The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 23:36:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

New Manager

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 46   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Manager  (Read 53771 times)
Turner Street Cobbler

North Stander

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #180 on: February 16, 2021, 09:27:05 am »

The last paragraph sounds familiar 😁
Not a bad shout though.

HAHA I was thinking the exact same as I typed that bit!!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #181 on: February 16, 2021, 10:10:36 am »

Rubbish. JB OBVIOUSLY needs quite a bit more time. He's only had a day or two. Very impressive review of the upcoming Ipswich game. I could even understand what he was talking about, plain English. I feel much better about the future now, whether or not we stay up. KC has left so much to do to get these players into the right frame of mind and playing in a system where everyone knows their job. If we make a reasonable fist of trying to stay up and the football improves then give JB, Sammo and Rico the job.

Of course you are, it happens naturally it’s what people do. A poor result for your pal on Tuesday could be curtains. Very poor judgement by you Cool
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #182 on: February 16, 2021, 10:35:17 am »

I am self aware to know that this post will have me accused of:
1) being naive
2) lacking ambition
3) sticking to my own
But ...
I value loyalty and passion highly for footballers and their managers.
Brady, Sammo and Rico have a passion for the team and live locally which gives them loyalty to a sustainable future for our club.
The journeymen manager who sees this as a brief stop over on their career really doesn’t have the same passion and understanding. The same could be said for the player loanee or short term contract player as well.

I want a manager that really cares for this club and it’s success. Someone that lives a 2 hour drive away from Sixfields to co**** themselves from failure and the realities of small club management is not for me thank you.
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #183 on: February 16, 2021, 11:04:49 am »

Someone that lives a 2 hour drive away from Sixfields to co**** themselves from failure and the realities of small club management is not for me thank you.

Wilder wasn't for you then?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #184 on: February 16, 2021, 12:24:16 pm »

Was Wilder a journeyman when he came here? Perhaps.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 16, 2021, 12:30:57 pm »

Powerful alternative opinion.
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 16, 2021, 12:36:24 pm »

+1 Couldn't have expressed this more eloquently myself.

Might have misread the original comment but 'eloquent'  Roll Eyes ; are you being sarcastic? This is not a criticism but slightly incredulous !  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #187 on: February 16, 2021, 12:50:37 pm »

Sorry if I've missed any, but these are the managers who have won promotion as a Northampton Town Manager...

Curle - Bristol
Wilder - Sheffield
Calderwood - Scotland
Wilson - Banbury
Atkins - Birmingham
Carr - Newcastle *I think!*
Dodgin - Gateshead
Bowen - Wales

No idea where the managers we've had came from who didn't win us promotion but there's plenty of them. Just not sure what the collaboration between achieving success coupled with a prior, passionate affinity to the club/area is. Sorry, was a bit bored this lunchtime!!  Grin

If I had to pick one of these names that are being bandied about, and one we could realistically afford, then Id go with the current Cheltenham Town manager. Or maybe a young up and coming coach like Rosenior, and create a director of football type role to oversee his and the teams development. Appreciate the latter is doubling up with cost though, so may not be a realistic option at the minute.

I cant help but feel though that a trouble shooter is needed to shake up the dressing room, but the issue with going down that route is if they keep us up this season, then what next beyond? Probably best to look for a long term solution but time is of the essence if we are to give the new guy a decent crack at keeping us up this season.

Really tough call for KT and co. Interviews by zoom, all that malarkey. Not ideal is it?!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 16, 2021, 13:07:00 pm »

Sorry if I've missed any, but these are the managers who have won promotion as a Northampton Town Manager...

Curle - Bristol
Wilder - Sheffield
Calderwood - Scotland
Wilson - Banbury
Atkins - Birmingham
Dodgin - Gateshead
Bowen - Wales

No idea where the managers we've had came from who didn't win us promotion but there's plenty of them. Just not sure what the collaboration between achieving success coupled with a prior, passionate affinity to the club/area is. Sorry, was a bit bored this lunchtime!!  Grin

If I had to pick one of these names that are being bandied about, and one we could realistically afford, then Id go with the current Cheltenham Town manager. Or maybe a young up and coming coach like Rosenior, and create a director of football type role to oversee his and the teams development. Appreciate the latter is doubling up with cost though, so may not be a realistic option at the minute.

I cant help but feel though that a trouble shooter is needed to shake up the dressing room, but the issue with going down that route is if they keep us up this season, then what next beyond? Probably best to look for a long term solution but time is of the essence if we are to give the new guy a decent crack at keeping us up this season.

Really tough call for KT and co. Interviews by zoom, all that malarkey. Not ideal is it?!

I really hope that JB gets a result tonight as a poor one will make progress difficult for the Club, fans and himself.
Report Spam   Logged

bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #189 on: February 16, 2021, 13:07:33 pm »

I think this is quite a tricky appointment. These are the criteria IMO in order of importance:

1. Someone with sufficient League 1 - or at least football league - experience to keep us up. Personally I'm not convinced that a non-league manager would have sufficient nous to be able to scout League One opposition and work out how to effectively combat their threats. It's just too big a jump IMO, but I would feel differently if we were in League Two. 

The financial ramifications of staying at this level IMO are too great to risk an appointment purely based on potential and long-term vision. We need to appoint someone who has the best chance of keeping us up.

2. Someone who plays a mixture of direct and passing football  If we appoint another hoofball merchant then 0 progress will have been made and we may as well have stuck with Curle. The squad and the fans are crying out for a different approach. However, if we brought in someone who was too much of a purist or someone like JFH with a tendency to over-complicate lower league football then things might lurch to the opposite extreme. I've said before that I personally wouldn't want to watch the type of powerpuff pass-it-to-death football peddled by MK Dongs and neither would I want to endure another proponent of Curleball. The type of football I personally like to watch is a combination of direct play (crosses into the box, physical aggression, the odd ball over the top for pacey forwards to run onto) and passing (overlaps, proper width, strikers laying things off to onrushing midfielders, passing through the midfield). The type of football played by Chris Wilder, in short.

3. Someone with a track record of developing youth players
  There are some talented youngsters at the club who desperately need nurturing: McWilliams, Chucks, Pollock, Seal, Dyche etc. In the post-Covid era when money becomes tight I think youth development is going to become more and more important. I'd love someone to take over who could set up a genuine pathway for us there.

Those personally are my criteria. As I've said before I wouldn't personally be looking at non-league managers right now. One possibility would be to give it to someone experienced on a contract until the end of the season and then look to make another long-term appointment in the summer.

Of the names mentioned so far, I personally like Cook, Flynn and Duff.

Report Spam   Logged
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 16, 2021, 13:26:04 pm »

And that’s my point......
One year of great football, hope and enjoyment. Then ....
Wilder had no loyalty to NTFC and is desperate to manage his home team club and keep his wife and family happy.
He pisses off and leaves us in a higher division with a confused squad. Then we get Page, Austin, Edinburgh, Jimmy and KC. How did that work out for you my friend?
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
Ryan Amoo 14

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #191 on: February 16, 2021, 13:36:33 pm »

And that’s my point......
One year of great football, hope and enjoyment. Then ....
Wilder had no loyalty to NTFC and is desperate to manage his home team club and keep his wife and family happy.
He pisses off and leaves us in a higher division with a confused squad. Then we get Page, Austin, Edinburgh, Jimmy and KC. How did that work out for you my friend?

It's going to be a relatively brief job for anybody at our level. Failure = sacking, genuine success = moving on to another club.

Being local makes absolutely no difference.

Report Spam   Logged
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 16, 2021, 13:39:54 pm »

It's going to be a relatively brief job for anybody at our level. Failure = sacking, genuine success = moving on to another club.

Having a genuine passion for the club and its long term success might though? Do you think?
Listen, I know it’s not a popular view so I don’t expect much agreement.
Report Spam   Logged

Grove

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #193 on: February 16, 2021, 14:19:17 pm »

Curle - Bristol
Wilder - Sheffield
Calderwood - Scotland
Wilson - Banbury
Atkins - Birmingham
Dodgin - Gateshead
Bowen - Wales

Brady Australia, Sammo Up north , Rico Up North

Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #194 on: February 16, 2021, 14:43:20 pm »

The issue with JB is that if he takes it on a permanent basis, what happens when it doesn't go as planned?
He's then out of both a managerial and more than likely the Youth coach job, he might be settled in the area and content to be doing what he is currently.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #195 on: February 16, 2021, 14:53:08 pm »

Have any of you suggesting Cowley actually seen his team play??? He is at much hoofball as KC.

If we could get him and it's a big if, he would cone here, but Micheal Duff has always got Cheltenham in and around the play offs on a small budget and plays decent football, if he'd cone here, he would be my choice.
Quite logical if not obvious, that if Michael Duff goes anywhere, it will be to Bristol Rovers!
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #196 on: February 16, 2021, 14:55:34 pm »

Quite logical if not obvious, that if Michael Duff goes anywhere, it will be to Bristol Rovers!
He’s well up in the betting odds at Gas.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
andycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #197 on: February 16, 2021, 15:59:17 pm »

I think this is quite a tricky appointment. These are the criteria IMO in order of importance:

1. Someone with sufficient League 1 - or at least football league - experience to keep us up. Personally I'm not convinced that a non-league manager would have sufficient nous to be able to scout League One opposition and work out how to effectively combat their threats. It's just too big a jump IMO, but I would feel differently if we were in League Two. 

The financial ramifications of staying at this level IMO are too great to risk an appointment purely based on potential and long-term vision. We need to appoint someone who has the best chance of keeping us up.

2. Someone who plays a mixture of direct and passing football  If we appoint another hoofball merchant then 0 progress will have been made and we may as well have stuck with Curle. The squad and the fans are crying out for a different approach. However, if we brought in someone who was too much of a purist or someone like JFH with a tendency to over-complicate lower league football then things might lurch to the opposite extreme. I've said before that I personally wouldn't want to watch the type of powerpuff pass-it-to-death football peddled by MK Dongs and neither would I want to endure another proponent of Curleball. The type of football I personally like to watch is a combination of direct play (crosses into the box, physical aggression, the odd ball over the top for pacey forwards to run onto) and passing (overlaps, proper width, strikers laying things off to onrushing midfielders, passing through the midfield). The type of football played by Chris Wilder, in short.

3. Someone with a track record of developing youth players
  There are some talented youngsters at the club who desperately need nurturing: McWilliams, Chucks, Pollock, Seal, Dyche etc. In the post-Covid era when money becomes tight I think youth development is going to become more and more important. I'd love someone to take over who could set up a genuine pathway for us there.

Those personally are my criteria. As I've said before I wouldn't personally be looking at non-league managers right now. One possibility would be to give it to someone experienced on a contract until the end of the season and then look to make another long-term appointment in the summer.

Of the names mentioned so far, I personally like Cook, Flynn and Duff.

Bungle,  The Great Graham Carr came from non league as did most of his players and he didn't do so bad.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 16:28:18 pm by Deepcut Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

if you hate peterborough clap your hands and Fxxk off poxford.
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #198 on: February 16, 2021, 16:29:33 pm »

Bungle,  The Great Graham Carr came from non league as did most of his players and he didn't do so bad.

But as Bungle said, he would feel differently if we were in League Two.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #199 on: February 16, 2021, 17:11:54 pm »

The issue with JB is that if he takes it on a permanent basis, what happens when it doesn't go as planned?
He's then out of both a managerial and more than likely the Youth coach job, he might be settled in the area and content to be doing what he is currently.
He is a teacher at Wooton primary school.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 46   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: