The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 23:15:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Questions for JB, Sammo and Rico.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions for JB, Sammo and Rico.  (Read 3105 times)
guest3429

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2021, 14:29:44 pm »

Who would you appoint as manager?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3429

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2021, 15:48:11 pm »

I always think 'favourite aircraft' reveals a lot about the character. I have always had a soft spot for the Vought F4U Corsair, mainly for the inverted gull wing shape.

I like a black box.  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2021, 17:44:04 pm »

Will you drop Hoskins 😎

They took their time getting round to your question but:
https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/brady-launches-strong-defence-of-hoskins-after-forwards-goal-drought-continues-3174428
 Cool
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2021, 18:13:46 pm »

'out of everyone right now, he [Hoskins] is our most natural finisher.' John Brady.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2021, 18:27:27 pm »

'out of everyone right now, he [Hoskins] is our most natural finisher.' John Brady.
When I read that I was afflicted with the old “thousand yard stare”. Her indoors actually asked if I was ok?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2021, 19:08:19 pm »

Hoskins reminds me of me playing trying to play six a side, in my head what I'm going to do is take on the other team leaving them all in my wake, round the keeper and tap it in the empty net before lapping up the adulation of my team mates, but in reality the ball is easily taken off me and I end up running back in an ultimately failed attempt to win it back to the chorus of "for f*** sake St Eds" from the other lads.

I'm sure he works hard in training, I think he does on the pitch but whatever they're seeing in training isn't being replicated on matchday and not enough to justify being the first name on the team sheet week in week out. I've never really known what his best position is and I didn't realise he's classed as a striker.
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2021, 19:14:02 pm »

To clarify, I’m not particularly anti Hoskins. As documented, he has a great engine and is probably the hardest working player in the squad. I think he has a bigger affect on games than he is given credit for and is capable of pulling the opposition’s players all over the shop. He also has a propensity to produce rare moments of genius that wouldn’t be out of place at the Nou Camp. However, as we all know his final ball is generally poor and he coughs up possession entirely too often for my liking. But leaving all that to one side our new manager in charge till the end of the season thinks he is the most natural finisher we have? For about 3 months or so I have been clinging by my finger nails to the sheer rock face of hope. I read the comment from Brady, lost my grip and was sent hurtling into the abyss.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 22:46:29 pm by Melbourne Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2021, 20:13:42 pm »

The first line of that Chronic article says it all, “Hoskins epitomises this club” and he does as I commented on Satdy.
Unfortunately it’s for all the wrong reasons, tries hard but L2 is his glass ceiling, has little or no quality in the final third.
As for Brady saying he’s our most natural goal scorer......wow just wow, absolutely clueless, we are down.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest3338

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2021, 09:07:46 am »

Brady must think getting your shot off equates to natural goalscorer.
Either that or his refreshing honesty has quickly waned now he has the permanency of an end of season contract.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2021, 12:00:02 pm »

From the five minutes I’ve seen of him Alex Jones maybe a natural goal scorer.
How the fcuk can’t he be fit, he’s not injured and has been training with us for months?

Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest3338

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2021, 13:17:59 pm »

From the five minutes I’ve seen of him Alex Jones maybe a natural goal scorer.
How the fcuk can’t he be fit, he’s not injured and has been training with us for months?

My thoughts entirely.
I think the way the team plays (or tries to play) tonight is really important.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2021, 12:36:08 pm »

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/relieved-hoskins-answers-his-critics-and-repays-his-managers-faith-with-oxford-winner-3178091
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest49

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2021, 13:19:45 pm »

You'd hope that most players don't read social media and what gets said. Unless they have seriously large ego's, the average person wouldn't draw the curtains if they read half of the abuse that gets written. That's why so many famous people don't read anything, it would send you crazy.
Everything is just too polarised and the one thing for sure is that Sammy is definitely 'a Cobbler', who has the attributes that several managers have liked. He's never likely to be our 20 goal striker but we've not had one of those for donkey's years. He attracts far too much negative attention compared to some of the other dross we have fielded....and probably current field! He becomes the victim for our other strikers inadequacies. 
Maybe it's because he's a good looking bloke who is popular with the girlies?!

It'll always be the way though. Dave Savage was a really good (and often exciting) player but had his share of boo boys. Cornell was a perfectly good keeper and consistently received OTT criticism. We don't give any keepers much slack at all....since Peter Gleasure  Grin
To demonstrate my own bias, I thought David Seal was massively overrated but the common fan used to idolise him as though he was Messi.
JJOT demonstrated how you can have both views.
Report Spam   Logged
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2021, 16:46:06 pm »

You'd hope that most players don't read social media and what gets said. Unless they have seriously large ego's, the average person wouldn't draw the curtains if they read half of the abuse that gets written. That's why so many famous people don't read anything, it would send you crazy.
Everything is just too polarised and the one thing for sure is that Sammy is definitely 'a Cobbler', who has the attributes that several managers have liked. He's never likely to be our 20 goal striker but we've not had one of those for donkey's years. He attracts far too much negative attention compared to some of the other dross we have fielded....and probably current field! He becomes the victim for our other strikers inadequacies. 
Maybe it's because he's a good looking bloke who is popular with the girlies?!

It'll always be the way though. Dave Savage was a really good (and often exciting) player but had his share of boo boys. Cornell was a perfectly good keeper and consistently received OTT criticism. We don't give any keepers much slack at all....since Peter Gleasure  Grin
To demonstrate my own bias, I thought David Seal was massively overrated but the common fan used to idolise him as though he was Messi.
JJOT demonstrated how you can have both views.

Was with you on all of that Tone until you mentioned Cornell!
You are correct, all goalies get stick because their mistakes are so amplified but I disagree with you about Dai - he always seemed to me like he struggled with crosses and positioning - good shot stopper though!

As to Sammy, for all his faults he would have always been in my starting line up over the last couple of years. I think a lot of folks overlook his defensive qualities too.
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
guest49

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2021, 17:06:45 pm »

Was with you on all of that Tone until you mentioned Cornell!
You are correct, all goalies get stick because their mistakes are so amplified but I disagree with you about Dai - he always seemed to me like he struggled with crosses and positioning - good shot stopper though!

As to Sammy, for all his faults he would have always been in my starting line up over the last couple of years. I think a lot of folks overlook his defensive qualities too.

Keepers on crosses seems to be a recurring theme for us, either flapping or not coming out. Going way back to Gleasure, he was always nailed to his line and we've had many more since. Mitchell needs someone to tell him he's not playing as a sweeper. We also seem to hammer a keeper if his kicking isn't 100%. I always think a keeper being a good shot stopper should be a given, although some will be better than others. It's the 'fundamental' of being a keeper, any Keith will tell you that.

There aren't too many top draw keepers around, not at our level anyway and like you said all mistakes get amplified.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2021, 18:13:11 pm »

He certainly divides opinion, can be infuriating and can also provide the odd moment of magic, but no one can deny that he never fails to give his all, covers more ground than most players and can be found up front trying his best to score and occasionally succeeding, in our penalty area blocking shots and getting it away and out wide getting the odd cross in. He's been here 7 years and played 230 odd games under a plethora of managers so who's the best judge? I must admit I haven't been his biggest fan over the years but he's definately committed to the cause and if you look at other teams forums after games, if they ever have anything positive to say about us, he is frequently cited as our best player.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: