The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 16:01:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

What to do?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do?  (Read 5601 times)
Carton Lid

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« on: January 13, 2021, 12:22:56 pm »

2021 marks my 60th year of being a NTFC fan, I've been a STH for well over half of those 60 years. This is not the worst Cobblers team I've seen, BUT, it is the least entertaining team. The post administration teams of Phil Chard/John Barnwell obviously lacked good players but they all gave it 100% and did try to play football. This season I log on with a little bit of hope, wait until the team is announced to see if Sheehan is playing, if he is we have a chance, if not I might as well go back to watching Jeff Stelling, at least that's entertaining.
     But even if Sheehan is playing and we look like we might get a point or 3, the last half hour of the games are painful, you just know we will sit back and get battered, just hoping the opposition are not good enough to finish their chances and we get lucky somehow. You just sit there thinking "they are going to score in a minute" and unfortunately, they usually do.
     I don't buy this "We only have a small budget so we cant expect decent football", last weekend I watched Chorley and Marine play some decent football against better opposition then we normally face and earlier this season, Oxford City played us off the park. All three of these clubs would have a fraction of our budget. We also have the likes of Rochdale and Accrington in our division who play great football on a much smaller budget than ours.
   Which brings me on to the big question, do I renew my ST for next season? I'll be honest, the ifollow has been better than I thought it would be, apart from the odd game. Paying for a ST but only getting the same as someone who spends less on ifollow ? I can handle this as I have a decent pension and NTFC has been a really big part of my life for 60 years
      I was at the Exeter Rooms meeting, I've sponsored players and I was involved with all the meetings with NBC before KT bought the club and, if I didn't renew, I would think I have let NTFC down, because if I don't renew there will be lots of people with less commitment not renewing, and that puts the future of NTFC in jeopardy. So do I just carry on with the "blind loyalty" ? With the lockdown as it is, football should be one of the things to look forward to, but it's very difficult to look forward to any NTFC game at the moment.
      I've thought long and hard about this, but as it stands, we will get relegated playing this non football on a pitch deliberately churned up and it's killing my love of NTFC and I doubt that I'm the only one.
      I know NTFC read this forum so I would be interested to hear what KT REALLY thinks about the "entertainment" on offer because he's the one it will effect at the end of the season.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 13:08:54 pm by Carton Lid » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 13:08:00 pm »

2021 marks my 60th year of being a NTFC fan, I've been a STH for well over half of those 60 years. ..........................................etc

I know of some fans who have been supporting the club for over 70 years so 60years is no big deal. One lady who sits eating sausage rolls ln row M approx seat 180 is over 80yrs and apparently a genuine happy clapper! Love it!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 13:19:53 pm »

I know of some fans who have been supporting the club for over 70 years so 60years is no big deal. One lady who sits eating sausage rolls ln row M approx seat 180 is over 80yrs and apparently a genuine happy clapper! Love it!
Thank you very much for your constructive comment  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Athena

View Profile
Sixth year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 13:27:26 pm »

I'm literally a year behind and mark my 60th year of NTFC support in 2022 and have also been a ST holder for many, many of those years.  I probably know 'Carton Lid' by sight and who knows quite possibly him, me.  There would appear to be only two seeming differences between us, firstly that I'm not in such a good position financially as he in retirement (and good for him), and secondly that he is able to scribe a post I never could.  It sums up so well (perfectly to be honest) how I also feel and I thank him for writing it in a style and manner which I could never have hoped to attain. I also have to decide on ST renewal but I'm afraid for me it becomes an easy decision.  I simply cannot justify spending out on something which gives me less and less enjoyment at a time when money is becoming tight for me. The post is spot on in so many respects and I too worry about the future of the club having witnessed so much of a slide into decline over the last few years.  The MK game last night was pretty much the final straw for me, and although I can accept defeat to better teams, the performance was totally unacceptable. The last game I attended back in March or whenever I had a young lad and his mum sit in front of me.  She had taken him as an 8th birthday treat (exactly as I had been all those years ago), he was decked out with his hat and scarf and he cheered the whole game, although we were poor and lost I seem to recall.  I could not help sitting behind him making a silent prayer that his first visit would be the start of a lifelong passion for him, although I could not also help wondering if he would still have a club to support in 60 years time.  I will leave you to decide what I concluded.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 13:34:34 pm »

Thank you very much for your constructive comment  Roll Eyes

No problem Evil ; try some M&S sausage rolls Roll Eyes Thought that last night apart from McW we lacked quality all over the pitch. Don/t mind that but against MK - yak.
Report Spam   Logged

Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 13:36:00 pm »

Two (2) very good posts here!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 14:00:14 pm »

I'm literally a year behind and mark my 60th year of NTFC support in 2022 and have also been a ST holder for many, many of those years. , ..................................................................although I could not also help wondering if he would still have a club to support in 60 years time.  I will leave you to decide what I concluded.

If you two Guys have been watching the Cobblers for over 60 years you must have seen some terrible displays - even numbing ones?  You cant have your cake and eat it as what about the good days like that 31 undefeated run.  Reckon that you Guy's have been Mummy's pet for too long Grin Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 14:00:51 pm »

2021 marks my 60th year of being a NTFC fan, I've been a STH for well over half of those 60 years. This is not the worst Cobblers team I've seen, BUT, it is the least entertaining team. The post administration teams of Phil Chard/John Barnwell obviously lacked good players but they all gave it 100% and did try to play football. This season I log on with a little bit of hope, wait until the team is announced to see if Sheehan is playing, if he is we have a chance, if not I might as well go back to watching Jeff Stelling, at least that's entertaining.
     But even if Sheehan is playing and we look like we might get a point or 3, the last half hour of the games are painful, you just know we will sit back and get battered, just hoping the opposition are not good enough to finish their chances and we get lucky somehow. You just sit there thinking "they are going to score in a minute" and unfortunately, they usually do.
     I don't buy this "We only have a small budget so we cant expect decent football", last weekend I watched Chorley and Marine play some decent football against better opposition then we normally face and earlier this season, Oxford City played us off the park. All three of these clubs would have a fraction of our budget. We also have the likes of Rochdale and Accrington in our division who play great football on a much smaller budget than ours.
   Which brings me on to the big question, do I renew my ST for next season? I'll be honest, the ifollow has been better than I thought it would be, apart from the odd game. Paying for a ST but only getting the same as someone who spends less on ifollow ? I can handle this as I have a decent pension and NTFC has been a really big part of my life for 60 years
      I was at the Exeter Rooms meeting, I've sponsored players and I was involved with all the meetings with NBC before KT bought the club and, if I didn't renew, I would think I have let NTFC down, because if I don't renew there will be lots of people with less commitment not renewing, and that puts the future of NTFC in jeopardy. So do I just carry on with the "blind loyalty" ? With the lockdown as it is, football should be one of the things to look forward to, but it's very difficult to look forward to any NTFC game at the moment.
      I've thought long and hard about this, but as it stands, we will get relegated playing this non football on a pitch deliberately churned up and it's killing my love of NTFC and I doubt that I'm the only one.
      I know NTFC read this forum so I would be interested to hear what KT REALLY thinks about the "entertainment" on offer because he's the one it will effect at the end of the season.
Seriously one of the best posts I have read on this forum, if this doesn’t focus KT’s mind as to the product he is serving up as “entertainment “ then nothing will.
I have been a season ticket holder for longer than I care to remember, back to the days when you used to get a book of what looked like raffle tickets that were your season ticket.
This brand of anti football is truly depressing, it actually stresses me out so I’ve decided that if the product on offer doesn’t improve I will spend my money elsewhere, if I’m honest the problems are far reaching from the accumulated debt to the state of the ground infrastructure and before anyone thinks COVID-19 it was like this over a year ago.
So in answer to your question there’s not a chance I would pay to watch Curles brand of football in a dilapidated run down half built stadium.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest3086

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 14:21:52 pm »

I suppose we all live in hope so when a new manager starts we become optimistic, I am waiting for the new man cos I gave up on Curle a long while ago. Unfortunately, off the field it is also a disaster at the moment but KT will be gone soon too so you can only hope things will improve.
Report Spam   Logged
1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 14:54:34 pm »

Everbrite, you are a complete !!! Someone takes time to post a detailed overview of how they are feeling about the dross being badged as football and all you can do is make snide remarks! This individual sums up pretty much how I feel and it’s exactly the comparison of 31 indeafeated which makes the current fare unacceptable! There will be a large number of supporters making the same decision at the end of this season if we have been relegated and Curle remains in post then I can see a big reduction in renewals. If we stay up he deserves another season, I don’t see him going anywhere soon but he needs to realise the level of despair and embarrassment his footballing ethos is helping on the supporters and the club
Report Spam   Logged
spqr

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 15:09:01 pm »

My first game was in about 1960 when the Cobblers beat Oldham 8-0 and I thought that if football is like this, then it is worth watching.  As the team moved up the divisions my view at games was obstructed by the crowds and I gave up.  I seem to remember watching a game against perhaps Crystal Palace.  The Cobblers got a penalty awarded and I did not see it being taken.  I had to ask somebody what happened.  After that I gave up going.  I would stand in the garden, which was about a mile away, and could hear the groans and cheers.    

Coincidentally I returned to watch the Cobblers when they played Brighton in the league cup and beat them 8-0.  I missed the season in division 1 because I had a part-time job on Saturdays and in the evenings.

As the Cobblers slipped down the divisions there was space again in the Hotel End.  I could see the games and players again.  You could see their faults and their strengths.  

For a short time Dave Bowen looked as though he would get the Cobblers promoted.  Then things hit rock bottom until Bill Dodgin arrived.  Around that time I got a season ticket for a couple of years.   Because of work, I could sit in the stands to watch the reserve games.  Johnny Petts played in one game and tried to jump over the rope on the cricket side to retrieve the ball.  His trailing leg caught the rope and he fell flat on his face.  Getting up, Petts looked at the rope and tried again with the same result.  Most of the first team were in the stands watching and were in hysterics.  I do not remember which game it was, only that Johnny Petts tripped over the rope and the Cobblers' players could not believe what they had just seen.

Dodgin's team was good but then Crerand took over.  Normal service was resumed.  We then got Graham Carr and that was exciting football.  I had moved away from Northamptonshire, but went to home games and away games that were near to me.  

We had the Atkins period again after hitting rock bottom.  

The rest is a bit of a blur now.  Exactly who was in which team etc  and when the Cobblers got promoted, but who cares?

I did not see the First Division season but I saw Johnny Petts trip over the rope on the cricket side.  John Buchanan was outside one of the northern clubs looking at the crowd and muttered that we could do with a few more.  At the old Wigan stadium a Wigan player kicked the ball away with such venom and it hit a Cobblers' player.  I was on the terraces and the Wigan player shouted to me "I think he stopped that!"  

Coming up to date and the Cobblers were struggling again when Ady Boothroyd took over.  Matt Duke dryly said "You need a bit a of tension.  That's what makes the world go round."

I do not expect miracles from the Cobblers.  I know that they will struggle for at least this season.  Covid has not helped.  However, if I lived locally, I would not think about getting a season ticket now.  If the Cobblers were playing away, I would probably watch a non league team like Brackley.  You see players who are good and they can take a bump without needing a lot of treatment.  Che Adams was the last stand out player that I saw when he was at Ilkeston.  

Matt Duke summed it up, you need a bit of tension!
Report Spam   Logged
guest3419

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 15:14:58 pm »

+1

KC is not to blame for the lack of entertainment. He was employed to knock the team into shape with a short-term goal of promotion. Well done KC for the achievement.

KT is responsible for the long-term goals (when will we see another goal!!). He knew KC plays direct football. He allowed him to train on and ruin the pitch. He allowed him to narrow the pitch.. He allows the appauling football to be served up to supporters!

One question Mr Thomas; Would you pay out your hard earned cash for another season of this dire 'entertainment'?
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 15:16:26 pm »

Two (2) very good posts here!

Precisely.....

If posts like that from two very committed supporters don't ring alarm bells then there is something wrong somewhere. Also if some posters see theses as merely "anti-club rants" then there is something wrong there too.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
guest3419

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 15:16:57 pm »

Everbrite, you are a complete !!! Someone takes time to post a detailed overview of how they are feeling about the dross being badged as football and all you can do is make snide remarks! This individual sums up pretty much how I feel and it’s exactly the comparison of 31 indeafeated which makes the current fare unacceptable! There will be a large number of supporters making the same decision at the end of this season if we have been relegated and Curle remains in post then I can see a big reduction in renewals. If we stay up he deserves another season, I don’t see him going anywhere soon but he needs to realise the level of despair and embarrassment his footballing ethos is helping on the supporters and the club

+1
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 15:25:24 pm »

Everbrite, you are a complete !!! ....................................

Cant help but agree but feel the same about some of your comments Shocked  You only appear to make a depressing personal comment when we lose which unfortunately is all too common at the moment Roll Eyes Chin up man and face misfortune with gusto. Hope this finds you well
Report Spam   Logged

Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2021, 15:41:06 pm »

I don't normally take this line. But if that is the best you can respond to a genuine heartfelt post, there's something not right with you. And you are heading straight for the door if you carry on.

In response to your post Roger. I have said quite a few times now, that whilst COVID will, and has undoubtedly had a negative impact on club finances, the aftermath will be the acid test. The greatest danger is the amount of supporters that have paid for, but haven't seen football, and who have not missed it as much as they thought they would. Now... I'm not one of them, but I do genuinely know a few who I consider as serious about jacking it all in. All of them citing the very same reason as you Roger. You are far from alone in your perspective.

So, how is this to be addressed? In my opinion, as a long standing supporter as well, I can only say that I do not expect prem style football, or a win every week. I am as realistic as you are. I always stand by the adage. "We can forgive you losing, but we can't forgive you for not trying". Unfortunately, whether or not they are trying, they certainly don't come across as so. In the field of entertainment, you're are bolloxed if that's the case. I know funds are tight and I know it is a difficult time to invest significantly, but we are genuinely at a crossroads in terms of a lot of the supports thoughts going forward. Now, more than anytime in past, there has to be something that symbolises the clubs understanding of the supports current lack of morale and the detached feeling a lot of them have towards the club, and football in general. This is not about being fickle, it is about maintaining a club in order to entice supporters and sustainable revenue back for the future.

Report Spam   Logged
tcobb

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2021, 15:53:11 pm »

Excellent post by Carton Lid, can fully understand what he is thinking and why. Ive not had a season ticket for the past 3 seasons, before that i had season tickets alot of the time, going back to my first ever at the County Ground. I dont watch the games on ifollow as its just not the same.
 But saying all that, after watching the Cobblers for 51 years. i (covid permitting) will become a season ticket holder again next season. Why ? Because i miss the whole day that football gives, yes the football under Curle is dire, boring and downright awful, the Stadium is becoming a bit tired around the edges, yes the East Stand is still along way from becoming the first Stand the Cobblers have built for over 50 years. But its the day itself i miss, all the praising when it goes right, the moaning when it goes wrong, the train/car journey to away games, the drinks in the pub before and after the game, the piss take from your mates, the joy of a promotion season, the pain of a relegation season. Covid has shown me how much ive missed all these, in fact took it for granted that it would always be there. So yes i will be getting a season ticket again, and to be fair i cant wait.
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2021, 16:00:56 pm »

Again Everbrite your post is inaccurate I complimented the Team on the 2 previous performances as there was something to applaud. I know of numerous fans who have not renewed STs since CW went and more are likely to follow, if you wish to bury your head then do be it, maybe consider changing your name to ‘Large South African flightless bird’
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2021, 16:02:48 pm »

Excellent post by Carton Lid, can fully understand what he is thinking and why. Ive not had a season ticket for the past 3 seasons, before that i had season tickets alot of the time, going back to my first ever at the County Ground. I dont watch the games on ifollow as its just not the same.
 But saying all that, after watching the Cobblers for 51 years. i (covid permitting) will become a season ticket holder again next season. Why ? Because i miss the whole day that football gives, yes the football under Curle is dire, boring and downright awful, the Stadium is becoming a bit tired around the edges, yes the East Stand is still along way from becoming the first Stand the Cobblers have built for over 50 years. But its the day itself i miss, all the praising when it goes right, the moaning when it goes wrong, the train/car journey to away games, the drinks in the pub before and after the game, the **** take from your mates, the joy of a promotion season, the pain of a relegation season. Covid has shown me how much ive missed all these, in fact took it for granted that it would always be there. So yes i will be getting a season ticket again, and to be fair i cant wait.

I enjoyed that summary - the away games in particularly are generally an enjoyable experience.
Report Spam   Logged

guest3063

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2021, 16:07:08 pm »

Very good post.

I'm only in to my 43rd year, a vast majority of those as a season ticket holder. I remember the old raffle style season tickets that Manwork has also mentioned.

I'm starting to feel very similar to you. Do I renew next season or not. The football is dire to watch, most of the time we're not even getting results to make it bearable. The pitch is an embarrassment and watching on I follow in the warmth of my own home with creature comforts readily available, well it's a no brainer, isn't it?

The bad news for the club in my case is that it's not just my ticket, it's also my two sons - supporters of the future that the club needs. One of my son's can't even bring himself to watch it on I follow any more. It's all very sad I'm afraid.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: