The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 15:45:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

player pathway

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: player pathway  (Read 4623 times)
threeinabed

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2021, 07:22:09 am »

Wasn't sure which thread to post this to but Jay Williams has been released by Harrogate after making just 4 appearances. Seems like we should trust the club's judgement on him? Perhaps wasn't given enough opportunities to shine in his time here though. Hopefully he can get some regular game time in the National League and build a platform for a FL career!

cobblers fans in over hyping a mediocre youngster shocker!!
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2021, 05:45:19 am »

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/sampson-pleased-with-progress-as-cobblers-confirm-new-u18s-head-coach-3236342
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Mathius

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2021, 13:54:05 pm »

cobblers fans in over hyping a mediocre youngster shocker!!

JB might have a different view as Jay was back training with us for final few sessions.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2021, 14:18:45 pm »

JB might have a different view as Jay was back training with us for final few sessions.

probably needed the numbers with everyone injured
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2021, 14:59:24 pm »

What does it cost to develop the average youth player, and how many of the total developed eventually command a transfer fee at what value for their first transfer? A figure for each division would also be useful. Do the sums and ta-da, no more guess work, you know if it’s worth it? (Ta-da is an anagram of data, see what I did there?)
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
guest3355

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2021, 22:55:17 pm »

I actually think too much emphasis gets put on youth players and an academy, I get the romanticism of a local player coming good but reality is we don't get to see the best of them anyway.

Name me one club with a top class academy that has progressed up through the league and held their own in the Championship or Prem WITHOUT a f*** load of cash.

A decent youth system is helpful and important BUT if you don't have all the other pieces around it then it's pointless.
Report Spam   Logged
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2021, 11:54:29 am »

I haven’t bothered checking but where did our existing and recent players make the grade as a professional before sinking (or rising!) to our level?
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2021, 13:46:55 pm »

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/brady-pleased-with-progress-of-young-loan-trio-3386901
Report Spam   Logged

Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2021, 15:09:58 pm »

What was the crack with Tom Scott going to Sunderland? did we offer him a contract?
Report Spam   Logged

GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2021, 15:26:27 pm »

What was the crack with Tom Scott going to Sunderland? did we offer him a contract?

It was never mentioned that we had. He was on the same type of scholarship contract that Chucks was.....there was plenty of noise about him being offered a deal but I didn't hear anything about young Tom.

He went on trial to Sunderland and appeared in seven games between April and May....they saw enough from him to offer him a pro deal. So far this season he has played three games for their U23 setup. Will be interesting to see if he makes the squad for their upcoming Papa Johns Trophy game at Lincoln in a couple of weeks.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2021, 07:35:44 am »

https://www.ntfc.co.uk/news/2021/november/fayc_2r_reaction/
Our Youth team doing well in the FA Youth Cup... Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Risdene

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Level 4
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2021, 05:31:51 am »

BBC Sport are reporting Carney Chukwuemeka is refusing a new contract at Villa. Man City, Liverpool and Man Utd are interested.

I hope we have a good sell on clause!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Peter Frost

View Profile
1000 Posts Second year Anniversary Avatar
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2021, 08:03:41 am »

The assessment of players at that age is very difficult - undoubtedly we have let players go that could have made the grade and kept players that didn’t - most fans will see cameo performances that may flatter to deceive - they rarely see these youngsters play regularly and have no idea of their attitude to training, learning,  treatment to injuries etc. I believe the NTFC youth policy is overall pretty good but like most aspects of the club probably underfunded compared to clubs that seem to produce a conveyer belt of sellable talent - I suspect we rely on dedicated coaches working long hours for low remuneration and will sometimes make mistakes on who to let go and who to retain. I also suspect internet critics are sometimes disgruntled parents who have had hopes of their boys becoming premiership stars dashed.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2021, 09:03:35 am »

The assessment of players at that age is very difficult - undoubtedly we have let players go that could have made the grade and kept players that didn’t - most fans will see cameo performances that may flatter to deceive - they rarely see these youngsters play regularly and have no idea of their attitude to training, learning,  treatment to injuries etc. I believe the NTFC youth policy is overall pretty good but like most aspects of the club probably underfunded compared to clubs that seem to produce a conveyer belt of sellable talent - I suspect we rely on dedicated coaches working long hours for low remuneration and will sometimes make mistakes on who to let go and who to retain. I also suspect internet critics are sometimes disgruntled parents who have had hopes of their boys becoming premiership stars dashed.

A good post.
Scott Pollock could be a typical example of the former, from his on field performances he should be given more opportunity's, however we aren't aware of what is going on behind the scenes.
I hope that he is one of many that doesn't waste his potential and are able to enjoy the opportunitys that they have been provided.
Report Spam   Logged

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2021, 14:48:26 pm »

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/sammo-asks-cobblers-fans-to-turn-out-in-numbers-for-youth-teams-big-fa-cup-test-3480532

Need a football fix... Wink
Report Spam   Logged

MCHammer

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Apple User
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2021, 16:18:22 pm »

A good post.
Scott Pollock could be a typical example of the former, from his on field performances he should be given more opportunity's, however we aren't aware of what is going on behind the scenes.
I hope that he is one of many that doesn't waste his potential and are able to enjoy the opportunitys that they have been provided.

Some good points made.

I really like the look of Pollock but you have to say if it doesn't work for him under Brady then that would say more about the player than the club I feel.

I just can't shake this feeling that if he just got a run of games under his belt he might make it but the management don't seem to have that faith in him.
Report Spam   Logged
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2021, 15:44:10 pm »

It's sad that if a player doesn't kick on at a club there's this underlying suspicion that he's not applying himself.
He probably an extremely hard working professional and it could easily be that he's not able to make his mark on a game and it's all rather going on around him.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2022, 12:05:24 pm »

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/cobblers-youngsters-win-silverware-in-front-of-big-crowd-at-sixfields-3638045
Well done the U18s... Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: