The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 12:45:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Plymouth Argyle (a)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plymouth Argyle (a)  (Read 7072 times)
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2020, 17:24:53 pm »

The nightmare continues...

The wall is being erected. It’s only short matter of time before the writing appears on it.....
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2020, 17:32:01 pm »

The first half we were crap, offering nothing going forwards but in all honesty I didn't think Plymouth were much better and if it wasn't for some dreadful defending we'd have gone on all square.
Second half was a good deal better. Sowerby was decent, so was Korboa, we saw both the good and the bad from Hoskins and I was impressed by Chukwumeka. Arnold looked ok for most of the game but then made a howler for their second goal.
I do worry about our defence though. In our first few games I was quite impressed but since then they've been all over the place. Bolger is useless and Racic is an absolute liability. I still think Horsfall might be a useful addition, but it's difficult to say with certainty when he's playing alongside the other deadbeats. The fact that Martin is (justifiably) in the side ahead of Racic says it all.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2020, 17:40:18 pm »

We did enough to warrant a point. Much better play than the last 3 games. Defence still a concern. It’s a real disappointment as Plymouth we’re really no5 much better than us! Feel a bit more confident about Tuesday, think Marshall or Adams should start though
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2020, 17:44:29 pm »

The nightmare continues...

The wall is being erected. It’s only short matter of time before the writing appears on it.....

Sounds like you know something's brewing?
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2020, 18:20:05 pm »

Unfortunately, we cant look beyond the keeper for the reason why we lost today.

Lots of talk about bad defending, but I reckon we conceded 4 chances to them. 2 of which went in because of crap goal keeping. The other two...were both free kicks, one which was well saved, the other which never came to anything.

We deserved a point and we had the better chances.

Id like to see Mitchell given a chance in goal Tuesday, and Id even start Chuck. Theres a real player in him, I tell ya...
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #125 on: October 17, 2020, 18:28:29 pm »

We did enough to warrant a point. Much better play than the last 3 games. Defence still a concern. It’s a real disappointment as Plymouth we’re really no5 much better than us! Feel a bit more confident about Tuesday, think Marshall or Adams should start though

Agreed
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #126 on: October 17, 2020, 18:35:45 pm »

I'd like to see what Nuttall can do, don't think it's going to happen  though.
Report Spam   Logged
BMON

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2020, 18:41:05 pm »

In truth I feel that most of us are in shock - it was not a professional performance. I have no sympathy for the Manager and his on "field tactics and substitutions". Once they scored their opening goal we visibly "melted away". To me today result ranks of bad management...why?

1)Poor substitutions through out 2nd half.
2)Poor team tactics - after they 1st goal we should have reacted positively.
3)Where was the fight?
4)Where were the leaders on the pitch.
5)Players confidence now shot through.
6)Players (may) probably now have no confidence in Manager
7)The mistaken belief that one up front works with a 5' 7" forward in League 1.
8)Talking about Hoskins - his goal tally is awful and he missed again and again today.
9)They scored 2 goals could of been 4/5- this happens quite regularly - too often now it seems.
10)They brought on  players who made a difference
11)We need a commanding centre half - no frills - another Watson.
12)We need a solid and competent midfielder, someone capable of lifting the team.
14)Why not play wingers

I dont believe it is all about money - there are plenty of teams above us without any and are doing ok.Nor do I attach blame to the Chairman.
The manager has persisted with mistaken League 2 tactics, do you see anyone else play like that?

Finally we where the better team second half, for 15 mins they never gave up, unfortunately we did. We should learn from their free running midfield who were impressive at times.
I personally feel that this season's start and results have now caught up with the manager. The damage has now been done.

when you rest a case it should stay rested, this one has
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 18:43:55 pm by BMON » Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2020, 18:53:05 pm »

BMON, I think I know your thoughts on this matter.

With regards to league 2 tactics and does anyone else play that way. Answer - Wycombe Wanderers, now of the Championship.
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2020, 18:56:53 pm »

Disappointing result but improved performance, deserved a point.
Some signs of our style of play evolving, perhaps because we didn't get the new target man we wanted. Plymouth's defence was unconvincing especially when Hoskins, Korboa, BAS and Chukky ran at them, we looked more dangerous on the counter attack.
Subdued but even first half spoiled when we switched off, left Nouble unmarked and Arnold reacted in slow motion to the header.
Second half we were much better, some decent passages of passing football, good move and cool finish for our goal. Thought we might go on and win after that but although Plymouth responded to being pegged back it was sickening to concede from a corner. A big mistake by Arnold although he may have been slightly impeded. If he was he should have made more of it, we are already seeing that other teams are cuter than us in this league and players go down at the slightest contact. We have to smarten up, fast, because we will be facing much better teams than Plymouth this season.
Report Spam   Logged
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2020, 19:58:35 pm »

I'd like to see what Nuttall can do, don't think it's going to happen  though.

He’s proved to be a good addition so far  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Wattie

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2020, 20:03:02 pm »

Id like to see Mitchell given a chance in goal Tuesday, and Id even start Chuck. Theres a real player in him, I tell ya...

Agreed, I wasn't a fan of Arnold last season, good backup keeper. Give Mitchell a run and see if he can boss the defence
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2020, 20:22:36 pm »

In truth I feel that most of us are in shock - it was not a professional performance. I have no sympathy for the Manager and his on "field tactics and substitutions". Once they scored their opening goal we visibly "melted away". To me today result ranks of bad management...why?

1)Poor substitutions through out 2nd half.
2)Poor team tactics - after they 1st goal we should have reacted positively.
3)Where was the fight?
4)Where were the leaders on the pitch.
5)Players confidence now shot through.
6)Players (may) probably now have no confidence in Manager
7)The mistaken belief that one up front works with a 5' 7" forward in League 1.
8)Talking about Hoskins - his goal tally is awful and he missed again and again today.
9)They scored 2 goals could of been 4/5- this happens quite regularly - too often now it seems.
10)They brought on  players who made a difference
11)We need a commanding centre half - no frills - another Watson.
12)We need a solid and competent midfielder, someone capable of lifting the team.
14)Why not play wingers

I dont believe it is all about money - there are plenty of teams above us without any and are doing ok.Nor do I attach blame to the Chairman.
The manager has persisted with mistaken League 2 tactics, do you see anyone else play like that?

Finally we where the better team second half, for 15 mins they never gave up, unfortunately we did. We should learn from their free running midfield who were impressive at times.
I personally feel that this season's start and results have now caught up with the manager. The damage has now been done.

when you rest a case it should stay rested, this one has

Yes, but apart from that we were ok!

Swindon on Tuesday anyone?
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2020, 20:35:26 pm »

The first half we were crap, offering nothing going forwards but in all honesty I didn't think Plymouth were much better and if it wasn't for some dreadful defending we'd have gone on all square.
Second half was a good deal better. Sowerby was decent, so was Korboa, we saw both the good and the bad from Hoskins and I was impressed by Chukwumeka. Arnold looked ok for most of the game but then made a howler for their second goal.
I do worry about our defence though. In our first few games I was quite impressed but since then they've been all over the place. Bolger is useless and Racic is an absolute liability. I still think Horsfall might be a useful addition, but it's difficult to say with certainty when he's playing alongside the other deadbeats. The fact that Martin is (justifiably) in the side ahead of Racic says it all.

No we weren't - best 1st half for 3 games. Wasn't good but certainly a modicum of improvement.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
sxcobbler

Proudtobe.

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2020, 20:40:26 pm »

I think we , along with Wycombe, were very fortunate to gain promotion.

It required substantial team strengthening over the transfer window  ...and yet our team is so much weaker than  our Play-offs team.

I hope KC can make us into a team that can hang in here .....starting with the defence, which is barely good enough for L2.

Report Spam   Logged

Let's show some Ambition !
NTFC Nut

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #135 on: October 17, 2020, 20:42:25 pm »

Unfortunately, we cant look beyond the keeper for the reason why we lost today.

Lots of talk about bad defending, but I reckon we conceded 4 chances to them. 2 of which went in because of crap goal keeping.

Sorry but their big centre forward had a completely free header for that first goal. Second goal, no-one was on the back post in anticipation of Arnold not winning the first ball. Arnold could have done more, don't get me wrong, but we can't exonerate the defence here.
Report Spam   Logged

Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #136 on: October 17, 2020, 20:44:21 pm »

Sounds like you know something's brewing?

Unfortunately no.. I’m just assuming that once we come out of this COVID cr@p, any chairman worth his salt will not want the double whammy of relegation as well. League one has some big away followings and quite a few stadium + hospitality fillers from our perspective. Losing league one status has to be avoided if the club are going to make any serious attempt at recouping any losses from the current situation.
Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #137 on: October 17, 2020, 21:07:44 pm »

Unfortunately no.. I’m just assuming that once we come out of this COVID cr@p, any chairman worth his salt will not want the double whammy of relegation as well. League one has some big away followings and quite a few stadium + hospitality fillers from our perspective. Losing league one status has to be avoided if the club are going to make any serious attempt at recouping any losses from the current situation.

I would have thought every league one chairman is thinking the same, salt or no salt.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #138 on: October 17, 2020, 21:51:10 pm »

Following KTs recent statements, by my calculations we are losing over 50 grand a week, possibly 60 whilst their are no fans? Given that we were losing a million a season before Covid there is no chance of recovering those losses by operating profit at any point in the immediate future? It won’t happen, league one status maintained or not? So what’s the answer? The truth is we were alright against Plymouth? However, alright isn’t really going to cut it. We had our short comings last season, but what we could often do was take games by the scruff of the neck. There were some big personalities on the pitch, McCormack obviously, Goode, Turnbull etc and I don’t see that same influence so far? So on the one hand there is a need for more influence on the pitch, on the other there are the very real financial risks that are staring all clubs in the face? It’s all well and good demanding this and that and pointing out the short comings but be under no illusion, any extravagant spend contractually or otherwise also comes at a massive risk? With hindsight the answers will be a lot more obvious, but the decisions have to be made now. There were clearly clubs who were far more cavalier in their approach than NTFC, our apparent missing out on a number of transfer targets perhaps bares this out? However, the second wave of Covid will undoubtedly be mounting the pressure on these more financially cavalier clubs now the second wave has hit the UK? For me financial survival has to be the primary objective? I understand this comes at a risk and is massively frustrating given our history of promotion followed by often immediate relegation? However, the difficult decisions without the benefit of hindsight are the ones that you hope those in charge are willing and capable of making? I think coming up with a budget that gives the club as much financial longevity as possible was the correct decision to make? The quality of the squad reflects that decision and that may result in a season that we all wanted to avoid? At the end of all this the supporters who are crying out for a more aggressive recruitment strategy may well be proved to be right? Having said that, given the massive losses being incurred by all clubs at this time, significant comparable budget restraints is the right decision, irrespective of any shortcomings on the pitch?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 22:00:40 pm by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
guest2995

« Reply #139 on: October 17, 2020, 22:03:16 pm »

All the Cornell bully boys seem to have gone quiet .
There were plenty crying out for Arnold last season .
Looks weak to me .

That side picked today will not win many games in this league .
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: