The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 11:23:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

OXFORD CITY LIVE ON BT SPORT

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OXFORD CITY LIVE ON BT SPORT  (Read 17364 times)
claretparrot

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #280 on: November 10, 2020, 07:08:27 am »

It was an absolute mess and Curle didn’t do anything about it .

This, for me, is why Curle has to take a bigger share of the blame than normal.

He took a big risk with the tactics and team selection which backfired massively. At half time he was extremely lucky we weren't behind and should have faced up to his error, changed the shape/personnel and put an absolute rocket up them. He didn't do the former until well after we'd gone behind and if he tried the latter, the players weren't listening.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #281 on: November 10, 2020, 07:54:50 am »

Last night was down to team selections, shape and manager motivation, it’s had fcuk all to do with housekeeping.
Fair enough, but the squad isnt anywhere near the one Curle wanted in an ideal world and the deficiencies showed up all over the pitch. The main criticism from many has been we didn’t spend enough to compete and as soon as that rings true it’s suddenly down to tactics and team selection? I wouldn’t risk our first eleven in the FA cup, not in that match anyway? Additionally the squad ain’t good enough, but it’s the right one under the circumstances, at least that’s what I think?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #282 on: November 10, 2020, 07:57:07 am »

Fair enough, but the squad isnt anywhere near the one Curle wanted in an ideal world and the deficiencies showed up all over the pitch. The main criticism from many has been we didn’t spend enough to compete and as soon as that rings true it’s suddenly down to tactics and team selection? I would risk our first eleven in the FA cup, not in that match anyway? Additionally the squad ain’t good enough, but it’s the right one under the circumstances, at least that’s what I think?
The point is Melly, he’s got 32 players on the books, way too many cheap punts, 10 less cheap ones for 3 decent ones surely?
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #283 on: November 10, 2020, 08:04:01 am »

Fair enough, but the squad isnt anywhere near the one Curle wanted in an ideal world and the deficiencies showed up all over the pitch. The main criticism from many has been we didn’t spend enough to compete and as soon as that rings true it’s suddenly down to tactics and team selection? I wouldn’t risk our first eleven in the FA cup, not in that match anyway? Additionally the squad ain’t good enough, but it’s the right one under the circumstances, at least that’s what I think?

Curle has brought the players in, Curle spent the whole summer saying "its a buyers market" and that there would be lots of good players out there looking for clubs, then look what he brings in! Once the window closed Curle said there would still be plenty of free agents out there.....

Curle has said about a streamlined squad, lower on numbers but high on quality, we end up with the latter.

Curle chose to release the likes of Turnbull, Williams and co......Curle chose what wages to offer Oliver......
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
spqr

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 10, 2020, 08:06:03 am »

Let's hope that this game was a watershed.  In his post match interview Keith Curle stated that players and agents had been knocking on his door asking for games.   The players are playing for a league 1 team so, if they have anything about them, should be fitter and better than Oxford.  Clearly the game was a shambles.  Keith did not say that the team was unlucky to lose.

If today is a day of honesty then either there will be an improvement or players will not be seen again.  Last season I went to Sc***horpe and that game was embarrassing.  Let's hope this game was a turning point.  Players were given a chance and they know how they performed and what can be done about it now.

Report Spam   Logged
1971cobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Search Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #285 on: November 10, 2020, 08:23:49 am »

Two moments stuck out for me, and neither had anything to do with the bounce of the pitch (more on that in a bit);

Midway through the 2nd half, Missolu received the ball around 25 yards from our goal under no real pressure. He proceeded to make a 10 yard pass straight to the opposition. The commentator then said "and Northampton give them possession straight back" or along those lines.

Secondly, with about 10 minutes to go, Ricky did well in the middle and made an easy pass out wide to (I think?) Korboa. The ball bounced off his boot as if he was wearing a trampoline and possession was lost.

We can all blame Curle all we want for his tactics and motivation skills, but the fact is you can't blame him for p**s poor ability from what are supposed to be professional footballers.

On the subject of the pitch, I was always of the opinion that, on a bouncy surface, you should always meet the ball before it bounced. How many times did Horsfall let it drop?

Finally, I think Horsfall was lucky not to receive a red for his stupid pull back for their 2nd pen, likewise for Martin on their 1st.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 10, 2020, 08:32:53 am »

Two moments stuck out for me, and neither had anything to do with the bounce of the pitch (more on that in a bit);

Midway through the 2nd half, Missolu received the ball around 25 yards from our goal under no real pressure. He proceeded to make a 10 yard pass straight to the opposition. The commentator then said "and Northampton give them possession straight back" or along those lines.

Secondly, with about 10 minutes to go, Ricky did well in the middle and made an easy pass out wide to (I think?) Korboa. The ball bounced off his boot as if he was wearing a trampoline and possession was lost.

We can all blame Curle all we want for his tactics and motivation skills, but the fact is you can't blame him for p**s poor ability from what are supposed to be professional footballers.

On the subject of the pitch, I was always of the opinion that, on a bouncy surface, you should always meet the ball before it bounced. How many times did Horsfall let it drop?

Finally, I think Horsfall was lucky not to receive a red for his stupid pull back for their 2nd pen, likewise for Martin on their 1st.

Who decided they were professional footballers worthy of a place in our League 1 team? Missilou pulled up no trees in a struggling League Two Oldham side last season, and Korboa actually played the level below Oxford City last season. Just because you put players into a League 1 setup it doesn't automatically turn them into League 1 quality players.
Report Spam   Logged

guest3086

« Reply #287 on: November 10, 2020, 08:41:44 am »

There are posters saying that survival of the club and housekeeping are more important than competing. If that is the case then the strongest team should be played in the cup competitions and not the league for their argument to have substance. With no gate money, the club will receive exactly the same pot of cash wherever they finish in league 1, however they get more dosh the further they go in the cups. If you get decent players it is an investment because they will be in demand if things go awry, if you get s***e players on contracts you are lumbered when the cruel axe falls.
Report Spam   Logged
Buster

View Profile
Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #288 on: November 10, 2020, 08:48:48 am »

This shambles was down to a combination of team selection and lack of effort - no different to what we did at Anfield.  Three divisions difference and the manager thinks he can afford to overly select fringe players.  The players think they have enough to stroll through while the underdogs run their nuts off.
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #289 on: November 10, 2020, 08:59:11 am »

...another disappointing aspect of our performance was total lack of leaders on the pitch - noteably contrasted by the Oxford keeper who you could hear at every set-piece barking orders and instructions to the team. We have a team of youngsters who may or may not be good enough (only proper guidance will determine which) and older journeymen who appear not to care that much.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 10, 2020, 09:23:18 am »

Curle has brought the players in, Curle spent the whole summer saying "its a buyers market" and that there would be lots of good players out there looking for clubs, then look what he brings in! Once the window closed Curle said there would still be plenty of free agents out there.....

Curle has said about a streamlined squad, lower on numbers but high on quality, we end up with the latter.

Curle chose to release the likes of Turnbull, Williams and co......Curle chose what wages to offer Oliver......
Absolutely spot on, although Thomas has to take the blame as well, this is all his creation, he didn’t have a gun put to his head when he bought the club for a pound, his eyes were glazed over with the profit from the land.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 10, 2020, 09:25:22 am »

There are posters saying that survival of the club and housekeeping are more important than competing. If that is the case then the strongest team should be played in the cup competitions and not the league for their argument to have substance. With no gate money, the club will receive exactly the same pot of cash wherever they finish in league 1, however they get more dosh the further they go in the cups. If you get decent players it is an investment because they will be in demand if things go awry, if you get s***e players on contracts you are lumbered when the cruel axe falls.

This! People saying that we rested players because the Stanley game was more important should actually think what they are saying!

If finishing 20th this season is our ultimate aim then we would have to accrue 50 points or so, but we would have 46 games to do so. If we didn't pick up a win at home to Stanley we could pick up a win at home to Stevenage in the following game, or at Burton in the game after that, or at Rochdale, or at home to Fleetwood.......

What i'm trying to say is that you only get one chance in the Cup, but 46 chances in the league.....its not rocket science is it?
Report Spam   Logged

Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 10, 2020, 09:27:38 am »

More curlio bollox https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/curle-wants-another-fa-cup-run-cobblers-3029463
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #293 on: November 10, 2020, 09:31:10 am »

Firstly I believe Melly and 1971 are dead right in their opinion of players and management. So how do you explain Wimbledon and Stanley way above us in the league?  Both smaller clubs who to the best of my knowledge have no star players?  Crooks and & VV arrived as quality players but their form was erratic and failed to save us from relegation. You would have us shelling out for similar players in a pandemic  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #294 on: November 10, 2020, 09:49:43 am »

The point is Melly, he’s got 32 players on the books, way too many cheap punts, 10 less cheap ones for 3 decent ones surely?
That’s a fair point.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
guest3086

« Reply #295 on: November 10, 2020, 09:54:09 am »

Firstly I believe Melly and 1971 are dead right in their opinion of players and management. So how do you explain Wimbledon and Stanley way above us in the league?  Both smaller clubs who to the best of my knowledge have no star players?  Crooks and & VV arrived as quality players but their form was erratic and failed to save us from relegation. You would have us shelling out for similar players in a pandemic  Grin

I know naff all about Wimbledon and Stanley nor do I want to. I wouldn't have touched VV with a bargepole. Crooks was SOLD to Rotherham. Next question.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #296 on: November 10, 2020, 10:09:35 am »

Curle bleated on and on in the summer about getting the right mentality and attitude in the squad with his recruitment.
Multiple meetings and getting into the psyche of individuals .
What a load of old rubbish he speaks .
This squad look a bunch of snowflakes with no backbone to me .
Sheehan and Holmes are good additions in that respect but some of the others out there a 6ft something pansies no doubt with their luis Vuitton wash bags and pure white Nikes on . Pathetic .
This club needs a Cresswell or Dyche type player that shakes a few pretenders up and gets them polishing his boots .
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #297 on: November 10, 2020, 10:15:56 am »

I know naff all about Wimbledon and Stanley nor do I want to. I wouldn't have touched VV with a bargepole. Crooks was SOLD to Rotherham. Next question.

In this instance you are missing the point which you made in the first place Grin
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Shoemaker

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #298 on: November 10, 2020, 10:19:12 am »

The lads gave it everything but came up short.
For all the turd polishing regards chuks and seal we have learned last night that they are nowhere near league one standard strikers at this moment in time and both could do with loan spells to focus their minds.

If either one of them had hopes of making it as professional footballers then they would have torn Oxford city to shreds.

They didn’t.

We still desperately need league one quality players at the back and up front.

We can stay up but many in our squad are league one players in name only....

It all goes back to the peanuts plus wage structure model that was put in place that has ended up with us losing out to other clubs for our targets or losing our players to others whilst scrambling around to find cheap options who fancy a game.

Keith isn’t blameless but in reality who could he have signed of the desired quality given that wage structure.

I bet he had many conversations with players who would have walked into this team but after telling them about peanuts plus they pissed themselves laughing and never came back.

David nugent decided not to play at all (training at home and nowhere near the Preston squad) rather than play for tuppence and you can guarantee there were plenty more.....

It wouldn’t matter who was managing as they wouldn’t be allowed to bring in their first choice targets...

Keith will stay because no serious manager would want to manage under those constraints.

If anyone thinks the cowleys would come here they are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Just like the players we are only likely to get a manager who is desperate and unlikely to get a job elsewhere.
Much like Keith when he was appointed....

No ambitious manager would see the cobblers as a chance to improve their career instead a poison chalice and a hiding to nothing.....
Report Spam   Logged
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #299 on: November 10, 2020, 10:29:09 am »

Curle bleated on and on in the summer about getting the right mentality and attitude in the squad with his recruitment.
Multiple meetings and getting into the psyche of individuals .
What a load of old rubbish he speaks .
This squad look a bunch of snowflakes with no backbone to me .
Sheehan and Holmes are good additions in that respect but some of the others out there a 6ft something pansies no doubt with their luis Vuitton wash bags and pure white Nikes on . Pathetic .
This club needs a Cresswell or Dyche type player that shakes a few pretenders up and gets them polishing his boots .
Agree 100%
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: