The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 21:32:10 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

WALTER TULL

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WALTER TULL  (Read 3923 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2020, 09:06:08 am »

I get all that but politicians start the wars and then after all that death and destruction they sit down together and sign a piece of paper to say it's all over, so ultimately pointless.
I've never tweeted!

So it’s careless of us to have a treaty with Belgian to protect their neutrality?  You made some pretty silly comments on COVID considering that 50k have perished.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2020, 10:01:05 am »

Whilst I am no Covid denier,

• 92% of those people had another cause of death as well as Covid
    The deaths for every other illness bar about 2 have dropped below the 5 year average for June
    8000+ of those deaths were attributed to Covid with no test being carried out.

The ONS data is far better than the raw number they display on the news

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsinvolvingcovid19englandandwales/deathsoccurringinjune2020?fbclid=IwAR2xbTfWWohAaDdMpx1Y87U6t4sPzrvC_Cr7lFqoEFSdthdynXaeHdC-2v4
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2020, 10:26:06 am »

Whilst I am no Covid denier,

• 92% of those people had another cause of death as well as Covid
    The deaths for every other illness bar about 2 have dropped below the 5 year average for June
    8000+ of those deaths were attributed to Covid with no test being carried out.

The ONS data is far better than the raw number they display on the news

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/deathsinvolvingcovid19englandandwales/deathsoccurringinjune2020?fbclid=IwAR2xbTfWWohAaDdMpx1Y87U6t4sPzrvC_Cr7lFqoEFSdthdynXaeHdC-2v4

Jesus another denying the facts
Report Spam   Logged

Horsham Cobbler

"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look"

View Profile
500 Posts Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2020, 10:55:03 am »

So it’s careless of us to have a treaty with Belgian to protect their neutrality?  You made some pretty silly comments on COVID considering that 50k have perished.

Think you'll find it's "Belgium"
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2020, 12:21:03 pm »

Think he's after a pact with Jean-Claude Van Damme.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2020, 12:26:03 pm »

Thanks top appreciation - you sound nervous before todays game? Do you always talk off topic?
Report Spam   Logged

EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2020, 12:38:53 pm »

After the first world war 50-150 million people died of flu, did the world go on hold? No, does that make all that generation silly?, No of course not, but it show a different attitude, that's all I'm saying.
Report Spam   Logged
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2020, 13:09:49 pm »

Jesus another denying the facts

I am not denying the facts, I am providing you the facts from the Government data.

I have worn a mask and followed the guidelines to the letter. I am just pointing out that even the government data shows its not actually 50,000 deaths due to Covid.

Even if someone tested positive a chunk of those deaths are actually the result of other illnesses, and 16% of the deaths there was not even a test carried out,

"Our definition of COVID-19 includes some cases where the certifying doctor suspected the death involved COVID-19 but was not certain, for example, because no test was done. Of the 46,736 deaths with an underlying cause of COVID-19, 3,763 (8.1%) were classified as “suspected” COVID-19. Including mentions, “suspected” COVID-19 was recorded on 8.4% (4,251 deaths) of all deaths involving COVID-19."

Report Spam   Logged

Horsham Cobbler

"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look"

View Profile
500 Posts Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2020, 13:37:58 pm »

Thanks top appreciation - you sound nervous before todays game? Do you always talk off topic?

Who wouldn't be nervous after Monday night.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2021, 16:41:11 pm »

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/orphaned-football-pioneer-british-armys-25114578
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2021, 17:00:55 pm »

I am not denying the facts, I am providing you the facts from the Government data.

I have worn a mask and followed the guidelines to the letter. I am just pointing out that even the government data shows its not actually 50,000 deaths due to Covid.

Even if someone tested positive a chunk of those deaths are actually the result of other illnesses, and 16% of the deaths there was not even a test carried out,

"Our definition of COVID-19 includes some cases where the certifying doctor suspected the death involved COVID-19 but was not certain, for example, because no test was done. Of the 46,736 deaths with an underlying cause of COVID-19, 3,763 (8.1%) were classified as “suspected” COVID-19. Including mentions, “suspected” COVID-19 was recorded on 8.4% (4,251 deaths) of all deaths involving COVID-19."

My aunt died of COVID in May. She was 88 years old and in poor health, and in fact had been bedridden since last October. Nine weeks before she died she was rushed into hospital where she was diagnosed with pneumonia. At this time she tested negative for COVID. Her death certificate lists her death as COVID related. She either contracted COVID while in the hospital, or else never had it. Who knows? Either way, she wasn't a well woman. No one in the family believes that COVID was the primary cause of death.

My best mates uncle suffered a stroke and was taken to hospital. He died nine days later from a COVID related death. When this was queried the family were told it was because he had been placed on a ventilator. So who knows?

Those are just two ACTUAL cases. GEN.Disorda is right, the true facts are out there. But the likes of Evers would rather take the BBC's word on it.
Don't get me wrong, I am not denying the problems caused by this illness. But for those in relatively good health it is not the threat that has been portrayed: I say this as someone who has had COVID, as have my missus, one of my daughters, one of my sons, my daughter-in-law, and five of my grandchildren.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2021, 17:09:35 pm »

It's still a travesty that he wasn't awarded the Military Cross. As I understand it, it basically wasn't given not because it wasn't deserved, but because at the time black soldiers weren't eligible for it. He wasn't eligible to become an officer either, but they were happy for him to become one and lead his men over the top.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
tcobb

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2021, 17:46:39 pm »

Back of the net, there is no evidence at all that Tull wasn't given the Military Medal because of his colour. We will never know why Tull and other service personnel who were recommended for medals in WW1 never got them.

As a footnote the first Victoria Cross awarded to a person of colour was given in 1857.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 18:14:18 pm by tcobb » Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2021, 18:31:11 pm »

I'm sure I remember reading something about it years ago but Googling it now the only thing I can find is a suggestion that it was refused because of it was rewarded it would have drawn attention to the breach of the rules that allowed him to become an officer in the first place. It does only seem to be a suggestion though and bar a slightly cryptic comment that his biographer might have found some new evidence to suggest that was the case there's no sign of the evidence itself, so happy to be corrected if I've got it wrong!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
tcobb

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2021, 18:54:11 pm »

I think the misunderstanding comes from a few years back when it was reported that Tull  "Probably "wasn't awarded the Military Medal because of his colour, no proof was put forward to support this theory.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 01:07:03 am by tcobb » Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2021, 03:11:39 am »

I think the misunderstanding comes from a few years back when it was reported that Tull  "Probably "wasn't awarded the Military Medal because of his colour, no proof was put forward to support this theory.

Was it the BBC who reported this? Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2021, 18:36:13 pm »

To be fair, there was a shortage of military medals at the time, across Europe - not just Britain. To be more accurate, the medals were produced without real problems. However, getting them transported to the Fields of Flanders was the real issue, so much so that Germans were offered the transportation jobs. By all accounts, few took up the offer!
Report Spam   Logged
Athena

View Profile
Sixth year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2021, 10:02:25 am »

Great item on the club web site from Graham McKechnie today on Walter Tull and Frank Anderson.   To my shame I had not heard of Frank Anderson before but apparently he was the Saints first mixed race player and alongside Walter fought in the first world war, in the same regiment.  Its a great article and Graham needs to be heartily thanked for bringing these stories together and to our attention especially on this day.  We must remember both of them.  On another matter it was good to see that Walter has been honoured at the National Football Museum.  I am going to the museum next week on a visit and look forward to seeing the memorial/plaque they have apparently erected in his memory
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2021, 10:24:55 am »

https://www.forces.net/news/black-history-month-who-was-walter-tull
https://www.forces.net/news/uks-first-black-army-officer-walter-tull-national-football-museum-hall-fame
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 10:28:37 am by Deepcut Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2021, 11:07:37 am »

Of course it was and it was Boris Johnson’s fault too.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: