The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 13:20:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Home v Oxford United 23.03.21

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home v Oxford United 23.03.21  (Read 8222 times)
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2021, 14:19:43 pm »

we had one that hit the inside of the post and one absolute sitter that was fluffed in front of the goal line so clearly there was something happening in the final third?! Maybe you were making cocoa when that happened.

Thanks that seems to echo my comments on the lack of quality in the final third.

Unfortunately at this level you don't win prizes for hitting the post, especially if you've been given a free hit from 12 yards out.  

One absolute sitter that was fluffed. Agreed. We had the same issue last week with Edmondson which cost us three points.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2021, 14:20:26 pm »

in addition to the on target shot that went in the corner, we had one that hit the inside of the post and one absolute sitter that was fluffed in front of the goal line so clearly there was something happening in the final third?! Maybe you were making cocoa when that happened.

I thinks that’s the point he was making, we created a few opportunities but the attackers failed to get shots on target when they should have done better. It’s alright to praise work rate, closing down and build up play but they need to be getting on the end of good crosses, being in the right places in the box and finishing chances as opposed to hitting the post and fluffing them. Our goals to games ratio is pathetic.

(You beat me to it!)
Report Spam   Logged
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2021, 14:24:19 pm »

Even the professional hacks disagree with you! Your earlier post was wildly wide of the mark! If only for the reason it appeared to omit any constructive comment. Do you have some sort of grudge against the Club?  

How's the online reading course going? Not to well it would appear, please see extracts below for ease:

A battling performance.

Rose worked his socks off and won many second balls and free kicks.

Fair play to the back line for standing firm.
Report Spam   Logged
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2021, 14:30:35 pm »

I thinks that’s the point he was making, we created a few opportunities but the attackers failed to get shots on target when they should have done better. It’s alright to praise work rate, closing down and build up play but they need to be getting on the end of good crosses, being in the right places in the box and finishing chances as opposed to hitting the post and fluffing them. Our goals to games ratio is pathetic.

(You beat me to it!)

Exactly that. Bread and butter of a striker is to shoot and score goals, anything beyond that is a bonus.

If they don't score goals, you don't win and you get relegated.

Unfortunately the league table doesn't consider work rate and distance covered.

We have scored the least amount of goals in the league and in the last 3 games we have managed 2 shots on target.

We must do better, the back line can't save us each week.
Report Spam   Logged
Bertie

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #164 on: March 24, 2021, 15:25:36 pm »

I had more or less given up after the Crewe game, so it was a pleasant surprise to see a decent performance last night. Rose did a good job and feel he should hold his place for the time being. Defence did a good job, and fortunately Oxford hadn't got their shooting boots on. Don't like to pick on players, but felt Morris was rather off the pace. Everyone else put a shift in and we were in control for good periods of the game, whereas against Crewe we were hardly competing. Long way to go, but there's hope. Need something from the Wimbledon game.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2021, 15:44:52 pm »

How's the online reading course going? Not to well it would appear, please see extracts below for ease:

A battling performance.

Rose worked his socks off and won many second balls and free kicks.

Fair play to the back line for standing firm.

You appear to be missing the point: your opening salvo about watching a different game set the scene what was to follow! The three comments above only number 2 ref Rose was worthy of mention. Talk about a condescending and patronising summing up. I think you posted an earlier comment on this thread which seemed out of place; that is well before the match.  Generally you might consider lightening up as it appears you are merely fishing for bites with contentious comments. Good luck with that
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 24, 2021, 15:58:37 pm »

(You beat me to it!)

I don't, as we appeared to make more opportunities than we did against Crewe! Its a bit cynical to criticise the overall performance last night as there was a distinct improvement on the Crewe game? Both Marshall(failed) and especially Hoskins where in the right place at the right time. Then you come with the classic on goal to games ratio but failed to mention goals conceded ratio. I believe it is not irrelevant to believe that our goal deficit may well be important on the final day. Another poster who perhaps needs to lighten up!
Report Spam   Logged

Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2021, 16:23:13 pm »

It's worth visiting the Oxford Forum (yellowsforum.co.uk) just for the sheer arrogance of their fans, this is from a club that has spent a third of the last 15 seasons in non league ! I thought Google had misdirected me to the Man City Forum, "We should be beating crap like Northampton" is one of many quotes on there. Also everyone from Oxford has brilliant eyesight because the ball "Was clearly over the line" as Watson cleared it. It could have been, but the person with the best view was the Lino and he didn't think it was. Still I suppose it should be expected from a club that has an open top bus parade for finishing a distant second in the league. 
     Changing the subject, this seemed a bit strange to me, if you play in Yellow shirts would you really have Orange as your away shirt ? It's a bit like us having Red as our away shirt  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2021, 16:43:10 pm »

You appear to be missing the point: your opening salvo about watching a different game set the scene what was to follow! The three comments above only number 2 ref Rose was worthy of mention. Talk about a condescending and patronising summing up. I think you posted an earlier comment on this thread which seemed out of place; that is well before the match.  Generally you might consider lightening up as it appears you are merely fishing for bites with contentious comments. Good luck with that

Evers as he said he may have been watching a different game. Just accept that he was.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2021, 17:02:47 pm »

I don't, as we appeared to make more opportunities than we did against Crewe! Its a bit cynical to criticise the overall performance last night as there was a distinct improvement on the Crewe game? Both Marshall(failed) and especially Hoskins where in the right place at the right time. Then you come with the classic on goal to games ratio but failed to mention goals conceded ratio. I believe it is not irrelevant to believe that our goal deficit may well be important on the final day. Another poster who perhaps needs to lighten up!

The point wasn’t about the overall performance as I thought we played well and yes we’ve done well with goal difference, I’ve been very impressed with the back 4 and McWilliams who acts a good shield.
It came from a post lavishing praise on the attackers but then later going on to say how we missed quite a few good chances which seemed a bit contradictory. All I said was as good as work rate and pressing are we need our strikers to be taking more chances. In a dozen games under Brady less than a goal a game and only 3 goals from the usual 3 attackers (3 from defenders 4 from midfielders) I’ve praised Hoskins for the Oxford game and he was my MOM but it’s unfair and unrealistic to keep relying on the defence and time for the attackers to step up.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2021, 17:08:32 pm »

Not booked and his last 20 minutes personified team effort. Are you being a bit harsh?
Possibly harsh but, his passing was beyond wayward, all he seems to offer is that 'get stuck in' trait, seemingly, little actual skill.
Last night, he didn't get a booking, but tried his best -  twice pushing away the Oxford player (forgotten who now) when it was clearly an Oxford free kick was his usual petulant self!
As Luke Graham said a couple of weeks back, his quality is to get stuck in...though that quality, rendered rather useless if shackled with a booking!
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 24, 2021, 17:19:04 pm »

It's worth visiting the Oxford Forum (yellowsforum.co.uk) just for the sheer arrogance of their fans, this is from a club that has spent a third of the last 15 seasons in non league ! I thought Google had misdirected me to the Man City Forum, "We should be beating crap like Northampton" is one of many quotes on there. Also everyone from Oxford has brilliant eyesight because the ball "Was clearly over the line" as Watson cleared it. It could have been, but the person with the best view was the Lino and he didn't think it was. Still I suppose it should be expected from a club that has an open top bus parade for finishing a distant second in the league. 
     Changing the subject, this seemed a bit strange to me, if you play in Yellow shirts would you really have Orange as your away shirt ? It's a bit like us having Red as our away shirt  Roll Eyes
You've only just noticed?  Grin
To be fair, prior to the game (they do a match build up thread as well as match thread - good idea!) is the least entitled and arrogant I've seen against us in a long, long while!
Even got a message last night from one mate, who's a season ticket holder, saying  "you deserved it, we were s***e!"
Praise indeed!  Grin

Another good read (a must read) is one of their chaps always posts a 'Fans View' post. In normal times, will include the pubs visited for each away day and general low down on the day, as well as always a good honest account of the game.
No arrogance, often self critical, though refs sometimes a little harsh on!

Orange was the original colours of Headington Amateurs!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #172 on: March 24, 2021, 17:20:41 pm »

Possibly harsh but, his passing was beyond wayward, all he seems to offer is that 'get stuck in' trait, seemingly, little actual skill.
Last night, he didn't get a booking, but tried his best -  twice pushing away the Oxford player (forgotten who now) when it was clearly an Oxford free kick was his usual petulant self!
As Luke Graham said a couple of weeks back, his quality is to get stuck in...though that quality, rendered rather useless if shackled with a booking!

I think you are being very harsh. I understand what you are saying about limited skill but a team needs different types of players and Shaun is like a heartbeat which brings the team to life.
If I'm thinking of the same incident as you I thought it was 50/50, not clear cut at all and Shaun seemed to think the foul had been given our way.
Yes Shaun plays on the edge and is often running the risk of a booking but without that he's only half the player.
Report Spam   Logged
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 24, 2021, 18:54:27 pm »

Neverbrite, forums are all about opinions, that's what makes them work as a shared platform. Spending half your life on here and generally being the most obnoxious poster doesn't mean that your views are correct and everyone else is wrong.

For example, Roger, EB Claret, Carton Lid and Manwork04 specifically praised the performance of Morris. Whilst Me, Drilling and Bertie had a different view and identified Morris as one of the weaker links.

Interestingly, you were calling for a front two of Edmondson and Jones before game. Ever since you've been singing from the hills about the front three and attempting to belittle anyone that attempts to question their overall effectiveness in front of goal!

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 24, 2021, 19:16:43 pm »

Neverbrite, forums are all about opinions, that's what makes them work as a shared platform. Spending half your life on here and generally being the most obnoxious poster doesn't mean that your views are correct and everyone else is wrong.

For example, Roger, EB Claret, Carton Lid and Manwork04 specifically praised the performance of Morris. Whilst Me, Drilling and Bertie had a different view and identified Morris as one of the weaker links.

Interestingly, you were calling for a front two of Edmondson and Jones before game. Ever since you've been singing from the hills about the front three and attempting to belittle anyone that attempts to question their overall effectiveness in front of goal!

Just been told to accept that you saw a completely different game; so be it.

Report Spam   Logged

Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #175 on: March 24, 2021, 19:21:26 pm »

Opinion is what makes it so fascinating at times? Personally I reckon McWilliams is a fantastic player and brings a vital quality to our play, Cat reckons he’s a liability? Cat comes across as an intelligent bloke, he’s certainly not daft, and contrary to popular opinion I don’t reckon I’m stupid either? So why the completely different points of view? People will always see things differently, that’s why we all spend so much time on here arguing about it, so thank goodness?
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 24, 2021, 19:54:54 pm »

Opinion is what makes it so fascinating at times? Personally I reckon McWilliams is a fantastic player and brings a vital quality to our play, Cat reckons he’s a liability? Cat comes across as an intelligent bloke, he’s certainly not daft, and contrary to popular opinion I don’t reckon I’m stupid either? So why the completely different points of view? People will always see things differently, that’s why we all spend so much time on here arguing about it, so thank goodness?

Agreed
Report Spam   Logged

Mysterious Curle

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 24, 2021, 20:09:09 pm »

Have you considered asking Neverbrite to confirm which one of you is correct?

Seems to be most logical solution to me. That way we will all know which one of you to listen to in future and which one is a clueless liability and not worthy of having an opinion.
Report Spam   Logged
Robas

View Profile
100 Posts Poll Voter Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #178 on: March 24, 2021, 20:43:55 pm »

Given that McWilliams is always running a fine line with referees for his tackling he ought to avoid unnecessary issues by continually getting involved in other aggravation and arguments!

Brady needs to have a word in his ear, resources are thin enough as it is.

My opinion is he is the only player we have who adds real bite in midfield so is worth his weight in gold for that alone.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 24, 2021, 22:12:42 pm »

Thankfully last night was game 37 of the season and the point where we pass the 10 cards= suspension rule.

He's now ok to pick up another 8 yellows until he'd face a ban.....seeing as we have 9 games left I think that unlikely. That said, once he's on a yellow he needs to behave!

How much does his "attacking threat" let him down? By any stretch, even for a defensive midfielder, a record of just one goal in 105 games is poor!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: