The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 20:43:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

New Manager

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Manager  (Read 53750 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #840 on: March 15, 2021, 13:41:11 pm »

No more of an agenda than some did at Curle. If you can't see the double standards then you're a bloody idiot.

Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
LawfordCob

View Profile
Level 4 Fifth year Anniversary Combination
« Reply #841 on: March 15, 2021, 13:50:40 pm »

My point was and still is that Air-Dan’s comment was totally one sided. The play off games alone was worth 100+ poor games. Most supporters seemed happy at the time to forgive and forget? Of course there was more than ten games particularly those won!

Not so sure about the forgive and forget. Personally, I was more than happy with the play offs. I was hopeful that the performances would continue. But, let's be honest, the bad was seriously outweighing the good.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 15, 2021, 13:55:15 pm »

As we all know, Chris Wilder is a more than competent manager but I don't think you can attribute the Blades' current predicament as being luck-based.

I thought that Wilder suffered quite a few calls to ‘sack him’ on here due to style of play! Roll back to the Tranmere game in 2015? Perhaps he got lucky with a few of his signings?  
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 15, 2021, 14:02:47 pm »

Not so sure about the forgive and forget. Personally, I was more than happy with the play offs. I was hopeful that the performances would continue. But, let's be honest, the bad was seriously outweighing the good.

More than happy with the play offs but the preceding games outweighed the play offs? Bit contradictory but I get your point.
Report Spam   Logged

EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #844 on: March 15, 2021, 14:07:41 pm »

Larry talks bollox and passes it off as fact.
Next thing he’ll be claiming Burtons upturn in form is also luck.

An upturn in form with JFH in charge! Very Lucky Grin Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #845 on: March 15, 2021, 14:56:20 pm »

Larry talks bollox and passes it off as fact.
Next thing he’ll be claiming Burtons upturn in form is also luck.

One transfer window and about 10 signings later, he somehow made Burton from the worst team in league1 to arguably the best team in the same division.

When he did the same trick with us, he somehow made us bloody worse than we were before!!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #846 on: March 15, 2021, 19:21:21 pm »

One transfer window and about 10 signings later, he somehow made Burton from the worst team in league1 to arguably the best team in the same division.

When he did the same trick with us, he somehow made us bloody worse than we were before!!  Grin
Seems to me the riddle is perhaps in part solved by recruitment? If you are able to bring in your first choices there will usually be a better result than being forced to settle with 3rd or 4th choice players for a variety of reasons? It might come down to money, it might come down to size or location of club or it might come down to personalities involved? There may be other factors difficult to control that influence managerial performance too? So why do seemingly successful managers go to a given club, fail, and then go on to be successful elsewhere? Perhaps they suffer from multiple personality disorder? Or maybe it’s because a significant part of what influences success are random events that are beyond control? Injuries, transfer bids, refereeing decisions, even the width of a post? Perhaps the most influencing factor is the massive pressure that sometimes comes as a result of adverse random events? So it might be the case that a lack of patience, tolerance and unrealistic expectations from the support base and board members are often a significant causes of failure, it’s just a theory? God forbid we take some responsibility for it though eh?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 19:25:27 pm by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #847 on: March 15, 2021, 19:46:44 pm »

Curle's football was utterly dreadful to watch though - something your theory doesn't take into account.
Absolutely! Whatever happens at the end of the season, Brady has the Cobblers playing relatively attractive football, allowing the players to express themselves, with at least the same success rate.

I only have to briefly remember both games in Oxford, as well as the majority of the others under Curle this season, to see he had us as the laughing stock of League One with his one dimensional, negative hoof brand!
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: March 15, 2021, 19:53:50 pm »

Re Keith Curle, I read an interesting piece by Jermaine Jenas heavily criticising Jose Mourinho following the Tottenham defeat against Arsenal. Apparently Tottenham set up far too defensively against Arsenal and were too worried about what Arsenal were capable of doing to them rather than what Spurs were themselves were capable of doing to Arsenal? Sound familiar? Two things though, firstly arguably Tottenham’s most mobile and influential forward Son got injured after 19 minutes, an unforeseen random event? Secondly who remembers the hysterical fanfare and much lauded tactical brilliance bestowed on Mourinho for Inters defensive regard action in their champions league victory against Munich in 2010? If you recall Mourinho was hailed as a tactical genius from all quarters of the footballing world? The problem with being tactically defensive is that you had better win the game as a result apparently?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: March 15, 2021, 20:58:29 pm »

Re Keith Curle, I read an interesting piece by Jermaine Jenas heavily criticising Jose Mourinho following the Tottenham defeat against Arsenal. Apparently Tottenham set up far too defensively against Arsenal and were too worried about what Arsenal were capable of doing to them rather than what Spurs were themselves were capable of doing to Arsenal? Sound familiar? Two things though, firstly arguably Tottenham’s most mobile and influential forward Son got injured after 19 minutes, an unforeseen random event? Secondly who remembers the hysterical fanfare and much lauded tactical brilliance bestowed on Mourinho for Inters defensive regard action in their champions league victory against Munich in 2010? If you recall Mourinho was hailed as a tactical genius from all quarters of the footballing world? The problem with being tactically defensive is that you had better win the game as a result apparently?
The Special One's negative slanting caution is one thing...a stubborn but completely embarrassing tactic of hoofing the ball upfield, hoping someone might scamper on to it, masqueraded as 'fundementals' 'the basics' and 'having the right DNA'  is something else!

As an aside, thought KC looked a rather beaten and reticent man, during his interview post match for Oldham Athletic v Cambridge Utd!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: March 15, 2021, 21:02:30 pm »

Absolutely! Whatever happens at the end of the season, Brady has the Cobblers playing relatively attractive football, allowing the players to express themselves, with at least the same success rate.

I only have to briefly remember both games in Oxford, as well as the majority of the others under Curle this season, to see he had us as the laughing stock of League One with his one dimensional, negative hoof brand!

Playing attractive football might suit some on here but the purpose this season is to stay in L1 at all costs? Thought that Brady set up the team well last Saturday especially defensively to gain a point when most on here feared the worse including you! To play attractive football now, in our situation and insufficient quality players is well nigh impossible. Perhaps if we do remain in this league it maybe possible to recruit players capable of doing so. If we end up in L2 ... forget it! I used to think you were a realist and certainly not one of the damned 'easy on the eye' brigade ah bless!
Hope you are not influenced by those two horned devils from Oxford.
Report Spam   Logged

Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: March 15, 2021, 23:34:34 pm »

The Special One's negative slanting caution is one thing...a stubborn but completely embarrassing tactic of hoofing the ball upfield, hoping someone might scamper on to it, masqueraded as 'fundementals' 'the basics' and 'having the right DNA'  is something else!

As an aside, thought KC looked a rather beaten and reticent man, during his interview post match for Oldham Athletic v Cambridge Utd!
All true. Just pointing out that having a go and playing attractive football is less likely to draw disapproval and criticism of a manager than parking the bus? Pull it off and you are a genius, lose and you are a panic stricken fool without a backbone and very little margin in between? Out of the 2 I would still pick the former, brilliant or not the defensive tactic has too many negatives for me on quite a few levels? Perhaps the real genius is a mixture of both and knowing when to apply either?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 23:36:32 pm by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 16, 2021, 00:01:55 am »

Playing attractive football might suit some on here but the purpose this season is to stay in L1 at all costs? Thought that Brady set up the team well last Saturday especially defensively to gain a point when most on here feared the worse including you! To play attractive football now, in our situation and insufficient quality players is well nigh impossible. Perhaps if we do remain in this league it maybe possible to recruit players capable of doing so. If we end up in L2 ... forget it! I used to think you were a realist and certainly not one of the damned 'easy on the eye' brigade ah bless!
Hope you are not influenced by those two horned devils from Oxford.
You have no idea what I feared against Doncaster!
You clearly didn't get the subtle humour of my post Wilder post!
For the record, having virtually called the Pompey result correctly, I went for 1-1 at Charlton and a 0-2 at Donny...not knowing their two main strikers were sidelined!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
guest3429

« Reply #853 on: March 16, 2021, 07:19:56 am »

No meltdeyn!  Cheesy

Top man. I knew you'd take it with the humour in which it was meant!

You might not be, but I'm having one!  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
guest3429

« Reply #854 on: March 16, 2021, 07:41:23 am »

I also see suggestions online that Kevin Wilkin is possibly being considered to join the gang?

I'm not sure in what role or how well he gets on with JB, but if he has a good working relationship with Jon, Sammo and Marc and will clearly have ideas and experience, why not!

Personally I find it an exciting prospect to have all these claret blooded and top people working throughout the club.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #855 on: March 16, 2021, 07:43:35 am »

I also see suggestions online that Kevin Wilkin is possibly being considered to join the gang?

I'm not sure in what role or how well he gets on with JB, but if he has a good working relationship with Jon, Sammo and Marc and will clearly have ideas and experience, why not!

Personally I find it an exciting prospect to have all these claret blooded and top people working throughout the club.

If they've still got their boots and shin pads, we might be able to get them on the field... Grin
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Horsham Cobbler

"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look"

View Profile
500 Posts Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #856 on: March 16, 2021, 07:59:29 am »

Too many cooks spoil the broth ??!!
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #857 on: March 16, 2021, 08:19:38 am »

i very much doubt this !
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #858 on: March 16, 2021, 10:49:44 am »

Too many cooks spoil the broth ??!!
Soon we’ll be able to man to man mark the players with coaches and managers.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #859 on: March 16, 2021, 12:05:33 pm »

As we all know, Chris Wilder is a more than competent manager but I don't think you can attribute the Blades' current predicament as being luck-based.

Sheffield Utd is a really good example. They were favourites to be relegated in their first season largely because of their low budget. They had few injuries to their key players, a slice of luck in their first season and did really well.
In this season they've had a lot of injuries and their luck has rather deserted them losing quite a few games by the odd goal.
It's the same competent management team but they have been undone by lack of budget, injuries and poor luck. Just ask Chris Wilder.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: