The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 21:51:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Salary cap scrapped

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Salary cap scrapped  (Read 2004 times)
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« on: February 09, 2021, 14:33:50 pm »

News just in, The salary cap has now been scrapped.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/09/league-one-two-scrap-salary-cap-after-appeal-by-players-union-pfa

For me I think this is a bad idea. I know some people  think Sunderland ect should be able to spend what they want but they wouldn't be in this league had they been responsible in the first place.

What's everyone else's thought ?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

tcobb

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 14:57:00 pm »

To me it's the best thing, a salary cap is a restriction of trade, if teams over spend then that's the risk they take. All teams big or small take a gamble every so often, that's football. Bringing in caps etc is just further sanitisation of the sport just to appease all the snow flakes.
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 15:20:37 pm »

To me the cap is a restrictive business practice. Imagine what would happen if you told any other group of companies that they couldn't pay the workers what was meritted.
I don't have a problem if a club wants to gamble on buying promotion, some will win some will lose and if those that lose go to the wall then so be it.
Report Spam   Logged
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 15:34:37 pm »

Did you two support the bail out from the Prem?

I personally think if there is no wage cap then that should not have happened. Why should prem clubs pay for Sunderland, Hull ect to spank a bail out on new players.
Report Spam   Logged

Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 15:40:55 pm »

I think an element of it should be linked to attendances, there's no way Sunderland should be limited to the same maximum as Accrington, but it is absolutely suicidal to not have these caps. These aren't start-up companies, they're community assets as much as they are limited companies, and the salary cap in Rugby Union and most sports in ultra-capitalist United States show that isn't exactly a foreign or exotic concept.
Report Spam   Logged
OCoole

View Profile
Windows User Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 15:44:12 pm »

To me it's the best thing, a salary cap is a restriction of trade, if teams over spend then that's the risk they take. All teams big or small take a **** every so often, that's football. Bringing in caps etc is just further sanitisation of the sport just to appease all the snow flakes.

Is it appeasing the "snowflakes"? Or is it rather a sensible step towards curbing the ridiculous amount of clubs either biting the dust or being put perilously close by rogue owners? Who are the "snowflakes" here and what does that really even mean?
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 15:45:17 pm »

Likewise, what is the point (other than keeping the club afloat) of selling on a Goode for us, Toney for Posh if such limits and restrictions are in place to strengthen and try and have ambition?

When sugar daddy from the Beds area finally comes over the horizon, would like to think we get more than a few crock loans and cast offs from Oldham Athletic!
Good news!
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 15:46:02 pm »

I think it is outrageous.
Report Spam   Logged
OCoole

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 15:47:27 pm »

I think an element of it should be linked to attendances, there's no way Sunderland should be limited to the same maximum as Accrington, but it is absolutely suicidal to not have these caps. These aren't start-up companies, they're community assets as much as they are limited companies, and the salary cap in Rugby Union and most sports in ultra-capitalist United States show that isn't exactly a foreign or exotic concept.

Exactly this. Sports stars in US team sports still earn huge salaries but the leagues keep a competitive edge by having team salary caps. It makes it more interesting because its not always the usual suspects winning each year.
Report Spam   Logged
tcobb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 15:55:12 pm »

What is the ridiculous amount of teams that have bitten the dust ? If teams cannot take a gamble to attract players in to boast their chances of success it will become a stale boring sport to watch. Rugby union has a cap, but just how many teams are there in their sport ?
 The bail out from the premiership is based on the size of the club, the bigger the club the bigger the payout, just as it should be. Again i say its was just done to appease the snowflakes who think everything in life should be fair, like no losers at school sports, well time to wake up and realise it is a big bad world out there where all is not equal.
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2021, 16:08:27 pm »

Exactly this. Sports stars in US team sports still earn huge salaries but the leagues keep a competitive edge by having team salary caps. It makes it more interesting because its not always the usual suspects winning each year.
[
Makes what more interesting exactly? Not the same teams winning each year...Patriots record in the NFL in the last decade? Each club a franchise, so nullifying to a great extent the historical community values we have here and throughout football in general.
There are no promotions, relegations or pyramid systems in place with the NFL, MLB or NBL. It could also be argued that the draft system in the US, contradicts success...hence the Philadelphia Eagles throwing their last regular game this season.
Hardly more interesting I'd say, and though we can become dewy eyed with nostalgia, think when we go back to the Dicky Jeeps at the Saints or Jack English at the Cobblers earning pennies, hardly allows for development, merely maintaining a stagnant status quo.
Having said all that, I am of course not trying to excuse or support the absurd amounts being paid to Neymar et-al in the higher echelons of sports, but £2.5 million as a cap went absurdly tge other way!
Report Spam   Logged
OCoole

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2021, 16:14:11 pm »

What is the ridiculous amount of teams that have bitten the dust ? If teams cannot take a **** to attract players in to boast their chances of success it will become a stale boring sport to watch. Rugby union has a cap, but just how many teams are there in their sport ?
 The bail out from the premiership is based on the size of the club, the bigger the club the bigger the payout, just as it should be. Again i say its was just done to appease the snowflakes who think everything in life should be fair, like no losers at school sports, well time to wake up and realise it is a big bad world out there where all is not equal.

I've helpfully highlighted the part of your comment where you made yourself sound stupid  Smiley

As for what is the ridiculous amount of teams that have bitten the dust - 2 football league sides in the last 3 years (Bury and Macclesfield have gone) because of poor ownership. How many other clubs have come very close in the last 5 years or so? Off the top of my head - Cobblers, Bolton, Southend, Wigan, Portsmouth, Charlton, Leyton Orient, Oldham, Port Vale, and now possibly both Derby and Swindon. There are plenty more cases if you go back further.

Please tell me why you can't see the problem?
Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2021, 16:16:07 pm »

I think the main thing I like about it is that it simple and difficult to game with complex financial schemes. I don't have any problem with Portsmouth having more wages than us, if it's proportional to success and attendances. Any existing controls put in are too easily gamed, as we've seen constantly with Crawley, Fleetwood, Rushden and Diamonds, Manchester City etc. You can't sponsor your own stadium for billions of pounds of whatever to get around a set salary cap. It probably should staggered to some sort of financial indicator, whether their's ticket sales or attendances or whatever to allow it increase to a certain percent, but with an absolute cap on top. Maybe like an absolutely max of £10 million in League 1, but cut down to £3 million if you're only bringing in 4000 fans a game, or something like that.

It would obviously be personally great for us if the whole league was limited to £2.5 million a year, but that's obviously not a fair reason to have it.
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2021, 16:16:58 pm »

To me it's the best thing, a salary cap is a restriction of trade, if teams over spend then that's the risk they take. All teams big or small take a **** every so often, that's football. Bringing in caps etc is just further sanitisation of the sport just to appease all the snow flakes.
Not everything that somebody disagrees with was done by "snowflakes", in fact given your use of it here, I'm not even sure you know what the term is supposed to mean
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2021, 16:20:32 pm »

Great now we can spunk all KTs money, I am all for it.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
OCoole

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2021, 16:22:40 pm »

[
Makes what more interesting exactly? Not the same teams winning each year...Patriots record in the NFL in the last decade? Each club a franchise, so nullifying to a great extent the historical community values we have here and throughout football in general.
There are no promotions, relegations or pyramid systems in place with the NFL, MLB or NBL. It could also be argued that the draft system in the US, contradicts success...hence the Philadelphia Eagles throwing their last regular game this season.
Hardly more interesting I'd say, and though we can become dewy eyed with nostalgia, think when we go back to the Dicky Jeeps at the Saints or Jack English at the Cobblers earning pennies, hardly allows for development, merely maintaining a stagnant status quo.
Having said all that, I am of course not trying to excuse or support the absurd amounts being paid to Neymar et-al in the higher echelons of sports, but £2.5 million as a cap went absurdly tge other way!

But did it go absurdly the other way, or rather, was it a sensible step to keep as many clubs alive during an ongoing period of which clubs are experiencing the biggest cash flow problem they have probably ever known? You only have to look at the debts racked up by nearly every Championship club to see how the faint chance of the massive carrot (Premier League money) can persuade owners to overspend year on year.

How many owners in League One might have thought "you know what, other clubs will be tightening their belts right now, we should just go for bust and spend"? In my opinion some sort of cap was absolutely pragmatic and necessary - you could make a case that it could be scaled by average crowds (i.e. Sunderland's cap is larger than Accy's) once crowds are allowed back in, but for once I think football's governing bodies are actually showing some proper leadership.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2021, 16:23:11 pm »

Great now we can spunk all KTs money, I am all for it.

You do know that he hasn't got any?  Wink Grin
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2021, 16:26:39 pm »

Bugger, I thought that was going too well.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2021, 16:27:36 pm »

I do think this is part of a much bigger plan, that will inevitably lead to a better form of self regulation. I do not for one second expect the league to stand by and watch clubs run up huge debts these days without some accountability. We are in the era of clubs going to the wall if they should do. In some respects, it probably is a case of giving them enough rope, in a world where the salary cap has proved to be nigh on impossible to police. Deal with them by example. It won't take long for a natural balance to come to the fore. Spend too much, you're fcuked, type of set up  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2021, 16:28:09 pm »

I bet he's got more than us lot  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print