The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 09:03:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

CURLE OUT.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 49   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CURLE OUT.  (Read 51467 times)
guest2995

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #500 on: December 18, 2020, 19:13:00 pm »

Live Aid were the Christmas number 1
Dave  Bassett was a football guru
You could tuck your jumper in your jeans .
You could even order a snake bite down The Keep in Kingsthorpe ....
..... the last time tactics like ours were remotely successful .
You can’t survive on manning up and energy levels alone .
Methods have changed .
Have we a CEO strong enough to make a change or will Kelvin have to awake from a slumber and take an interest to make it happen
Report Spam   Logged
guest3264

« Reply #501 on: December 18, 2020, 19:31:18 pm »

OK, I am normally a lurker on threads such as this, but I want to make an observation.
It would appear there a few on here that would almost be happy for us to go down and Curle to remain in charge of our yo-yo team.
Others would want him gone sooner than later, coming out with such comments as "tactically inept, lost the dressing room, going to take us down".
Others blame the lack of investment by the owners, poor transfers etc.
Not many seem to be pointing the fickle finger of fate at the players. From what I have observed on an at times very sketchy I-Player is players who are here for no other reason than the paycheck at the end of the month. They couldn't give a flying fúck about the result, the team or their own performance and are most likely trying to line themselves up a deal for the January tranfer window. With players like that in the side we're doomed(imagine this in a Scottish accent).
I would rather see the subs bench start every week and play their hearts out than the dross served up by players whose belief in their abilities is far outweighs what they are actually capable of producing.
In the real world these players who under perform would be shít canned from a normal job.
Having said that the same would apply to Curle. As a manager his main task is to get the best out of his players in order to produce results(This whole thing of paying out an under performer for the length of his contract is so very wrong).
So we come to options.

1. Dump Curle now and see if a new manager can get something out of these prima donnas(I would assume that there will be no money available in January).

2. Give Curle a suitcase frull of cash in January and tell him fill his boots(very unlikely).

3. Give Curle the chance in January to off load the hangers on and get some long term loanees in to take us to the end of a relegation avoiding season.

4. Carry on as we are and rely on other teams going to the wall to keep us up as some on here have suggested might happen.

For me option three would be the way to go, but I am concerned about January. I honestly can't see it going any other way.

5. Wait until Sheff.United sack Wilder and Knill, then sack Curle and get on the phone to Chris within 30 seconds!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #502 on: December 18, 2020, 19:37:04 pm »

KC's interview after Oxford is certainly very different from most others that have gone before. He talks about a lack of leadership and fight and suggests players are "sulking". This doesn't sound good when week after week he has praised the fight in the team and the team spirit in the whole squad. As he also has supposedly signed "characters and leaders" it is even more concerning that he is now saying we lack both (although most fans already knew it).

I'm still hopeful he can pull it round and keep us up but when usually tight-lipped managers like KC start letting fly at players you know things are not in a good place. I hope there's a big reaction tomorrow and he'll prove us wrong again!
Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #503 on: December 18, 2020, 19:37:32 pm »

I don't know why anyone on here is expecting us to do any better than we currently are. We've got a reasonable League 2 squad and this is the best we can expect.
Bower is a rich man but he's worked hard for his money and there's no reason he should toss it all away at a club he has no infinity for without any prospect of a return. Sacking Curle and appointing another manger with similar credentials would waste money that could be spent on players to help get us to mid table safety.
Some of you have really got to get this cult of manager out of your heads. They are all coaches that work within the budgets they have and follow the same pretty tough FA coaching courses they've all studied in order to get the badges to do the job. It's football, not rocket science or voodoo. If Wayne Rooney can do it at Championship level then who can't?
We've had nine managers in as many years, let's try sticking with a manager through the good and not so good times, it can't be any worse than the current policy.
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #504 on: December 18, 2020, 19:50:21 pm »

I don't know why anyone on here is expecting us to do any better than we currently are. We've got a reasonable League 2 squad and this is the best we can expect.
Bower is a rich man but he's worked hard for his money and there's no reason he should toss it all away at a club he has no infinity for without any prospect of a return. Sacking Curle and appointing another manger with similar credentials would waste money that could be spent on players to help get us to mid table safety.
Some of you have really got to get this cult of manager out of your heads. They are all coaches that work within the budgets they have and follow the same pretty tough FA coaching courses they've all studied in order to get the badges to do the job. It's football, not rocket science or voodoo. If Wayne Rooney can do it at Championship level then who can't?
We've had nine managers in as many years, let's try sticking with a manager through the good and not so good times, it can't be any worse than the current policy.

Would you advocate retaining a manager for maybe five or six years in an attempt to build a side that can perform at a higher level?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #505 on: December 18, 2020, 19:54:02 pm »

How do you know Bowers has worked hard for his money? If we don't expect to do any better than we are then what is the point? Did Cov. or Wycombe or Rotherham or Luton etc not expect to do better?
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #506 on: December 18, 2020, 20:05:11 pm »

How do you know Bowers has worked hard for his money?

How do we know you did?

Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 18, 2020, 20:17:15 pm »

Would you advocate retaining a manager for maybe five or six years in an attempt to build a side that can perform at a higher level?

If we gave a manager five or six years we'd be in the Championship at least.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 20:19:51 pm by Larry » Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 18, 2020, 20:19:16 pm »

How do you know Bowers has worked hard for his money? If we don't expect to do any better than we are then what is the point? Did Cov. or Wycombe or Rotherham or Luton etc not expect to do better?

Wycombe? How long has Ainsworth been their manager?
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: December 18, 2020, 20:19:23 pm »

If we gave a manger five or six years we'd be in the Championship at least.

Progress through consistency?
Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: December 18, 2020, 20:29:35 pm »

Managers are not magicians, they are football coaches. There's no reason why one manger should outperform any other except for the budget they are operating with. For every Burton or Bournemouth that flirt with success I give you Man City and Liverpool that buy it. Klopp and Guardiola are great tv personalities but their managerial skills rely entirely on huge budgets. How come Solskjæ, sacked at Cardiff after relegation to the Championship, is now top six with Man Utd? Same manager, different budget.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #511 on: December 18, 2020, 20:37:43 pm »

Reading all this is fascinating stuff. When you think about it logically it’s fairly typical of what goes on in many a board room? For me an appraisal of where we are goes like this. Covid strikes and there is immediate concern for the future of many clubs. For years many financial experts have been warning about the unsustainable spending of football clubs and Covid is widely predicted to be the final straw? We have a successful season get ourselves into the playoffs and win promotion off the back of some outstanding performances. By any measure after a rather typical showing in recent times it appears our 5th manager has brought success after 4 previous failures? The club then has a decision to make. Crowds are barred from attending matches money is pouring out of the club, what is the priority for any CEO at this point? My view is that it would irresponsible and incompetent to do anything other than come up with a strategy that gives the club as much financial longevity as possible. The owners duty is to ensure the football club survives for future generations to enjoy. Division 1 survival comes a very distant second, especially when it is highly likely that many clubs may not see out the season and it is a distinct possibility that the season may even not finish? The previous season fixtures were suspended so all of these are reasonable assumptions. Therefore the decisions are made, minimal spending, a restricted wage budget and off load any high earners or players with excessive demands? It is almost unthinkable that other clubs won’t follow suit especially as many are already in a precarious financial position so there should be a number of desirable players without a club? My view is this is exactly what is needed and I for one was on my feet applauding it. These decisions are not being made with hindsight, there are no guarantees these actions will save us or things will play out as predicted. You play the percentages, think with your head not your heart and steer the club down the most likely route to mean you have acted in the best interests of the club?

(For you JHFI) So approaching the midpoint of the season where are we at? Well, 2 things have occurred outside of the club that stand out. The first was that the curb on spending at other clubs clearly didn’t quite pan out as expected. That for me was beyond incredible. I would say Gillingham outbidding us for Vadaine was beyond all reasonable logic given their troubles? The second was the financial bailout which whilst not beyond imaginable, could never have been relied upon with any degree of certainty? Therefore the stay of execution for many clubs has undoubtedly been extended? On the pitch things have played out as expected? We are low on the usual quality required to survive in division 1. We have suffered some unfortunate injuries, particularly to who turned out to be probably our marquee signing at the start of the season, Mills? This has been compounded comparatively by many other clubs continuing to be being run with staggering incompetence financially? As a result we are just above the relegation zone and have been over run on occasions. However, it has to be said that we have also had some wins and have held our own in some games. That being said some of the performances have been woeful but given the circumstances not entirely unexpected?

So what actions do we take now and right here is where many boardrooms fail their clubs and leave all responsibilities and competencies in the Mercedes in the car park? A decision has been taken regarding the best strategy for the football club. What you don’t do at this point is hit the panic button and start trying to spend your way out of trouble. For a start off, statistically it doesn’t work or change anything? All of the financial planning goes out of the window and you push the club closer to, if not over the brink? This kind of panicked irrational thinking borne of weakness is what has driven many clubs to where they are now? What is needed at this point is responsible logical thinking and the strength of character to see it through. Changing a manager who has had to perform with one if not both hands tied behind his back following undoubted success and have a January squad clear out in some act of self indulgence all in contradiction to the original strategy is nothing short of absolute lunacy in my opinion. Particularly when the proposed strategy has proven time and again most likely not to work and come at god knows what cost? FFS give me a break there is no guarantee that this season will even finish? That being said it must also be acknowledged that football supporters are not a charity. They have every right to expect certain standards from anyone who pulls on the shirt and are also within there rights to expect a level of performance on the pitch? For that reason I would neither criticise another supporter who took a stand and demanded action or proposed a change? I would however criticise a board for acting without prudence or restraint particularly in the midst of this pandemic. So for me the overwhelmingly correct thing to do is stick to the plan of financial restraint even if this means relegation. My view is that the board and we are merely custodians of the club and our priority is and should remain the protection of the club for future generations? I understand this may be unpopular and I accept it comes at a risk that offers no guarantee that it will work? I also accept that the other strategies being proposed on here may work and bring the desired impact? I just happen to think it is the wrong decision, it was at the start of the season and it is now? May I just request that other supporters take this view onboard and accept it is not without merit?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 20:41:32 pm by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 18, 2020, 20:39:29 pm »

Managers are not magicians, they are football coaches. There's no reason why one manger should outperform any other except for the budget they are operating with. For every Burton or Bournemouth that flirt with success I give you Man City and Liverpool that buy it. Klopp and Guardiola are great tv personalities but their managerial skills rely entirely on huge budgets. How come Solskjæ, sacked at Cardiff after relegation to the Championship, is now top six with Man Utd? Same manager, different budget.

This is the same in real life. If a manager of any description is not given the people required to meet their targets they will fail. So we are back to the sugar daddy scenario.
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 18, 2020, 20:41:02 pm »

Reading all this is fascinating stuff. When you think about it logically it’s fairly typical of what goes on in many a board room? For me an appraisal of where we are goes like this. Covid strikes and there is immediate concern for the future of many clubs. For years many financial experts have been warning about the unsustainable spending of football clubs and Covid is widely predicted to be the final straw? We have a successful season get ourselves into the playoffs and win promotion off the back of some outstanding performances. By any measure after a rather typical showing in recent times it appears our 5th manager has brought success after 4 previous failures? The club then has a decision to make. Crowds are barred from attending matches money is pouring out of the club, what is the priority for any CEO at this point? My view is that it would irresponsible and incompetent to do anything other than come up with a strategy that gives the club as much financial longevity as possible. The owners duty is to ensure the football club survives for future generations to enjoy. Division 1 survival comes a very distant second, especially when it is highly likely that many clubs may not see out the season and it is a distinct possibility that the season may even not finish? The previous season fixtures were suspended so all of these are reasonable assumptions. Therefore the decisions are made, minimal spending, a restricted wage budget and off load any high earners or players with excessive demands? It is almost unthinkable that other clubs won’t follow suit especially as many are already in a precarious financial position so there should be a number of desirable players without a club? My view is this is exactly what needed to occur and I for one was on my feet applauding it. These decisions are not being made with hindsight, there are no guarantees these actions will save us or things will play out as predicted. You play the percentages, think with your head not your heart and steer the club down the most likely route to mean you have acted in the best interests of the club?

(For you JHFI) So approaching the midpoint of the season where are we at? Well, 2 things have occurred outside of the club that stand out. The first was that the curb on spending at other clubs clearly didn’t quite pan out as expected. That for me was beyond incredible. I would say Gillingham outbidding us for Vadaine was beyond all reasonable logic given their troubles? The second was the financial bailout which whilst not beyond imaginable, could never have been relied upon with any degree of certainty? Therefore the stay of execution for many clubs has undoubtedly been extended? On the pitch things have played out as expected? We are low on the usual quality required to survive in division 1. We have suffered some unfortunate injuries, particularly to who turned out to be probably our marquee signing at the start of the season, Mills? This has been compounded comparatively by many other clubs continuing to be being run with staggering incompetence financially? As a result we are just above the relegation zone and have been over run on occasions. However, it has to be said that we have also had some wins and have held our own in some games. That being said some of the performances have been woeful but given the circumstances not entirely unexpected?

So what actions do we take now and right here is where many boardrooms fail their clubs and leave all responsibilities and competencies in the Mercedes in the car park? A decision has been taken regarding the best strategy for the football club. What you don’t do at this point is hit the panic button and start trying to spend your way out of trouble. For a start off, statistically it doesn’t work or change anything? All of the financial planning goes out of the window and you push the club closer to, if not over the brink? This kind of panicked irrational thinking borne of weakness is what has driven many clubs to where they are now? What is needed at this point is responsible logical thinking and the strength of character to see it through. Changing a manager who has had to perform with one if not both hands tied behind his back following undoubted success and have a January squad clear out in some act of self indulgence all in contradiction to the original strategy is nothing short of absolute lunacy in my opinion. Particularly when the proposed strategy has proven time and again most likely not to work and come at god knows what cost? FFS give me a break there is no guarantee that this season will even finish? That being said it must also be acknowledged that football supporters are not a charity. They have every right to expect certain standards from anyone who pulls on the shirt and are also within there rights to expect a level of performance on the pitch? For that reason I would neither criticise another supporter who took a stand and demanded action or proposed a change? I would however criticise a board for acting without prudence or restraint particularly in the midst of this pandemic. So for me the overwhelmingly correct thing to do is stick to the plan of financial restraint even if this means relegation. My view is that the board and we are merely custodians of the club and our priority is and should remain the protection of the club for future generations? I understand this may be unpopular and I accept it comes at a risk that offers no guarantee that it will work? I also accept that the other strategies being proposed on here may work and bring the desired impact? I just happen to think it is the wrong decision, it was at the start of the season and it is now? May I just request that other supporters take this view onboard and accept it is not without merit?

Dude, get a life  Grin

How much have you had to drink?
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #514 on: December 18, 2020, 20:43:20 pm »

Wycombe? How long has Ainsworth been their manager?

Grin  Grin  Grin.  Very Clever
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 18, 2020, 20:45:48 pm »

Dude, get a life  Grin

How much have you had to drink?

Not enough Sing, I’m in the midst of doing some planning of my own to change that.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 18, 2020, 20:48:29 pm »

Not enough Sing, I’m in the midst of doing some planning of my own to change that.

Business plans, project plans, finacial forecasts. I quit all that and became a truck driver.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 18, 2020, 20:50:35 pm »

Business plans, project plans, finacial forecasts. I quit all that and became a truck driver.
Any jobs going, I’m fcuking things up my end?
Report Spam   Logged

singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 18, 2020, 20:53:16 pm »

Any jobs going, I’m fcuking things up my end?

Semi-retirement. Drive the truck part time for something to do and beer tokens.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 18, 2020, 20:55:56 pm »

Semi-retirement. Drive the truck part time for something to do and beer tokens.
Sensible planning Sing, a rare commodity on here
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 49   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: