The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 11:31:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Salop Match Thread - Live

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Salop Match Thread - Live  (Read 4156 times)
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #160 on: March 05, 2011, 18:43:51 pm »

Johnson out!!!

I'd rather he just waved.
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #161 on: March 05, 2011, 19:03:55 pm »

How refreshing was GJ's interview? Totally reaffirmed by faith.
Report Spam   Logged
GreenleysCobbler

« Reply #162 on: March 05, 2011, 19:17:33 pm »

Few points from me:

1. If GJ is going into the loan market the first call has to be to someone prepared to give us a centre back.  Beckwith and Tozer are both decent players but I have seen nothing to suggest they can play as a pairing.  They cost us goals week in week out.

2. Send Josh Walker back to Watford.  I'll get slated for this but in my opinion he adds no more than Gilligan does.  Of course he's a better player but he is not showing it in a Cobblers shirt.  He must be eating up a fair bit of the budget and as Gilligan is contracted for next season we may as well see if GJ can get more out of him.

3. First order of business for the training ground is to get us playing to Harrad's strengths.  There is no way he scored all those goals for Burton with his back to goal constantly chesting down lumps up the field.  He came close once today and it was when we put a decent cross in for him to attack.

4.  If anyone is daft enough to still be discussing the playoffs (Tim O at BBCRN I'm talking to you) then stop.  We need 3 more wins to ensure we don't get sucked into a relegation battle.  The remaining games are about GJ deciding which players he wants to keep and who can leave.

That'll do me.
Report Spam   Logged
HertsCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #163 on: March 05, 2011, 19:23:58 pm »

For me the biggest problem is Beckwith - he has such a huge turning circle and at times just does not seem to deal with situations before they get out of hand.  Tozer is the better option out of the two.  It is ironic that our best pairing at centre back has only been played once this season Beckwith / Hinton!
Report Spam   Logged
Monty

View Profile
Windows User Apple User Combination
« Reply #164 on: March 05, 2011, 19:53:21 pm »

It was better today. Not good, just better. Shrewsbury were of significantly higher quality than anything we've encountered (and failed to beat) over the last month or so, and for the most part we matched them - which makes the recent displays harder to understand. From his post-match interview GJ seems to have a handle on what he needs to change and I'm looking forward to seeing what he can come up with.
Report Spam   Logged

Hotel End Grand National Sweepstake Winner 2018, Fantasy Premier League Winner 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
DustCobb

« Reply #165 on: March 05, 2011, 19:55:40 pm »

Thought we looked better today, seemed more up for it and in their faces a bit.

Agree about Walker, looking for a worldy pass too often instead of simple ball.

GJ will sort it out, shame Sammo left us with a s***, slow defence.

Report Spam   Logged
HertsCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 05, 2011, 19:55:53 pm »

Plus maybe Johnson might be better used as a winger given he was at fault for 2nd goal.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #167 on: March 05, 2011, 20:11:23 pm »

Slowe makes it onto the bench  Tongue

Holt back to left back?

Rodgers!!  Embarrassed

Bollox MK...Rodgers played his heart out..and well today! Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #168 on: March 05, 2011, 20:18:31 pm »

I haven't heard that bounce around the ground song yet...

I tried, several times..apart from lad next to me..clueless cabbages in the North Stand didn't want to know!
Report Spam   Logged
abington_cobbler

« Reply #169 on: March 05, 2011, 20:20:12 pm »

I agree, Rodgers was the 2nd best player after Jacobs. Keep Rodgers on I'm sure he will become a good player
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #170 on: March 05, 2011, 20:34:14 pm »

I agree too. He certainly makes up for his errors with full on effort.
Report Spam   Logged
HertsCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 05, 2011, 20:37:00 pm »

To be fair to Rodgers he was playing on the wrong side and played about 40 minutes with cramp.
Report Spam   Logged
ntfc_alex

Andy Holt is a god

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #172 on: March 05, 2011, 21:24:03 pm »

Plus maybe Johnson might be better used as a winger given he was at fault for 2nd goal.

I thought the 2nd goal was purely walkers fault
Report Spam   Logged
DustCobb

« Reply #173 on: March 05, 2011, 21:27:04 pm »

Walker was at fault but equally at fault was Johnson who went on a ludicrous marauding run and lost the ball. JJ sometimes needs to remember his number 1 job is to actually defend.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #174 on: March 05, 2011, 21:30:13 pm »

Walker was at fault but equally at fault was Johnson who went on a ludicrous marauding run and lost the ball. JJ sometimes needs to remember his number 1 job is to actually defend.

That's cruel, he's our fourth top scorer.
Report Spam   Logged
DustCobb

« Reply #175 on: March 05, 2011, 21:32:59 pm »

That's cruel, he's our fourth top scorer.

I don't doubt his ability at chipping in with goals or going on marauding runs, i do however doubt his ability as a right back now. Sure it was discussed on another thread about him playing further up the field and i agree fully.

Report Spam   Logged
NTFC Nut

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #176 on: March 05, 2011, 23:36:24 pm »

I thought we played well today. There was some really good stuff played in the first hour or so, then we kind of drifted back into our old ways. Rarely will we play that well and lose the game in this division, but Shrewsbury are a decent side and will probably go up this season. If we can perform on a more consistent basis there's no reason why we can't follow them up to League One in 2011/12.
Report Spam   Logged

TheBigPicture

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #177 on: March 05, 2011, 23:44:16 pm »

Today was my first game back at Sixfields in years, and the first chance like GJ to see the players at first hand. Don't know what to think really, much of a nothingness at times - highlights were obviously Michael Jacobs fine goals, only disappointingly to see them immediately cancelled out down the other end. And that is really what stood out for me, the defensive side of our game. I'd best describe the back four today as 'unconvincing', Beckwith was struggling to do the simple things properly, and at times he relied more on fortune than actual intent. Ben Tozer much the same really, John Johnson just ok, agree about Paul Rodgers he was decent and got the impression he was trying to go the extra yard for the new manager - Chris Dunn was ok too, done what was asked of him, made a good stop in the second half.

The midfield, pretty average really...Josh Walker has ability but as pointed out, he needs to know when to just play it simple, decent set-pieces, a couple of dangerous balls in the box/shots at goal.
The front two - having seen Billy Mckay, i like him as a finisher but it's evident he needs to beef up his game...i can see how he would be bullied out of games at times, a little too light-weight. Shaun Harrad much like McKay today, limited to the service they got, which wasnt much...Harrad a lot of the time with his back to goal with nowhere to go - the quicker we can utilise his skills in the box the better...touch needs to be better at times though. Courtney Herbert didnt do much when he came on, most of the time when in possession of the ball, he'd sooner pass it on, unlike the player we saw when he first came here, clearly seems to be lacking in self-belief.

As for Shrewsbury, they didnt strike me as a team going for automatic/play-offs, they didnt on this evidence have too much about them, however they know how to finish and indeed got it done. I thought their Defender cum Striker Jermaine Grandison stood out...looks a player.
With the goals, when the ball dropped to the oppostion they stuck it away without any fuss, likewise we had similar opportunities near the end yet sadly the ball seemed more destined for McDonalds then anywhere else. I looked for the reaction of GJ immediately when we conceded the third, a slight shake of the head with something of a wry smile as if to say "must do better".  - That'll do for me....  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Daffy Duck

« Reply #178 on: March 06, 2011, 12:12:06 pm »

I agree, Rodgers was the 2nd best player after Jacobs. Keep Rodgers on I'm sure he will become a good player
I agree, Rodgers played very well particularly as he was marking a very quick little player.
Report Spam   Logged
EastNpton

« Reply #179 on: March 06, 2011, 12:36:41 pm »

I think we need another CB in to give Tozer and Beckwith a bit of competiton. Also it would be good to give either a rest because if they are carrying knocks they become even slower!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: