The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 17:32:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Colchester United away 14.08.21

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Colchester United away 14.08.21  (Read 12670 times)
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2021, 17:46:11 pm »

Most of the preview has been done for me!!

Col U have played two and not scored, going down to a late goal against Birmingham in the Carabao Cup. They only made three changes from their league draw at Carlisle last week, former Cobbler Luke Chambers was onw who started the first game but didn't feature in the second, this was due to a "sickness bug".

United are managed by Hayden Mullins, a vastly experienced (600+ league games) former player who has taken the plunge into management. 10 games on the board for Col U so far, three wins and three defeats since taking over from Wayne Brown (interim) and Steve Ball.

Its now 30 years since Colchester were relegated to the Conference, they bounced back after two seasons and went up to the Championship for a couple of seasons (2006-8) before finding their way back to the bottom division in 2016 so are starting their 6th consecutive season at this level. They did make the playoffs in 2020 as did we, but Exeter beat them at the semi-final stage. Last season brought about a disappointing 20th place finish.

In that Championship season gates only reached 5500, no doubt restricted by the old and very quaint Layer Road ground. They left there in 2008 and moved into the new 10000 capacity Weston Homes Stadium as it was known for 10 years, and now a new naming rights deal sees it called the JobServe Community Stadium.

Cobblers and Colchester have met each other 73 times over the years, we hold the edge with 30 wins to 29, and in league games only its 26 wins apiece. We have met three times at the new ground, all in the league, with us tasting defeat twice (1-2 in 2009 and 0-1 in 2019), the other game seeing a Cobblers win back in 2018 as goals from Matt Crooks and Billy Waters helped us to a 2-1 win, a very late Aaron Pierre own goal wasn't enough for the visitors. Sam Hoskins played that day and picked up a yellow card, he is the only member of the matchday squad that day to still feature for us now. Of the last nine games between these two sides eight of them have ended in single goal victories, the only one that didn't was our heavy 4-0 home defeat to them in 2019. There have been no draws between these two in the last 15 games.

As already mentioned the veteran Luke Chambers now turns out for the Essex side following his release by Ipswich. He's now made over 700 league appearances and its 14 years since our former captain left Sixfields and headed for Forest. Luke only managed 1 goal for us in 149 appearances, he was a bit more prolific with Forest and Ipswich combined as he found the net a further 40 times.

Former Cobblers and Col U connections include their top scorers Tony Adcock (1983-87 and 1995-97), Scott McGleish (2001-2004) and a bit further back Trevor Lee (1979/80 season)

The Whistling Kettle will take charge of proceedings, fourth official in our opening game he reffed the Cambridge v Swindon goalless draw in Tuesday in the Cup, he dished out three yellows. 95 yellows and 5 reds last season in 33 games, we saw him twice (Fleetwood home, won 2-0 and 7 yellows and Portsmouth away, lost 0-4 with 3 yellows) as did Colchester (1-6 defeat to Exeter and 2-1 home win over Carlisle in March)
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2021, 19:31:34 pm »

Just purchased my match and car park ticket, what a palaver!!!  Cool
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2021, 19:57:59 pm »

To say there’s not any need for restrictions for this game, it is insane how hard they made it  Grin have to feel for Colchester fans who have to go through this every game.

After last night, I’ll be devastated if Etete doesn’t start with Kabamba. Think that pair will destroy league two back fours.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2021, 21:44:25 pm »

To say there’s not any need for restrictions for this game, it is insane how hard they made it  Grin have to feel for Colchester fans who have to go through this every game.

After last night, I’ll be devastated if Etete doesn’t start with Kabamba. Think that pair will destroy league two back fours.
Spot on Dan, it’s exciting to finally have two decent strikers with genuine pace.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2021, 22:26:26 pm »

McWillo, Bambi and ET will cause havoc for Col U.
Getting excited for this one.
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
Risdene

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Search Level 4
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2021, 03:53:03 am »

One of the easier grounds to get to and really looking forward to the game.

Lovely selection problem for JB.

Roberts

McGowan, Horsfall, Guthrie, Mills

Hoskins, McWilliams, Pinnock

Pollock

Kabamba, Etete

I think Lewis will get the nod ahead of Pollock, nice problem!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 04:00:55 am by Risdene » Report Spam   Logged
itsme

View Profile
500 Posts Topic Starter Combination
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2021, 07:11:00 am »

One of the easier grounds to get to and really looking forward to the game.

Lovely selection problem for JB.

Roberts

McGowan, Horsfall, Guthrie, Mills

Hoskins, McWilliams, Pinnock

Pollock

Kabamba, Etete

I think Lewis will get the nod ahead of Pollock, nice problem!

I also think Lewis will start ahead of pollock

Also think Connelly will start ahead of Hoskins not sure they'll want to risk Sam for a 2nd game in 3 days after no pre season
Report Spam   Logged
cobbler151

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 5 Search
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2021, 07:35:34 am »

100%, I even think Rose adds something to the mix.

Report Spam   Logged
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2021, 08:20:43 am »

I would love to see BAS kick on from his goal, As we could be in a position where we have 4 forwards fighting for places. It's been a while since we have had striking options that could change games on the bench.
Report Spam   Logged

Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2021, 08:54:16 am »

Just not goals! good assist for the Etete goal though
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2021, 09:49:22 am »

No need to be half apologetic as Rose does exactly what you say!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2021, 10:40:59 am »

Perhaps controversially but Rose would be fourth choice for me  Embarrassed he isn’t bad in the air but not good enough to be a starter as he won’t score enough. That said, he’s a better back up than most teams will have in our league.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
guest3338

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2021, 11:58:10 am »

McWillo, Bambi and ET will cause havoc for Col U.
Getting excited for this one.
Not to mention CarKey after last weeks cameo.
Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2021, 13:06:40 pm »

Etete played a full 90 minutes on Wednesday, after having not played any minutes for us before. While I'd be disappointed as he looks so promising, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't start.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2021, 13:49:47 pm »

Same team as last Saturday. With Hoskins replacing Chuk on the bench.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2021, 14:23:18 pm »

Not to mention CarKey after last weeks cameo.

Should have seen him 2nd half v Cov endeared himself to the faithful with his tackling and surges upfield particularly after the 52nd minute!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2021, 14:32:44 pm »

Boudicca, Romans getting destroyed...Good Fridays, Col U fans getting destroyed...11am k.o. at Layer Road, followed by Ipswich Town v West Ham...Humpty Dumpty...

Bring on Etete!
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2021, 17:17:21 pm »

Etete has to start surely ….. in place of BAS
i think Mcwilliams will replace Flores from last saturday and Connolly might also make way .
Etete and Kabamba up front together would be a real handful for the pensioner Chambers .
Report Spam   Logged
Keith

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2021, 19:17:34 pm »

Etete has to start surely ….. in place of BAS
i think Mcwilliams will replace Flores from last saturday and Connolly might also make way .
Etete and Kabamba up front together would be a real handful for the pensioner Chambers .

agree
Report Spam   Logged
BrixworthCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2021, 19:31:24 pm »

If Etete doesn't start we riot
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: