The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 11:49:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

New Manager

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 46   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Manager  (Read 53707 times)
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #640 on: February 28, 2021, 11:09:13 am »

My problem is I never know when folks on here are being serious or they’re just having a giggle.

Are you really telling me that Eddie Howes 11 years as a player and 12 years as a manager with the same club makes him an example that loyalty doesn’t work? Just to clarify, he took Bournemouth from bottom of Div 2 to an established Premier league team and was named the English manager of the decade. His brief episode at Burnley didn’t work as he couldn’t settle and his wife and family stayed at Poole.
If we do want a Eddie Howe then yes I do think the Brady Bunch is the closest thing we have. However if we we want another 5 years of boom and bust then being on the next one ...

So if you don’t want us to find an Eddie Howe can you please give me your perfect (but realistic) managerial choice for the next 5 years? Thank you.

Up the Cobblers!

For us to find the new Eddie Howe, we would also have to give him a Russian Billionaires cheque book, allowing him to lost 10-20-30 million quid each season as we go up the leagues. Just saying!
Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #641 on: February 28, 2021, 11:25:19 am »

I think with those that think we will be relegated (including myself) it is just a pragmatic appraisal based on the ability of the squad, I would love to be proved wrong but it’s just trying to give an honest unbiased opinion on our situation.

Don’t see why Tisdale wouldn’t come here, failed at MK, was a disaster at Bristol Rovers, even had a brief stint playing for the club.
Win percentage in the 40s and Milton Kenyes, and likes to get the ball down and play it. Don't know what wrong at Bristol Rovers though.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #642 on: February 28, 2021, 11:41:14 am »

You have a fixation/distorted view of the 'remarkable job' that Sol Campbell did at Macclesfield...the stories behind the headlines were/are:
Despite the club struggling to pay player/staff wages, he complained because he couldn't take them on mid and pre-season overseas tours.
He also complained because they couldn't afford to stay in hotels prior to matches.
His methods in the dressing room got to a stage where he was banned from the dressing room and also from having an active role in training, by the players.
The player were selecting the teams to save themselves from relegation, without his input.
He wasn't paid his very over inflated wages like the players, because of the financial situation of the club, however he was demanding that the club be closed down because HE was owed £180,000.
Irrespective of his allegations about our club, I do not want him near our club.
Sol has serious issue inside his head, spurs fans had a song about him I can still hear it in my head, Sol Sol wherever you may be ...............
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #643 on: February 28, 2021, 11:42:06 am »

Duff from Cheltenham has been mentioned on here several times but why would he leave a team with an excellent chance of promotion to come here.The same goes for any other division 2 manager in a similar position.
Report Spam   Logged
crazycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #644 on: February 28, 2021, 12:11:32 pm »

My problem is I never know when folks on here are being serious or they’re just having a giggle.

Are you really telling me that Eddie Howes 11 years as a player and 12 years as a manager with the same club makes him an example that loyalty doesn’t work? Just to clarify, he took Bournemouth from bottom of Div 2 to an established Premier league team and was named the English manager of the decade. His brief episode at Burnley didn’t work as he couldn’t settle and his wife and family stayed at Poole.
If we do want a Eddie Howe then yes I do think the Brady Bunch is the closest thing we have. However if we we want another 5 years of boom and bust then being on the next one ...

So if you don’t want us to find an Eddie Howe can you please give me your perfect (but realistic) managerial choice for the next 5 years? Thank you.

Up the Cobblers!

I didn’t say loyalty doesn’t work I said managers will often jump ship if a better offer is on the table because they have ambitions just like everyone else. Eddie Howe did exactly that. I haven’t seen anything to suggest Jon Brady deserves to be given a 5 year project. Have you? Also, not sure if you’re aware but ‘doing a Bournemouth’ requires more than just a good manager.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #645 on: February 28, 2021, 12:13:54 pm »

Fair enough. Just out of interest, as you’ve already accepted relegation do you not then think someone like Tisdale would be a good appointment? Someone who has a good track record in League Two. Or do you just think stick with Brady until the end of the season or give him a longer contract as some have suggested?
I would stick with Brady on a short term contract until the financial outlook is clearer? As I have said before there are many on here that have brought season tickets and the like and I fully understand why that strategy would be unacceptable for a number of them. It’s a real dilemma? I still believe that there will be significant financial consequences for football regarding Covid, so perspectives may change as time goes on?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #646 on: February 28, 2021, 12:19:44 pm »

Pretty pathetic response from many of you on here. Roll over and die stuff. Embarrassing.

The last person I remember suggesting we merely accept relegation this early, and that what was needed was to clear out “the deadwood” and start to build for a successful season in the division below was the absolutely disastrous Martin Wilkinson.

If memory serves me right, we finished rock bottom, he was sacked six months later and it took us another three season to get back up. And that was when we were spending money.

The situation is bleak, but far from over. As bad as it looks, it is always much easier to stay up than to get up.

Personally I think most people views are spot on. I would love subscribe to your genuinely optimistic view. But I just can't see the facts to back it up.

Our promotion was hardly off the back of a world beating team or performances. Looking at the squad, whether we hoof it or try to play attractive football, there just is isn’t the quality to stay in this league. In fact, I’m not sure it’s even remotely a half decent league two side.

For quite some time, I have commented on here about the need to stay in this league. In terms of season ticket renewals and morale I believe it is pivotal. I was saying this way before the transfer deadline. However, KT persisted with KC and the failing tactics, so now there is a price to pay. I am a raging optimist. But (please let me be wrong) we are down. I really wish I could see past that as our inevitable fate.
Report Spam   Logged
Vince Planner

View Profile
Poll Voter Level 5 Combination
« Reply #647 on: February 28, 2021, 12:32:43 pm »

I think we need a new goalkeeper and centre forward, more than we need a new manager.
Report Spam   Logged
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #648 on: February 28, 2021, 13:19:03 pm »

I think we need a new goalkeeper and centre forward, more than we need a new manager.

+1
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #649 on: February 28, 2021, 13:25:27 pm »

I didn’t say loyalty doesn’t work I said managers will often jump ship if a better offer is on the table because they have ambitions just like everyone else. Eddie Howe did exactly that. I haven’t seen anything to suggest Jon Brady deserves to be given a 5 year project. Have you? Also, not sure if you’re aware but ‘doing a Bournemouth’ requires more than just a good manager.

Yep Crazy, you’re right “doing a Bournemouth” needs more than a competent and committed manager but it’s not a bad place to start. I think we understand each other’s POV- doesn’t mean we’ve  got to agree though!

One piece of the jigsaw missing though - who do YOU want at the helm? You are clearly not a fan of Brady and seem to want another Wilder. Have you seen one amongst the folks being put forward for the vacancy?
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
crazycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #650 on: February 28, 2021, 13:48:05 pm »

Yep Crazy, you’re right “doing a Bournemouth” needs more than a competent and committed manager but it’s not a bad place to start. I think we understand each other’s POV- doesn’t mean we’ve  got to agree though!

One piece of the jigsaw missing though - who do YOU want at the helm? You are clearly not a fan of Brady and seem to want another Wilder. Have you seen one amongst the folks being put forward for the vacancy?

What have you seen that makes you think Brady is competent at this level? The 2 points from 5 games? I don’t have anything against Brady I just don’t understand what you’ve seen to suggest he is the man to entrust with a 5 year project  Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #651 on: February 28, 2021, 14:24:35 pm »

Duff from Cheltenham has been mentioned on here several times but why would he leave a team with an excellent chance of promotion to come here.The same goes for any other division 2 manager in a similar position.

Stranger things have happened. Wilder joined us when were at the bottom of L2 and Oxford were towards the top. Graham Coughlan dropped down a division to move from Bristol Rovers (midtable in L1) to Mansfield (didn't exactly work out very well, but the point stands).

If we went for a candidate like that it would involve selling a long-term vision for the club which was above and beyond the potential of their current roles.

Do I think KT will take this option? No, probably not due to the financial implications of paying compensation. On the other hand, he might look back at the precedent of Wilder and conclude that it would be worth a shot.
Report Spam   Logged
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #652 on: February 28, 2021, 14:29:15 pm »

Stranger things have happened. Wilder joined us when were at the bottom of L2 and Oxford were towards the top. Graham Coughlan dropped down a division to move from Bristol Rovers (midtable in L1) to Mansfield (didn't exactly work out very well, but the point stands).

There's usually a reason behind these moves, I recon Wilder knew his Oxford contract wasn't being renewed and Coughlan lived reasonable local to Mansfield
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #653 on: February 28, 2021, 14:47:48 pm »

There's sinking ships and then there is the Titanic going down after hitting the wasted January window iceberg.
We were in a far worse situation when Wilder joined us than today...obviously!
Excuse the pun, but your post holds no water whatsoever!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #654 on: February 28, 2021, 15:08:25 pm »

There has been a lot of doomsday talk after the Swindon game. What would be the reaction on here for a win against Plymouth? That would need a few on here to re-adjust opinions particularly if a win took us out of the bottom 4. Maybe unlikely ....... Amongst all the doom and gloom it might help if we kept our heads up?
Hamster it’s easy to understand your comments but for the sake of those who hope for some improvement it may help morale if you remain pragmatic but err a bit more on the positive side. Not sure if have put this well or very clearly Cool . A friend of mine on the Landrover Forum adopted a different id to his ‘official one’ so that he could make independent comments. Seems to work ok!
This is merely a proposal and absolutely not a criticism.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #655 on: February 28, 2021, 15:36:50 pm »

Seeing as the penny still hasn't dropped for most, here it is spelled out clearly...

We are a L2 club who occasionally flirt with with the division above but never for very long....

We've hardly ever had more than a pot to pi$$ in....

We've had re-elections, a lucky escape from dropping out the league, bucket collections and a serious fraud amongst our darkest moments. We've had to field youth teams to get through a season....

Apart from one spell in the sun before I was born, we've never been anything other than slightly below to well below average. Carr's side flirted with the play-offs and Atkins almost made it but we blew up both times.

So it always mystifies me where peoples unrealistic (if not unreasonable) expectations come that we could - no should, be aiming to be an established Championship side.

Unless we find the end of a rainbow somewhere it's just not going to happen. To stay up and dare I say, get promoted from L1 the squad needs serious investment. Yes, we would of course benefit from a quality manager but again, you need the dough not just to employ one but to make the kind of promises you'd need to make in order to attract one here.

So basically, it's pot luck, spin the manager merry-go-round, cross your fingers, win the wishbone, whatever.

But none of that will happen under the current leadership which is apathetic to the point non-existence.

Sorry to trash anyones dreams (I do actually dream of us playing in the Championship, in a decent stadium but accept it'll likely never happen in my lifetime) or sound defeatist.

This is just our circle of life. If we do go down, accept it, accept we'll probably luck out and get promoted again in another 5 or 6 years, then do this all over again. We can't control it so why fret over it
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #656 on: February 28, 2021, 15:49:54 pm »

There has been a lot of doomsday talk after the Swindon game. What would be the reaction on here for a win against Plymouth? That would need a few on here to re-adjust opinions particularly if a win took us out of the bottom 4. Maybe unlikely ....... Amongst all the doom and gloom it might help if we kept our heads up?
Hamster it’s easy to understand your comments but for the sake of those who hope for some improvement it may help morale if you remain pragmatic but err a bit more on the positive side. Not sure if have put this well or very clearly Cool . A friend of mine on the Landrover Forum adopted a different id to his ‘official one’ so that he could make independent comments. Seems to work ok!

Why?
 Is it not clear enough to be able to determine when we post as "An Administrator" and when we post our own personal opinion? We are not representing or influenced by NTFC in either capacity.
The very few times that I post as an Administrator, it is very clear. At all other times, it is my own personal opinion.
Unlike yourself, who regularly posts as if you were/are an administrator?
Maybe the educational standard of the the "Land Rover forum" isn't at the level that I would imagine? Or is the number of 'troublemakers' on there at an unmanageable level?
Continue to concentrate on posting your own opinion, leave the Administrating of this board to those who are charged with that function.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #657 on: February 28, 2021, 16:03:39 pm »

If only the power of belief could indeed affect results....

Of course there is "doomsday talk" after another defeat against a fellow struggler and another lead thrown away for the second Saturday running. It's hard to maintain any belief when we are as pi$$ poor as we currently are. Curle assembled a poor squad and whoever, Brady or another journeyman manager, has to now work with it. I don't envy them the task.

You are entitled to your opinion but if it's substance revolves around thinking good thoughts and hoping the fairies hear you and lend a hand, then you're going to cop some flak.

And if you want to lambast the realists who can actually see further than the end of there nose by seeing the $hit we're in, then you may cop some flak for that too.

Feels like you just enjoy taking an opposite stance on whatever the hot topic is....
Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #658 on: February 28, 2021, 16:04:32 pm »

Seeing as the penny still hasn't dropped for most, here it is spelled out clearly...

We are a L2 club who occasionally flirt with with the division above but never for very long....

We've had re-elections, a lucky escape from dropping out the league, bucket collections and a serious fraud amongst our darkest moments. We've had to field youth teams to get through a season....

Apart from one spell in the sun before I was born, we've never been anything other than slightly below to well below average. Carr's side flirted with the play-offs and Atkins almost made it but we blew up both times.

So it always mystifies me where peoples unrealistic (if not unreasonable) expectations come that we could - no should, be aiming to be an established Championship side.

Unless we find the end of a rainbow somewhere it's just not going to happen. To stay up and dare I say, get promoted from L1 the squad needs serious investment. Yes, we would of course benefit from a quality manager but again, you need the dough not just to employ one but to make the kind of promises you'd need to make in order to attract one here.

So basically, it's pot luck, spin the manager merry-go-round, cross your fingers, win the wishbone, whatever.

But none of that will happen under the current leadership which is apathetic to the point non-existence.

Sorry to trash anyones dreams (I do actually dream of us playing in the Championship, in a decent stadium but accept it'll likely never happen in my lifetime) or sound defeatist.

This is just our circle of life. If we do go down, accept it, accept we'll probably luck out and get promoted again in another 5 or 6 years, then do this all over again. We can't control it so why fret over it

All good stuff and makes you wonder why people are claiming this is the worst team they've ever seem. It seems pretty average considering the last God knows how many years.
Of course we'd all like to cement a place in League 1 and perhaps go for the Championship, but that hasn't happened since the Atkins days and we soon got rid of him when it started to go a bit pear shaped.
For what it's worth my opinion is that we aren't going to break this cycle until we get some stability. The club is never going to attract the best players in the lower League pool and that's because our record shows they are likely to be playing in League 2 with the danger of flirting with dropping out of the league altogether.
The same applies to managers thinking about the job, we can hardly claim to be loyal, sacking previous ones as soon as results take a dip. Of course someone will take the job but I bet the contract will have plenty of clauses about compensation considering our record with previous managers.
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #659 on: February 28, 2021, 16:58:26 pm »

That’s a completely fair summary.

What I find frustrating, is this constant we are a “sleeping giant” mentality. Nothing, absolutely nothing will change unless a significant investment is realised. The support is so polarised by nothing more than a pipe dream. I don’t lack a vision for the club, nor do I write off the future. But those that talk about community models and fan ownership etc, have not a shred of evidence that can point at a single club that has advance far beyond us in that mould.

So I shall continue in the same practical and realistic vein as I always have. Continue to hope for a miracle, but in the meantime, continue to love the Cobblers.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... 46   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: