The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 12:42:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Taming the Shrews? Good Friday 02.04.21

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taming the Shrews? Good Friday 02.04.21  (Read 5386 times)
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Level 6
« on: April 01, 2021, 17:14:28 pm »

Hopefully its a Good Friday for us, we take on Shrewsbury at the PTS in another crunch clash, just eight of them to go this season.

Shrewsbury arrive three places but 10 points above us, and they have three games in hand. You'd think them safe now with 46 points on the board and 11 games left to play...it will take a huge collapse to see them dragged back into things.
They have drawn 13 games this season, equal highest in the division, and have lost 11 which is the same amount as Lincoln. Away from home they are 8th in the table, 7 wins 6 draws and 5 defeats. They have only won 4 at home so its obvious where their problems have been this season. Managed by Steve Cotterill, who however has been absent for a large number of games due to Covid induced pneumonia, hes currently recuperating at home after spending 33 days in hospital. Aaron Wilbraham has been in caretaker charge during his absence.
The Shrews have won on the road at Wimbledon, Hull, Lincoln, Doncaster, Swindon, Rochdale and Burton, as well as cup wins at Crewe and Cambridge, their current form sees them have three wins three draws and three defeats in the last nine league games.

They do struggle for goals somewhat, and their leading scorers both have six league goals to their names, Shaun Whalley and Harrison Chapman on that mark.

Former Cobbler Aaron Pierre is in their ranks, just about ready to return from injury, Pierre has played 65 games for Salop since his move from the Cobblers for a fee of around £100.000 in June 2019. He has missed the last two months with a calf problem. Ollie Norburn has served a two match ban following 10 bookings and will also be available for the clash tomorrow.

No other current Cobblers connections in their ranks, but sad news today of the passing of former Cobblers and Shrews defender Lee Collins at the young age of 32. Collins played 86 times for The Cobblers before being released at the end of the 2014/15 season. Prior to his time with us he had a spell on loan at The New Meadow in 2012. He made 10 starts whilst on loan there.

A very even head to head between the two teams, 21 wins apiece in the League with 11 draws. Shrewsbury are unbeaten in their last five visits to Sixfields, the last three games ended as 1-1 draws. Prior to that saw us get hammered 7-2 in David Lees only game in charge of the club following the dismissal of Gary Johnson. We have to go back to April 2010 for our last victory over them on our patch, a 2-0 win in League 2 thanks to second half goals from Billy McKay and Kevin Thornton.

We did win the reverse fixture this season, goals from Marshall and Hoskins either side of a Whalley effort saw us take the three points home in the first game back in front of fans during the short lived pilot scheme.

Ross Joyce has been appointed to take charge...looking at the figures the Cleveland based referee seems to like his cards....104 yellows handed out so far, along with four reds in just 25 games this season. We have not seen him since our 2-1 victory at Salford last season, this is his first visit to Sixfields since he refereed the game against Colchester in February 2019, a game we lost 4-0.

Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest2995

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 19:20:35 pm »

i think we will be going all out for this - i think we may see 3 strikers on with full backs pushing up .
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 20:14:58 pm »

i think we will be going all out for this - i think we may see 3 strikers on with full backs pushing up .

Are we even capable of going all out for it! no matter how many extra attackers we stick on we look equally impotent.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 20:39:36 pm »

Are we even capable of going all out for it! no matter how many extra attackers we stick on we look equally impotent.

Got to agree with this but desperately hope we're both wrong. Another must win game, just like the last must win game, that we lost. In fact Monday at Hull is a must win game as we're running out of games. I'll stick my neck out and predict that if we beat Hull, hmmm, we'll stay up. Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 22:12:22 pm »

Got to agree with this but desperately hope we're both wrong. Another must win game, just like the last must win game, that we lost. In fact Monday at Hull is a must win game as we're running out of games. I'll stick my neck out and predict that if we beat Hull, hmmm, we'll stay up. Roll Eyes

Good lad that Winslow air must be special!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 22:28:04 pm »

I remember Shaun Whalley getting Dave Buchanan sent off a few years ago, a disgraceful dive and rolling about until a certain Mr Breakspear sent off Buchs,  JJOT also saw red that day.  Sad
Report Spam   Logged
guest3429

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2021, 01:38:26 am »

We haven't got three?
Report Spam   Logged
Horsham Cobbler

"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look"

View Profile
500 Posts Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 08:07:24 am »

We haven't got three?

A point's as much use as a bra on a snake. None of the KC 'neutralising the opposition' approach ..... all out, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Report Spam   Logged
Clint

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 08:44:44 am »

Another 'must win' game.
Groundhog Day again, I fear.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 09:23:49 am »

Another 'must win' game.

Such a redundant term, that’s got to be a quite a few must win games already lost!
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2021, 09:26:53 am »

A point's as much use as a bra on a snake. None of the KC 'neutralising the opposition' approach ..... all out, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I get what you are saying, the problem is though the more attacking we go, it increases the chances of conceding much more than scoring.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2021, 10:44:14 am »

For the love of god can we try Edmundson and Jones up front from the start.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Horsham Cobbler

"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look"

View Profile
500 Posts Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2021, 10:51:25 am »

I get what you are saying, the problem is though the more attacking we go, it increases the chances of conceding much more than scoring.

Agreed, if a point in this game would be acceptable as a last resort.

But over the next few games, if we don't go out to score more goals than the opposition then we're down .. the option of playing it tight hoping we'll nick a goal is long gone (IMO).
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2021, 11:05:50 am »

If we don’t take three points on games like today (maybe the ‘easiest’ remaining) then it’s getting more unlikely we’ll stay up. Last week was a blow. We’re going to be looking at pulling one shock result out against Hull, the P*sh and I’m sure we’ll need something at Sunderland or relying on other results.
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2021, 11:10:16 am »

For the love of god can we try Edmundson and Jones up front from the start.

I'm begining to wonder why we got Jones in to be honest.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2021, 11:22:29 am »

I'm begining to wonder why we got Jones in to be honest.

Desperation because all our other attackers are terrible
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2021, 11:28:14 am »

Desperation because all our other attackers are terrible

Yes, but to do help in that department he has to play.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2021, 11:40:02 am »

Yes, but to do help in that department he has to play.

I’m guessing it was a gamb1e that could get him up in to some sort of shape long after his long lay off which hasn’t payed off had he apparently doesn’t seem capable of more than 10 minutes. Hopefully today will be different but I guess we will have to wait and find out.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 11:42:51 am by Winslow Lee » Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2021, 11:41:41 am »

Having lost 3 of their first 6 away games Shrewsbury have only lost 2 of the last 12. Generally their away games are low on goals as in the 18 played they have scored 18 and conceded 18, they have only failed to score 3 times and also have scored more than once 3 times. Defensively they have kept 7 clean sheets, coceded 1 goal 7 times, 2 goals 3 times and 5 at Posh. Their away victories include winning at Hull, Lincoln and Doncaster.
As nobody has less away points than us and our remaining away games are all to teams in the top 6 it is hard to see us adding more than the odd point to our total without a major upset. This leaves us needing to win all of our remaining home games or win 3 and pick up a couple of draws to get us to 47-48 points which could be enough for safety. As we haven't scored in 21 of our 38 games I will not be rushing to get a bet on.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2021, 11:44:31 am »

As we haven't scored in 21 of our 38 games I will not be rushing to get a bet on.

That is a pretty stark statistic
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: