The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 10:35:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

New Manager

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Manager  (Read 53703 times)
Manwork04

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #820 on: March 09, 2021, 11:46:18 am »

He is their 8th manager since 2018.
That must be some sort of record?
The EFL needs to take some responsibility as well, as we like linearising things on here that’s a new manager every 3 months 😱 for over 2 years.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #821 on: March 09, 2021, 12:45:54 pm »

That must be some sort of record?
The EFL needs to take some responsibility as well, as we like linearising things on here that’s a new manager every 3 months  for over 2 years.

Why? Are they responsible for clubs hiring shít managers?
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: March 09, 2021, 13:41:05 pm »

Why? Are they responsible for clubs hiring shít managers?
Does 8 managers in 2 years sound like a “fit and proper “ owner to you?
It’s absolutely ridiculous and yes the EFL has a duty of care to protect the credibility of the league, I’m just amazed that OAFC are still in business and in the football league.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #823 on: March 09, 2021, 14:57:42 pm »

It sounds like a fit and proper owner who is obviously prepared to take the financial risk by changing managers when he realises he's made a mistake, that ain't gonna be cheap.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3429

« Reply #824 on: March 09, 2021, 15:55:21 pm »

He is their 8th manager since 2018.

Where has it got them exactly?

About time we pulled our heads out of the sand and finally realised this managerial musical chairs is basically madness. We hire any "known" manager on the circuit and as soon as he's "rescued" us they'll be onto the first larger club that sniffs. Wilder was not sipping the champagne on the victory parade for our success, it was because he was busy masterminding his dream job move. Charlton were mere pawns in the game.

In reality we're a third, fourth tier club, JB stated he believed we are a league one club and Jon, Marc and Ian know only too well what's needed at this level to succeed, we don't need ex-internationals looking for an ego boost or up-coming keen managers looking for a springboard to the Championship or beyond.

What we need are some top professionals with a desire for coaching and developing players with superb contacts at every level of the game, who know the county and live and breathe the same passion for the club as we do. That's the Brady bunch!

Given the chance I firmly believe this trio could reshape the club and reach out even further to the grass roots football in the county. They could certainly maintain a competitive league one club at the top and maybe a little more. Morton went to Lincoln to develop not scrap for more punts into space, these could deliver that football philosophy.

Time for a real change in approach, give them a full-time stable job not a contract, these guys won't be off to a "big" club with the first promotion and there would be no more flirting with disaster when the wheels fall off during another managerial meltdown.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #825 on: March 09, 2021, 16:11:16 pm »

Norwich have had 4 in the last 6 years. They sit 1st.

Watford have had 11 in about 5.5 years. They sit 2nd

Swansea have had 10 in the last 6 years. They sit 3rd.

Brentford have had 5 in the last 6 years. They sit 4th.

Reading have had 9 in the last 6 years. They sit 5th.

Barnsley have had 9 in the last 6 years. They sit 6th.

Sorry, bit bored. I've done this before!  It drives me insane when people on social media or online, bleat about how crap our management recruitment has been over the years. Just take a look at other clubs. Its the same everywhere. Hire and fire until you get lucky. There's a good little pool of clubs above, some with money, some without. Some you'd expect to be up there, others less so.

A lot of fans think they can find a winning formula with relative ease, recruit the right chap...and away you go. It doesn't bloody work like that in the real world!!  Grin Grin

Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #826 on: March 14, 2021, 18:02:34 pm »

Norwich have had 4 in the last 6 years. They sit 1st.

Watford have had 11 in about 5.5 years. They sit 2nd

Swansea have had 10 in the last 6 years. They sit 3rd.

Brentford have had 5 in the last 6 years. They sit 4th.

Reading have had 9 in the last 6 years. They sit 5th.

Barnsley have had 9 in the last 6 years. They sit 6th.

Sorry, bit bored. I've done this before!  It drives me insane when people on social media or online, bleat about how crap our management recruitment has been over the years. Just take a look at other clubs. Its the same everywhere. Hire and fire until you get lucky. There's a good little pool of clubs above, some with money, some without. Some you'd expect to be up there, others less so.

A lot of fans think they can find a winning formula with relative ease, recruit the right chap...and away you go. It doesn't bloody work like that in the real world!!  Grin Grin

I reckon you could give the same number of clubs that have hired and fired sitting at the bottom of their respective leagues.
There's been plenty of academic and statistical papers that show the idea that a manager can seriously influence a club's performance is a complete myth and yet people still cling on to that belief. Why on earth would a club take on a manager that has apparently failed badly at a previous club? Drilling is right about rolling the dice but the reality is that if you stick with the same manager he is more likely to get better results than his replacement. Why? Because sticking with the same chap means there is more money in the pot for players and there's no need for a clear out by the new guy to justify his appointment. The new manager bounce has been statistically disproved so often and for so long it's depressing that it's still trotted out.

Assuming you have a manger that's completed the FA courses there's essentially two factors alone that determine a club's success and that's money and injury. If you've got plenty of money for player budget then you will succeed. If you get a lot of injuries then you are likely not to succeed as well as your budget would normally indicate.
There is a third element that's hardly ever discussed and that's luck. Research has also shown there is an incredible amount of luck involved in a single football match and with two teams in the same league it's over 90%. That's why the table looks askew at the start of the season but when the luck is evened out the richer teams percolate to the top. It's also why it's daft to apply long term policies to single games. A team could easily have won or lost, not because of tactics but sheer luck. It's surprising that luck is never discussed post match because it's practically always the biggest factor in a game. I've hardly ever heard a manager say they've won or lost a game because of luck but that's generally the reason. Perhaps it undermines their position.

Managers have all taken the same extensive courses and anyone that has been on the coaches levels 3, 4 and above will appreciate just how detailed they are. Anyone that has passed them all is perfectly capable of managing a professional league club even to the highest level.
Let's face it, football is not that hard, after all many people on here with no qualifications at all are able to see what the manager is clearly missing. It would be interesting if a heart surgeon had to endure the same criticism "The idiot went for the left ventricle when we could all see it was the right aorta giving the problems" Fergie was classed a genius for simply pointing at his watch during injury time.

What's the conclusion? I hear you all shout. The answer is simple: Love the manager you are with and he will bring you success.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #827 on: March 14, 2021, 19:02:44 pm »

I reckon you could give the same number of clubs that have hired and fired sitting at the bottom of their respective leagues.
There's been plenty of academic and statistical papers that show the idea that a manager can seriously influence a club's performance is a complete myth and yet people still cling on to that belief. Why on earth would a club take on a manager that has apparently failed badly at a previous club? Drilling is right about rolling the dice but the reality is that if you stick with the same manager he is more likely to get better results than his replacement. Why? Because sticking with the same chap means there is more money in the pot for players and there's no need for a clear out by the new guy to justify his appointment. The new manager bounce has been statistically disproved so often and for so long it's depressing that it's still trotted out.

Assuming you have a manger that's completed the FA courses there's essentially two factors alone that determine a club's success and that's money and injury. If you've got plenty of money for player budget then you will succeed. If you get a lot of injuries then you are likely not to succeed as well as your budget would normally indicate.
There is a third element that's hardly ever discussed and that's luck. Research has also shown there is an incredible amount of luck involved in a single football match and with two teams in the same league it's over 90%. That's why the table looks askew at the start of the season but when the luck is evened out the richer teams percolate to the top. It's also why it's daft to apply long term policies to single games. A team could easily have won or lost, not because of tactics but sheer luck. It's surprising that luck is never discussed post match because it's practically always the biggest factor in a game. I've hardly ever heard a manager say they've won or lost a game because of luck but that's generally the reason. Perhaps it undermines their position.

Managers have all taken the same extensive courses and anyone that has been on the coaches levels 3, 4 and above will appreciate just how detailed they are. Anyone that has passed them all is perfectly capable of managing a professional league club even to the highest level.
Let's face it, football is not that hard, after all many people on here with no qualifications at all are able to see what the manager is clearly missing. It would be interesting if a heart surgeon had to endure the same criticism "The idiot went for the left ventricle when we could all see it was the right aorta giving the problems" Fergie was classed a genius for simply pointing at his watch during injury time.

What's the conclusion? I hear you all shout. The answer is simple: Love the manager you are with and he will bring you success.

Good piece by you Larry, the trouble is that many of us stuck by Keith until it was almost too late. Something had to give!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #828 on: March 14, 2021, 20:25:33 pm »

Good piece by you Larry, the trouble is that many of us stuck by Keith until it was almost too late. Something had to give!

Following my argument correctly we would still be managed by Rob Page as the successor to Chris Wilder, the last manager who voluntarily left.
Given where we are I would argue that it doesn't make any difference if it's Curle or Brady. Both are competent managers playing against other clubs also with competent managers, so the results to the end of this season are more to do with luck than anything else.
Fingers crossed!
Report Spam   Logged
Air-Dan

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #829 on: March 14, 2021, 23:10:58 pm »

Following my argument correctly we would still be managed by Rob Page as the successor to Chris Wilder, the last manager who voluntarily left.
Given where we are I would argue that it doesn't make any difference if it's Curle or Brady. Both are competent managers playing against other clubs also with competent managers, so the results to the end of this season are more to do with luck than anything else.
Fingers crossed!

Curle's football was utterly dreadful to watch though - something your theory doesn't take into account.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3429

« Reply #830 on: March 15, 2021, 04:09:55 am »

I reckon you could give the same number of clubs that have hired and fired sitting at the bottom of their respective leagues.....

I hope poor Drilling doesn't have another meltdown with us having the audacity to express opinions on here but here goes! There are some great points here from Larry.

Today we can add Kenny Jackets name to the game of "musical managers." We've had all the usual suspects parroted out on here since KCs departure, as we always do every few years. Big names, upcoming names and left-field suggestions from the ponderous.

When it comes to some of the posters here, I'm a relative newcomer to watching the Cobblers as I've only been going since 1981 but I cant remember the club ever being in this position before with having such a strong and well organised back room set up and academy so dedicated to the club and the town.

KT deserves a lot of credit for quietly assembling this in the background and now I hope he can be bold enough to reap the rewards.

The odds are, and despite JB's best attempts with these players, we'll probably go down this season. I hope with every sinew we don't but maybe the forty odd years of supporting us are taking their toll!

We've flirted with some amazing times but almost immediately after every success has come bitter disappointment with the platform of that success disassembled as fast as a travelling fair ground.

Ray Warburton is now helping out and this is no dewy eyed perspective of players past but the characters now in place at the club, JB, Ian, Marc and Ray not only study the game but are capable of creating desire, heart and belief.

Whatever happens this season, in my own opinion, the biggest loss to this club would not to allow JB and his team time to build a team and I would go further mould the club. If we hit the panic button and appoint another out of town [cut paste from sack race] standard reply, "one game at a time" etc blah blah career manager, we would possibly have lost the opportunity of a lifetime.

We're not a huge club with obscenely wealthy foreign owners striving for instant success or a quick buck, and thank fuck for that. Time to follow a Crewe (plus) philosophy not the Oldham or Watford example.

I would rather have Premiership clubs knocking on our door to blood their youngsters with ours, knowing they are in good hands, rather than ripping them away to join a more progressive club as what happened with Morton.

Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #831 on: March 15, 2021, 08:52:30 am »

Fingers crossed!

I’m not sure I agree with that. Firstly KC was very stubborn he pretty much had one formation and one style of playing, this worked well at the end of large season when we had the players to bully opposition teams with these tactics. This season we assembled a squad that was not only weak but didn’t remotely have the attributes to play in the KC way meaning he couldn’t get the best out of what we did have. Secondly your theory seems to suggests players will give there best no matter what and are equally motivated, from the outside our moral seems higher under Brady.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #832 on: March 15, 2021, 10:52:38 am »

No meltdeyn!  Cheesy

As we sit today, cant disagree with any of this. Its worth a go. But ultimately, and God forbid, we do go down and follow it up with a Austin style start next season (22nd after 10 games), they wont survive! That's my point mate. All good plans get ripped to shreds when the team does badly. That's for a number of reasons. Falling attendances, vocal fan pressure at games creating a toxic attitude, discontentment in the dressing room (you get factions when the team is doing crap, thats just the way it is)...

Unless the team implodes in the last 11 games, and it doesn't look like it will, then Brady and co will and should be here for the start of next season. They have brought a positive and upbeat attitude to proceedings and its becoming infectious. I think they do have it in them, I wasn't sure (far from it) at the start of their tenure, but they've won me round for now. Like many others, Im enjoying watching the games and its been startling to see that our players can actually play football at this standard. We look two decent attackers away from being a very decent league1 team.

I hope poor Drilling doesn't have another meltdown with us having the audacity to express opinions on here but here goes! There are some great points here from Larry.

Today we can add Kenny Jackets name to the game of "musical managers." We've had all the usual suspects parroted out on here since KCs departure, as we always do every few years. Big names, upcoming names and left-field suggestions from the ponderous.

When it comes to some of the posters here, I'm a relative newcomer to watching the Cobblers as I've only been going since 1981 but I cant remember the club ever being in this position before with having such a strong and well organised back room set up and academy so dedicated to the club and the town.

KT deserves a lot of credit for quietly assembling this in the background and now I hope he can be bold enough to reap the rewards.

The odds are, and despite JB's best attempts with these players, we'll probably go down this season. I hope with every sinew we don't but maybe the forty odd years of supporting us are taking their toll!

We've flirted with some amazing times but almost immediately after every success has come bitter disappointment with the platform of that success disassembled as fast as a travelling fair ground.

Ray Warburton is now helping out and this is no dewy eyed perspective of players past but the characters now in place at the club, JB, Ian, Marc and Ray not only study the game but are capable of creating desire, heart and belief.

Whatever happens this season, in my own opinion, the biggest loss to this club would not to allow JB and his team time to build a team and I would go further mould the club. If we hit the panic button and appoint another out of town [cut paste from sack race] standard reply, "one game at a time" etc blah blah career manager, we would possibly have lost the opportunity of a lifetime.

We're not a huge club with obscenely wealthy foreign owners striving for instant success or a quick buck, and thank fuck for that. Time to follow a Crewe (plus) philosophy not the Oldham or Watford example.

I would rather have Premiership clubs knocking on our door to blood their youngsters with ours, knowing they are in good hands, rather than ripping them away to join a more progressive club as what happened with Morton.

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #833 on: March 15, 2021, 11:41:15 am »

When it comes to some of the posters here, I'm a relative newcomer to watching the Cobblers ...........

We've flirted with some amazing times but almost immediately after every success has come bitter disappointment.....

A somewhat confused parody of comments straddling several personal opinions with no particular objective. You do make some good points on Jon Brady and co. What JB has proved is that by his coaching style has proved that we can compete with sone of the better teams in League 1. An example of your muddled thinking , for all to see is in para 5 (in original message) you clearly feel we will be relegated. Would have thought that your para 5 comment would disappoint Brady?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 14:12:27 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #834 on: March 15, 2021, 11:42:53 am »

It seems as though the club my have realised that the supporters, whilst wanting to win would also like the team to play with some style. We can all be grateful to Curley for a promotion but going forward we want the team to be generally easy on the eye.

I'm fully behind the Brady bunch at present and desperate for us to survive in League 1 ready to move onwards and upwards, instead of having to start again in League 2. Whoever is in charge long term let's hope they can forge a playing identity that is widely recognised throughout the leagues.

Listening to the Doncaster home commentary on Saturday "Northampton are a big physical side, two big centre backs and a big lad up front, there'll be no fancy stuff they will get it back to front as quickly as possible, it won't be pretty" Donny also had two big centre backs and a big lad up front but are considered a stylish footballing side. We hear these comments about out style week after week and it may take some time for JB or a new man to change our image, but we definitely need a new philosophy.

Arguments about land deals/grabs aside the club appears to be as well run as I can remember with all the community work and the youth and academy set up.

We now have a chance to develop a new identity for the first team, we will all need to be patient and hold our nerve.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #835 on: March 15, 2021, 12:00:13 pm »

Curle's football was utterly dreadful to watch though - something your theory doesn't take into account.

Not all of the games ; I can recall at least 10 games where the style was impressive. Why do you omit this factor in your argument?
Report Spam   Logged

LawfordCob

View Profile
Level 4 Fifth year Anniversary Combination
« Reply #836 on: March 15, 2021, 12:32:29 pm »

Not all of the games ; I can recall at least 10 games where the style was impressive. Why do you omit this factor in your argument?

Quite possibly because it wasn't worth it. 10 out of 100+ games doesn't really disprove the post.
Report Spam   Logged
Horsham Cobbler

"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look"

View Profile
500 Posts Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #837 on: March 15, 2021, 12:41:25 pm »

As we all know, Chris Wilder is a more than competent manager but I don't think you can attribute the Blades' current predicament as being luck-based.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 15, 2021, 13:27:14 pm »

As we all know, Chris Wilder is a more than competent manager but I don't think you can attribute the Blades' current predicament as being luck-based.
Larry talks bollox and passes it off as fact.
Next thing he’ll be claiming Burtons upturn in form is also luck.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 15, 2021, 13:31:45 pm »

Quite possibly because it wasn't worth it. 10 out of 100+ games doesn't really disprove the post.

My point was and still is that Air-Dan’s comment was totally one sided. The play off games alone was worth 100+ poor games. Most supporters seemed happy at the time to forgive and forget? Of course there was more than ten games particularly those won!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: