The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 16:57:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

CURLE OUT.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 49   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CURLE OUT.  (Read 51329 times)
Larry

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #140 on: November 19, 2020, 14:00:53 pm »

I wonder how much they are saving by not training at Moulton College?
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #141 on: November 19, 2020, 17:47:47 pm »

My thoughts too.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Clarity

View Profile
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #142 on: November 22, 2020, 06:35:27 am »

In today... to be continued
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #143 on: November 22, 2020, 10:31:17 am »

In today... to be continued

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #144 on: November 22, 2020, 11:32:08 am »

KC has regularly said football is as much as what you do without the ball as what you do with it. Yesterday was another prime example of possession counting for very little as Burton had 62% possession and Mitchell did not have to make a serious save. When we played MK they had 68% possession and didn't look like scoring as a lot of the possession was playing tippy tappy football across the back line. Thank goodness we do not have to watch that every week.
Yesterday MK had 65% possession and lost, Rochdale had 60% possession and lost, Crewe had 70% possession and got hammered 4-0. If you keep your shape when the opposition has the ball it can make it very difficult for them to create chances. I would like to see less crosses coming into our box but it is probably to be expected when you start with only 3 defenders and attacking players at wing back, although both also got through some good defensive work yesterday.
People say we have no plan B but KC tweeked the shape yesterday to play 1 up front with Holmes and Chukwuemeka playing behind him and to get in behind their defense and it worked. Nobody on here came close to predicting yesterdays starting 11 and yes we were playing Burton but you can only beat what is in front of you, they had drawn twice at Peterborough this season.
Report Spam   Logged
Charlatan

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #145 on: November 22, 2020, 12:15:40 pm »

KC has regularly said football is as much as what you do without the ball as what you do with it. Yesterday was another prime example of possession counting for very little as Burton had 62% possession and Mitchell did not have to make a serious save. When we played MK they had 68% possession and didn't look like scoring as a lot of the possession was playing tippy tappy football across the back line. Thank goodness we do not have to watch that every week.
Yesterday MK had 65% possession and lost, Rochdale had 60% possession and lost, Crewe had 70% possession and got hammered 4-0. If you keep your shape when the opposition has the ball it can make it very difficult for them to create chances. I would like to see less crosses coming into our box but it is probably to be expected when you start with only 3 defenders and attacking players at wing back, although both also got through some good defensive work yesterday.
People say we have no plan B but KC tweeked the shape yesterday to play 1 up front with Holmes and Chukwuemeka playing behind him and to get in behind their defense and it worked. Nobody on here came close to predicting yesterdays starting 11 and yes we were playing Burton but you can only beat what is in front of you, they had drawn twice at Peterborough this season.

Good post Sir
Report Spam   Logged
The Hask
Martin Hasker

www.TeynAwayDays.com - Away travel for Cobblers

View Profile WWW
Webmaster Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #146 on: November 22, 2020, 16:21:18 pm »

The club needs to do all it can to save money so can hardly blame them I guess
Report Spam   Logged

www.teynawaydays.com Hotel End GTA Champion 2010/11 - Wearing the claret with pride.    X (Twitter) @martinhasker
guest3086

« Reply #147 on: November 22, 2020, 17:37:26 pm »

People keep saying on here, you can only beat what is put in front of you. I do not think there is any truth in this statement whatsoever.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #148 on: November 22, 2020, 18:22:45 pm »

People keep saying on here, you can only beat what is put in front of you. I do not think there is any truth in this statement whatsoever.

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
MunchyMagic

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 24, 2020, 14:51:08 pm »

Hi all - a Carlisle United fan here again, the one that was pro-Curle when he was appointed your manager.

Just thought that I would have a look over here to see how he is getting on and it does make me chuckle as it virtually mirrors what a lot of Carlisle United supporters were saying when he was our manager, albeit with different players of course.

Like yourselves the players that we had under Curle were on those incentive based contracts, we however we were top of the league at Christmas and our board were furious because they were skint by forking out those bonuses and it put the club in a bit of bother financially, they are still blaming Curle for this 'mess' to this very day - basically they couldn't afford the money that success on the pitch was bringing and what happened was that the club found a way of how to stop paying these 'win' bonuses, the players reported the club to the PFA, the club won and then our form plummeted us down the league till we scraped a last upturn of form and got into the playoffs.

Our board would have loved to have sacked him but Curle has a knack of turning things around as you have seen, the arguments that you have that the football is poor is what our fans were saying but the majority of fans were behind him because the results on the whole were very good, after inheriting one of our worst ever teams that was routed to the bottom of the league he turned us into a club that pushed for promotion every season, the season was always kept alive until the last few games which I liked, I think that Curle is not bothered about a settled team which many find infuriating but sets the team up for individual games which can play havoc with your form, we for example hadn't won in a while and there were rumours from 'people in the know' that he had lost the dressing room then he went and won four games on the bounce silencing the critics.

I can see both sides to be honest but it all depends on what you are happy with, give Curle a bit of money and he will take you there or there about in the league nearly every time, if you don't then the lower placing in the league coupled with the style of football may be a bit too much for some - one thing Curle has though as mentioned is the ability to turn things around that many other managers don't have, usually they hit rocky form that they cannot get out of and are sacked.

Many wouldn't but I would have Curle back as manager in the future but our new lad Beech is doing the business for us now- I don't think that he would be allowed back anyhow as the DOF still slags him off at every opportunity to this very day, he also forgets that the squad that Curle left us with was excellent and even Sheridan had them flying at the top of the league, a lot of the bad feeling was that Curle was 'allegedly' side-stepping the usual routes to signing players and was going straight to the owner who sanctioned them going above others therefore putting their noses out of joint. 

Anyhow - good luck for the rest of the season and with a bit of luck we will be up there in League 1 playing you next season Smiley

« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 14:54:16 pm by MunchyMagic » Report Spam   Logged
Pablo69

View Profile
Level 5 Signature Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #150 on: November 24, 2020, 16:05:23 pm »

Thank you Munchy magic for a very informative and interesting post. I personally think that KC is about the best that we could expect to want to manage us. We are not a top team and do not have a rich history, excellent ground, or a vast supporter base. I do feel that some posters on here expect him to be a Klopp or similar. I accept he has his faults ( imho zone marking and team tinkering too much)  but he has done well to get us promoted last season. I do think he will keep us up ( i predicted 16th or 17th before the season started)  Bearing in mind we lost turnbull cornell goode oliver etc and started with a whole new defence at shortish notice i think this would be acceptable and give him time to improve the squad albeit on a shoestring.
Report Spam   Logged

"The voice of reason"
Saint Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 24, 2020, 16:27:50 pm »

Thank you Munchy magic for a very informative and interesting post. I personally think that KC is about the best that we could expect to want to manage us. We are not a top team and do not have a rich history, excellent ground, or a vast supporter base. I do feel that some posters on here expect him to be a Klopp or similar. I accept he has his faults ( imho zone marking and team tinkering too much)  but he has done well to get us promoted last season. I do think he will keep us up ( i predicted 16th or 17th before the season started)  Bearing in mind we lost turnbull cornell goode oliver etc and started with a whole new defence at shortish notice i think this would be acceptable and give him time to improve the squad albeit on a shoestring.
Not a top team - how do you qualify this? Sunderland or Burnley, which is the top team between these, for example? We would possibly be a top team if a decent manager got us a couple of promotions a la Bournemouth.
No rich history - well we have been a first division team and we have had a lot of promotions, even recently, just a pity we didn't have the consistency of management to stay in the higher division.
Don't have a vast supporter base - we took one of the biggest ever contingents to Wembley, so who knows how many would watch the Cobblers if we had a team that didn't constantly crash back to tier 4.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #152 on: November 24, 2020, 16:57:30 pm »

Not a top team - how do you qualify this? Sunderland or Burnley, which is the top team between these, for example? We would possibly be a top team if a decent manager got us a couple of promotions a la Bournemouth.
No rich history - well we have been a first division team and we have had a lot of promotions, even recently, just a pity we didn't have the consistency of management to stay in the higher division.
Don't have a vast supporter base - we took one of the biggest ever contingents to Wembley, so who knows how many would watch the Cobblers if we had a team that didn't constantly crash back to tier 4.

Grin Don't wear those glasses when driving...  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Pablo69

View Profile
Level 5 Signature Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #153 on: November 24, 2020, 17:48:34 pm »

Saint Cobbler. Not running us down and no offence intended to you or anyonr but never been in championship and 1 season in the old first division is not impressive. A ground that only  holds 7000 and no FA cup wins etc in the past like Preston Blackpool, etc does not imho give us a rich history to enable us to compete for a championship standard manager.
KC is about our level and the best we can get...
Report Spam   Logged

"The voice of reason"
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #154 on: November 24, 2020, 20:00:02 pm »

Get this clown out the club.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #155 on: November 24, 2020, 20:36:24 pm »

Saint Cobbler. Not running us down and no offence intended to you or anyonr but never been in championship and 1 season in the old first division is not impressive. A ground that only  holds 7000 and no FA cup wins etc in the past like Preston Blackpool, etc does not imho give us a rich history to enable us to compete for a championship standard manager.
KC is about our level and the best we can get...

We have some decent history in what is now the championship(3 seasons) and one year in the old 1st Div when it was filled by players like Charlton x 2, Ball, Vernon, Moore, Bell , Hurst, Lee, Bell, etc. In the past we beat Arsenal in the Cup. Somewhat unlucky to be relegated on 31pts too; just that flukey win by Fulham which did for us. I feel generally we can hold our heads high with most/some clubs. Clubs like Posh, WW and Rotheram have done bugger all
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #156 on: November 24, 2020, 20:57:10 pm »

We have some decent history in what is now the championship(3 seasons) and one year in the old 1st Div when it was filled by players like Charlton x 2, Ball, Vernon, Moore, Bell , Hurst, Lee, Bell, etc. In the past we beat Arsenal in the Cup. Somewhat unlucky to be relegated on 31pts too; just that flukey win by Fulham which did for us. I feel generally we can hold our heads high with most/some clubs. Clubs like Posh, WW and Rotheram have done bugger all

If you mean Colin Bell and Francis Lee we did not play against either of them when we had our 1 year in Division 1 as Man City were in Division 2 at the time. We did play against the likes of Law, Best, Greaves and Peters though just to name a few. Another good player in those days was Phil Woosnam who played for Aston Villa, the only team we did the double over.

No idea who Vernon is.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #157 on: November 24, 2020, 20:59:53 pm »

Perhaps Mysterious if you think the manager is a clown you should change your name to Mysterious Clown.
This is the clown that turned the ship around 2 seasons ago after we had taken 7 points from the first 10 games. This is the clown that got us promoted last season. This is the clown that took us on a FA Cup run that brought in £750,000. This is the clown that spotted Charlie Goode, who could not hold down a place at Sc***horpe, and developed him into a player that we sold for £1 to £1.5 million. Don't you just love clowns?.  
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #158 on: November 24, 2020, 21:10:59 pm »

Perhaps Mysterious if you think the manager is a clown you should change your name to Mysterious Clown.
This is the clown that turned the ship around 2 seasons ago after we had taken 7 points from the first 10 games. This is the clown that got us promoted last season. This is the clown that took us on a FA Cup run that brought in £750,000. This is the clown that spotted Charlie Goode, who could not hold down a place at Sc***horpe, and developed him into a player that we sold for £1 to £1.5 million. Don't you just love clowns?.  
You seem to know a lot about clowns?
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Air-Dan

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 24, 2020, 21:15:04 pm »

We're not currently in the relegation zone.

Staying up this season is success. What do people expect?

A change of manager could easily backfire in our current position.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 49   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: