The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 15:07:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Wigan at home Tuesday 9th February 2021 REARRANGED

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wigan at home Tuesday 9th February 2021 REARRANGED  (Read 13710 times)
Bertie

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #280 on: February 10, 2021, 09:05:13 am »

Good battling performance at Accy followed by this tripe. Even during the worst times in the past (and there's plenty to choose from)there would be goalmouth action, but when this team plays badly we don't even get that. Barely a shot all match. I could see the sense in taking Sowerby off at half time - not doing much, already booked and prime candidate for a second yellow - But Mc Williams? He was the only one showing any spark of intent, and while not setting the pitch alight was really getting stuck in and chasing everything. Can't see where the next goal is coming from - and until we start delivery decent quality balls to the strikers there won't be many. Crosses either go out or don't even beat the first defender. Grim times - last night was a must win, and we bottled it.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #281 on: February 10, 2021, 09:54:36 am »

Right, having slept on what happened last night, here's my thoughts. Naming an unchanged team, after a reasonable performance, is a good start, but what was obvious to everyone after 10 minutes was that our 2 in midfield were being over run by Wigan's 4. This was even picked up by Tim O and the Kettering Youth team manager so Curle waits until half of a vital match has gone before he acts. When Tim O says "Morris is coming on" most of us thought great we are going to match up the midfield numbers, but no, he just does a like for like swap sticking with the reason we can't get in the game.
   This was followed by a series of substitutions which includes Korboa replacing Hoskins in attack and Hoskins moving to replacing Mills at left wingback ? So does KC think that Hoskins is a better wingback than Mills? With every sub we lost more of our shape, I noticed when Chuck came on he had a confused look whilst trying to explain positions to other players.
   I don't really buy the "These players aren't good enough" line, they have proved in a few matches that if they play in a system that suits them, they can play, but to play hoofball without a target man, its not going to work is it? Added to the fact that our set pieces are SO predictable and, most of the time, poorly delivered, it's not surprising that we struggle for goals. I find it hard to believe that we don't have at least

a couple of players that can take a decent corner, lots of local footballers can take great corners and free kicks, and they don't have half the ability of our players.
    It's time for Kelvin to make a decision, I don't think there is any doubt that we are going down, so does he stick with KC ? If he does, the ST sales will drop drastically, or does he pull the trigger and give someone else a chance? I see lots of people saying "Who can we get who's any better?" my answer is, I think it would be difficult to do any worse, dire football, no goals and losing  

Are you suggesting that whoever is the Manager we are now doomed - Or only if KC remains in charge ? The latter makes more sense given the bizarre subs last night. ‘

We still have 20 games to play, to early to suggest we are irretrievably doomed if that is what you mean?

« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 10:05:25 am by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #282 on: February 10, 2021, 10:07:37 am »

Realistically I think we are doomed, but with some one else in charge we might have a chance, with KC we are doomed. I know the squad has it's limitations but does KC get the best out of his squad ? I don't think he does, that's my opinion but I would love to be proved wrong.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 10, 2021, 10:15:35 am »

Good battling performance at Accy followed by this tripe. Even during the worst times in the past (and there's plenty to choose from)there would be goalmouth action, but when this team plays badly we don't even get that. Barely a shot all match. I could see the sense in taking Sowerby off at half time - not doing much, already booked and prime candidate for a second yellow - But Mc Williams? He was the only one showing any spark of intent, and while not setting the pitch alight was really getting stuck in and chasing everything. Can't see where the next goal is coming from - and until we start delivery decent quality balls to the strikers there won't be many. Crosses either go out or don't even beat the first defender. Grim times - last night was a must win, and we bottled it.

Decent report Bertie given the manner of defeat and the OTT abusive comments which followed. It was grim watching indeed.
On the question of the subs I thought that Sowerby and McW were very poor tonight but to withdraw both was bizarre. Just take off Sowerby who was on a yellow! Looking fwd to Burton on Saturday who we always score plenty of goals Grin
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 10, 2021, 10:38:21 am »

So Everbrite, still don’t think tonight and Sat are season defining? Wake up man!

Having supported the Club since School have no intention of abandoning them now or more to the point just giving up! To me you only surface after a poor defeat always with the same mantra - sack him! I have witnessed far worse performances like that against the likes of Southampton,Rotherham, Hartlepool, Boston and Millwall. In my opinion you are an example of a fair weather (probably mostly  armchair) supporter! Begone with you.

Report Spam   Logged

west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #285 on: February 10, 2021, 13:01:39 pm »

Sowerby and McWilliams were both subbed at half time as both had picked up minor injuries is the explanation. But having put in a decent display at Accrington, without the usual cutting edge, we had a chance with a win to be top of the bottom group of 7. What we got was the worse performance of the season. In the first half the tactic appeared to be for the defense to lump it forward and say to the forwards " go and chase that".
Our delivery from corners and freekicks was again woeful, straight to their 'keeper, not clearing the first defender or overhit and clearing everybody.
Just before the goal I was thinking that apart from switching off in the second minute the defense had coped pretty well and then comes Bolger's error. We created nothing through midfield, why do we not slip through balls through the opposing defense for our forwards to latch onto?.
Cannot blame Edmonson or Rose for failing to get on the score sheet when no chances are being created for them, thought Edmonson held the ball up well at times.
It is difficult to see where the next goal is coming from having failed to score in 9 of the 13 home games and 15 of the 26 games in total. I wonder what the record is for these stats as the way we are going we could be setting new ones.
Report Spam   Logged
Saint Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #286 on: February 10, 2021, 14:10:19 pm »

Having supported the Club since School have no intention of abandoning them now or more to the point just giving up! To me you only surface after a poor defeat always with the same mantra - sack him! I have witnessed far worse performances like that against the likes of Southampton,Rotherham, Hartlepool, Boston and Millwall. In my opinion you are an example of a fair weather (probably mostly  armchair) supporter! Begone with you.

Typical! Being critical of honest supporters instead of the cause of their ire.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 10, 2021, 14:15:35 pm »

Typical! Being critical of honest supporters instead of the cause of their ire.

Behave!
Report Spam   Logged

Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #288 on: February 10, 2021, 14:28:19 pm »

Evers

If we lose at home to a club in crisis with a care taker manager after setting up for a point and their keeper not making a single save.

Which games do you think we can realistically win ?

Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 10, 2021, 15:03:39 pm »

Evers

If we lose at home to a club in crisis with a care taker manager after setting up for a point and their keeper not making a single save.

Which games do you think we can realistically win ?

I am sorry General but I just can’t throw in the towel. We have 20 games to go so we have a chance? Am also sorry to disagree with most on here but there is still hope with or without Curle. We are Northampton and can still shock some teams in L1 again with or without Curle. We
Report Spam   Logged

Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #290 on: February 10, 2021, 15:17:53 pm »

I am sorry General but I just can’t throw in the towel. We have 20 games to go so we have a chance? Am also sorry to disagree with most on here but there is still hope with or without Curle. We are Northampton and can still shock some teams in L1 again with or without Curle. We

Fairplay to you,

I Didn't turn on Edinburgh or Page. I even cheered Austin's honest appraisal following Mansfield but I can't watch anymore of this football.

I have just brought a house and have sat down for the last few games feeling guilty that I have more important things to do and I simply haven't been entertained.

I cannot remember watching a game as important as last nights and being so bored.

Report Spam   Logged

Horsham Cobbler

"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look"

View Profile
500 Posts Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #291 on: February 10, 2021, 17:25:17 pm »

I'd like to tell you something Mr Moral Fcuking High Ground. Before I do so, and for the sake of clarity, I will tell you that Horsham Cobbler and 1HorshamCobbler are 2 different people who happen, believe it or not, to both reside in Horsham, West Sussex.

Now let me ask you: would you drive on a tuesday night (after a full day working in the office) 230 miles round-trip to watch a home game at Sixfields, getting home after midnight? Would you drive on a saturday from West Sussex to Fleetwood, via Swindon in order to give a fellow Cobblers fan a lift (a 604-mile round trip, not that that would resonate in any way with with you)? I say 'drive' as opposed to sitting on a supporters' coach munching on corned beef sandwiches, having the odd nap along the way, and only having to worry about the next comfort stop. Because that's the sort of commitment 1HorshamCobbler gives to following the town, and has given over the 30 years since I first met him at the Littlehampton FAC tie in November 1990.

So, before you continue pontificating and slinging around more insulting comments along the lines of "In my opinion you are an example of a fair weather (probably mostly armchair) supporter" you might be interested to hear that his armchair is a MAGIC one, yes, one that travels as far and as wide and as frequently as a hardcore supporter such as your good self. We would invite invite you down to Sussex-by-the-Sea to break bread with us but I fear that the journey might be too much for you.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 10, 2021, 17:48:05 pm »

I'd like to tell you something Mr Moral Fcuking High Ground. Before I do so, and for the sake of clarity, I will tell you that Horsham Cobbler and 1HorshamCobbler are 2 different people who happen, believe it or not, to both reside in Horsham, West Sussex.

Now let me ask you: would you drive on a tuesday night (after a full day working in the office) 230 miles round-trip to watch a home game at Sixfields, getting home after midnight? Would you drive on a saturday from West Sussex to Fleetwood, via Swindon in order to give a fellow Cobblers fan a lift (a 604-mile round trip, not that that would resonate in any way with with you)? I say 'drive' as opposed to sitting on a supporters' coach munching on corned beef sandwiches, having the odd nap along the way, and only having to worry about the next comfort stop. Because that's the sort of commitment 1HorshamCobbler gives to following the town, and has given over the 30 years since I first met him at the Littlehampton FAC tie in November 1990.

So, before you continue pontificating and slinging around more insulting comments along the lines of "In my opinion you are an example of a fair weather (probably mostly armchair) supporter" you might be interested to hear that his armchair is a MAGIC one, yes, one that travels as far and as wide and as frequently as a **** supporter such as your good self. We would invite invite you down to Sussex-by-the-Sea to break bread with us but I fear that the journey might be too much for you.

Well I met you at the Yeovil game where I bought a ticket from you. There is no need to use abusive/foul mouthed language and you should retract that part of your message. Not sure why you wish to go to such trouble to explain the tenuous link between yourself and Horsham1? Have no issue with you whatsoever and quite happy to journey to Horsham where I have friends.... pandemic permitting.
Report Spam   Logged

Saint Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #293 on: February 10, 2021, 17:48:26 pm »

Well said HC but do you think this will actually quieten our sanctimonious friend?
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 10, 2021, 17:55:38 pm »

Well said HC but do you think this will actually quieten our sanctimonious friend?

Yes - as Horsham1 does indeed  travel to long away games. So that bit was unfair by me; sorry Horsham1 for losing my rag.
Report Spam   Logged

Horsham Cobbler

"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look"

View Profile
500 Posts Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #295 on: February 10, 2021, 19:02:27 pm »

Yes - as Horsham1 does indeed  travel to long away games. So that bit was unfair by me; sorry Horsham1 for losing my rag.

And I, in turn, apologise if my comments overstepped the mark and offended you.

On this forum we all often disagree, sometimes strongly, with each other's points of view and opinions but we should never call into question the commitment or credentials of all of us when it comes to supporting NTFC. In that respect I will stand up for my friend Mark just as, commendably, people on here on will vouch for you as being a decent person.

I may not agree with some of the things you say, or views you hold, but I do not doubt that you are a dyed-in-the-wool Cobbler.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 10, 2021, 22:38:29 pm »

And I, in turn, apologise if my comments overstepped the mark and offended you.

On this forum we all often disagree, sometimes strongly, with each other's points of view and opinions but we should never call into question the commitment or credentials of all of us when it comes to supporting NTFC. In that respect I will stand up for my friend Mark just as, commendably, people on here on will vouch for you as being a decent person.

I may not agree with some of the things you say, or views you hold, but I do not doubt that you are a dyed-in-the-wool Cobbler.

We move on !
Most Cobblers Fans are decent people particularly on the Trust Coaches and there is nothing better than being in a Cobblers crowd in full swing - like they did at Burton the other season.Now that our nemesis has departed no doubt the Forum will settle down with a calmer attitude prevailing. ....for a while. Come in Joey Barton Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: