The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 20:50:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Away at the MK Dons Saturday 20/02/21

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Away at the MK Dons Saturday 20/02/21  (Read 9175 times)
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #220 on: February 21, 2021, 16:46:27 pm »

It’s just his opinion, because it does not reflect yours is poor excuse to tell him to dream on!

Who called the board Policeman......again?  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #221 on: February 21, 2021, 17:58:40 pm »

Dream on! On what basis?

On the basis that we would have played more defensively, protecting the lead we got in the second minute.
Despite what people think on here Curle understands football. He's got all the badges, played for England and captained Manchester City - anyone else on here done anything approaching that?
He decided that the best way for The Cobblers to survive in L1 was to play direct football on an uneven pitch that stifled the abilities of more talented teams. It wasn't pretty to watch but in his view it would be the best way to avoid the drop for a club with a limited budget.
It obviously didn't work out and it's now Jon Brady's job to keep us up.
I've been a season ticket holder longer than most and I desperately want us to stay in L1. I'm worried that Jon Brady will appease the fans with entertaining football but ultimately we will get relegated, rather like Dean Austin.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #222 on: February 21, 2021, 21:25:27 pm »

On the basis that we would have played more defensively, protecting the lead we got in the second minute.
Despite what people think on here Curle understands football. He's got all the badges, played for England and captained Manchester City - anyone else on here done anything approaching that?
He decided that the best way for The Cobblers to survive in L1 was to play direct football on an uneven pitch that stifled the abilities of more talented teams. It wasn't pretty to watch but in his view it would be the best way to avoid the drop for a club with a limited budget.
It obviously didn't work out and it's now Jon Brady's job to keep us up.
I've been a season ticket holder longer than most and I desperately want us to stay in L1. I'm worried that Jon Brady will appease the fans with entertaining football but ultimately we will get relegated, rather like Dean Austin.

But would we have got the lead in the second minute, we may not have started on the front foot.....!

All we can do is look at what happened, not speculate what might have happened and present that as fact.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #223 on: February 21, 2021, 23:10:14 pm »

I think it will be a pity if Jon Brady fails to get the results his front foot style deserves. As probably most of us accepts he is on a tight rope; he somehow has to get a winning result as soon as................... He also has a selection problem. He needs to learn from the MK match how to defend/protect leads. Does he go with 5 at the back or persist with four. Which may mean dropping Jones and keeping Bolger on the bench. Can he pick Edmondson who has not really contributed much? Marshall's form since his recall has been an eye opener certainly offensively. I think the midfield just about picks itself and that includes Watson. Critics of Hoskins no doubt maybe dumbfounded by his continued selection. Last not least is the goalkeeper situation; in spite of the random calls for Mitch' to be dropped it seems a bit on the harsh side. After all it may not help team confidence if JB continues with bad game sequence -  drop a player starting will Bolger and next in line is perhaps Mitchell...... so it goes on.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #224 on: February 22, 2021, 07:40:48 am »

I think it will be a pity if Jon Brady fails to get the results his front foot style deserves. As probably most of us accepts he is on a tight rope; he somehow has to get a winning result as soon as................... He also has a selection problem. He needs to learn from the MK match how to defend/protect leads. Does he go with 5 at the back or persist with four. Which may mean dropping Jones and keeping Bolger on the bench. Can he pick Edmondson who has not really contributed much? Marshall's form since his recall has been an eye opener certainly offensively. I think the midfield just about picks itself and that includes Watson. Critics of Hoskins no doubt maybe dumbfounded by his continued selection. Last not least is the goalkeeper situation; in spite of the random calls for Mitch' to be dropped it seems a bit on the harsh side. After all it may not help team confidence if JB continues with bad game sequence -  drop a player starting will Bolger and next in line is perhaps Mitchell...... so it goes on.

On a tight rope indeed, so we must tread carefully. We mustn't get too exited if we win or too down if we don't but take encouragement from improved performances. We have been in a bad place so let's at least enjoy the better football on show.
JB & Co. have improved the team but he said he is still getting to know the players and finding his best eleven. He made a small tweek replacing Bolger with Horsfall and is weighing up Rose and Edmondson up front and looking for the best balance among his midfielders. In goal the two options Mitchell and Arnold, nothing to choose between them, so good luck with that.
A new manager coming in would have to go through this same process which uses up a few more games, KT has to decide whether to stick or twist, I don't envy him.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #225 on: February 22, 2021, 07:46:30 am »

On a tight rope indeed, so we must tread carefully. We mustn't get too exited if we win or too down if we don't but take encouragement from improved performances. We have been in a bad place so let's at least enjoy the better football on show.
JB & Co. have improved the team but he said he is still getting to know the players and finding his best eleven. He made a small tweek replacing Bolger with Horsfall and is weighing up Rose and Edmondson up front and looking for the best balance among his midfielders. In goal the two options Mitchell and Arnold, nothing to choose between them, so good luck with that.
A new manager coming in would have to go through this same process which uses up a few more games, KT has to decide whether to stick or twist, I don't envy him.

If I was KT I'd offer Brady the role until the end of the season but with a couple of clauses. If we stay up it triggers an automatic extension to his contract, otherwise we review at the end of the season and it's at the clubs discretion whether they offer an extension or not. I think that's fair to both parties and gives both a degree of security.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Clint

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #226 on: February 22, 2021, 07:55:34 am »

If I was KT I'd offer Brady the role until the end of the season but with a couple of clauses. If we stay up it triggers an automatic extension to his contract, otherwise we review at the end of the season and it's at the clubs discretion whether they offer an extension or not. I think that's fair to both parties and gives both a degree of security.
Eminently sensible suggestion.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #227 on: February 22, 2021, 10:01:51 am »

If we go down, does he then go back to the U18s?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Charlatan

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #228 on: February 22, 2021, 10:11:23 am »

Agree with all this, the major problem in my mind  (like you've pointed out) is definitely the goal keepers. I think he'll have to play Arnold tomorrow (really not sure he's any better) Mitchell looked devoid of all confidence on Saturday. Which then leads to defenders on edge and then it can quickly spread through the team.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #229 on: February 22, 2021, 10:27:43 am »

If we go down, does he then go back to the U18s?

I wouldn’t be opposed to keeping him even if we go down, this squad needs a big reset and a massive overhaul, the next appointment is so important and will define the philosophy the club has in trying to go forward.
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 22, 2021, 11:00:12 am »

I wouldn’t be opposed to keeping him even if we go down, this squad needs a big reset and a massive overhaul, the next appointment is so important and will define the philosophy the club has in trying to go forward.

At this level of football the squad is overhauled most summers because half of the squad is typically out of contract.
That should allow JB or whoever is in charge to bring in the players he needs for the system he wants to play, for what ever reason that didn't happen last year.
Report Spam   Logged
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #231 on: February 22, 2021, 13:13:36 pm »

Just watched the "highlites" again, absolutely abysmal refereeing for the winning MK goal. Very debateable free kick which could have been awarded to us, not content with penalising us for a 50/50 the ref allows MK to take the kick a good 5Mts away from where the "Offence" took place  and the ball is 100% still moving. Apart from that there was nothing wrong with it !
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 22, 2021, 14:39:10 pm »

Just watched the "highlites" again, absolutely abysmal refereeing for the winning MK goal. Very debateable free kick which could have been awarded to us, not content with penalising us for a 50/50 the ref allows MK to take the kick a good 5Mts away from where the "Offence" took place  and the ball is 100% still moving. Apart from that there was nothing wrong with it !

The Curse Goes On  Evil Evil Evil
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #233 on: February 22, 2021, 14:52:02 pm »

I'm worried that Jon Brady will appease the fans with entertaining football but ultimately we will get relegated, rather like Dean Austin.

If we lose every game playing like Barcelona ultimately I don't think he'll appease the fans any more than KC did. Saturday delivered arguably the most disappointing feeling of the season.
4 or 6 points from the next two will erase that and in a few weeks we can be talking about mid-table obscurity, the East stand and ST prices.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 22, 2021, 15:55:59 pm »

It was a foul, Marshall pulled the player back.  Taking a quick free kick 'in the vicinity' is acceptable unless the official says otherwise beforehand, especially when it's not for a direct shot on goal.  The 'moving ball' is debatable because the player puts his hand on top of the ball before he kicks it. 
To be honest, having watched it, I'd be looking more to blame the experienced player who chose to argue with the official, rather than prevent the free kick being taken quickly.  Especially that late in the game and in such an attacking position.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Carton Lid

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 22, 2021, 16:31:08 pm »

Come on Deepcut, you sound like the shop assistant saying "The customer is always right even when he's wrong"  Shocked Grin

I know they can't get everything right but that was, arguably, 3 mistakes in a couple of seconds  Embarrassed 
Report Spam   Logged
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #236 on: February 22, 2021, 16:58:52 pm »

I was firmly in the camp of "Would rather watch us Lose 4-3 and have a go than watch this"

I will have to stick to my word.
Report Spam   Logged

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 22, 2021, 17:08:23 pm »

Come on Deepcut, you sound like the shop assistant saying "The customer is always right even when he's wrong"  Shocked Grin

I know they can't get everything right but that was, arguably, 3 mistakes in a couple of seconds  Embarrassed 

Right though aren't I?   Cool Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Carton Lid

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 22, 2021, 18:15:47 pm »

Right though aren't I?   Cool Wink
What, even when you're wrong?  Grin
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 18:17:33 pm by Carton Lid » Report Spam   Logged
guest3355

« Reply #239 on: February 22, 2021, 18:27:30 pm »

Free kick or not, moving ball or not, you've still got to defend it.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: