The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 14:25:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

New Year 2021 Transfer Window

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 45   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Year 2021 Transfer Window  (Read 74329 times)
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #500 on: January 16, 2021, 08:36:28 am »

Also, for me I'm willimg to give BAS time considering he was injured at the start of the season to the extent he couldn't use proper studs, and he's younger than Shaun McWilliams. Willing to gamble on the potential being there.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #501 on: January 16, 2021, 09:03:13 am »

Also, for me I'm willimg to give BAS time considering he was injured at the start of the season to the extent he couldn't use proper studs, and he's younger than Shaun McWilliams. Willing to **** on the potential being there.
Maybe he could come good in a team that actually gave him some service, I think he should go out on loan where he will play every week then next season have another look at him.
We are in a relegation scrap and it’s not the place for BAS.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
lordjord

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #502 on: January 16, 2021, 09:34:37 am »

The problem us we could say that about all our players. Put Adams in a side that feeds him the ball high up the pitch out wide and he would still be racking up assists. Give Sowerby a team that retains the ball and he would look better for us (although I appreciate he at least attempts to pass). Same issues could be said with Marshall, Holmes etc etc.

Same problem with our forwards, the problem for all of them is that we create so few clear cut chances for them as a side because we are on the back foot for the majority of each game. BAS has shown clear improvements in the last few games I think. But to come from U23 football from a premier league side where the ball barely leaves the ground to us is going to require a large adjustment.

I think you could bring in any forward and it would be unlikely they would reach double figures in this side. So because of that I try (not always easy) to cut them a little slack.

Even though Edmundson only has limited game time in his career the positive that I can see is that his ball retention looks good. That will be more tricky with limited bodies around him but hopefully that will help us.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #503 on: January 16, 2021, 10:47:21 am »

Also, for me I'm willimg to give BAS time considering he was injured at the start of the season to the extent he couldn't use proper studs, and he's younger than Shaun McWilliams. Willing to **** on the potential being there.
Couldn't use proper studs. Like the ones we used to sharpen you mean?
Seriously, how come his injury prevented him from using boots without studs? I would have thought there was greater risk of  injury and further injury in wearing footwear that he clearly couldnt stand up in?

Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #504 on: January 16, 2021, 16:53:00 pm »

Couldn't use proper studs. Like the ones we used to sharpen you mean?
Seriously, how come his injury prevented him from using boots without studs? I would have thought there was greater risk of  injury and further injury in wearing footwear that he clearly couldnt stand up in?

This is so Cobblers, my feet hurt Keith ....don’t worry BAS here’s some of my old slippers try them out, he shouldn’t be fcuking playing, it like working on a building site saying I’ve got a headache so I’m not going to wear a hard hat....only at NTFC.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #505 on: January 16, 2021, 16:59:19 pm »

No idea with the mechanics behind it, just remember in pre-season that's what was said in the press at the time for why he kept slipping.

I agree that the reinforcements haven't really addressed the issue in the squad at all. I'm amazed that we bought two striker in, though if Smith leaves then maybe it's more justifiable. We had a midfield 3, and I don't know if they know what they're doing or whether they're not executing it. Other than McWilliams who is pressing and trying to tackle as a water-carrier, I'm not sure what the other two do, despite being competent all rounders. Is Watson supposed to be driving forward on the counter like a box-to-box midfielder, to arrive late for the cutbacks. He's not doing that if he is. Is he supposed to be pressing like McWilliams, because he's not doing that either. Is Sowerby supposed to be sitting deep and pinging spot on balls from deep like a Pirlo (which is a tall ask for anyone in this league) or is supposed to be anchoring the midfield and stopping attacks coming in the midfield? Once again, I couldn't really answer what his role is.

Likewise, we have 1 player in the squad that is an actual wing-back, and it's almost the key creative outlet for the formation. You need players who can get up and down the pitch quickly with speed - almost all the wingers being played there out of place are in their 30s, so they either just sit back entirely and give us no passing options, or get caught way up the pitch and let the centre-backs get exposed. More and more they're choosing the former option, and leaving the two strikers to take on three or four players on their own.

We need a decent box-to-box midfielder who can tackle and has the will to want to get forward to support, and we really, really need actual wing-backs.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #506 on: January 16, 2021, 17:14:30 pm »

Welly - I think we needed to freshen up the forward line. We've only scored 19 goals in 21 league games, so clearly a problem. Mickel Miller looks like he can supply and hopefully Edmondson, Rose and Ashley-Seal can finish some off.

I do agree though. We need a creative midfielder with some experience and know-how.
Report Spam   Logged
Ragdoll Cobbler

View Profile
Linux User Level 5 1000 Posts
« Reply #507 on: January 17, 2021, 09:13:39 am »

Nut - any news on Nugent?

Looks like JFH is splashing the cash again in the January transfer window...

Same scenario worked so well for us during his time here didn't it?  Roll Eyes

https://the72.co.uk/215678/burton-albion-hopeful-of-striking-deal-for-preston-north-end-striker/
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 09:15:23 am by Ragdoll Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #508 on: January 17, 2021, 09:14:10 am »

Welly - I think we needed to freshen up the forward line. We've only scored 19 goals in 21 league games, so clearly a problem. Mickel Miller looks like he can supply and hopefully Edmondson, Rose and Ashley-Seal can finish some off.

I do agree though. We need a creative midfielder with some experience and know-how.

Well, yes, scoring goals is clearly a problem, but you could only say it's just a problem of the forward line if they're missing hatfuls of chances or wasting good openings in the final third, but generally speaking they're not. We're creating almost nothing in the way of chances.

I think we must either get a proper  wing-back to play on the other side to Mills or change our system to play to the strengths of the players we have. This is what KC thinks he's doing, but most of the time it's not working, because lying deep and hoofing it up from the back to forwards to flick on to the opposition's defence suprisingly leads to constant loss of possession. Complex stuff eh?

Marshall and Hoskins are currently our best bets for creating chances (but not if played as wing-backs), but Marshall's not getting a look in at the moment. Let's hope Mickel Miller fits in well, and can be a creative spark - but he'll have to get the ball first.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #509 on: January 17, 2021, 10:16:19 am »

No idea with the mechanics behind it, just remember in pre-season that's what was said in the press at the time for why he kept slipping.

I agree that the reinforcements haven't really addressed the issue in the squad at all. I'm amazed that we bought two striker in, though if Smith leaves then maybe it's more justifiable. We had a midfield 3, and I don't know if they know what they're doing or whether they're not executing it. Other than McWilliams who is pressing and trying to tackle as a water-carrier, I'm not sure what the other two do, despite being competent all rounders. Is Watson supposed to be driving forward on the counter like a box-to-box midfielder, to arrive late for the cutbacks. He's not doing that if he is. Is he supposed to be pressing like McWilliams, because he's not doing that either. Is Sowerby supposed to be sitting deep and pinging spot on balls from deep like a Pirlo (which is a tall ask for anyone in this league) or is supposed to be anchoring the midfield and stopping attacks coming in the midfield? Once again, I couldn't really answer what his role is.

Likewise, we have 1 player in the squad that is an actual wing-back, and it's almost the key creative outlet for the formation. You need players who can get up and down the pitch quickly with speed - almost all the wingers being played there out of place are in their 30s, so they either just sit back entirely and give us no passing options, or get caught way up the pitch and let the centre-backs get exposed. More and more they're choosing the former option, and leaving the two strikers to take on three or four players on their own.

We need a decent box-to-box midfielder who can tackle and has the will to want to get forward to support, and we really, really need actual wing-backs.

+1

If Smith leaves Edmondson makes sense as competition for BAS, Miller baffles me though, is he competition  for Rose? if not where does he play? surely we don’t suddenly go to wingers/wide attackers when we didn’t for Holmes who is arguably a better player. I wonder if it was a case of a player KC had been chasing a long time suddenly becoming available and signing him because of that rather than because it was what we needed.
Agree completely a central midfielder and wing back would have been my priority.
Report Spam   Logged
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #510 on: January 17, 2021, 11:38:45 am »

I agree with what virtually everyone is saying we need a wing back, but even then if the new wing back or Mills gets injured we are back in the same position. My problem with KC is that he plays loads of players out of their natural positions, so, if we haven't got wing backs, don't try to put other players in there, play a different formation.
   What his obsession with wing backs is about, god only knows, it's not as if we've looked world beaters using it. Try something which suits the players we have !
Report Spam   Logged
Charlatan

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #511 on: January 17, 2021, 13:01:47 pm »

The problem us we could say that about all our players. Put Adams in a side that feeds him the ball high up the pitch out wide and he would still be racking up assists. Give Sowerby a team that retains the ball and he would look better for us (although I appreciate he at least attempts to pass). Same issues could be said with Marshall, Holmes etc etc.

Same problem with our forwards, the problem for all of them is that we create so few clear cut chances for them as a side because we are on the back foot for the majority of each game. BAS has shown clear improvements in the last few games I think. But to come from U23 football from a premier league side where the ball barely leaves the ground to us is going to require a large adjustment.

I think you could bring in any forward and it would be unlikely they would reach double figures in this side. So because of that I try (not always easy) to cut them a little slack.

Even though Edmundson only has limited game time in his career the positive that I can see is that his ball retention looks good. That will be more tricky with limited bodies around him but hopefully that will help us.
Got to agree with this. Good post your Lordship.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #512 on: January 17, 2021, 17:35:49 pm »

I see in the Oxford match program you could download off the club website it had the player stats for league one. It showed the top 5 players in each section, goals scored, most assists, most interceptions, most tackles etc. Out of the entire list there was only one of our players who made it into any of them. Hoskins, who was in 5th place out of the entire division for most shots, with 53 if I remember right?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
guest3338

« Reply #513 on: January 17, 2021, 20:23:28 pm »

I see in the Oxford match program you could download off the club website it had the player stats for league one. It showed the top 5 players in each section, goals scored, most assists, most interceptions, most tackles etc. Out of the entire list there was only one of our players who made it into any of them. Hoskins, who was in 5th place out of the entire division for most shots, with 53 if I remember right?
Do you remember how many of those went in?  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #514 on: January 17, 2021, 20:25:21 pm »

We have a way of reviling players particularly on here; I like him and that other maligned player Martin. Strange thing about Hoskins is that he still tops the POTS! Like 'em both!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #515 on: January 17, 2021, 22:29:39 pm »

Do you remember how many of those went in?  Grin
One of my mates reckons half were supposed to be crosses and the other half were supposed to be  passes back to our own keeper? Harsh, but I did laugh.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
lordjord

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #516 on: January 17, 2021, 22:53:17 pm »

Seems like Smith is indeed off to Bristol Rovers.
Report Spam   Logged
Ragdoll Cobbler

View Profile
Linux User Level 5 1000 Posts
« Reply #517 on: January 17, 2021, 22:57:46 pm »

Seems like Smith is indeed off to Bristol Rovers.

Permanent deal too allegedly, which is an absolute bonus, as it means we get an actual fee for him.

Wish him well but nowhere near good enough for L1 imo

Just need ntfclad to clarify before it becomes official  Grin

Also, if we are going to replace Smith with another target man, Jayden Stockley has been made available for loan from PNE...

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/preston-make-transfer-decision-on-forwards-future-at-deepdale/
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 23:12:45 pm by Ragdoll Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #518 on: January 18, 2021, 00:42:33 am »

Permanent deal too allegedly, which is an absolute bonus, as it means we get an actual fee for him.

Also, if we are going to replace Smith with another target man, Jayden Stockley has been made available for loan from PNE...

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/preston-make-transfer-decision-on-forwards-future-at-deepdale/

That would have been a really good signing and I’m my opinion and just what we need right now, I’m guessing Edmondson has come in as the Smith replacement though.
Report Spam   Logged
ntfclad

View Profile
Windows User Search Combination
« Reply #519 on: January 18, 2021, 08:51:43 am »

Now I may be completely wrong here, but I don’t think Rovers is the destination.

I’ve asked a few people and interestingly been told Stockley is due at Rovers today to sign for them, so would they need Smith too?

Led to believe nothing is that imminent for Smith as it stands

Also hearing whispers of another incoming at the PTS but will hear about that as and when
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 45   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: