The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 23:17:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Taking the knee

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taking the knee  (Read 4816 times)
Shoemender

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2021, 17:13:54 pm »

Taking the knee is a political statement in support of BLM. I am all for supporting the fight against racism but not by this method. If the Cobblers do it I will be looking away. It really is time to stop it.

No it isn’t.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2021, 17:21:22 pm »

You can perceive it that way but that doesn’t make it true. The gesture was started by someone wanting to use their high profile position to make a stance against racial injustice not in support of an organisation. While the two have been linked at times, which is more likely to do with a catchy slogan than any political agenda, which is different from country to country. Sportsman as far as I’m aware state the gesture has no political agenda to them and it is in-line with its conception as people using a high profile position to make a stance against continued racial injustice.

Exactly right Winslow. What else would people like to see the players do as a gesture against racism?;
Round of applause.
Stand on their head.
Clenched fist salute.
Combination of all 3.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3429

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2021, 18:27:27 pm »

Exactly right Winslow. What else would people like to see the players do as a gesture against racism?;

Play football?
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2021, 19:05:12 pm »

Play football?

Some racists already do this.
Report Spam   Logged
the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2021, 20:29:44 pm »

No it isn’t.

Oh yes it is.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2021, 21:27:52 pm »

Oh yes it is.

What else would people like to see the players do as a gesture against racism? Because that’s all it is and I don’t understand why some people have a problem with a gesture of equality unless they have a problem with equality in general. So;
Round of applause.
Stand on their head.
Clenched fist salute.
Combination of all 3.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3429

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2021, 07:24:25 am »

What else would people like to see the players do as a gesture against racism?

Nothing. Play football.

How many gestures do you want? What about a campaign designed to stamp out racism at football grounds with a catchy football related name that people can remember, lets say, "Kick it Out?"

If certain players are receiving hateful or hurtful abuse on Twitter or Instagram its not my problem, they could try contact their internet supplier, delete their accounts or keep them private for close friends and family only, but they wont because they want to wallow in adulation.

In the context of world problems a few millionaire footballers upset by online abuse isn't.

Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2021, 08:11:03 am »

Oh yes it is.

Of course! I hadn’t got the memo you are the sole arbiter, not the person who started the gesture or not the people doing the gesture.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2021, 08:35:49 am »

Nothing. Play football.

AHow many gestures do you want?
BWhat about a campaign designed to stamp out racism at football grounds with a catchy football related name that people can remember, lets say, "Kick it Out?"

If certain players are receiving hateful or hurtful abuse on Twitter or Instagram its not my problem, they could try contact their internet supplier, delete their accounts or keep them private for close friends and family only, but they wont because they want to wallow in adulation.

In the context of world problems a few millionaire footballers upset by online abuse isn't.

A. Just the one will do. Unfortunately for some reason a fair few people don’t like it.
B. That’s obviously worked well, it’s completely rid the game of all racism/discrimination/abuse.

These players are role models for young people and maybe seeing them make any sort of gesture against racism might just rub off on some of them. You’re never going to educate some people. As for the online abuse, it’s a big problem on all social media platforms and has ended in tragic circumstances in a lot of cases. That’s all I have to say on the matter and won’t be commenting further.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2021, 08:38:28 am »

Nothing. Play football.

How many gestures do you want? What about a campaign designed to stamp out racism at football grounds with a catchy football related name that people can remember, lets say, "Kick it Out?"

I think you’ll find it’s about a lot more than just racist social media posts. It’s embarrassing in this day and age that people get different levels of opportunities, policing and justice among a myriad of other things dependant on the colour of their skin. If people want to use high profile positions to fight against this I’m all for it. Unfortunately I think it will fall on deaf ears as there are too many happy with the status quo or so indifferent that they don’t want to put any effort into tackling inequality. The ‘Kick It Out’ campaign however well meaning has achieved very little and I think even the people involved would admit it is not fit for purpose. As for footballers who suffer racist abuse either quitting social media or making their accounts private, why should they have to? why can’t we do more to tackle it? even though eradicating racism on social media is unfortunately a pipe dream, more can definitely be done to remove posts and prosecute the posters.
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2021, 20:10:55 pm »

You can do what you like. You won't stop a c*** being a c***. Some people are beyond reason. The greatest danger with generic gestures, is that they only serve to preach to those that are already enlightened enough not to need it.

I know some racists, sexist, misogynists, pretty much across the spectrum of race. You can take the knee all day long, they are impervious to reason, hence their stance.

Report Spam   Logged
guest3429

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2021, 02:33:34 am »

I think you’ll find it’s about a lot more than just racist social media posts. It’s embarrassing in this day and age that people get different levels of opportunities, policing and justice among a myriad of other things dependant on the colour of their skin. If people want to use high profile positions to fight against this I’m all for it. Unfortunately I think it will fall on deaf ears as there are too many happy with the status quo or so indifferent that they don’t want to put any effort into tackling inequality. The ‘Kick It Out’ campaign however well meaning has achieved very little and I think even the people involved would admit it is not fit for purpose. As for footballers who suffer racist abuse either quitting social media or making their accounts private, why should they have to? why can’t we do more to tackle it? even though eradicating racism on social media is unfortunately a pipe dream, more can definitely be done to remove posts and prosecute the posters.

We have people of colour at the top of almost every profession in the UK from media, sport, politics and business, its not a perfect world but there is little or no impediment to anyone wanting to achieve in the UK, so where is this hotbed of racism you see around you that makes you so embarrassed?  Did you witness open racism at the game? Where also is your evidence the Police today discriminate due to colour, have you been personally affected or researched online?

My wife (who is not white) and I have a pet name, we call each other monkey, as in cheeky monkey. You might call your partner love, darling, sexy arse, pumpkinywumkinny, whatever that's entirely up to you. The last time we were in a pub together in Northampton about six years ago enjoying ourselves with friends, when it was time to go, I said to my wife, "Come on monkey, we must go now"  From behind me a guy I had never met, knew nothing about me, my life or my wife grabbed my shoulder and told me, "You cant speak to her like that" The do gooder anti racist who jumped to my wife's defence perceiving there to be racism around when actually there was none.

I live in a country that often charges white people double, a two tier system for foreigners, the UK is certainly not without its problems but in society at large there is very little discrimination. Online is different and I disagree with you again, nearly all hate filled speech today comes through online platforms and it can be solved.

Having the ability to write totally anonymous posts and messages online and hide through a VPN must be stopped. You can be anonymous to others but if you want to comment, as with newspapers before you must supply your address or verified ID. I everyone who posted comments, reviews and bulls*** online could be traced and prosecuted if necessary.

Get off your knee and watch the football. Thank goodness we're not practicing the charade here.

Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2021, 08:47:18 am »

We have people of colour at the top of almost every profession in the UK from media, sport, politics and business, its not a perfect world but there is little or no impediment to anyone wanting to achieve in the UK, so where is this hotbed of racism you see around you that makes you so embarrassed?  Did you witness open racism at the game? Where also is your evidence the Police today discriminate due to colour, have you been personally affected or researched online?

My wife (who is not white) and I have a pet name, we call each other monkey, as in cheeky monkey. You might call your partner love, darling, sexy arse, pumpkinywumkinny, whatever that's entirely up to you. The last time we were in a pub together in Northampton about six years ago enjoying ourselves with friends, when it was time to go, I said to my wife, "Come on monkey, we must go now"  From behind me a guy I had never met, knew nothing about me, my life or my wife grabbed my shoulder and told me, "You cant speak to her like that" The do gooder anti racist who jumped to my wife's defence perceiving there to be racism around when actually there was none.

I live in a country that often charges white people double, a two tier system for foreigners, the UK is certainly not without its problems but in society at large there is very little discrimination. Online is different and I disagree with you again, nearly all hate filled speech today comes through online platforms and it can be solved.

Having the ability to write totally anonymous posts and messages online and hide through a VPN must be stopped. You can be anonymous to others but if you want to comment, as with newspapers before you must supply your address or verified ID. I everyone who posted comments, reviews and bulls*** online could be traced and prosecuted if necessary.

Get off your knee and watch the football. Thank goodness we're not practicing the charade here.

Brilliant post.

I say that taking the knee is a submissive gesture, raising a clenched fist makes it political.
Stand Tall and Proud and Carry On.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2021, 10:29:53 am »

Regarding policing, statistics show you are ten times more likely to be stop and searched if you are black than white, while concerning opportunity, in blind tests with identical CV’s where the only thing changed is the name you get nearly twice as many positive results with a generic white sounding name than a generic non white sounding name. I don’t have any problem with you or your opinions and appreciate you posts but I’m guessing this is a subject we are going to have to agree to disagree and any leave it that,

« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 11:19:19 am by Winslow Lee » Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2021, 10:42:16 am »

I say that taking the knee is a submissive gesture

Like everything in life you can interpret anything in whatever way you want. It started as an American football player remaining sat on the bench while others stood for the national anthem as protest to racial injustice in the country. A soldier wrote to him saying he found this disrespectful so he changed it to taking a knee which both decided was a better form of protest. This was later adopted by a number of other sporting people as a way to use their high profile position to protest against racial injustice in line with its inception.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2021, 11:13:40 am »

Regarding policing, statistics show you are ten times more likely to be stop and searched if you are black than white

This might be a bit contentious, but I think this might be a bit "chicken and egg". A lot of people the police stop are people they think are involved in gang-related activity, and the sad fact is that (certainly in the bigger cities) more young black people than white are tied up with gangs. If the police spot someone they think might be carrying a knife but have already stopped 4 or 5 black people that day vs 1 or 2 white, what are they supposed to do? Stop them and potentially prevent a crime or think "I'd better let him go or my stats are going to look terrible"?

There's a much wider question here about why so many young black people get tied up in gangs in the first place and that's the real issue that needs addressing, and it's not a one-shop-stop to resolve it; I suspect your point about opportunities is a large part of it but there are also cultural factors to address along with the unacceptable behaviours that seem to have become the norms and values on the streets.

None of that is a quick fix though, and while it must be s*** to get randomly stopped while just going about your business because you've been profiled, you can also understand why it happens.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2021, 12:41:35 pm »

I can relate to that. Suffered racism aimed at the wife and kids and myself in many different countries. Bigots are bigots irrespective of their nationality, skin colour or religous outlook and unfortunately nothing is ever going to change that.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2021, 00:28:48 am »

As someone who identifies as lgbtqia
I have been wondering what symbol players could make in support of our community.
I would like to see all our players either go down on both knees or just bend over. What they do with their fists is up to personal choice...
Only just read this Patt, I can’t stop laughing.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2021, 19:58:07 pm »

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/brady-explains-why-cobblers-havent-been-taking-the-knee-this-season-3361941
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Saint Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2021, 21:37:40 pm »

You can do what you like. You won't stop a c*** being a c***. Some people are beyond reason. The greatest danger with generic gestures, is that they only serve to preach to those that are already enlightened enough not to need it.

I know some racists, sexist, misogynists, pretty much across the spectrum of race. You can take the knee all day long, they are impervious to reason, hence their stance.

Exactly
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: