The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 19:07:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Home v the Gills 29.12.20

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home v the Gills 29.12.20  (Read 9761 times)
west stand oap

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary 2500 Posts
« Reply #180 on: December 30, 2020, 12:58:30 pm »

Other than losing his footing too much I think some of the criticism of BAS has been a bit OTT. I think KC signed him seeing a future potential but with the Nuttall situation he has had to play him more than he intended. Remember before joining us his only league experience was 5 games on loan at Accrington. Against Lincoln he was probably the best of a bad bunch with several times turning and getting away from his marker which he repeated last night and put himself about physically and made some good driving runs at their defense. I thought he and Rose both did well up front.
The defense was a lot more secure with Sheehan's return and Jones had a pretty good game. Pity about the wall for their goal but they were limited to only one other shot on target and when we restored our 2 goal lead they offered little threat. Also good to see McWilliams back breaking up play and driving forward through the midfield.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #181 on: December 30, 2020, 14:06:41 pm »

Before points one and two Bungle you first need to decide if Hoskins deserves a place in the eleven, it's not compulsory play him?

Very good point CJ. I'm making the assumption that Curle regards Hoskins as undroppable - an assumption which has been born out during the whole of his tenure so far.

I think Curle looks at Hoskins' superior work rate, pace and capacity to press and thinks 'I've got to shoehorn that guy in somewhere'.

However, often this shoehorning has been at the detriment of our overall tactical coherence. As I've said, for me, Hoskins doesn't work as an attacking midfielder at the top of a three in a 3-5-2; playing him there means we get overrun in midfield far too often because his passing isn't tight enough to maintain possession. We've seen that there are a lot of very strong, possession-based midfields in this division and last night showed that we clearly need three proper central midfielders to avoid being overrun.

Neither does Hoskins work as a wide forward in the 3-4-3 formation which KC has attempted to implement this year.

In my view, as I said, he should be used 1. a wing-back 2. in the three behind a striker in a 4-2-3-1 or 3. as a very decent utility option of the bench.

IMO, he just about deserves his place as a right-sided wing-back for now. If I was Curle I would be challenging him to improve his crossing and decision making when in possession. If he can do this then he could yet develop into a very effective player in this position because he has all the other attributes to succeed. However, I would also be looking to bring in another RWB in January to give him some competition.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 14:09:19 pm by bungle » Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #182 on: December 30, 2020, 14:22:02 pm »

Hoskins is a puzzle, as he had pace, work ethic, can dribble a bit and even finish which used to be his big weakness... but his crosses never beat the first man which makes him a waste out wide for how we play, and he's never going to win a ball in the air which makes him a waste in the centre for how we play.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 30, 2020, 14:39:37 pm »

One big positive with Hoskins is that his penalty taking is above Premier League class. The number of dismal attempts I've seen this season from Premier League performers is staggering.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #184 on: December 30, 2020, 14:44:46 pm »

Is that because you think that his contract might not be extended?

I have been wondering whether it is Holmes himself who's said he won't renew.

Think about how it would look for KC if he opted against the extension of a contract for our talisman, given our performance levels?
Yes, but I hadn't considered Holmes choosing not to extend.
My guess is he wants to play first and foremost, provided the money on offer is not derisory, so yeah if he gets another offer that matches what we pay and he thinks he'll get more football.
Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #185 on: December 30, 2020, 14:48:07 pm »

Hoskins is a puzzle, as he had pace, work ethic, can dribble a bit and even finish which used to be his big weakness... but his crosses never beat the first man which makes him a waste out wide for how we play, and he's never going to win a ball in the air which makes him a waste in the centre for how we play.

He actually does win a remarkable number of headers for a man of his size and while his crossing is inconsistent he puts in some very good ones as well as those that don't beat the first man. By the way, he's probably also the best penalty taker we've had for many years and is our best player at moving into threatening attacking spaces, as well as the other advantages you mention.

He has a lot of attributes and a couple of defects, which of course his detractors constantly cling on to. It's actually quite pathetic to see how some on here can't wait to see him do something wrong to jump on his back. He makes mistakes but often when he's created an opportunity that wouldn't have been there for another slower or less positionally aware player.

I seem to be one of the few that actually agree with KC - as things stand he'd be on my teamsheet every game, though I'll admitt Sheehan would be the first name on it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 14:50:48 pm by Madrid Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #186 on: December 30, 2020, 15:02:04 pm »

Hoskins winning headers   Grin Your having a laugh he jumps a good 2 or 3 seconds too early it’s hilarious.
I admit he is a lot better than he used to be, do you remember his shot last night that nearly went for a throw?
It’s all about opinions and mine is he can only be truly effective playing behind the front two, I also think he can fill in as a right sided wing back but only as cover when injury’s dictate.
If we brought in the correct players in Jan, Super Sam would be on the bench for me for the simple fact his abject lack of quality in the final third.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #187 on: December 30, 2020, 15:10:02 pm »

He actually does win a remarkable number of headers for a man of his size and while his crossing is inconsistent he puts in some very good ones as well as those that don't beat the first man. By the way, he's probably also the best penalty taker we've had for many years and is our best player at moving into threatening attacking spaces, as well as the other advantages you mention.

He has a lot of attributes and a couple of defects, which of course his detractors constantly cling on to. It's actually quite pathetic to see how some on here can't wait to see him do something wrong to jump on his back. He makes mistakes but often because he's created an opportunity that wouldn't have been there for another slower or less positionally aware player.

I seem to be one of the few that actually agree with KC - as things stand he'd be on my teamsheet every game, though I'll admitt Sheehan would be the first name on it.

Think most Cobblers would agree with you; so don't be misled by a few who as you say who enthusiastically promote negativity against Hoppo'.

Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Saint Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #188 on: December 30, 2020, 15:31:42 pm »

Your judgement is amiss CJ - Holmes has not played well enough imo to justify inclusion in the starting X1 let alone the bench.

Your judgement (and eyesight) is amiss IMO
Report Spam   Logged
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #189 on: December 30, 2020, 16:05:53 pm »

Good win against Mr Evans’ crew - well done KC and the entire squad.
It’s been said already, but I think we are following the same pattern as last year ...
If Goode and/or McCormack didn’t play we struggled. Replace that with Sheehan and McWilliams for this season - so far!
Holmes, Adams and Sammy will blow hot and cold but without the leadership, guts and determination of our 2 talisman we look a push over. With them, we look like we can compete at this level.
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 30, 2020, 17:20:48 pm »

Hoskins is a puzzle, as he had pace, work ethic, can dribble a bit and even finish which used to be his big weakness... but his crosses never beat the first man which makes him a waste out wide for how we play,a nd he's never going to win a ball in the air which makes him a waste in the centre for how we play.

I can remember quite a few games were his crosses certainly passed over the first man for example against Swindon, Oldham, Bradford, WBA etc . Can also remember Smudger taking corners which failed to beat the first man (rare but it did happen against Huddersfield x 2).
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 30, 2020, 17:48:51 pm »

Your judgement (and eyesight) is amiss IMO

Grin Well you know what you can do with your opinion Wink
Report Spam   Logged

west stand oap

View Profile
Level 5 Fifth year Anniversary 2500 Posts
« Reply #192 on: December 30, 2020, 19:34:13 pm »

For those that complain about Tim O if you view the Gillingham board you will see several comments saying it was a good balanced coverage of last nights game.

On a different topic has anybody wondered why our league results this season are awful on Saturday afternoons but good on Tuesday evenings?
Saturday afternoons - played 7, won 0, drawn 1, lost 6, goals 2-15, points 1 from a possible 21.
Tuesday evenings     - played 4, won 3, drawn 1, lost 0, goals 6-2, points 10 from a possible 12.
Additionally on Tuesday evenings in the Papa Johns we beat Southampton U21's easily and Stevenage on pens.
Our only Saturday afternoon victory was on 5th September against Cardiff in the Carabao cup.
We have not scored at home in the league since the first game when we drew 2-2 with AFC Wimbledon on 12th September which will be 16 weeks this Saturday. Perhaps it might help if we get the Sunderland game put back to Saturday evening.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #193 on: December 31, 2020, 13:39:49 pm »

Only the 2nd time this season in the league, where we've 'looked like a proper league1 team'. The other time of course was at Burton, and they are very poor. So I think its fair to say that the game against Gills was our best performance of the season...

Sheehan, as has been pointed out, really does make all the difference. He helps us actually play the ball to the midfielders...without him in the team, its hoof all the way. This is why i have constantly defended KC, because you've got to have the quality to go toe to toe with passing teams, otherwise you've got to find another way at getting at them. Put simply, you cant expect a back 3 consisting of Horsefall, Bolger and Racic/Joe Martin to 'Alan Hansen their way out of defence'! It was much the same last season, with McCormack dropping back and carrying the ball forward before picking out a team mate. When he didn't play, we were much more direct and often less effective.

Basically, any improvements we make in January need to be (as KC calls them), 'technicians'. OR, and in order to implement hoof ball strategy to better effect, a big upgrade on Smith. Gills aside, in recent games, we've hoofed it up to a bloke who isn't good enough to play that role for us. Or if Im being kinder, his attributes don't suit that tactic.

Either way, we've got a template in place now to go forward with. Really enjoyed the match, only criticism would be that after we somehow didn't score to make it 4-1, we noticeably dropped back. No issues doing that in the last 15 minutes, but it was more like 30 minutes. If Gills had of found a goal from somewhere, the end result could have been very different. Id say that was purely tactically given we've done it so many times (last season) before, rather than a confidence issue! 

Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #194 on: January 01, 2021, 18:50:25 pm »

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/curle-praises-ashley-seal-and-explains-smiths-absence-against-gillingham-3083143
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: