The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 17:11:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The Gary Johnson Play-Off 2010/11 Season Thread

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Gary Johnson Play-Off 2010/11 Season Thread  (Read 2082 times)
Air-Dan

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« on: March 04, 2011, 21:19:34 pm »

Yes. I'm going to bring it back up!

Gary Johnson says we need 11 wins from the last 13 matches to get into the play-offs... is this at all possible?

Wink
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 21:24:30 pm by Air-Dan » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

NTFC Nut

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 21:20:46 pm »

This should be a short thread. Wink

No it isn't. Now-May is about transition, it's about Johnson deciding who to keep and who to ship out.

Next season is the biggie.
Report Spam   Logged

Air-Dan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 21:26:05 pm »

I figured that was the kind of response I'd get. Tongue Just thought I'd start the thread anyway so I can say that I knew it was going to happen if it does. Wink

In my eyes, however, all of our games (perhaps bar Chesterfield away) are easily winnable. So I personally wouldn't rule it our entirely.

Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 21:29:39 pm »

Nothing wrong with being positive, fella. But don't be unrealistic. Expecting Johnson to turn us into title-winners overnight (because 11 wins from 13 is definitely title winning form) is not fair on him and puts a huge weight of pressure and expectation on his shoulders from the word go. Let's leave the man to it and give him time to work his magic. For once, it is indisputable that our new appointment can do it, and there's no reason why he shouldn't be able to. But Rome wasn't built in a day, if you'll pardon the cliche.
Report Spam   Logged

nn2cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 21:40:53 pm »

He said probably need to win 10 out of 13 on the interview on bbc website http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/northampton_town/9414662.stm he also admitted it would be a big ask since we havent won 10 yet all season!!

But you never know, it's a funny old game, certainly would be a remarkable achievement if we finished in the play offs this season from our current league position.

Report Spam   Logged
Exe

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 21:46:26 pm »

Between now and the rest of the season all we can hope for is that Johnson gets the team playing better and does enough to convince those players we want to stay that it's worth doing so
Report Spam   Logged
Bog Paper

Lavatory Paper Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 22:25:17 pm »

The bigger question is whether the players we think we want to stay are actually worth keeping. It will be refreshing that the squad will be viewed through new eyes. Expect some surprises.
Report Spam   Logged

It has to be "B"
Another big smile on my face. I always get the big decisions right.

Couldn't be happier, you can all blame me if it turns pear shaped. Up next year without a doubt and no need of the play-offs.
Marvo

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 04:21:38 am »

Only thing about those stats is that with every win the job gets a lot easier.  Smiley

It would have to be one of the gretaest finishes to a season EVER!
Report Spam   Logged
WFCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 06:55:52 am »

Only thing about those stats is that with every win the job gets a lot easier.  Smiley

It would have to be one of the gretaest finishes to a season EVER!

AGREED !!

Marvo, out of interest what's his record AGAINST Cobblers? Presume it's only Yeovil results?
Report Spam   Logged
Marvo

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 07:15:18 am »

Marvo, out of interest what's his record AGAINST Cobblers? Presume it's only Yeovil results?

Well you presume wrongly.

PL 7 - W3 - D2 - L2 - GF 10 - GA 7

The wins were against Yeovil (twice) and Cambridge Utd.

Both draws were against Yeovil.

Both defeats came against Bristol City.

The Cambridge game was a cup match (Trophy), all others league encounters.
Report Spam   Logged
WFCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 07:25:07 am »

Well you presume wrongly.

PL 7 - W3 - D2 - L2 - GF 10 - GA 7

The wins were against Yeovil (twice) and Cambridge Utd.

Both draws were against Yeovil.

The Cambridge game was a cup match (Trophy), all others league encounters.

Thanks very much - I never was much good at presumptiousness, especially when been up since 6.30 to get missues off to work after a late night too!  - see you later!!
Report Spam   Logged
wazzacobbler

Warrington Cobblers Supporters

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 10:01:46 am »

The original question was was it possible to get 11 wins from the last 13 games of the season.

The answer is YES.

YES is also the answer to the question: is it possible to get 11 defeats from 13 games.

I'm more than happy to agree that the rest of this season is all about Johnson getting to know the players, deciding who he wants to keep for Project Promotion next year. I'll be happy with some good performances between now and the end of May.
Report Spam   Logged

Host and Producer of the It's All Cobblers To Me podcast
@CobblersToMe @charlescommins
Poggy

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 10:40:40 am »

I remember Bristol City completely playing us off the park in the 2nd half of the game at sixfields with 10 men.

With the amount of sending offs we've had this season, a manager who can adapt his team that well should give a bit more hope for when we next go down to 10 men.
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2011, 10:47:09 am »

I just want fans to 'give' GJ these 13 games a freebies in a way. He's got very little pressure and time to assess the squad properly to make sure he knows who he wants to keep over the summer. I wouldn't rule out a loan signing or departure or two before the end of May though.
Report Spam   Logged
memyhead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2011, 10:54:55 am »

I just want fans to 'give' GJ these 13 games a freebies in a way. He's got very little pressure and time to assess the squad properly to make sure he knows who he wants to keep over the summer. I wouldn't rule out a loan signing or departure or two before the end of May though.

Exactly. Not often you get 13 games to asses the current squad with no real pressure to get results. Be nice to see the likes of Built etc thrown into the mix to see what they can do. I bet Johnson cannot believe Dunn has gone all season without any serious competition for his place. That will probably be the first thing he addresses......

Win, lose or draw these games. All that matters is that we are in tip top shape for the start of next season, with a squad Johnson is happy with, and which he has put together himself.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 10:57:55 am by memyhead » Report Spam   Logged
Insider

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2011, 17:07:52 pm »

Should this not be titled the "Gary Johnson 2010/11 Relegation Battle" thread?  GJ has an enormous task, and I think the players have been bigged up to be better than they are.  I'd seriously only keep a handful:  of the the first team regulars, Jacobs, Harrad, and Johnson (but not as a defender).  Others would be subject to a massive improvement in fitness and attitude: Purcell, Wedderburn, Beckwith, Davis.  The rest can go.  Along with Crosby and Thurgood. 
Report Spam   Logged
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2011, 17:17:40 pm »

or the Playoff 2011/2012 thread
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
jayntfc

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 17:20:58 pm »

Should this not be titled the "Gary Johnson 2010/11 Relegation Battle" thread?  GJ has an enormous task, and I think the players have been bigged up to be better than they are.  I'd seriously only keep a handful:  of the the first team regulars, Jacobs, Harrad, and Johnson (but not as a defender).  Others would be subject to a massive improvement in fitness and attitude: Purcell, Wedderburn, Beckwith, Davis.  The rest can go.  Along with Crosby and Thurgood. 

Couldn't agree more.
Report Spam   Logged
memyhead

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2011, 10:56:49 am »

Great comments from the gaffer.....

http://www.northantshp.co.uk/Sport/Cobblers/New-boss-Johnson-happy-to-get-stuck-in-straight-away-at-Sixfields.htm

New boss Johnson happy to get stuck in straight away at Sixfields

Gary Johnson could arguably not have had a tougher start to his managerial career with Northampton Town.

After Saturday’s game against high-flying Shrewsbury Town, the new boss now takes his side to League Two leaders Chesterfield on Tuesday evening.

"I should have started Wednesday and let some body else take those two shouldn't I?” he joked.

But despite only being appointed as Ian Sampson’s replacement last Friday, Johnson was keen to get straight into things and was on the touchline for the 3-2 defeat against Shrewsbury at Sixfields.

He said: “I wanted to come in early, and that's something that me and the chairman agreed because the earlier you can get in, the more you can suss out what you've got.

“Everybody tells me that Saturday was a typical game for this season for this club, so it was good that I saw that.”

The Cobblers led twice thanks to goals from Michael Jacobs, but both times found themselves pegged back by strikes from David Davies and Jake Collins.

Jon Taylor then won it for the Shrews three minutes from time, leaving Johnson with no doubts about what he needs to do to turn the side into promotion contenders.

The former Yeovil Town and Bristol City boss said: “Obviously the lads can score goals, but they can let goals in as well and that's the team - not just defenders.

“That's the team being able to defend when we haven't got the ball, and I thought we did OK for an hour or so.

“I was pleased with their passion and their work rate, and they tried to do the things that I asked them to - knock it about a bit probably a bit more than they normally would do.

“It got them into trouble on a couple of occasions and sometimes gave them something in their mind where they wanted to play the long one and they went for the short one, because I had asked them to, and gave it away.

“But at least they were trying. Then I felt we lost our legs and our presence in the last 20 minutes, and that's something that we've got to look at as well.”

With that being the case, some will be left wondering whether the work done by fitness coach Glen Thurgood is reaping rewards.

But Johnson does not believe that is where the problem lies, saying: "It's not necessarily him. The team has been around 14th, 15th, 16th [in the league] so the team needs to be better.

“The squad needs more quality, and more pace and power. Then maybe we can get ourselves into that top half as quickly as we can.

“It's a big test tomorrow so early in my tenure, but it will help me learn a little bit more about the lads.

“The ones that want to be here and be part of the new regime will be showing me that, the ones that don't or haven't got the ability will be showing me that as well."

Johnson has wasted little time in making moves in the transfer market and confirmed he hopes to have two players in before tomorrow night’s trip to the B2net Stadium.

Chesterfield currently have an 11 point advantage over the chasing pack at the top of the table, and few will be expecting Northampton to get anything from the game.

But Johnson is anxious to change that mentality, feeling that the recent run is as much of a psychological issue for the squad as anything

"When it went 2-2 I could feel it 'here we go again, we're going to get beat 3-2,’” he said reflecting on the weekend defeat.

“The players dropped, the crowd dropped and every pass that went astray then suddenly became a major issue.

“I could see it, feel it and I've been there and done it, and that's what it is.

”It's because that has happened so many times, so we've got to try and get a fresh mentality.

”That's why I've lost my voice because I tried to pick it up at the end when I was maybe flogging a bit of a dead horse.

“The lads need to know they've got to finish strong, and you've got to believe you're going to win that game 2-1.

“You can't let a goal in just after you've scored a goal, but it was as if everyone was half-expecting it."

However, he was impressed with midfield prospect Jacobs and is keen to ensure that the Cobblers keep hold of their young stars.

"He needs to be under contract for the next five years,” said Johnson, adding: “His two goals were super goals and he made them out of nothing really.

“He looks a good one because he is still young and we need to make sure that we build around the quality players that are already here."
Report Spam   Logged
Mark-JB

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2011, 11:00:41 am »

Agree - although I've given up on Beckwith personally.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: