The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 15:18:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Port Vale at home Saturday 7th August 2021

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Port Vale at home Saturday 7th August 2021  (Read 18011 times)
OCoole

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Windows User Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #220 on: August 09, 2021, 20:10:52 pm »

Ahhh, but has he an almighty long throw?

He does! He is clearly Holt's 'regen'  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
OCoole

View Profile
Windows User Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #221 on: August 09, 2021, 20:20:07 pm »

Erm, no that's patently not true. With someone else on it could have 3-0, 0-0, or the 1-0 that it was.
Take it to the extreme... Lionel Messi already signed for us and takes BAS's place in the starting elven. Still think it would have ended 0-0 without BAS?

I understand the point you are trying to make. But the act of scoring goals is opportunistic! People are praising Rose's cameo as being an improvement on Benny's however he didn't get close to having a sniff on goal. A good forward finds the right position where the ball might fall to, as it did for Benny's goal, and takes advantage when the dice happens to roll a 6. If he fails to find the net in the next game then of course his general play will be under more scrutiny but whilst he is scoring winning goals you shouldn't get caught up in hypotheticals of who would have scored however many - and FWIW, I thought Kabamba played better than Benny, but succesful forward partnerships often involve a combination of a more selfish and a less selfish individual (and the more selfish is often the higher scorer).
Report Spam   Logged
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #222 on: August 09, 2021, 20:51:01 pm »

Pitching in here.
To me Rose did nothing. For all those folks that said he was a handful for the defence - no he wasn’t, they had him in their pocket. He drew a couple of dodgy fouls but other than that I didn’t see him make one successful pass or one successful run as a result of his antics. He gained no yardage advantage and I rather think their defenders were having a ball with him.
Hate to single someone out because I think it was a splendid team performance but I just can’t see the plaudits for Rose were justified. Benny to start above him at Colchester 100%
Mind you I thought Mills and McGowan had good games so what the fcuk do I know!!?
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #223 on: August 09, 2021, 23:31:57 pm »

goals
win
games

without BAS on for those 50 minutes - its 0-0.

Playing devils advocate the alternative player playing in his place may have scored or created a couple of assists, perhaps more than once? Just saying.

I think BAS is at a turning point, the goal has brought him some time but he needs to up his work rate, find more space, be more available for a pass and stay on his feet. This constant going down is starting to look like an excuse not to run. Players at this level nearly always come with issues, BAS seems to struggle with applying himself to off the ball work. However without seeing him in training it’s hard to gauge and that may be unfair. It does come across to me though that he will end up as yet another player with ability who just didn’t want it enough. One of those who gets to 35 and wonders what might have been. 
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
guest2995

« Reply #224 on: August 10, 2021, 07:17:37 am »

For me , the noticeable thing about our goal was the employment of a long throw to great effect .
In Division 2 that is undoubtably a weapon that will bring rewards .
Furthermore , you also get slow centre halves and their number 15 was a donkey who got turned over constantly before being substituted against our pace .
These things make a difference .
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #225 on: August 10, 2021, 07:49:37 am »

Playing devils advocate the alternative player playing in his place may have scored or created a couple of assists, perhaps more than once? Just saying.

And had he stayed on, he might have scored more, especially against 10 men and we might have won by more than 1-0. Speculation is pretty pointless.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #226 on: August 10, 2021, 08:18:59 am »

You’re right there is no way to know what would or wouldn’t have happened in any imaginary alternate scenario. What did happen was we took a 1-0 lead with him on and fail to score against 10 men when he went off I don’t have a problem with people still critiquing his overall performance but what gets me is how some posters on here go way beyond this and revel in the vitriol they give one of our players who is still young, learning his game and has just scored a winning goal for our team.

this
Report Spam   Logged
TownOwl

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #227 on: August 10, 2021, 09:29:37 am »

Whilst he never looks like scoring, I thought Vale's no21 did a brilliant job of holding the ball up front for them - like Bayo does.

Brady called Rose over for the sub within about a second of ANOTHER forward ball literally bouncing off BAS and dropping back to the Vale midfield. The ball wasn't sticking and as a result we were repeatedly losing possession. Brady thought Rose could retain possession better and in my opinion, he did that much better. He was good in the air and retained possession to bring others into the game or win a free kick. One of his better performances for me.

It's a tough job, but you have to be able to hold the ball for a few seconds with a CB trying to cut through you, and lay it off to a team mate. BAS needs to add this to his game if he's going to make it.
Report Spam   Logged

Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #228 on: August 10, 2021, 10:29:44 am »

True Supporter 😇
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest3338

« Reply #229 on: August 10, 2021, 13:34:46 pm »

Whilst he never looks like scoring, I thought Vale's no21 did a brilliant job of holding the ball up front for them - like Bayo does.

Brady called Rose over for the sub within about a second of ANOTHER forward ball literally bouncing off BAS and dropping back to the Vale midfield. The ball wasn't sticking and as a result we were repeatedly losing possession. Brady thought Rose could retain possession better and in my opinion, he did that much better. He was good in the air and retained possession to bring others into the game or win a free kick. One of his better performances for me.

It's a tough job, but you have to be able to hold the ball for a few seconds with a CB trying to cut through you, and lay it off to a team mate. BAS needs to add this to his game if he's going to make it.
Exactly how I see it.
I would not like to play against Rose as a defender at this level no matter how quick or how slow I was.
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 10, 2021, 16:56:04 pm »

That was the point.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #231 on: August 10, 2021, 19:04:22 pm »

I understand the point you are trying to make. But the act of scoring goals is opportunistic! People are praising Rose's cameo as being an improvement on Benny's however he didn't get close to having a sniff on goal. A good forward finds the right position where the ball might fall to, as it did for Benny's goal, and takes advantage when the dice happens to roll a 6. If he fails to find the net in the next game then of course his general play will be under more scrutiny but whilst he is scoring winning goals you shouldn't get caught up in hypotheticals of who would have scored however many - and FWIW, I thought Kabamba played better than Benny, but succesful forward partnerships often involve a combination of a more selfish and a less selfish individual (and the more selfish is often the higher scorer).

Did we have possession of the ball in the oppositions penalty area during the time Rose was on the pitch?
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #232 on: August 10, 2021, 20:18:02 pm »

Did we have possession of the ball in the oppositions penalty area during the time Rose was on the pitch?

Please Lord give me strength  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
45Yearsandstillsupporting

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #233 on: August 11, 2021, 10:03:40 am »

Few days late on this, but I thought first game of the season resulted in a good performance for us.  We could pick holes in some of the play, but it's developing into football that I am happy to pay to watch.  During KC's term there was time's even when we won I thought "I could have walked the dog".

I'm looking forward to seeing Etete play some minutes, perhaps he may have some time this evening against Coventry.  BAS scored the goal on Saturday, that's what he is there for in the main, but he has to start putting himself into challenges more, winning more headers even if they don't end up where he hopes.  Put yourself about Benny.  Rose won more headers but is shorter, was BAS watching and learning from Smith!

Roberts was solid, did what he had to do.  Koiki is one that we could look back at the end of the season and say ""Wow", but time will tell.

I think JB has a good squad, has coached younger players, why can't he coach this bunch?  Some may have set ways, but if they have open minds this season will be a good one.  Still saying we will be there at the end, looking to be promoted.

McGowan seems to have had some flack, but I think he'll be OK, voices his frustration at times, like to see some passion in there.

Report Spam   Logged
45Yearsandstillsupporting

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #234 on: August 11, 2021, 10:10:54 am »

Great win for both my sides today! really enjoyed "the squirrells" pre match. thanks to everybody for making me feel welcome.

utc ftpeterborough united.

Always squeezed for time getting to Sixfields for kick off, I live in Leicestershire too, born and bred Northampton.  Most people on the forum are spot on, odd person makes the odd remark, I just put it down to being like a text, sometimes it can be taken wrongly.

Good to see a fellow newbie!
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 11, 2021, 14:46:07 pm »

Great win for both my sides today! really enjoyed "the squirrells" pre match. thanks to everybody for making me feel welcome.

utc ftpeterborough united.
Legend has it Steve Massey once went into The Squirrels post match on a Saturday night with his wife. However he had to beat a hasty retreat as the pub wouldn’t stop singing “there’s only one Steve Massey”.
Report Spam   Logged

guest3063

« Reply #236 on: September 28, 2021, 14:00:14 pm »

I see Port Vale are now above us in 4th place  Shocked Some were suggesting we'd beaten a poor team following our 1-0 win in the opening game of the season.

Crawley beat Bradford City 2-1 on Saturday. Another team we "dropped" points against apparently. Speaking of Crawley, Mark Marshall has signed a month to month contract with them and made his debut as an 82nd minute substitute.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #237 on: September 28, 2021, 14:10:46 pm »

Some of our posters seemed to think Marshall should have been one of the first names on the team sheet last season although he usually only produced cameo performances and his defending cost us a few goals. Quite telling that he was not snapped up by another club and having been training with Crawley for months they have left it this late to offer him anything and now only a monthly contract.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #238 on: October 01, 2021, 07:55:21 am »

Some of our posters seemed to think Marshall should have been one of the first names on the team sheet last season although he usually only produced cameo performances and his defending cost us a few goals. Quite telling that he was not snapped up by another club and having been training with Crawley for months they have left it this late to offer him anything and now only a monthly contract.
The main difference between Mark Marshall and our current wingers is that Mark can actually cross the ball and beat a man with skill.
He’s knocking on a bit now but in his day absolutely quality.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: