The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 19:12:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Plymouth Argyle (a)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plymouth Argyle (a)  (Read 7048 times)
Dan

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #140 on: October 17, 2020, 22:07:16 pm »

In response to your comment there, I'd still have Arnold over Cornell 100%.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #141 on: October 17, 2020, 22:22:35 pm »

Cornell is sh1t.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #142 on: October 18, 2020, 06:18:12 am »

I’d have Arnold in the side ahead of Cornell 100%. Arnold has made some good saves this season to keep some of the defeats respectable, saves that I’m not sure Cornell would have kept out (Forest green away anyone). Don’t think you can blame him for the first, defence went AWOL and for the second he was partially at fault but no defender intervened to prevent the shot.
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #143 on: October 18, 2020, 06:27:10 am »

I would have thought every league one chairman is thinking the same, salt or no salt.

I wouldn’t be a double whammy if you’re not fighting relegation, or indeed relegated.

We are already in a position at this early stage in the season where KT must have reservations around KC's ability to succeed at L1 level. KT will need to act early if he has any doubts. Where as under normal circumstances he might have a bit more time to weigh it up.

Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #144 on: October 18, 2020, 07:02:28 am »

Cornell all day long over Arnold .
Another position on the pitch where we are are weaker this season than last .
No argument about it in my view .
Maybe time to look at the lad from Derby .
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #145 on: October 18, 2020, 07:24:02 am »

I’m not sure why there is so much analysis on the GK - both options look fairly average to me but I very much doubt they will be decisive on us avoiding relegation. We conceded the goals yesterday with poor goalkeeping and ineffective marking. We lost the game and will continue to do so by lack of creativity and for me it’s not the lack of players it’s KC seemingly inability to use then effectively (or at all). Last season, with of course the exception of two games we were generally uninspiring to watch and this season with pretty much the same tactics (but in my opinion a worse back line) we are well and truely being found out. We didn’t deserve a point yesterday and the win at Shrewsbury was very lucky. It’s going to be a difficult season
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #146 on: October 18, 2020, 07:38:48 am »

I wouldn’t be a double whammy if you’re not fighting relegation, or indeed relegated.

We are already in a position at this early stage in the season where KT must have reservations around KC's ability to succeed at L1 level. KT will need to act early if he has any doubts. Where as under normal circumstances he might have a bit more time to weigh it up.

Pay off his contract and bankroll squad changes out of free agents whilst all this is going on, I doubt it Hammy? When Wilder went he had to pay off 4 contracts on the bounce and brought in god knows how many players following each change before he settled on KC? I can’t see it whilst they’re losing this kind of money? The only time there may be be a change is when there’s typical income to soften the blow?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Ragdoll Cobbler

View Profile
Linux User Level 5 1000 Posts
« Reply #147 on: October 18, 2020, 08:50:04 am »

KC won’t be sacked no matter what imo...

No match day income for the forseable & no fans to boo after every defeat makes the decision a non starter...

Decent pay offs needed for KC & all his back room team...

As usual we’ve fvcked up with the contracts offered to KC and his staff...

Should always (even more so in the current climate) have been either a 1 year or rolling contract yet we offer a two year deal  Roll Eyes

Just gotta hope he somehow turns it around...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 08:56:42 am by Ragdoll Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 18, 2020, 09:15:16 am »

KC won’t be sacked no matter what imo...

No match day income for the forseable & no fans to boo after every defeat makes the decision a non starter...

Decent pay offs needed for KC & all his back room team...

As usual we’ve fvcked up with the contracts offered to KC and his staff...

Should always (even more so in the current climate) have been either a 1 year or rolling contract yet we offer a two year deal  Roll Eyes

Just gotta hope he somehow turns it around...

If he’d been allowed to keep Turnbull and Oliver we might stand a chance but with U23 prem kids, youth teamers and Very average L2 players there’s no chance.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 18, 2020, 09:19:09 am »

I’m not sure why there is so much analysis on the GK - both options look fairly average to me but I very much doubt they will be decisive on us avoiding relegation. We conceded the goals yesterday with poor goalkeeping and ineffective marking. We lost the game and will continue to do so by lack of creativity and for me it’s not the lack of players it’s KC seemingly inability to use then effectively (or at all). Last season, with of course the exception of two games we were generally uninspiring to watch and this season with pretty much the same tactics (but in my opinion a worse back line) we are well and truely being found out. We didn’t deserve a point yesterday and the win at Shrewsbury was very lucky. It’s going to be a difficult season
Agree Arnold is nothing special nor was Cornell, the difference being that Cornell had a half decent defenders in front of him, Arnold has Racic (utter garbage), Bolger (makes the tin man look mobile) and Horsfall who we plundered from Macclesfield, Cornell would have let more goals in without doubt, Arnold kept it respectable against Boro and Hull.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #150 on: October 18, 2020, 09:50:02 am »

I think we were a little unlucky not to get a point. The first goal I think Arnold could have done better but we were caught out, the same as the previous week, with not having a full back, just 3 central defenders. After we equalised I thought we might go on and win but, this is the really worrying thing, teams manage to score against us when they don't look like they are capable of a goal. Again, you have to question Arnold about that one, it might be time to give Mitchell a chance. Despite yesterdays performance I still think that Arnold is a better keeper than Cornell.
Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #151 on: October 18, 2020, 11:32:23 am »

it was a much better performance yesterday than of late, and nice to see KC try to put out a team to play a bit of football, eve if it took till the second half to happen. We know hoofball won't often work in this league and with these players, so credit to him for trying something else. I think we deserved a draw, and while I agree with the general feeling that our central defence is nothing like as solid as last year's, I think they did much better yesterday barring the first goal.

I agree we should have used Marshall or Adams at least part of the game to give us more width and we also need to use an out and out striker for most of the game. One of Benny, Chucky or Nuttall are going to have to make their mark. Korboa and Hoskins aren't going to score enough between them.

It is going to be a struggle this year, but not necessarily because our players aren't good enough, but more because we have so many new players who need time to learn each other's games as well as being new to this division in many cases. Some of them are also very young and relatively inexperienced, so overall the squad is a bit raw. It may well also be true that KC didn't get all the players he wanted to be able to play how he wanted and is now having to adapt. All these things mean some patience is required and as long as performances are improving, I'm a long way from calling for KC's head. He's proved us wrong before.

Re Arnold, he's made some very good saves in the last few games, but is also as suspect to mistakes as Cornell was. The first goal yesterday was poor defending but if a goalkeeper dives into his goal rather than across it and manages to parry the ball, as Arnold did, it goes in. That is a basic goalkeeping error. The second goal was a clear mistake by him. I'm not anti-Arnold, but I don't think he's an upgrade on Cornell either. He was at least more vocal yesterday trying to gee up the defence (something Bolger doesn't seem to do much of for a captain)
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #152 on: October 18, 2020, 11:45:11 am »

I have to agree with the calls to go 4-4-2 we have a very new squad that might eventually adapt to playing a back 5 but it will be too late by then. Just looking at the current squad it looks far more suited to 4-4-2
Report Spam   Logged
BMON

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 18, 2020, 11:54:12 am »

Plymouth Argyle manager Ryan Lowe revealed his team paid extra attention to corners because he felt they could exploit Northampton's zonal marking ahead of Saturday's League One fixture at Home Park.

And Lowe's work on the training pitch eventually bore fruit when, just four minutes from time, Kell Watts ghosted in unmarked at the back post and volleyed home the winning goal.

“We always knew we could get a goal from a set-piece today," said Lowe. "We had worked on it all week – they use zonal marking from corners against and we felt we could get at that.

From the Chron,

Keith Zonal marking dosen't work
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #154 on: October 18, 2020, 12:24:36 pm »

I have to agree with the calls to go 4-4-2 we have a very new squad that might eventually adapt to playing a back 5 but it will be too late by then. Just looking at the current squad it looks far more suited to 4-4-2

Most teams play a three in midfield, so with 4-4-2 you can get exposed in the middle of the park.

Bungle's formation from yesterday would be a good option 4-2-3-1 - two deeper midfielders with an attacking midfielder and two wider players supporting the striker.     
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #155 on: October 18, 2020, 12:44:48 pm »

The loss was caused by defensive errors and your analysis is not correct as it was not caused by lack of creativity but by lack of professionalism/discipline. With so many  new players it will take time to find the best mixture. Oh dear we are so uninspiring but made the play offs! Plymouth did not break us down easily but relied on good fortune to win the match. Then you finish with 'we didn't deserve a point at Plymouth and lucky to win at Shrewsbury' with no reference to 'hard luck' for the team at Argyle.  Bit biased?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 13:15:38 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest1269

« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2020, 14:18:30 pm »

The loss was caused by defensive errors and your analysis is not correct as it was not caused by lack of creativity but by lack of professionalism/discipline. With so many  new players it will take time to find the best mixture. Oh dear we are so uninspiring but made the play offs! Plymouth did not break us down easily but relied on good fortune to win the match. Then you finish with 'we didn't deserve a point at Plymouth and lucky to win at Shrewsbury' with no reference to 'hard luck' for the team at Argyle.  Bit biased?

You may disagree with my analysis but that doesn’t make it right or wrong. We didn’t lose just because of defensive errors (although I thought that is part of the game that opponents legitimately try to exploit) - we lost because they scored more goals than us. Sure we played a relatively effective defensive game but it wasn't great to watch was it?
The Shrewsbury game, again if you think we were the better footballing side then we will agree to disagree but all credit to the team for grinding out a result.
Last season please tell me the number of times you left a game buzzing like after many Carr/Wilder games.
I know you always bite on any perceived  negative comment about our team but sometimes you have to accept comments in a grown up fashioned rather than defending for the sake of it or simply saying that viewpoint is wrong. Life and football is not polorised and there are many glorious shades of grey.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #157 on: October 18, 2020, 14:38:28 pm »

Bungle's formation from yesterday would be a good option 4-2-3-1 - two deeper midfielders with an attacking midfielder and two wider players supporting the striker.     

Maybe, if we had a strong striker who could hold the ball up I would tend to agree more, although depending how high the attacking wide players play and how deep the #10 is there isn’t a huge difference between 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1

Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #158 on: October 18, 2020, 15:18:32 pm »

Plymouth did not break us down easily but relied on good fortune to win the match.

Really? 'Good fortune'? We were not unlucky yesterday. We switched off from a set piece late on and gave them a free header a few yards out.
Report Spam   Logged

EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #159 on: October 18, 2020, 18:50:56 pm »

Arnold is to my eyes just on a par with Cornell, no better and no worse, if he plays all season I'll probably change my opinion one way or another. Yesterday he was fine apart from two mistakes, which cost us two goals, every other player on the pitch made at least two mistakes as well. It's a harsh reality of life for goalkeepers.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: