The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 22:03:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Home against the Mackems Sat 02.01.21

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home against the Mackems Sat 02.01.21  (Read 7398 times)
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Level 6
« on: December 31, 2020, 17:49:51 pm »

Welcome to 2021 where we have an attractive home game against Sunderland to look forward to....unfortunately behind closed doors. Sunderland would appear to have recovered from their Covid outbreak that has not seen them play at all since December 15th.
They sit in 11th place on 28 points but have games in hand on most teams above them. They hold the EFL's last unbeaten away league record having won 4 and drawn four of their eight games this season. Oxford, Swindon, Gillingham and Lincoln have seen them walk off with the three points.

Manager Lee Johnson, the son of our former boss Gary only took over in early December, and has overseen just four games, two wins, a draw and a defeat. Last time out away from home they won 4-0 at Lincoln, a game which saw Charlie Wyke score twice. Wyke was one of those high earners expecting to leave in the summer but he stayed on and is top scorer this season with 10 goals to his name. Former Oxford star Chris McGuire has weighed in with six, and Grant Leadbitter has four.

Other big names at Sunderland are Danny Graham, Max Power and Will Grigg, who certainly has not been on fire this season as he has yet to find the back of the net in 12 appearances. They played a 3-4-3 formation in their last game, a 1-1 home draw with AFC Wimbledon, a game which saw them have 73% of the possession, yet they needed an equaliser from defender Bailey Wright in order to share the points.

Just 10 meetings between the clubs over the years, Sunderland with 5 wins, us with three and the other two games drawn. Our last meeting was a league cup game in 2008 which saw us lead 2-0 at the Stadium of Light with less than 10 minutes to play before the home side scored twice and eventually beat us on penalties.
You have to go back to 1987/88 season for our last league encounters, we lost 2-0 at home and 3-1 at Roker Park on the last day of the season as they celebrated winning the title and we missed out on the playoffs. So this will be the first time the teams have met at Sixfields.

Referee for the game is Leigh Doughty, he's refereed mainly in the Championship this season, 13 games in total with 41 yellows and one red card dished out. He was the ref for our playoff semi final second leg last season when we beat Cheltenham, he also handled the league game at Bradford earlier in the season when we went down 2-1 despite him handing out a late red card to Zeli Ismail.

Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 18:34:11 pm »

0-4 Mackems.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 18:44:25 pm »

One of three lower league clubs in the North East... Darlington and Hartlepool completing the trio.

Who remembers being squashed into the corner at Roker Park for the final game of the season on a Bank holiday evening back in 1988?
29,452 at Roker that night (the highest attendance for years, including the Tyne & Wear derby) saw Sunderland confirmed as champions and a 3-1 win for the Mackems!
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 18:45:29 pm »

Our last meeting was a league cup game in 2008 which saw us lead 2-0 at the Stadium of Light with less than 10 minutes to play before the home side scored twice and eventually beat us on penalties.
Yeah came just after we had put Bolton out in the previous round. I was at both games, And the Mackems had a small pitch invasion to celebrate their victory against little old Northampton. I have never liked them since.

Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
guest3086

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2020, 18:51:33 pm »

Who's in goal?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 18:59:26 pm »

One of three lower league clubs in the North East... Darlington and Hartlepool completing the trio.

Who remembers being squashed into the corner at Roker Park for the final game of the season on a Bank holiday evening back in 1988?
29,452 at Roker that night (the highest attendance for years, including the Tyne & Wear derby) saw Sunderland confirmed as champions and a 3-1 win for the Mackems!

Yes, I was there. Tony Adcock scored for us and a certain Marco Gabbiadini played for Sunderland.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary 2500 Posts
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2020, 19:04:50 pm »

'Twas the Saturday before Xmas 1963 we were in our first ever season in division 2 and entertained Sunderland on a frosty County Ground. After the teams had gone back to the dressing rooms from their pre-match warm up the teams re-emerged and the Cobblers had changed into baseball boots. Sunderland in their studs could not get near us and we ran rings round them winning 5-1. At the start of the season we had won 2-0 at Roker Park so did the double over them. Sunderland went on to gain promotion to the top flight that season and we followed them up the next season. In division 1 we beat them at home but lost away.

This season Sunderland's away record of no defeats from 8 games with only 4 goals conceded is far superior to their home record. From 9 games they have only registered 3 wins with home losses to Wigan, MK and Portsmouth and home draws with AFC Wimbledon, Burton and Bristol Rovers. You would have expected them to win 5 of those matches.
They have conceded fewer goals in the division although they have played fewer games than some. In 11th position none of the 10 teams above them have scored fewer goals.
Only 1 team has conceded more goals than us and only Bristol Rovers have scored less goals than us but they have 3 games in hand.
As I posted after the Gillingham game we only have 1 point from 7 home Saturday afternoon games and it is 16 weeks since we scored at home on a Saturday, yet we are unbeaten at home on Tuesday nights.
Sunderland will start as strong favourites with the quality they have in their squad. I would not expect many changes to the starting 11 and we will need to be resolute defensively to get a result.
Report Spam   Logged
tcobb

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 19:10:09 pm »

I too was at Roker Park for the 3-1 defeat in which Adcock scored, only time that season i went by coach to an away game, game was played in the evening if i remember correctly.
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 20:26:30 pm »

Yes, I was there. Tony Adcock scored for us and a certain Marco Gabbiadini played for Sunderland.
Was going to mention Gabbiadini...but couldn't spell it!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2020, 20:28:16 pm »

Was going to mention Gabbiadini...but couldn't spell it!  Grin

Try Marco - easier.
Report Spam   Logged
Charlatan

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2020, 20:50:38 pm »

'Twas the Saturday before Xmas 1963 we were in our first ever season in division 2 and entertained Sunderland on a frosty County Ground. After the teams had gone back to the dressing rooms from their pre-match warm up the teams re-emerged and the Cobblers had changed into baseball boots. Sunderland in their studs could not get near us and we ran rings round them winning 5-1. At the start of the season we had won 2-0 at Roker Park so did the double over them. Sunderland went on to gain promotion to the top flight that season and we followed them up the next season. In division 1 we beat them at home but lost away.

This season Sunderland's away record of no defeats from 8 games with only 4 goals conceded is far superior to their home record. From 9 games they have only registered 3 wins with home losses to Wigan, MK and Portsmouth and home draws with AFC Wimbledon, Burton and Bristol Rovers. You would have expected them to win 5 of those matches.
They have conceded fewer goals in the division although they have played fewer games than some. In 11th position none of the 10 teams above them have scored fewer goals.
Only 1 team has conceded more goals than us and only Bristol Rovers have scored less goals than us but they have 3 games in hand.
As I posted after the Gillingham game we only have 1 point from 7 home Saturday afternoon games and it is 16 weeks since we scored at home on a Saturday, yet we are unbeaten at home on Tuesday nights.
Sunderland will start as strong favourites with the quality they have in their squad. I would not expect many changes to the starting 11 and we will need to be resolute defensively to get a result.
If my memory is right we beat them 2-1 in Div 1. I think it was a night game. I'm sure I'll be corrected if he didn't but I think Jim Baxter played for them that night.
               IF we put as much in as we did v Gills we should get something out of it. UTC
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2020, 20:51:34 pm »

I too was at Roker Park for the 3-1 defeat in which Adcock scored, only time that season i went by coach to an away game, game was played in the evening if i remember correctly.

Yes it was an evening kick-off. Four of us went up by car. I remember the ease we got away from the ground because all the Sunderland fans were celebrating inside.

It was a great finish by Adcock, lovely chip from outside the area and made the score 1-1.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2020, 21:35:08 pm »

Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2020, 22:03:32 pm »

Yes it was an evening kick-off. Four of us went up by car. I remember the ease we got away from the ground because all the Sunderland fans were celebrating inside.

It was a great finish by Adcock, lovely chip from outside the area and made the score 1-1.
Easier getting away than getting in evidently...took us an age trying to park anywhere near!
Had been to some dodgy pub in a Sunderland estate prior, left a bit late to park up.
Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2020, 22:27:52 pm »

I was also there with three others. We were ushered out straight after the game by the stewards as apparently they were worried we would have spoiled the celebrations. I doubt they would have noticed us.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary 2500 Posts
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2021, 10:00:15 am »

Charlatan - Your memory serves you well. Our home win over Sunderland was 2-1 and was on a Tuesday evening but I do not recall if Jim Baxter played for them. It was the 41st game of the 46 game campaign.
Neil Martin gave them the lead (29 mins) and Jim Montgomery preserved the lead until we scored twice in 2 minutes. Mike Everitt with a 30 yarder (70 mins ) and George Hudson (72 mins) converted a Harry Walden cross. Walden came close to scoring a third and late in the game Bryan Harvey made a good save to ensure the win, attendance 17,921. We lost the away fixture 0-3, attendance 32,216.
Sunderland 'keeper Jim Montgomery made 537 appearances for them between 1960-1977.
Report Spam   Logged
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2021, 11:08:29 am »

Charlatan - Your memory serves you well. Our home win over Sunderland was 2-1 and was on a Tuesday evening but I do not recall if Jim Baxter played for them. It was the 41st game of the 46 game campaign.
Neil Martin gave them the lead (29 mins) and Jim Montgomery preserved the lead until we scored twice in 2 minutes. Mike Everitt with a 30 yarder (70 mins ) and George Hudson (72 mins) converted a Harry Walden cross. Walden came close to scoring a third and late in the game Bryan Harvey made a good save to ensure the win, attendance 17,921. We lost the away fixture 0-3, attendance 32,216.
Sunderland 'keeper Jim Montgomery made 537 appearances for them between 1960-1977.
Jim Montgomery played for the England youth team in a match against West Germany at the County Ground in 1962. I think there were a couple of Cobblers in the England team as well, Brian Etheridge and, I think it was either Don Martin or Jim Hall. Also 3 or 4 of the West Germany 1966 World Cup Final team played.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 11:19:49 am by Carton Lid » Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2021, 11:30:33 am »

The game is between about 8.40mins and 19.40 on the video. Adcocks goal is absolute class and we were robbed. Talk about a referee filling his shorts because he’s intimidated by the home crowd? Absolute travesty from what I saw?

Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2021, 14:46:11 pm »

Eric Gates getting a penalty for his air kick.....ah yes I remember it!!

Went on Marvo's coach to the game, stopped off in Durham before the game, a few of us headed for the city, some locals told us of a good pub to go to.... and we got ambushed on the bridge over the river.....lots of running through the streets then before police arrived and things calmed down.....don't think we ever got that drink!!

The Sunderland fans sportingly applauded Adcocks effort, that can be seen in the video too, and yes we skulked away at the end as nearly 30000 Mackems celebrated their success....I think Bristol City still had a couple of games left in the season whilst we were done, they overhauled our points total and robbed us of that last playoff place.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
tcobb

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2021, 15:30:26 pm »

GPC i seem to remember that the Cobblers needed to win the Sunderland game to get a playoff spot, after Bristol City had beaten Doncaster earlier that day. Cobbler would have got a playoff spot if they had won any of their last four games.
Just checked, my mistake , Bristol beat York City that day and Doncaster a few days later.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 15:35:39 pm by tcobb » Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: