The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 09:19:37 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

What to do?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do?  (Read 5578 times)
guest3338

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2021, 16:10:37 pm »

Very good post.

I'm only in to my 43rd year, a vast majority of those as a season ticket holder. I remember the old raffle style season tickets that Manwork has also mentioned.

I'm starting to feel very similar to you. Do I renew next season or not. The football is dire to watch, most of the time we're not even getting results to make it bearable. The pitch is an embarrassment and watching on I follow in the warmth of my own home with creature comforts readily available, well it's a no brainer, isn't it?

The bad news for the club in my case is that it's not just my ticket, it's also my two sons - supporters of the future that the club needs. One of my son's can't even bring himself to watch it on I follow any more. It's all very sad I'm afraid.
I'm not sure that we will have Ifollow as an option if the vaccines work will we?
Report Spam   Logged
Knockingonabit

View Profile
Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Combination
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2021, 16:10:53 pm »

Nearer 70 years since my first visit to The County Ground. Don't know how long I have been visiting this site but Cartons post is one of the best I have ever read on here.
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2021, 16:11:19 pm »

I don't normally take this line. But if that is the best you can respond to a genuine heartfelt post, there's something not right with you. And you are heading straight for the door if you carry on.

In response to your post Roger. I have said quite a few times now, that whilst COVID will, and has undoubtedly had a negative impact on club finances, the aftermath will be the acid test. The greatest danger is the amount of supporters that have paid for, but haven't seen football, and who have not missed it as much as they thought they would. Now... I'm not one of them, but I do genuinely know a few who I consider as serious about jacking it all in. All of them citing the very same reason as you Roger. You are far from alone in your perspective.

So, how is this to be addressed? In my opinion, as a long standing supporter as well, I can only say that I do not expect prem style football, or a win every week. I am as realistic as you are. I always stand by the adage. "We can forgive you losing, but we can't forgive you for not trying". Unfortunately, whether or not they are trying, they certainly don't come across as so. In the field of entertainment, you're are bolloxed if that's the case. I know funds are tight and I know it is a difficult time to invest significantly, but we are genuinely at a crossroads in terms of a lot of the supports thoughts going forward. Now, more than anytime in past, there has to be something that symbolises the clubs understanding of the supports current lack of morale and the detached feeling a lot of them have towards the club, and football in general. This is not about being fickle, it is about maintaining a club in order to entice supporters and sustainable revenue back for the future.

+1
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2021, 16:17:59 pm »

I'm not sure that we will have Ifollow as an option if the vaccines work will we?

True, but at a tenner a game it works out a lot cheaper than buying a season ticket.
Report Spam   Logged
Saint Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2021, 16:19:05 pm »

Nearer 70 years since my first visit to The County Ground. Don't know how long I have been visiting this site but Cartons post is one of the best I have ever read on here.
I've been a supporter since we beat Arsenal 3-1 in the FA Cup and I lived within 2 minutes walk of the County Ground. I agree, Carton Lid's post must sum up the feelings of so many supporters and one has to worry about the future level of support for the Cobblers until something changes.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2021, 16:24:16 pm »

Again Everbrite your post is inaccurate I complimented the Team on the 2 previous performances as there was something to applaud. I know of numerous fans who have not renewed STs since CW went and more are likely to follow, if you wish to bury your head then do be it, maybe consider changing your name to ‘Large South African flightless bird’

My opinion is not always the same as yours Roll Eyes. Regarding the numerous fans who have not renewed since CW left; would argue how many did we gain after last seasons promotion? I would argue that if we survive this season in this division or more importantly as a going Club we may lose a few or even gain some. This board does not always generally go with the broad swell of local supporter opinion at least that is the impression from  talking to some sections of support. The other thing to remember that after each depressing result allied with the current pandemic seems to affect most of us. Still chin up and hope for the best!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2021, 16:25:01 pm »

Excellent post by Carton Lid, can fully understand what he is thinking and why. Ive not had a season ticket for the past 3 seasons, before that i had season tickets alot of the time, going back to my first ever at the County Ground. I dont watch the games on ifollow as its just not the same.
 But saying all that, after watching the Cobblers for 51 years. i (covid permitting) will become a season ticket holder again next season. Why ? Because i miss the whole day that football gives, yes the football under Curle is dire, boring and downright awful, the Stadium is becoming a bit tired around the edges, yes the East Stand is still along way from becoming the first Stand the Cobblers have built for over 50 years. But its the day itself i miss, all the praising when it goes right, the moaning when it goes wrong, the train/car journey to away games, the drinks in the pub before and after the game, the **** take from your mates, the joy of a promotion season, the pain of a relegation season. Covid has shown me how much ive missed all these, in fact took it for granted that it would always be there. So yes i will be getting a season ticket again, and to be fair i cant wait.

This virtually mirrors my position. For all it's flaws, I love it. I'll be getting a ticket. I should imagine that most at NTFC are as fed up as us.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2021, 16:26:16 pm »

True, but at a tenner a game it works out a lot cheaper than buying a season ticket.
And I've jumped on board the Ifollow ship after missing the first few this season, but last night was particularly depressing to watch and my feed was s***e all night.
I am now wondering if just listening to Tim on radio and then the lowlghts as part of the division review on Quest isnt the way forward.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2021, 16:46:27 pm »

Great post by the threads originator...

I probably am fairly unique with my thoughts but certainly in line with all of my mates who are regulars. In that this season, due to COVID, is psychologically a 'write off'. Basically...stay in league1 at all costs, whether that includes making the pitcher less wide, churning the grass up, horrible anti football...whatever, I don't care. Why? Because I don't believe that the players we have are in any way shape or form good enough for this division in a football sense. Rochdale/Accrington already had 'league1 players' - we lost all of our good players and replaced them with cheaper options. After promotion.

I will say though. Last night presented us with an opportunity to try and play some football. Mix things up. However, as soon as I saw the team sheet (without Sheehan) I knew what was to come. Still paid my tenner for a game Id never have even bothered listening to before COVID, simply because (and Ill admit it) I've got fcuk all better to do at the minute!  Grin

I expect KC to try and evolve us. (style). To be fair, when Sheehan plays we do 'mix it'. Gillingham was at times, fun to watch. Sunderland was a trepid affair but they have players on 10times more £ than us...Id take the point, even normally! This window gives him the chance, hopefully, to bring in some 'footballers' or 'technicians' as he calls them. We shall see on that, but I suspect £ will be the key factor. Goes without saying.

If KC does keep us up, his remit next season will be simple. Change the style Keith. BUT I think thats a given. And the plan. So Im cool with it. If we do stay up, and we start next season playing like this season; 10 games in he will be gone, if the results match the 'entertainment' (lack of). We we go down, I suspect that we will be looking for a new manager. Purely on the basis that people wont renew in the numbers needed to make next season financially more comfortable. KT/DB will know that, Im certain.

In a nutshell....my 'stance'!
Report Spam   Logged
guest3419

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2021, 17:37:51 pm »

Everbrite; have you heard of the expression' less is more'?

Why you think people read your continous pontificating on any and every subject is strange. I suggest you draw breath and stop at 15,400 posts for a while and give EVERYBODY a break!
Report Spam   Logged
Clarity

View Profile
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2021, 17:42:20 pm »

When and if it goes back to normal you won’t be able to watch home games on iFollow. They didn’t before and won’t in the future, many wouldn’t buy season tickets
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2021, 18:32:29 pm »

Several phenomenal posts in this thread. Best contributions to the forum in a very long time. I totally share the views.

The reason I renewed this year and the year before was because I love a football day. It’s a chance to totally switch off from the real world for the day with a great group of mates, and many others who all share the one common interest. Supporting NTFC.

The problem is that that interest is going and that’s because of the lack of ambition from the powers that be, the woeful football, the treatment of the pitch which not that long ago was winning awards year after year, no interest in finishing the East Stand etc etc.

Will I renew, never been less sure that I will.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2021, 18:40:49 pm »

Dan, I totally concur with that viewpoint.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2021, 19:12:56 pm »

When and if it goes back to normal you won’t be able to watch home games on iFollow. They didn’t before and won’t in the future, many wouldn’t buy season tickets

You're absolutely right of course  Embarrassed sorry having a bit of a moment. What a choice then, Tim on the radio or Keith with his style of football  Angry 
Report Spam   Logged
Grove

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2021, 19:26:06 pm »

I renewed, despite the fact that i miss half the games due to work commitments.I also renewed hoping upon hope that the club would match my ambitions  with evolving football and league 1 players, alas neither happened. The i follow coverage is poor , due to restictions on what device you can watch it on, and the woeful commentary. So value for money is well short of the mark, not least that we've already paid for the commentary via our TV licence .
The club is not a charity, if any fans were short of cash im sure the club wouldn't stump up some cash for nothing.
in typical Thomas style he announces a 3 million defecit prior to the transfer window, so we know where we stand (despite other clubs signing players, with the same financial issues)
I shant renew.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2021, 19:28:55 pm »

If KC does keep us up, his remit next season will be simple. Change the style Keith. BUT I think thats a given. And the plan. 

Has Kelvin said this ?
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2021, 19:43:56 pm »

Has Kelvin said this ?

I doubt it.....but then I doubt that he said that the remit for this season was just purely to stay up by any method possible........ he was quite bullish pre-season, with his talk of competitive budgets, lauding Wycombe Wanderers as an example as if to say "why not us".....I doubt anyone interpreted anything he said as "i'd be happy with 20th position"
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
OCoole

View Profile
Windows User Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2021, 20:27:14 pm »

If you two Guys have been watching the Cobblers for over 60 years you must have seen some terrible displays - even numbing ones?  You cant have your cake and eat it as what about the good days like that 31 undefeated run.  Reckon that you Guy's have been Mummy's pet for too long Grin Cool

The sooner the moderators of this board remove you the better. I am deterred (and I'm sure others feel the same) from posting on here when whatever post is inevitably met from a snarky, unsolicited response from you. If you are looking for arguments to satiate your abrasive tendencies then could I suggest you use the many more unpleasant sites on the internet, and allow this site to be about a good natured discussion about the Cobblers please?
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2021, 21:26:48 pm »

Everbrite; have you heard of the expression' less is more'?

Why you think people read your continous pontificating on any and every subject is strange. I suggest you draw breath and stop at 15,400 posts for a while and give EVERYBODY a break!

Must admit your style is faintly familiar!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2021, 22:05:42 pm »

As someone who grew up in a family of egg chasers I came late to the Cobblers, I had only seen the odd game before becoming a regular follower in 1976. I then had a decade of mediocrity but savoured every victory of my division four favourites, I accepted that this was my lot in the world of football.
                                                                                                                                                                                                         Then, along came Graham Carr! What was this? Direct attacking football, goals galore and a feature on Saint and Greavsie! Who else remembers singing 'we're gunna score in a minute' before the kickoff! This is still the Cobblers right?
After dropping back into the mire we had the Atkins great over achievers, three seasons near the top of the league with CC, a false alarm with Boothroyd and lived the dream with Wilder and Knill.

Mixed in with the good times was plenty of dross but at least we always seemed to have heroes, that's what this current team lacks, there are no heroes! We all have our own favourites, I loved Benji but Morley and Hill ran him close. When Bayo came on and scored at Swindon we knew another hero had arrived, there was Smudger's footballing genius, we'll never forget Abdul at Anfield and of course Rico, JJOT and Ricky warmed our cockles. I'll even add the now much derided Steve Phillips who scored the first Cobblers goal I saw live (1-1 against PNE I think) as I watched from the duckboards in the mid seventies.

Where are our heroes now? Has Covid taken away the link we used to feel with our boys? Or are they just not good enough? I agree we are not good to watch and so people may question what they spend their money on. In my time we have rarely been pretty to watch and usually playing in division 4 but unless Elon Musk suddenly discovers family links to Duston that is our lot.

Things are pretty grim at the moment but I will renew my season ticket again and hope for better days when we can crowd into the grounds again and hug each other in celebration for moments of joy provide by a new set of heroes.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: