The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 15:18:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Who's the best dead pop star you've ever seen? RIP.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who's the best dead pop star you've ever seen? RIP.  (Read 1157 times)
Shoemender

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« on: April 10, 2021, 21:35:47 pm »

As the match thread has died a death and the king of Scotland one has
declined into farce🤭 Thought I'd start a more interesting one.
Anyway, for me, it's Lemmy,  Kurt Cobain, Johnny Cash, Robert Calvert, Bon Scott, John Entwistle and many more. Did anyone ever see Hendrix, The Beatles , Jim Morrison, Marc Bolan,........ Queen or Prince🤓

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ragdoll Cobbler

View Profile
Linux User Level 5 1000 Posts
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 21:44:09 pm »

Keith Flint (The Prodigy)
Chester Bennington (Linkin Park)
Jon Bunch (Sense Field)
Scott Weiland (Stone Temple Pilots/Velvet Revolver)
Chris Cornell (Audioslave)
Michael Jackson

Was gonna go see Prince play Koko but regrettably worked instead...

Had tickets to see Nirvana for my 21st but Kurt decided to shoot himself before I got to see em live!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 21:46:39 pm by Ragdoll Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 21:55:55 pm »

As the match thread has died a death and the king of Scotland one has
declined into farce🤭 Thought I'd start a more interesting one.
Anyway, for me, it's Lemmy,  Kurt Cobain, Johnny Cash, Robert Calvert, Bon Scott, John Entwistle and many more. Did anyone ever see Hendrix, The Beatles , Jim Morrison, Marc Bolan,........ Queen or Prince🤓

Saw Queen, The Who, Buzzcocks, X-ray specs, Spiz Energie, Sham 69(at The Paddocks in Harpole), AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, Quo, Rush, Dire Straits, Huey Lewis, Police, Marilion(at the Nags Head in Wolaston), Elton John and Diana Ross(at a party), Alanis Morisette, Skids, Lena Lovich, Madness, ABC(worst band I ever saw), Stranglers and Midge Ure(in Bahrain of all places), RHCP, Nick Cave and the lightning Seeds(Guest spot by Kylie), Public Image, Cheap Trick, Pink Floyd, Roger Waters solo, Sade(got dragged along by the wife), Ian Gillan Band(at the County Ground got in for free by helping them with their kit), Scorpions(don't ask me why, my mate said it would be good), Eminem(current girlfrined likes him, surprisingly good), It Bites, Two below Zero. There are more, but the names escape me now(I'm getting on a bit). As for the best for action on the stage and a very long set with encore it has to be The Who(actually met Roger Daltry while fishing at his fishery).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 21:58:29 pm by singcobb » Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 22:10:44 pm »

Saw Queen, The Who, Buzzcocks, X-ray specs, Spiz Energie, Sham 69(at The Paddocks in Harpole), AC/DC, Thin Lizzy, Quo, Rush, Dire Straits, Huey Lewis, Police, Marilion(at the Nags Head in Wolaston), Elton John and Diana Ross(at a party), Alanis Morisette, Skids, Lena Lovich, Madness, ABC(worst band I ever saw), Stranglers and Midge Ure(in Bahrain of all places), RHCP, Nick Cave and the lightning Seeds(Guest spot by Kylie), Public Image, Cheap Trick, Pink Floyd, Roger Waters solo, Sade(got dragged along by the wife), Ian Gillan Band(at the County Ground got in for free by helping them with their kit), Scorpions(don't ask me why, my mate said it would be good), Eminem(current girlfrined likes him, surprisingly good), It Bites, Two below Zero. There are more, but the names escape me now(I'm getting on a bit). As for the best for action on the stage and a very long set with encore it has to be The Who(actually met Roger Daltry while fishing at his fishery).

Impressive, but only a few of those mentioned are actually dead, which is the point of this thread. What about Syd Barrett RIP?
Report Spam   Logged
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 22:35:55 pm »

Ian Curtis, Elliott Smith, Glenn Frey, John Lennon, Tom Petty and of course, David Bowie.
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 22:38:22 pm »

Only saw 3 of them live though !!
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 23:18:03 pm »

I saw the Beatles at what I have always called The Savoy in 1963 , when they were third on the bill behind Tommy Roe and Chris Montez. I had a free ticket, I can't remember much about the show although I did like both Chris and Tommy, whereas the Beatles were only just starting their career.

Most of the people I've seen in concert are still around thankfully, people like Brenda Lee, Duane Eddy, in the sixties and in more recent times Shania Twain and Nanci Griffith. As you can see I am not a big concert goer.
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 23:25:35 pm »

Impressive, but only a few of those mentioned are actually dead, which is the point of this thread. What about Syd Barrett RIP?

Mercury, Entwhistle, Polystyrene, Jak Airport, Bon Scott, Phil Lynot, Stuart Adamson, Rick Parfitt, Ari Up, Pete Shelley, Garth Smith, Neil Peart, John Rutsey, Dave Greenfield, John McGeoch and probably quite a few session musicians as well.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 00:25:36 am »

I saw the Beatles at what I have always called The Savoy in 1963 , when they were third on the bill behind Tommy Roe and Chris Montez. I had a free ticket, I can't remember much about the show although I did like both Chris and Tommy, whereas the Beatles were only just starting their career.

Most of the people I've seen in concert are still around thankfully, people like Brenda Lee, Duane Eddy, in the sixties and in more recent times Shania Twain and Nanci Griffith. As you can see I am not a big concert goer.

But at least you saw The Beatles, not many could compete with you on that score, considering they never played live after about
'65.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 08:34:32 am »

John Bonham.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 09:02:54 am »

Ian Curtis, Elliott Smith, Glenn Frey, John Lennon, Tom Petty and of course, David Bowie.

Elliott Smith was great, glad I got to see him live. He would have a been the perfect choice to make a soundtrack of this depressing season!.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 09:35:47 am by Winslow Lee » Report Spam   Logged
Athena

View Profile
Sixth year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 10:05:41 am »

Back in 1962 The Beatles played at Stowe School (which is beside Silverstone race circuit).  I think a pupil at the school had a father who was something to do (owned?) a football pools company in Liverpool and he knew Brian Epstein (Beatles manager) and asked if the group would do a concert there for his lads’ birthday.  It cost 6d (old money) to attend and was in the main theatre. We had to sit and remain seated and quiet during the concert.  They played for about half an hour and in I think it was Paul McCartney’s autobiography in which he recalls the concert and their visit to the school as perhaps the only one they ever played in which they could actually hear what they were playing.  I know they stayed the night at the ‘Green Man’ which is still situated on the A43 on the right as you travel to Brackley.  After the concert they were quite happy to chat to one and all and I had a piece of paper with all four of their autographs along with Brian Epstein’s and indeed the ‘roadie’ (cannot remember his name) who they had with them on the night.  I wish I knew what I did with that piece of paper as it would be worth a fortune now.  I’ve searched all my remaining childhood stuff many, many times looking for it over the years without success. Not sure what this has to do with NTFC but at least brings back some happy memories from what has been a torrid season.
Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 10:07:49 am »

Phil Lynott, Gary Moore, Joe Strummer, Lemmy (Playing a pinball at the Marquee), Bowie, Freddie Mercury, Stuart Adamson, the list is endless.
In answer to the thread question though, Joe Strummer.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 10:53:11 am »

I have not seen any dead pop stars. Seen a few live who have since died.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2021, 11:11:22 am »

I have not seen any dead pop stars. Seen a few live who have since died.

The only ‘stars’ worth watching for me were Branston, Ramscar, Holton, Eddie Eddie, Hill, Foley, Lines, Moore, Goode, Chucks and LJones plus many more. True Stars; not reefer smoking guitar strummers here today and soon forgotten!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2021, 11:24:30 am »

Back in 1962 The Beatles played at Stowe School (which is beside Silverstone race circuit).  I think a pupil at the school had a father who was something to do (owned?) a football pools company in Liverpool and he knew Brian Epstein (Beatles manager) and asked if the group would do a concert there for his lads’ birthday.  It cost 6d (old money) to attend and was in the main theatre. We had to sit and remain seated and quiet during the concert.  They played for about half an hour and in I think it was Paul McCartney’s autobiography in which he recalls the concert and their visit to the school as perhaps the only one they ever played in which they could actually hear what they were playing.  I know they stayed the night at the ‘Green Man’ which is still situated on the A43 on the right as you travel to Brackley.  After the concert they were quite happy to chat to one and all and I had a piece of paper with all four of their autographs along with Brian Epstein’s and indeed the ‘roadie’ (cannot remember his name) who they had with them on the night.  I wish I knew what I did with that piece of paper as it would be worth a fortune now.  I’ve searched all my remaining childhood stuff many, many times looking for it over the years without success. Not sure what this has to do with NTFC but at least brings back some happy memories from what has been a torrid season.

Great anecdote
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2021, 12:05:54 pm »

I locked this. Any issues, direct them to me.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: