The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 08:44:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Donny away on Saturday 13.03.21

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Donny away on Saturday 13.03.21  (Read 5624 times)
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2021, 20:26:25 pm »

It's quite amazing really. Between them, including Smith, our so called strikers have scored probably about 9 or 10 league goals at the most in 35 games. Must be a world record. Andy Williams would have been a better option!!!.

Alex Jones                      1 goal      0+1 appearances
Benny Ashley-Seal          0 goals    7+13 appearances
Caleb Chukwuemeka       1 goal     1+15 appearances
Ryan Edmondson            1 goal     11+3 appearances
Ricky Korboa                  2 goals     5+9 appearances
Mikel Miller                     0 goals     7+1 appearances
Joe Nuttall                      0 goals     0+1 appearance
Danny Rose                    4 goals   17+11 appearances
Harry Smith                    3 goals   13+3 appearances
Matt Warburton               1 goal      4 appearances
Sam Hoskins                   3 goals    33+2 appearances

FRONT MEN TOTAL         16 goals    98+59 appearances
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 16:49:38 pm by GrangeParkCobbler » Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2021, 20:34:41 pm »

Its a funny old game!

I actually quite enjoyed todays game, thought we played pretty well and with a half decent striker would have won or indeed, with the current lot with some luck (Watson clearing it off the line) would have sneaked a 1-0 win.

The central striker position, what I will say is that Edmunsons hold up play as part of a front 3 is pivotal to our tactics and thats why Rose or Chuck are not getting game time (or the new lad for that matter). I do understand that, however we must have reached the point now that Brady comes to the conclusion that there are no goals in our front 3, so regardless of how well they are all individually playing, they are not actually scoring!

For me, defence and midfield is absolutely fine. But we do need to tinker with the forwards. Somehow we need to keep the current shape whilst forming a forward two which will support each other.

With the latter in mind, Id be inclined to play Edmunson down the middle again, but with Rose and Marshall either side of him. Rose coming inside where possible. Hoskins work rate is less important to us at the minute and Id bench him. Rose works bloody hard so he ticks that box. The new lad probably isn't ready to start but needs to come into play around the hour mark imo.

Next weeks team - same as today, but with a forward 3 of Rose, Edmunson and Marshall with Jones and Miller to come on potentially around the hour mark if required.

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2021, 22:49:15 pm »

Even if he isn't at full fitness he has to be worth a punt for 20 English minutes. The other strikers are barren.

Short and to the point and is easy to agree!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2021, 22:49:22 pm »

Ryan Edmondson            0 goals    11+3 appearances
Sam Hoskins                   4 goals    33+2 appearances

FRONT MEN TOTAL         16 goals   108+59 appearances

So, about right then, Korboa and Hoskins aren't so called recognised strikers. What a pathetic return and a very good indicator of why we are where we are.

Report Spam   Logged
Vince Planner

View Profile
Poll Voter Level 5 Combination
« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2021, 08:32:27 am »

You can’t count.
Report Spam   Logged
the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #105 on: March 14, 2021, 09:03:17 am »

Edmondson was awarded the goal against Portsmouth.
Report Spam   Logged
Buster

View Profile
Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #106 on: March 14, 2021, 09:24:04 am »

It's quite amazing really. Between them, including Smith, our so called strikers have scored probably about 9 or 10 league goals at the most in 35 games. Must be a world record. Andy Williams would have been a better option!!!.

Yep, he scored winner for table topping Cheltenham yesterday even though he only came on in the last three minutes
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #107 on: March 14, 2021, 09:57:56 am »

Yep, he scored winner for table topping Cheltenham yesterday even though he only came on in the last three minutes

And Tozer provided the assist!
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #108 on: March 14, 2021, 10:02:42 am »

Even if he isn't at full fitness he has to be worth a punt for 20 English minutes. The other strikers are barren.
Tis true indeed.
Report Spam   Logged
Athena

View Profile
Sixth year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #109 on: March 14, 2021, 10:32:38 am »

Evers has disagreed with one of my earlier posts. Absolutely fine. He did not bad mouth me or was in anyway disrespectful to me. That's brilliant and how it should be. I will never criticism him either. Why would either of us act like that? We both support NTFC with a passion and whilst facing a difficult time, views are bound to differ but that does not mean we loose that connection and bond.  I don't know the bloke but we are on the same side when it comes to the crunch. We will continue to disagree with each other I'm sure, but disrespect each other - I don't think so. UTC.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 14, 2021, 12:21:44 pm »

Edmondson was awarded the goal against Portsmouth.

You're right....Soccerbase still has the fourth goal credited to Hoskins.....one off him and one on Edmondson.....corrected....thanks!!
Report Spam   Logged

west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #111 on: March 14, 2021, 12:31:50 pm »

You would not have called Vadaine Oliver a natural goal scorer when he was here (4 goals in 30 games) but he is scoring for fun at Gillingham. Plenty of strikers seem to fail here and then produce the goods elsewhere, Henderson didn't score for us in 28 appearances yet bagged 112 in 297 for Rochdale.
On another subject earlier in the season certain posters called Horsfall out for being non-league or division 2 at best and some did not want Jones back but they have formed an impressive partnership and nobody is saying we need Sheehan back. After only having 2 clean sheets we now have had 7 in the last 16 games and all of the other bottom 7 teams have conceded more than us. It the lack of ceativity and goals at the other end which is holding us back.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 14, 2021, 12:51:39 pm »

Evers has disagreed with one of my earlier posts. Absolutely fine. He did not bad mouth me or was in anyway disrespectful to me. That's brilliant and how it should be. I will never criticism him either. Why would either of us act like that? We both support NTFC with a passion and whilst facing a difficult time, views are bound to differ but that does not mean we loose that connection and bond.  I don't know the bloke but we are on the same side when it comes to the crunch. We will continue to disagree with each other I'm sure, but disrespect each other - I don't think so. UTC.

True supporter and gent
Report Spam   Logged

Vince Planner

View Profile
Poll Voter Level 5 Combination
« Reply #113 on: March 14, 2021, 12:55:12 pm »

You're right....Soccerbase still has the fourth goal credited to Hoskins.....one off him and one on Edmondson.....corrected....thanks!!
Now add up the appearances again.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 14, 2021, 13:30:43 pm »

Vince , have spent the last 1hr & 40mins adding up GPC's total but cannot see where the total is wrong. Given Edmondson has gained one and Hoskins has lost one, still adds up it would seen to 16.  Before I engage on a more detailed investigation have you merely kept the great Hoskins score on 4? Like your style tho'. Any help on this conundrum is appreciated?

Report Spam   Logged

Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 14, 2021, 13:33:31 pm »

You would not have called Vadaine Oliver a natural goal scorer when he was here (4 goals in 30 games) but he is scoring for fun at Gillingham. Plenty of strikers seem to fail here and then produce the goods elsewhere, Henderson didn't score for us in 28 appearances yet bagged 112 in 297 for Rochdale.
On another subject earlier in the season certain posters called Horsfall out for being non-league or division 2 at best and some did not want Jones back but they have formed an impressive partnership and nobody is saying we need Sheehan back. After only having 2 clean sheets we now have had 7 in the last 16 games and all of the other bottom 7 teams have conceded more than us. It the lack of ceativity and goals at the other end which is holding us back.
Similar to that guy at Brentford...scored his 250th goal of the campaign yesterday!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #116 on: March 14, 2021, 13:59:45 pm »

Vince , have spent the last 1hr & 40mins adding up GPC's total but cannot see where the total is wrong. Given Edmondson has gained one and Hoskins has lost one, still adds up it would seen to 16.  Before I engage on a more detailed investigation have you merely kept the great Hoskins score on 4? Like your style tho'. Any help on this conundrum is appreciated?

Appearances is 10 too many, still awful from the attackers though!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 14:18:03 pm by Winslow Lee » Report Spam   Logged
Charlatan

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #117 on: March 14, 2021, 15:36:00 pm »

I agree it was an awful game but we would all have taken a point at 3pm if offered it! Therefore got to he reasonably happy. These are the same players from KC's day, give Brady a chance. Oliver scored 2 today, if we still had him we would be mid table.
Looks like any 4 from 6 now for relegation, I still believe that we can be one of the two that stay up.
Agree with this. My concern about yesterdays display, was that just like in the Charlton game IMO Watson should have be another 10yds forward. I'm sure he was playing to JB orders but I think playing as far back as he did he neither played in midfield or up front and I think a lot of the game passed him by. This left us once again with just Edmondson up front getting knackered and feeding off scraps, chasing lost causes. It's a shame because Watson who has been excellent of late didn't see a great deal of the ball. Having said that like a lot of others I would have taken a point at 3pm. UTC
Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #118 on: March 14, 2021, 16:06:31 pm »

Ryan Edmondson            1 goal     11+3 appearances
Sam Hoskins                   3 goals    33+2 appearances

This is very interesting and certainly indicates that our forwards have not been good enough. However it only tells part of the story. You can only really judge a player's goalscoring ability based on his goals per chances ratio. I don't know the stats for that, but I can't think of that many times when our strikers have missed really good chances. Say 3 good chances each for BAS, Edmondson, Rose and Smith and let's say 6 for Hoskins, over the whole season. I really doubt it's any more than that. Assuming a good striker will put away 50% of those chances that makes around 9 goals more, which would still be a pretty poor tally.

The point is, that although our strikeforce is definitely below par for league 1, if we'd created more, they would have significantly more goals than they do. BAS, Rose and Edmondson have spent the vast majority of their time trying to hold the ball up or chase down defenders or run after hopeful punts upfield. They have rarely been receiving the ball in goalscoring positions, despite the number of games they've played. So our tactics or lack of creativity in midfield are as much to blame as these players' golascoring abilities.

To be fair JB is trying to address this as we're now creating more chances, but most of these stats come from the KC era when we often had just 2 or 3 shots on goal in an entire game. Despite comments on here, with the service on offer from midfield and KC's tactics, I doubt whether Williams, Oliver or even Ivan Toney would have got anywhere near the figures they have with their current clubs.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 14, 2021, 16:50:54 pm »

Thanks again, I added them up a few times and still kept getting 108, then I got 98, then I got the calculator out!!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: