The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 21:05:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Salary cap scrapped

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Salary cap scrapped  (Read 2003 times)
Coolcat

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2021, 17:22:49 pm »

But did it go absurdly the other way, or rather, was it a sensible step to keep as many clubs alive during an ongoing period of which clubs are experiencing the biggest cash flow problem they have probably ever known? You only have to look at the debts racked up by nearly every Championship club to see how the faint chance of the massive carrot (Premier League money) can persuade owners to overspend year on year.

How many owners in League One might have thought "you know what, other clubs will be tightening their belts right now, we should just go for bust and spend"? In my opinion some sort of cap was absolutely pragmatic and necessary - you could make a case that it could be scaled by average crowds (i.e. Sunderland's cap is larger than Accy's) once crowds are allowed back in, but for once I think football's governing bodies are actually showing some proper leadership.
I'd agree with this but possibly a significant doubling at least of the ceiling. Clubs such a Macclesfield haven't gone bust by going all out or bust - their dodgy owner didn't as much as couldn't pay the minimally low players' wages and the bills. No salary cap would help Macclesfield and nor likely Bury...though Bolton Wanderers, most certainly I agree.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2021, 17:34:16 pm »

I think we should rename the auto paint pizza freight trophy The Celery Cup.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2021, 17:35:30 pm »

The problem is that I believe there are different responsibilities to running a football club? The greatest of which is to be custodians of what is really an institution of historical importance? We have been fortunate enough to be from a town that has a football league club. If you are like me the club has been supported by my family for generations. My earliest shared experiences with my Dad as a child was watching Northampton Town, as were my fathers with his.
All of that history and emotion wrapped up in that claret shirt, memories and pleasures that will be with me for my entire life. Yet history has shown us that a number of owners have come in with little regard for any of that history? With self serving indulgence they have treated the club as anything from an ego trip, to a gravy train and investment opportunity and all points in between?
Egged on by many in the support base drunk on the prospect of self gratification they pump more and more money into the club, risking its very future and possibly denying future generations the opportunity to support the club and enjoy the experiences we have had? Was ours a unique story then perhaps it may be different, but it is spread across the lower leagues at virtually every club? Like a reflection of society itself, the mantra for many football club owners is spend now worry about it later and damn the consequences.
Those that are not spending are draining it dry with ridiculous salaries drawn from clubs that never make a profit, cars, property renovations and god knows what else whilst they seek worship from the directors box. The majority of these abhorrent individuals couldn’t direct p1ss into a bucket? Football has proved itself incapable of running itself in the best of times.
Now in the midst of the biggest crisis to unfold in generations the governing bodies have shown themselves to be once again weak and incapable of acting in the interests of the sport and institutions we all love. This is by giving these lunatics license to spend what they want, when they want endorsed by a fan base who state that if they are stupid enough to spend it than that’s their problem?
This is despite all of them to a club putting their hands out for the recent bale out? What an absolutely appalling and disgusting approach to take? The governing bodies and football generally speaking including the support base should hang their heads in shame? But my greatest anger is reserved for the many owners who have no doubt heaped pressure on the EFL to remove the restrictions and give them license back to continue on with their selfish and misguided ego trip into the unknown?
They should never be let anywhere near the position of responsibility they have found themselves in the first place. When is everyone going to wake up and do something. Change a roof tile on a 150 year old building and the government goes mad. Drive a club that has been supported by thousands and thousands for generations into oblivion unchecked then no problem, the worlds gone mad?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 17:48:34 pm by Deepcut Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2021, 17:48:36 pm »

The problem is that I believe there are different responsibilities to running a football club? The greatest of which is to be custodians of what is really an institution of historical importance? We have been fortunate enough to be from a town that has a football league club. If you are like me the club has been supported by my family for generations. My earliest shared experiences with my Dad as a child was watching Northampton Town, as were my fathers with his. All of that history and emotion wrapped up in that claret shirt, memories and pleasures that will be with me for my entire life. Yet history has shown us that a number of owners have come in with little regard for any of that history? With self serving indulgence they have treated the club as anything from an ego trip, to a gravy train and investment opportunity and all points in between? Egged on by many in the support base drunk on the prospect of self gratification they pump more and more money into the club, risking its very future and possibly denying future generations the opportunity to support the club and enjoy the experiences we have had? Was ours a unique story then perhaps it may be different, but it is spread across the lower leagues at virtually every club? Like a reflection of society itself, the mantra for many football club owners is spend now worry about it later and damn the consequences. Those that are not spending are draining it dry with ridiculous salaries drawn from clubs that never make a profit, cars, property renovations and god knows what else whilst they seek worship from the directors box. The majority of these abhorrent individuals couldn’t direct p1ss into a bucket? Football has proved itself incapable of running itself in the best of times. Now in the midst of the biggest crisis to unfold in generations the governing bodies have shown themselves to be once again weak and incapable of acting in the interests of the sport and institutions we all love. This is by giving these lunatics license to spend what they want, when they want endorsed by a fan base who state that if they are stupid enough to spend it than that’s their problem? This is despite all of them to a club putting their hands out for the recent bale out? What an absolutely appalling and disgusting approach to take? The governing bodies and football generally speaking including the support base should hang their heads in shame? But my greatest anger is reserved for the many owners who have no doubt heaped pressure on the EFL to remove the restrictions and give them license back to continue on with their selfish and misguided ego trip into the unknown? They should never be let anywhere near the position of responsibility they have found themselves in the first place. When is everyone going to wake up and do something. Change a roof tile on a 150 year old building and the government goes mad. Drive a club that has been supported by thousands and thousands for generations into oblivion unchecked then no problem, the worlds gone mad?
I had a funny feeling you’d like this thread Melly. 😉
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2021, 17:51:24 pm »

I had a funny feeling you’d like this thread Melly. 😉
Unsurprisingly I’m having a fume and a lay down with a cold flannel.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2021, 16:53:26 pm »

A catastrophe is fast appearing on the horizon. The incompetence of the EFL in refusing to accept a condition which would in effect result in a level playing field for all Championship clubs is bewildering? To be clear in the current financial situation the EFL refuses to agree that players will not be allowed to be paid bigger salaries, a condition that applies to all other businesses in this situation. The stupidity, misguided decision making and ability to govern by this outdated and inept organisation is frankly a disgrace and embarrassing? The false financial position of many clubs is about to end and the consequences for football will be far reaching if this isn’t resolved? Even if it is the fact that it needs to be repaid within a strict timeline will be a considerable challenge for many Championship clubs? In any event, I suspect there will be a knock on effect that will filter down throughout football, as I imagine tax bills are not going to be paid by a number of clubs anyway? Financial reality looms, and the eyes of the blind are about to be opened?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56137353
Report Spam   Logged

Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2021, 11:39:49 am »

A catastrophe is fast appearing on the horizon. The incompetence of the EFL in refusing to accept a condition which would in effect result in a level playing field for all Championship clubs is bewildering? To be clear in the current financial situation the EFL refuses to agree that players will not be allowed to be paid bigger salaries, a condition that applies to all other businesses in this situation. The stupidity, misguided decision making and ability to govern by this outdated and inept organisation is frankly a disgrace and embarrassing? The false financial position of many clubs is about to end and the consequences for football will be far reaching if this isn’t resolved? Even if it is the fact that it needs to be repaid within a strict timeline will be a considerable challenge for many Championship clubs? In any event, I suspect there will be a knock on effect that will filter down throughout football, as I imagine tax bills are not going to be paid by a number of clubs anyway? Financial reality looms, and the eyes of the blind are about to be opened?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56137353
I agree with all of this, still think we should have spunked everything on Nugent though!
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
tcobb

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2021, 12:33:57 pm »

Why do people keep complaining that the EFL are at fault, surely any company that is trading, pays its workers the going rate, what they can afford ? Before people blame the EFL lets look at the Chairmen who pay the wages, nobody makes them, look at the agents who demand the player is paid a high wage, look at the player who is happy to let the agent demand a high wage, look at the supporters who want the best players and for the Chairman to spend big. Ive been watching football for  god knows how long and all i keep hearing is " The League are at fault... The FA are at fault "  and for those years people have kept saying " this cant go on,Clubs will go bust"  year after year, yes Clubs will go bust, yes some will come close, but isnt that the same as all types of  business ? Why does a salary cap need to be put in place because the Clubs cannot control the spending ? Let them spend, let them achieve success, let them fail, because that is what Clubs do, that is football, that is the high and the heartache. A salary cap is just another nail in the coffin of football on its way to complete sanitation.
Report Spam   Logged

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.
guest3338

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2021, 13:05:56 pm »

Why do people keep complaining that the EFL are at fault, surely any company that is trading, pays its workers the going rate, what they can afford ? Before people blame the EFL lets look at the Chairmen who pay the wages, nobody makes them, look at the agents who demand the player is paid a high wage, look at the player who is happy to let the agent demand a high wage, look at the supporters who want the best players and for the Chairman to spend big. Ive been watching football for  god knows how long and all i keep hearing is " The League are at fault... The FA are at fault "  and for those years people have kept saying " this cant go on,Clubs will go bust"  year after year, yes Clubs will go bust, yes some will come close, but isnt that the same as all types of  business ? Why does a salary cap need to be put in place because the Clubs cannot control the spending ? Let them spend, let them achieve success, let them fail, because that is what Clubs do, that is football, that is the high and the heartache. A salary cap is just another nail in the coffin of football on its way to complete sanitation.
Free market enterprise you mean?
People will argue the community aspect of a football club should be taken into account and hence the need for the EFL to impose artificial limits and ceilings to try and prevent clubs from failing, but how many that do fold aren't almost immediately 'replaced' by a phoenix club which has immediate intentions of filling the void left by the disappearance of the original club?
I'd be genuinely interested to see a register of professional and semi professional clubs that have gone under over the past 40 years that have never been replaced within that community by a start up club, or ones that have been but the phoenix club has also proven to be unsustainable.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2021, 18:55:13 pm »

Problem is tcobb some can’t pay their tax bill. To clarify, they are being offered a loan by the government to defer this? When this happens in industry a condition is that you can’t blow this money on increasing executives wages and the like. For me that is perfectly reasonable, that is not the correct use of tax payers money? It is supposed to give the company financial stability and stave off bankruptcy and the like. The government stipulated that a condition of the loan was that clubs couldn’t blow it on players wages and trying to get themselves promoted etc. it was there to support them similar to the usual conditions and the EFL refused to accept it? So to be clear, in the current financial climate the EFL have rejected an offer of millions from the government to support championship clubs because they sought to impose a condition that applies to the rest of industry in these circumstances for reasons that couldn’t be more logical and clearer? So no they are not prepared to operate as other businesses.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 18:56:44 pm by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

tcobb

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2021, 19:03:46 pm »

I cant understand the EFL not accepting the loan with the conditions attached, the government don't want it used to increase players wages which is fair enough, it is there to keep each club in business. ie; paying the existing wage structure.
Although the loan really doesn't have anything directly to do with a salary cap, so my original point stands.
Report Spam   Logged

Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2021, 19:25:25 pm »

I cant understand the EFL not accepting the loan with the conditions attached, the government don't want it used to increase players wages which is fair enough, it is there to keep each club in business. ie; paying the existing wage structure.
Although the loan really doesn't have anything directly to do with a salary cap, so my original point stands.
It all depends on whether you see clubs as a business or as I put it, an institution of historical importance? I prefer the latter, which means you have finances directly linked to your support and are at the mercy of the unpredictability of sport. The downside is that it is very difficult for clubs like ours to ever make it to the Prem. Your way clubs are often at the mercy of individuals who have little care or regard for the club’s future? Think about our recent history and how close we have come to the end? However, your way the prospect of success and going to the Championship and beyond is far more possible, so I do get it? I just think that salary caps offer a sort of half way house where it curtails some of the more irresponsible decision making at board level? The problem for football is that it attracts many more suitors than a business in its financial position normally would, often for the wrong reasons? That’s a significant challenge as decisions are often ego driven rather than financially driven, so IMO there are a number of differences faced by football in comparison to regular businesses?
Report Spam   Logged

tcobb

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2021, 19:37:06 pm »

Fully understand what you are saying Melbourne, but i would rather have an open market, i know Clubs are a big part of their local community, but they should still be allowed to flourish or die in the name of competition, clubs that a big part of the community will survive, either by being rescued or reformed, that's the risk that football thrives on, with out that it just becomes a stale boring status quo
Report Spam   Logged

Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2021, 19:44:27 pm »

Fully understand what you are saying Melbourne, but i would rather have an open market, i know Clubs are a big part of their local community, but they should still be allowed to flourish or die in the name of competition, clubs that a big part of the community will survive, either by being rescued or reformed, that's the risk that football thrives on, with out that it just becomes a stale boring status quo
And right here is the two sides of the debate that goes on a nearly every lower league club? However, at the very least have some strong governance to prevent the Wigan situation occurring and the like?
Report Spam   Logged

tcobb

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2021, 20:22:50 pm »

Tbf Wigan has happened because the Club has spent beyond their means, they took the gamble and failed, they achieved their success by being bankrolled by a wealthy benefactor. If a salary cap had been in force when thy came into the League all those years ago ,more than likely they would have remained in the bottom two leagues, never achieving an FA Cup win or top flight football.
Report Spam   Logged

Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2021, 21:16:57 pm »

Tbf Wigan has happened because the Club has spent beyond their means, they took the **** and failed, they achieved their success by being bankrolled by a wealthy benefactor. If a salary cap had been in force when thy came into the League all those years ago ,more than likely they would have remained in the bottom two leagues, never achieving an FA Cup win or top flight football.
What about the allegations that the last owner took over and deliberately got them a points deduction as part of a betting scheme? Now this refusal to accept the conditions of the government loan? Seriously tcobb you can drive a coach and horses through the professional judgment of the EFL. That’s my view anyway?

Edit: a players perspective on the EFL. Worth a read.

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/sam-morsy-wigan-points-deduction-relegation-wigan-athletic-876508
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 21:41:40 pm by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: