?

Report Spam   Logged

guest3063

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2020, 14:51:10 pm »

It was wrong to let people into the Royal Albert Hall and I think the risk is too high (at the moment) to open up stadiums.

If it is too dangerous for me to see my grandchildren them mixing with hundreds of strangers can not be right.

STAY SAFE!

I see your point, but in the test events that did take place recently as far as I know no cases were traced back to the event itself.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 15:07:28 pm »

Calling those Cobblers fans who yearn to be back at the mighty Sixfields stadium. Sign this petition and get the government to take action and look at ways to get fans back into stadiums.

Only problem is I struggle with the links (not computer savvy).

petition.parliament.uk search for allow football fans to attend matches at all levels.

I know some won't agree with this but if 50% capacity can go to the Royal Albert Hall to watch a concert indoors why can't people go back to football in an outdoor environment.

What particular efforts are being made for the RAH concert you have referred to ? My considerable interest in the cultural area tell me that the vast number of concert halls and associated performances remain closed to the public except via video link with performers socially distanced and audiences excluded.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 15:17:20 pm »

Sorry, but I won't be signing this one. I'd love to get back to watching football, but in the big scheme of things it is "only a game". I've criticised that phrase in the past because it's so much more than that to all of us during normal times, but in these exceptional times is going to a match worth risking your own or someone else's life for? Nope, not for me.

When we've got things back under control I'll be there with a massive smile on my face, but until then it's iFollow for me.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
guest3063

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 15:18:37 pm »

What particular efforts are being made for the RAH concert you have referred to ? My considerable interest in the cultural area tell me that the vast number of concert halls and associated performances remain closed to the public except via video link with performers socially distanced and audiences excluded.

You obviously didn't see the tweet from John Stapleton yesterday. That was retweeted by the club.

A concert next month will have 50% capacity.
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 15:20:03 pm »

As you say though....a lot of work, and therefore a fair bit of expense had gone into getting Sixfields ready...and for what? An event that would have cost even more to stage with no financial benefit at all.

But that's not the strongest argument and one the club wouldn't hide behind just because they have already had the season ticket money. Unless clubs get the fans in (when permitted) by investing and implementing the required measures to allow so, how many season ticket holders would be lost next season, probably dependant on refunds/goodwill from this one? That's before any additional paying customers. Without punters or a product you only need to look at Cineworld. At least football still has the product.
Most businesses that are continuing to operate have incurred significant additional costs to either remain open or re-open. Football clubs won't be any exception. In fact large gatherings in the public eye will be especially under scrutiny. They could do what some businesses (like hairdressers) are doing and add on a 'Covid fee' but you can imagine how that would go down!
The fall out from all of this is clearly going to impact far more important things than football and we're probably going to see a worldwide financial 'reset'.  
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 15:29:49 pm »

Whilst it would be great to see fans back in stadiums, I can't see it happening for a while yet......and it would involve a lot of work to be done in the current climate to be acheived "safely".
In the ground is not the problem, assuming limited capacity fans can be spread out and seated apart as per social distancing guidelines. Question here is does everyone have to wear masks?
How would something as simple as going to the toilet be controlled? Can everyone go at half time? How could you ensure distancing at the kiosks, when entering through the turnstiles and exiting at the end? Can football fans be "trusted" to follow the rules?

My main concern would be the cost of setting up this operation and ensuring everything went smoothly.

Lets assume that Sixfields is opened up to 2500 spectators....... how much revenue will the club bring in? From ticket sales the answer in NONE....season ticket holders would take those 2500 seats and they've already paid. Sure they may make a bit from kiosk sales (if anyone is allowed to visit them) car parks and programme sales would bring in a bit more, but then weigh that up against the costs of opening up, using stewards, marshalls, police, other matchday staff, even the logistics of sitting people together or apart dependent on circumstances.

Sadly, I think that unless grounds are opened up fully, ie no restrictions, with away fans being allowed to attend, and home fans allowed to buy the surplus tickets on the day/in advance, then it doesn't make financial sense to a club the size of ours and the losses currently being incurred would be greater if there was only a partial opening.

Basically agree with this plus another 14k infections today seems to me the pandemic is possibly getting of hand.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 15:31:17 pm »

But that's not the strongest argument and one the club wouldn't hide behind just because they have already had the season ticket money. Unless clubs get the fans in (when permitted) by investing and implementing the required measures to allow so, how many season ticket holders would be lost next season, probably dependant on refunds/goodwill from this one? That's before any additional paying customers. Without punters or a product you only need to look at Cineworld. At least football still has the product.
Most businesses that are continuing to operate have incurred significant additional costs to either remain open or re-open. Football clubs won't be any exception. In fact large gatherings in the public eye will be especially under scrutiny. They could do what some businesses (like hairdressers) are doing and add on a 'Covid fee' but you can imagine how that would go down!
The fall out from all of this is clearly going to impact far more important things than football and we're probably going to see a worldwide financial 'reset'.  

I agree with you.....the (un)certainty surrounding when people are going to be allowed in is likely to continue for a good while yet. There are numerous rumblings of discontent at clubs, not just ours, that season ticket holders have paid "over the odds" for the product they are getting. How can it be right for a S/T holder to be paying the equivalent of £18 per game and have it made to look like you are getting a freebie because IFollow isn't costing you anything.

Loyalty only goes so far, and the club has to weigh up the goodwill v financial argument......what football clubs can not do is take their bread and butter fans for granted. Are a family of three who have paid £1000 for three season tickets going to be happy with being huddled around one laptop watching a product they could have bought for £230?
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 15:31:59 pm »

STAY SAFE!

Agreed
Report Spam   Logged

guest3063

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2020, 15:41:15 pm »

I agree with you.....the (un)certainty surrounding when people are going to be allowed in is likely to continue for a good while yet. There are numerous rumblings of discontent at clubs, not just ours, that season ticket holders have paid "over the odds" for the product they are getting. How can it be right for a S/T holder to be paying the equivalent of £18 per game and have it made to look like you are getting a freebie because IFollow isn't costing you anything.

Loyalty only goes so far, and the club has to weigh up the goodwill v financial argument......what football clubs can not do is take their bread and butter fans for granted. Are a family of three who have paid £1000 for three season tickets going to be happy with being huddled around one laptop watching a product they could have bought for £230?

No, because that's me. Near on £1k for three season tickets, using one code for each home game  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2020, 15:56:23 pm »

Love your optimism but it is misplaced given the current circumstances. Today’s infection figures are terrible and possibly we maybe facing lockdown. It’s irrelevant to quote other venues as different circumstances prevail. We have to go with the Scientists and Gov! 
Report Spam   Logged

guest3063

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2020, 16:29:56 pm »

Love your optimism but it is misplaced given the current circumstances. Today’s infection figures are terrible and possibly we maybe facing lockdown. It’s irrelevant to quote other venues as different circumstances prevail. We have to go with the Scientists and Gov! 

I take it that's aimed at me?

Well Everbrite it looks like there's some momentum building, the club and EFL have now tweeted the petition.   
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2020, 16:31:51 pm »

No, because that's me. Near on £1k for three season tickets, using one code for each home game  Roll Eyes

Genuine question then, other than your known feelings about getting back into grounds (as per the petition), what do you think NTFC specifically should be doing for you and other fans who feel the same way?

Are you at the stage yet where you feel a refund should be offered? If so, how much, and wouldn't it be difficult based on the fact they have actually supplied you with an alternative if still inferior product?
How long are you prepared to "wait it out" if you're currently ok with the state of play?

The whole topic fascinates me.....if someone went to the cinema but found the place was shut they'd ask for a refund, if someone had booked a holiday and found that the flights were no longer operating they'd apply for a refund, if someone ordered something from Amazon and then they said they couldn't deliver you'd get a refund......so many other similar situations.
I struggle to see why the current impasse seems acceptable to the die hard football supporter and why clubs don't seem to have addressed the issue other than to push for fans to be allowed back in.

As I said, genuine question, i'm not judging or anything, just interested to hear your thoughts.
Report Spam   Logged

guest3063

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2020, 16:42:04 pm »

That's a fair question GPC. I am prepared to wait until the club make their next statement and see what the state of play is at that point.

Kelvin Thomas recently said that more should be known in 2 or 3 weeks and suggested the club will announce something at that stage. The fact is they need to look after their season ticket holders one way or another. Maybe, a more simple way would be to give all home and away games free on Ifollow, I would still lose out on three season tickets but at least it would be a further gesture from the club.   
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: