The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 23:08:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Wigan at home Tuesday 9th February 2021 REARRANGED

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wigan at home Tuesday 9th February 2021 REARRANGED  (Read 14001 times)
guest2995

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #260 on: February 09, 2021, 20:24:07 pm »

what utter tripe is the fool going to come out with tonight ?
At what point will he just admit he hasn’t the first idea and everything he has tried has failed .....
Leave the stadium , go back up North and dont come back
Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #261 on: February 09, 2021, 20:25:50 pm »

I dunno about losing league status, there's always one financial basket-case in League two and only two relegation spots, so you're always scrapping over one singular exit point. We will certainly go down this year though.

Who do you want? Brady? Sammo? Austin (not sure why his name is there, but it's coming up in twitter for some reason)? External appointment like Cowleys, Wilkin? Someone who wants to play football, someone who is going to hoof it to try and stay in the division? What's everyone's main priorities.

Last time we sacked a useless hoofball merchant as we exited League 1, we ended up with Austin? Would being relegated, but having a go and playing some football be enough at this point in time?
Report Spam   Logged
1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #262 on: February 09, 2021, 20:26:08 pm »

And take his fffng jigsaw puzzle with him. West can p!!! Off too.
Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 09, 2021, 20:27:33 pm »

Also, might equally be satisfied with someone who doesn't want to play a hopeless, joyless and ineffecient 5 at the back.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #264 on: February 09, 2021, 20:30:47 pm »

Paul Cook was doing a good job with Wigan last season, they only went down with the points deduction......only 2 defeats in 18 games before his departure......
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
Clarity

View Profile
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #265 on: February 09, 2021, 20:35:30 pm »

Paul Cook was doing a good job with Wigan last season, they only went down with the points deduction......only 2 defeats in 18 games before his departure......
He turned the Cardiff job down, wanted a longer contract. Would be a great appointment but it ain’t happening
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 09, 2021, 20:42:10 pm »

He turned the Cardiff job down, wanted a longer contract. Would be a great appointment but it ain’t happening

Wasn't aware of that...ho hum..... just looking at "The Sack Race".....there aren't many names out there!!

AFC Wimbledon, Wigan, Port Vale all looking for a new manager too.....
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #267 on: February 09, 2021, 20:58:53 pm »

Wasn't aware of that...ho hum..... just looking at "The Sack Race".....there aren't many names out there!!

AFC Wimbledon, Wigan, Port Vale all looking for a new manager too.....
They can have Curle.........
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Welly Cobb

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 09, 2021, 21:03:29 pm »

A League Two will see that promotion from Curle last year and take a risk on him at some stage I'd have thought. Don't think a League one team will touch him with a bargepole.
Report Spam   Logged
1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #269 on: February 09, 2021, 21:10:17 pm »

Our Team and Tactics are treated with derision by every team we play. I would be surprised if Curle gets another job
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #270 on: February 09, 2021, 21:44:30 pm »

Heard the interview, an honest appraisal of the obvious? Unfortunately the biggest responsibility for Mr Curle is to carry out an honest appraisal of himself? As I was saying last night he has been dealt a few terrible cards. Coaches emphasise the importance of the spine of the team. Our successful side of last season lost Goode, Wharton, Turnbull, McCormack, Oliver and Morton. Given McCormacks fitness had probably gone arguably the only one that was avoidable was Turnbull? Couple that with a significantly reduced budget as a result of Covid and an expectation that we were to mount a challenge in this division is an unrealistic expectation you can have? This season was always going to be a relegation fight in those circumstances and if you couple that with some significant injuries Keith Curles job was an immense challenge? However, tactically we have been found wanting far too often? Team selections, the way we are set up and the tactical changes made and substitutions have been repeatedly flawed. This has meant far too many performances that are under par even given the aforementioned circumstances? The constant tinkering and refusal to consistently adopt a change in formation simply results in 1 step forward 2 steps back. As I said Keith has been dealt some terrible cards. Just don’t compound that by playing a worse hand than you actually have, or worse fail to recognise what that is in the first place. Unfortunately Mr Curle has convinced me that he is struggling to have an honest evaluation of his own shortcomings and is consistently failing to have an alternative solution if things don’t go according to plan? Despite the misfortune that’s not good enough?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 21:51:02 pm by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #271 on: February 09, 2021, 22:11:13 pm »

Hard not to think that Holmes would be a better option than Rose, Hoskins or Edmondson.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #272 on: February 09, 2021, 22:22:07 pm »

As long as Curle is in charge we are fcked.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #273 on: February 09, 2021, 22:25:50 pm »

I for one am glad to see both Morris and Watson. Both better footballers than what they've replaced.

Another awful KC substitution that made us worse.
Report Spam   Logged
OCoole

View Profile
Windows User Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #274 on: February 09, 2021, 22:44:31 pm »

I dunno about losing league status, there's always one financial basket-case in League two and only two relegation spots, so you're always scrapping over one singular exit point. We will certainly go down this year though.

Who do you want? Brady? Sammo? Austin (not sure why his name is there, but it's coming up in twitter for some reason)? External appointment like Cowleys, Wilkin? Someone who wants to play football, someone who is going to hoof it to try and stay in the division? What's everyone's main priorities.

Last time we sacked a useless hoofball merchant as we exited League 1, we ended up with Austin? Would being relegated, but having a go and playing some football be enough at this point in time?

The Cowleys would be great, but I'd imagine they are holding out for a more attractive proposition / higher pay bracket than us given their stock is still high.

I wouldn't be at all averse to seeking out a well respected coach (not manager) who hasn't been on the managerial merry-go-round for however many years and could bring exiting football. Look at Steve Cooper at Swansea, Neil Critchley at Blackpool or Chris Beech at Carlisle for good examples.

That said, I would go all out trying to prise Michael Flynn away from Newport County. An excellent young manager with 3 or 4 years in the job now at Newport and he's done a brilliant job. They're looking like they could go up this year but could we offer him more money? He'd be the one I'd go for.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #275 on: February 09, 2021, 23:31:48 pm »

Another awful KC substitution that made us worse.
You think the second half was markedly worse than the first?
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 10, 2021, 00:10:58 am »

You think the second half was markedly worse than the first?

Seems that commentators did think that yes....it was mentioned in the Chronicle report and also the BBC report on the game.

BBC: "Goalless at the break, the second half was a desperately poor affair and a draw seemed inevitable with both teams struggling to create anything."

Chron: "Curle made his feelings known at half-time by making a double substitution as Ryan Watson and Bryn Morris replaced Jack Sowerby and Shaun McWilliams. But that did not lead to an improvement in the second period when, if anything, the standard slipped yet further as both teams struggled badly"
Report Spam   Logged

Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #277 on: February 10, 2021, 00:45:35 am »

Seems that commentators did think that yes....it was mentioned in the Chronicle report and also the BBC report on the game.

BBC: "Goalless at the break, the second half was a desperately poor affair and a draw seemed inevitable with both teams struggling to create anything."

Chron: "Curle made his feelings known at half-time by making a double substitution as Ryan Watson and Bryn Morris replaced Jack Sowerby and Shaun McWilliams. But that did not lead to an improvement in the second period when, if anything, the standard slipped yet further as both teams struggled badly"
Not sure of the reasons behind removing McWilliams, assume tactical? Given the criticism regarding recently leaving him out, the reaction KC received as a result and the apparent refusal to acknowledge mistakes by changing approach, my default assumption is simply that he wanted to prove everyone wrong? I.E was it made in the hope that as we were playing poorly, if McWilliams was withdrawn and we went on to win the game his decision to leave him out previously was fully vindicated? That is perhaps unfair, but the fact that is what I now suspect is an indication of how my opinion of Keith Curle is in currently in free fall. Either way Im in agreement, a decision was made to remove our most consistent player that resulted in us performing even worse and we went on to lose the game as a result? Keith Curle maybe justified in criticising the players but if he thinks that process doesn’t include looking in the mirror I feel it’s probably only a matter of 1 or 2 games before his time is up irrespective of supporters opinion?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 03:25:57 am by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #278 on: February 10, 2021, 08:35:50 am »

Right, having slept on what happened last night, here's my thoughts. Naming an unchanged team, after a reasonable performance, is a good start, but what was obvious to everyone after 10 minutes was that our 2 in midfield were being over run by Wigan's 4. This was even picked up by Tim O and the Kettering Youth team manager so Curle waits until half of a vital match has gone before he acts. When Tim O says "Morris is coming on" most of us thought great we are going to match up the midfield numbers, but no, he just does a like for like swap sticking with the reason we can't get in the game.
   This was followed by a series of substitutions which includes Korboa replacing Hoskins in attack and Hoskins moving to replacing Mills at left wingback ? So does KC think that Hoskins is a better wingback than Mills? With every sub we lost more of our shape, I noticed when Chuck came on he had a confused look whilst trying to explain positions to other players.
   I don't really buy the "These players aren't good enough" line, they have proved in a few matches that if they play in a system that suits them, they can play, but to play hoofball without a target man, its not going to work is it? Added to the fact that our set pieces are SO predictable and, most of the time, poorly delivered, it's not surprising that we struggle for goals. I find it hard to believe that we don't have at least a couple of players that can take a decent corner, lots of local footballers can take great corners and free kicks, and they don't have half the ability of our players.
    It's time for Kelvin to make a decision, I don't think there is any doubt that we are going down, so does he stick with KC ? If he does, the ST sales will drop drastically, or does he pull the trigger and give someone else a chance? I see lots of people saying "Who can we get who's any better?" my answer is, I think it would be difficult to do any worse, dire football, no goals and losing !

Report Spam   Logged
guest3359

« Reply #279 on: February 10, 2021, 08:51:34 am »

The pitch isnt helping but they all looked clueless, and that's not a slight on the players, its on the manager. The only time they passed it was to someone in a better position to hoof it forward. You can see when they get the ball they dont know what to do with it. Some players are static, some are running but the pass is going to where they were. Utter shambles.
New man with new (any) ideas is needed.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: