The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 20:16:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The 100

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The 100  (Read 798 times)
singcobb

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Avatar Linux User
« on: July 23, 2021, 13:21:11 pm »

Watched my first game last night and I'm not too sure what to make of it.
The cricket itself is basically a shortened version of 20/20, I have no idea who it was that sang at halftime, but he was shíte, too many pundits/experts.
The crowd engagement was good, but I somehow don't think it is going to be the breeding ground of a new generation of cricketers.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 13:40:58 pm »

Whole thing seems a bit pointless and I’m not really sure what it adds, seems like an inferior T20 format. Just looks like they’ve added a load of needless gimmicks to differentiate it from the big T20 competitions around the world, I’m not a fan.
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 14:51:59 pm »

Whole thing seems a bit pointless and I’m not really sure what it adds, seems like an inferior T20 format. Just looks like they’ve added a load of needless gimmicks to differentiate it from the big T20 competitions around the world, I’m not a fan.

I think I would have rather them do a UK and Ireland Premier League inclusive of mens and womens teams.
Report Spam   Logged
Saint Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 15:35:57 pm »

Totally pointless competition. Who should you support and without a team to support why would you watch? And, it detracts from the county competition (one day cup). Bring on the 4 day game and England v India tests. I'm already fed up with the white ball biff bash.
Report Spam   Logged
singcobb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 15:43:43 pm »

Totally pointless competition. Who should you support and without a team to support why would you watch? And, it detracts from the county competition (one day cup). Bring on the 4 day game and England v India tests. I'm already fed up with the white ball biff bash.

I have to agree, with no actual team to cheer on it makes the whole thing pointless. OK I have watched some because I love the game, but it still feels a little flat. I would have rather there been an expanded county 20/20 to include the womens county sides and have all teams play each other and the points from both teams go towards the championship tally, or even better have north and south leagues and the top two from each go into a knock out at the end, that would bea great day out at Lords.
Report Spam   Logged
the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 16:47:11 pm »

I agree with the comments on here, and would add the atmosphere is flat. They are trying to attract a 'family audience' by not selling alcohol and banning records like Sweet Caroline, Hi Ho Silver Lining and songs like that because they don't want 'the boozy crowd' singing along and presumably ruining it for the kids. Frankly the crowd dressing up in costume and singing familiar songs at the top of their voices adds so much to the cricket. They even played rap today - who the hell wants to listen to rap at a cricket match ? well not me anyway.

I did actually watch the women's match from Manchester as the men's match at Lords was rained off and boy was it boring. Birmingham got 113 in their innings and Manchester could only muster up 90 in response. Hopefully the men's game will be better but I am not expecting much - the standard of cricket has been poor so far, but I guess it might improve when they get used to it. The competition hasn't been helped by so many players pulling out due to Covid reasons so a lot of players are involved that I have never heard of, although the young lad Brook did well yesterday.

Unless you support Lancashire, Yorkshire. Notts, Birmingham, Hampshire/Sussex, Surrey,  or Middlesex it's difficult to feel involved. There are two county players in the squads, Josh Cobb and Adam Rossington but neither have played and probably won't.

Whether I shall see it to the end is another thing. It might help if they get rid of that irritating **** Kevin Peterson.

Oh - and there is a test match that will take players away too - not an ideal way to sell a new tournament.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 16:52:30 pm by the grumpy old man » Report Spam   Logged
the grumpy old man

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 11:11:26 am »

The Hundred has now been weakened by a whole host of England players leaving the tournament to prepare for the test match against India starting next week.

Johnny Bairstow, Jos Buttler, Ben Stokes, (all captains), Joe Root, Ollie Pope (not played a game), Jofra Archer (not played a game), Sam Curran, Rory Burns (not played a game ), Zak Crawley , Dom Sibley (not played a game), are all down as England contracted, except Johnny Bairstow who has definitely gone. I assume they will play no further part in the tournament, although may be returned at some point I guess. Mark Wood is also down to play for London Spirit but hasn't been seen yet, so he may be injured. I cannot believe they have arranged a test series against India at the same time that they are trying to sell a new tournament to the public, especially as most of the original overseas stars (Warner, Smith, Stoinis, Pollard, Gayle and others) are not in attendance. Nasser Hussain has been saying the T20 blast has too many teams and the squads are a bit thin on star quality - well this tournament is going the same way.

On a local level it was good to see Josh Cobb get a game for Welsh Fire last night but why they bothered I don't know - their batting is so strong he was down at No 8 and didn't get a bat and neither did Bairstow bowl him. Furthermore the commentators didn't even mention his name despite the fact he took two catches. The crowd at Cardiff was poor also and made very little noise, even though they probably have the best side, on paper anyway.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 19:19:26 pm »

I've watched a bit of it over the last couple of nights and I just don't see the point. Made up teams in hideous kits playing a simplified version of the game, accompanied by loud noise, flashing lights and gaudy presentation. Cricket for the ADHD generation.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Keith

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2021, 22:48:46 pm »

I've watched a bit of it over the last couple of nights and I just don't see the point. Made up teams in hideous kits playing a simplified version of the game, accompanied by loud noise, flashing lights and gaudy presentation. Cricket for the ADHD generation.

Are you from Scotland
Report Spam   Logged
guest3429

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2021, 03:14:52 am »

Despite loving my cricket I've switched off too, the graphics are hideous and combined with the kits make the screen unwatchable.  Cool The forced entertainment and awkward interviews don't help. Rammed diversity and inclusivity played in an exploding paint factory.

I absolutely understand the need to make the game attractive to a new generation but all the ECB needed to do was to play T20 on a Saturday, Sunday afternoon and get it on on free to air TV. Maybe they should've ploughed their money into that instead.
Report Spam   Logged
the grumpy old man

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2021, 17:12:21 pm »

Most of the games have been low scoring affairs as the pitches have been abysmal for batting but they are starting to pick up now so I hope we will see more runs.

The county have now lost four players to the Hundred, how on earth they are supposed to compete in this Royal London One Day Cup with the squad down to the bare bones I do not know, albeit it's the same for all the counties. I cannot believe they are actually playing it at this particular time. Who the hell do they think is going to pay to watch it.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: