The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 20:57:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

First Cobblers game and at what age?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Cobblers game and at what age?  (Read 2703 times)
BrummieCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: August 20, 2021, 08:51:05 am »

Hi, first time poster here, although I’ve read the comments here for a long time!

I’m a Cobblers fan living in Birmingham, have only been able to make a handful of games each season for a long time now unfortunately due to various commitments, but am hoping to possibly make it tomorrow.

I have a 5-year-old son who I’m keen to take to his first game at some point. My question is, what’s the right age? Anyone able to offer any advice? Would be interested to know how old people were when they went to their first games or how old their kids were when they first took them too.

My first game was when I was 7, against Brighton at the County Ground in ‘87. Don’t remember much of the game but definitely remember the experience!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest1269

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 09:02:20 am »

Hi, first time poster here, although I’ve read the comments here for a long time!

I’m a Cobblers fan living in Birmingham, have only been able to make a handful of games each season for a long time now unfortunately due to various commitments, but am hoping to possibly make it tomorrow.

I have a 5-year-old son who I’m keen to take to his first game at some point. My question is, what’s the right age? Anyone able to offer any advice? Would be interested to know how old people were when they went to their first games or how old their kids were when they first took them too.

My first game was when I was 7, against Brighton at the County Ground in ‘87. Don’t remember much of the game but definitely remember the experience!

I think any game is suitable for an accompanied youngster - my only advice is to avoid a game where there might be a level of off field hostility as even from afar it can be upsetting- looking at this seasons teams I don’t really see any fixtures that would present that problem but I would probably avoid seats at the south end of the West stand
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 06:36:44 am »

My little girl is 4 and I've taken her to Sixfields 3 times. The first she was too small to really know much about it but didn't seem bothered.

The second she was quite happy and tottered around the ground at halftime, met Clarence and thought he was funny (until I tried to get her to stand with him while I took a photo. Apparently dragons are only funny at a distance and up close is a different matter!). She got a bit freaked out when we scored and everyone jumped up but soon calmed down.

Having had two relatively successful trips I took her to a third game, but we scored twice in quick succession early on. She freaked at the first goal and had only just calmed down when the second went in which set her off tenfold. I had to take her out to the concourse to calm her down where again she began to run around quite happily, but every time I tried to go back into the stadium itself she started screaming again so I missed most of the game!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
guest3338

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 08:18:47 am »

My little girl is 4 and I've taken her to Sixfields 3 times. The first she was too small to really know much about it but didn't seem bothered.

The second she was quite happy and tottered around the ground at halftime, met Clarence and thought he was funny (until I tried to get her to stand with him while I took a photo. Apparently dragons are only funny at a distance and up close is a different matter!). She got a bit freaked out when we scored and everyone jumped up but soon calmed down.

Having had two relatively successful trips I took her to a third game, but we scored twice in quick succession early on. She freaked at the first goal and had only just calmed down when the second went in which set her off tenfold. I had to take her out to the concourse to calm her down where again she began to run around quite happily, but every time I tried to go back into the stadium itself she started screaming again so I missed most of the game!

Why would you do that Botn? I see you as eminently sensible otherwise.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2021, 09:47:46 am »

Why would you do that Botn? I see you as eminently sensible otherwise.

Well, it's important to start the indoctrination early, isn't it? Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
guest49

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2021, 10:31:49 am »

1979, aged 9, home to Bournemouth, won 4 v 2. The days of George Reilly and crowds of 2,000. I was hooked from that point despite my Cobblers supporting experience being pretty dire until Mr Carr came along. From 82 I went to every home game for 10 years and 90% of away games, often falling asleep in class. Me and Random left a 6th form class in 1985 to go to Hartlepool away on a Tuesday night, we lost 2 v 1.
I’ve since seen the light!
Report Spam   Logged
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2021, 10:50:09 am »

April 85 was my first game aged 12. Continued since then and never once went with my parents or family as they never had any interest in football or sport in general whereas I cannot get enough.
Took my daughters when they were young enough not to have any choice and one was a mascot once and had her pre match photo with Danny Jackman.
 If they’re fairly young a pocket full of sweets and a well charged phone with a game or two on just in case may make it an easier experience.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 12:02:13 pm by Zen Master » Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
andycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2021, 12:14:51 pm »

1979,  aged 9. Beat Cambridge 4-2
Report Spam   Logged

if you hate peterborough clap your hands and Fxxk off poxford.
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2021, 12:57:20 pm »

Took my daughters when they were young enough not to have any choice and one was a mascot once and had her pre match photo with Danny Jackman.
Who was tallest?

Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
JohnWally

View Profile
Level 5 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2021, 13:07:23 pm »

1970   aged 7   Hereford in the FA Cup   Lost
Report Spam   Logged
itsme

View Profile
500 Posts Topic Starter Combination
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2021, 16:50:27 pm »

My first game was a certain win at wembley v Swansea couldn't have started any better
Report Spam   Logged
guest3338

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2021, 17:46:47 pm »

My first game was Oct 71 vs Rotherham but Villa lost and dad's spell failed.
Sometime later I transfered to the Cobblers. I think John Gregory may have gone the other way
Edit, aged 8.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2021, 20:11:22 pm »

2-1 loss to the Grecians at home. I think we finished a couple of places off relegation. Paul Reid was the hero. 37.
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2021, 20:18:22 pm »

My first game was against Villa: 1-1 at the County Ground in front of 15,000. We lost the replay either 3-1 or 3-0 in front of +27,000, and by then I was hooked. I assumed every game would see those levels of support. Grin Cry

As for when to first take the kids. I've tried a couple of mine from as young as four, and it doesn't work. They don't have the attention span at that age. A few of the others I waited until they were seven, and this seems to be the sweet spot - for the boys anyway. Grin
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 04:54:08 am by JollyCobbler » Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2021, 22:53:25 pm »

Sc***horpe United (h) 1979 0-0. Att: 2,120.
Though to be fair, should officially have been the season before - a 4-2 home defeat to newly elected into the league, Wigan Athletic!
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2021, 21:58:42 pm »

My first game was v Workington aged 10 in 1971 and we won 5-0. I always seemed to remember it was Barrow but I've just checked and we definately beat Workington by that score around that time. Like an earlier poster, my dad never  took me to a Cobblers game, not that he wasn't a football/sports fan, just that he was from the North East and was a Sunderland fan. He did take me and my brother to our first few games though; Arsenal v Newcastle at highbury in 1969 was my first ever game, it was on match of the day and the score....0-0, we went with some of his ex pat north east Newcastle supporting mates. He also took us to a couple of first division games at Leicester, pre Cobblers. I should add that my brother didn't follow my affilliation to NTFC and continued his childhood fixation with glory; 1970 and all that and never grew out of his misguided loyalty to a team of pensioners from London.
 My sons first game was v Hereford 2010 aged 5. Lost 4-3 after being 3-0 up at half time. Still didn't put him off though and is a season ticket holder and as keen as me to go to every game we can.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2021, 22:08:40 pm »

Forgot to add. My daughter used to come with me regularly for a few years in the 90's including the 2 Wembleys. She's now 37 and not really bothered about football although she did get interested when England got to the Semis and final of the Euros. Her interest, not surprisingly, soon waned again though.
Report Spam   Logged
cobbler151

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 5 Search
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2021, 08:57:30 am »

Boxing day 1991
Northampton 4 Halifax 0
I was Four
Hotel End, like a duck to water.
Life was changed from the first time the ball hit the net.

Report Spam   Logged
guest3359

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2021, 09:53:56 am »

Bury at home and we lost 1-0. I thought it was 1990 but looks like it was Sept 89, so not far off.
My kids aren't old enough yet but they will be taken to games, kicking and screaming if needed. I've had to endure it and so shall they  Evil Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2021, 10:43:54 am »

Swansea City at home on Valentine’s Day we lost 0-1.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: