The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 22:41:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Rattling the Rovers 10.4.21

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rattling the Rovers 10.4.21  (Read 11536 times)
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #240 on: April 10, 2021, 16:18:42 pm »

Yeah, was always too much of ask to survive from here. Need to look to League 2 now. I've got to be honest, difficult circumstances or not, I'm not sure Brady is the man for me.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #241 on: April 10, 2021, 16:37:46 pm »

I like Brady a lot. His passion and integrity are beyond reproach and I think it's clear that he's a very good man-manager and coach. Curle's recruitment has given him an extremely limited hand of cards to play with.

However, for me the pressure of the relegation battle has transformed him into a risk adverse manager. When he first took over we were properly having a go at teams with Marshall and Miller flying down the wings and the full-backs overlapping in support. He spoke encouragingly about increasing our touches in the opposition's penalty area.

Now Marshall has been jettisoned to the bench and we're playing some kind of weird '4-2-2-2' pseudo-diamond formation with very little width and very little creativity.

Today's draw keeps us just about alive but he needs to have a radical tactical rethink. For me there just wasn't enough ambition to get 3 points in what was a very winnable game today. It's sad how refreshing it is to watch Jones do the absolute basics of centre forward play - holding the ball up, using his strength to turn his man, directing flick ons - which seem to be beyond the purview of his colleagues. I find it hard to belief that we couldn't get 60 minutes out of him (a la McCormack last year) and this could make all the difference. This is what I'd play from now on:

Mitchell

Kioso      Jones        Horsfall        Mills/Sheehan

McWilliams       Morris

Marshall            Watson             Hoskins

Jones (sub off after 60 minutes for Edmondson/Chucks)

4-2-3-1 is a tactically coherent formation and would give us some width without compromising our ability to press and defend. It would also allow Watson to get in the box and hopefully feed off Jones. Mills is an interesting one. He looked like a great signing in the summer having scored and assisted for fun for Forest Green as a left-wing back. He's been fairly solid defensively but he looks to me like a player who could do with a rest. His crossing, passing and composure were not up to his usual standard. Sheehan started his career as a left-back and putting him in at left-back might be a way of getting some much-needed composure into the side.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 16:44:21 pm by bungle » Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #242 on: April 10, 2021, 16:39:08 pm »

Yeah, was always too much of ask to survive from here. Need to look to League 2 now. I've got to be honest, difficult circumstances or not, I'm not sure Brady is the man for me.

Well, for next season anyway. After that it could be a lot worse. I know times are hard and budgets are tight, but plenty of other teams are in exactly the same situation as us and haven't done too bad. Is it just down to the players or does it go higher than that. Hmmm.
Report Spam   Logged
Keith

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 10, 2021, 16:41:24 pm »

I like Brady a lot. His passion and integrity are beyond reproach and I think it's clear that he's a very good man-manager and coach. Curle's recruitment has given him an extremely limited hand of cards to play with.

However, for me the pressure of the relegation battle has transformed him into a risk adverse manager. When he first took over we were properly having a go at teams with Marshall and Miller flying down the wings and the full-backs overlapping in support. He spoke encouragingly about increasing our touches in the opposition's penalty area.

Now Marshall has been jettisoned to the bench and we're playing some kind of weird '4-2-2-2' pseudo-diamond formation with very little width and very little creativity.

Today's draw keeps us just about alive but he needs to have a radical tactical rethink. For me there just wasn't enough ambition to get 3 points in what was a very winnable game today. It's sad how refreshing it is to watch Jones do the absolute basics of centre forward play - holding the ball up, using his strength to turn his man, directing flick ons - which seem to be beyond the purview of his colleagues. I find it hard to belief that we couldn't get 60 minutes out of him (a la McCormack last year) and this could make all the difference. This is what I'd play from now on:

Mitchell

McWilliams       Morris

Mills is an interesting one. He looked like a great signing in the summer having scored and assisted for fun for Forest Green as a left-wing back. He's been fairly solid defensively but he looks to me like a player who could do with a rest. Sheehan started his career as a left-back and putting him in at left-back might be a way of getting some much-needed composure into the side.

i agree but was Mills playing a more forward role in a team creating chances, this is a team that is scared to create anything, we have the players but no the confidence, that's Brady's job
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #244 on: April 10, 2021, 16:54:13 pm »

We look league two and quite honestly deserve to be there.
At what point is Edmundson going to score a proper goal or even have a shot ?
We are as sharp as a tennis ball up front
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #245 on: April 10, 2021, 16:57:08 pm »

He’s not at all the right man. NTFC NUT also hit the nail on the head earlier in the thread. We knew he wasn’t the man when he failed to beat any of Burton, MK Dons, Rochdale or Swindon.

Today was a must win and we were shocking for huge spells of the game. The delusion to think this daft formation was working is incredibly frustrating. We may as well not bother with the three away games as they’re 0 points. Ipswich is dependant on whether they turn up or not, they’re the inconsistent side we have left, and Blackpool are on a play off juggernaut and will be thanking their lucky stars for having us to play.

We are down. And that was so avoidable. Thanks to the board for allowing it to happen.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #246 on: April 10, 2021, 16:58:27 pm »

Mitchell

McWilliams       Morris

4-2-3-1 is a tactically coherent formation and would give us some width without compromising our ability to press and defend. It would also allow Watson to get in the box and hopefully feed off Jones. Mills is an interesting one. He looked like a great signing in the summer having scored and assisted for fun for Forest Green as a left-wing back. He's been fairly solid defensively but he looks to me like a player who could do with a rest. His crossing, passing and composure were not up to his usual standard. Sheehan started his career as a left-back and putting him in at left-back might be a way of getting some much-needed composure into the side.

I don't see how you can properly tell what formation we are playing from iFollow
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #247 on: April 10, 2021, 17:01:35 pm »

Keeps the flame flickering......but the easy games have now run out!
I'd rather not be playing teams scrapping for their lives at the bottom - our record, as said, is shocking against them!
Can see (hoping!) a draws at Gillingham, as well as home to Blackpool. Cobblers could and should have won at Portman Road...so a cagey 1-0 win against Ipswich Town coming up!

Of course, no chance whatsoever of getting anything at Posh next week!
Report Spam   Logged
OCoole

View Profile
Windows User Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #248 on: April 10, 2021, 17:08:26 pm »

Mitchell

McWilliams       Morris

Spot on post, as per usual.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #249 on: April 10, 2021, 17:16:22 pm »

Through the interviews Brady comes across as a lovely bloke but, to my mind, not as a manager. He allows emotion to get the better of him and whilst that is endearing in a man, you need a cool head to plan a strategy. It has also astonished me how the three members of his bunch could put out teams to play the way they have ever since the Crewe game. I am surprised  however that he hasn't been able to transfer his passion to the players who look to me like the weakest set of footballers you could choose in one team. If they had played some of these games with fire in their belly we would be safe by now. There are some awful sides in this league.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #250 on: April 10, 2021, 17:29:35 pm »

I am surprised he hasn't been able to transfer his passion to the players who look to me like the weakest set of footballers you could choose in one team. If they had played some of these games with fire in their belly we would be safe by now.

Disagree. There is nothing wrong with the 'passion' of these players. The likes of Edmondson and Rose have been much criticised for a lack of quality but you can't deny that they are working their bollocks off and chasing everything. Compare this group with the last Cobblers team who were relegated from this division (Van Veen, Crooks et al) - there is far more passion, fight and work ethic but sadly passion will only get you so far.

Our problems this season boil down to 1. poor recruitment and 2. poor tactics.

Brady can do nothing about recruitment but he has been tactically subpar over the past few weeks. If you play without any genuine width then it affects the composure of the whole team because there is never an obvious 'out ball' - this I think is why there were so many misplaced passes today.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 17:35:20 pm by bungle » Report Spam   Logged
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #251 on: April 10, 2021, 17:32:40 pm »

I just hope someone has a quite word with Mitchell and tell him to kick it a little more to the right, lost count the number of kicks that went straight out of play on the half way line.
    Just a thought, he could have been "got at" by a Chinese betting syndicate, with bets on the number of throw ins, 5U Sports get their revenge !!!!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 19:03:06 pm by Carton Lid » Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #252 on: April 10, 2021, 17:33:27 pm »

Through the interviews Brady comes across as a lovely bloke but, to my mind, not as a manager. He allows emotion to get the better of him and whilst that is endearing in a man, you need a cool head to plan a strategy. It has also astonished me how the three members of his bunch could put out teams to play the way they have ever since the Crewe game. I am surprised  however that he hasn't been able to transfer his passion to the players who look to me like the weakest set of footballers you could choose in one team. If they had played some of these games with fire in their belly we would be safe by now. There are some awful sides in this league.

Managers today are rather more PR representatives for the clubs, employed to give good soundbites. You've only got to look at Klopp's new teeth and Mourinho's latest spat to realise that. Brady hasn't been media trained yet so he comes accross as a real person. If he gets the job in the summer expect the usual platitudes to follow.
Report Spam   Logged
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #253 on: April 10, 2021, 17:34:33 pm »

But we’ve fcuked up every game against the bottom 6 so maybe playing the top 6 will help us.
Keep the faith Cobbs!
yes because we set up not to lose. What happens? We never win.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #254 on: April 10, 2021, 17:39:52 pm »

bit harsh but someones got too

Beginning to warm to you Keith - don't like Punk, Reggae, Iron Maiden type music etc but like and admire the Rolling Stones and Petula Clark!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 10, 2021, 18:04:26 pm »

I'd rather not be playing teams scrapping for their lives at the bottom - our record, as said, is shocking against them!
Can see (hoping!) a draws at Gillingham, as well as home to Blackpool. Cobblers could and should have won at Portman Road...so a cagey 1-0 win against Ipswich Town coming up!

Of course, no chance whatsoever of getting anything at Posh next week!

You're so negative.😁
Report Spam   Logged
Baldy

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Combination
« Reply #256 on: April 10, 2021, 18:06:26 pm »

Well, for next season anyway. After that it could be a lot worse. I know times are hard and budgets are tight, but plenty of other teams are in exactly the same situation as us and haven't done too bad. Is it just down to the players or does it go higher than that. Hmmm.

I take full responsibility.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 10, 2021, 18:11:49 pm »

Disagree. There is nothing wrong with the 'passion' of these players. The likes of Edmondson and Rose have been much criticised for a lack of quality but you can't deny that they are working their bollocks off and chasing everything. Compare this group with the last Cobblers team who were relegated from this division (Van Veen, Crooks et al) - there is far more passion, fight and work ethic but sadly passion will only get you so far.

Our problems this season boil down to 1. poor recruitment and 2. poor tactics.

Brady can do nothing about recruitment but he has been tactically subpar over the past few weeks. If you play without any genuine width then it affects the composure of the whole team because there is never an obvious 'out ball' - this I think is why there were so many misplaced passes today.

I have loads of passion and would also work my bolocks off, for my local team, for local people🤔. Even at the age of sixty I couldn't do much worse. I even once had trials for the Town boys.

Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #258 on: April 10, 2021, 19:34:16 pm »

Brady is a decent coach but is he a manager? Going forward, whichever division we are in, there is a huge rebuilding job to be done in the summer as many players are out of contract. Does anyone have confidence that Brady is the man to have in that position?

Thomas was hinting at an overhaul.....perhaps a Director of Football appointment is on the cards.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
guest3086

« Reply #259 on: April 10, 2021, 19:40:31 pm »

Brady is a decent coach but is he a manager? Going forward, whichever division we are in, there is a huge rebuilding job to be done in the summer as many players are out of contract. Does anyone have confidence that Brady is the man to have in that position?

Thomas was hinting at an overhaul.....perhaps a Director of Football appointment is on the cards.

Any 'overhaul' should include the Chairman who has been an abject failure and will drive us into non-league should he continue to speak from his arse.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: