The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 18:16:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Home against The Iron Saturday 04.09.21

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home against The Iron Saturday 04.09.21  (Read 7107 times)
guest3429

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2021, 05:38:31 am »

An interesting fact, David Bower was in attendance today, maybe fancied a day out from Dubai or read into that what you will.

Listening to the cricket yesterday, Michael Holding explained the only place in the world he could get a perfect pair of boots made was in Northampton.

Maybe he was buying some shoes?
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2021, 06:51:22 am »

The biggest positive is how solid we are looking at the back and how disciplined we are when defending across the pitch . There is always one player within 6 yards of another ready to support .
It is a good foundation to build on .
The full backs are now also slowly getting forward .
It is progress .
Clearly we lack flair and creativity in the final third but i think we have sacrificed that for solidity at the moment . Flores and Etete will get better and Pollock is to come .
I think we will get there .
Report Spam   Logged
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2021, 07:35:02 am »

Just surprised that you dismissed the two players concerned in your summary. The one thing Connolly did was to inject a bit of pace which in fact led to the second goal which we needed... don't you think! Easy to dismiss him as 'with no end product' but ignore the pluses. As for Lewis he did ok does the easy things efficiently, backed up by two terrific tackles second half in front of the West Stand opposite row approx N140/N180. The point is for me the two players put in reasonable shifts as they say on here. Connolly will trouble L2 defences as he is so damn quick. Talking a about speed, our right back astonished some of us in the West Stand with the speed he raced into attack/covered back! Roberts basically untroubled, with Kioki putting in his trademark surges upfield. As mentioned by someone else, does not always end with a promising pass. Thought he was a bit lose in his marking role too. Lewis workman like, covers a lot of ground and works hard. Flores did some good passing and certainly noticed him more today. Hoskins did well and was relieved to see him latch on to scramble the ball home. Thought Connolly shot had crossed the line? Ete caused them issues whilst he was on, might have scored once but felt he was falling over or slipping a little too often at times. Rose quite rightly man of the match and thought he was in the penalty area too when the guy was sent off. Kabamba offered little, funked some direct challanges and can't head the ball for toffee. Summary well we won more comfortably than the score suggests and above all Rose scored from open play and no wonder his teammates mobbed him after his first goal in 30. Like seeing records broken!
One last thought, at times we played like a team expecting to win with too much sideways and back movements. The injection of pace put an end to that dilly dallying.

A bit harsh to dismiss a player after coming on cold with 15 minutes to go don’t you think?
Report Spam   Logged
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2021, 07:38:58 am »

Well done lads. Scunny we’re appalling and we had an extra man for 70 mins but, as they say, you can only beat what is put in front of you.
The difference today were our 2 flank backs staying out wide and getting forward so readily. With Scunny only playing 1 up front and very little going on creatively in midfield, our very adequate defensive spine could easily handle things in our half.
So pleased to say the 2 individuals who I have previously thought a liability shone today. I thought, like others, Lewis and Rose had good games - long may it continue (against better teams with 12 players!).
Koiki definitely MOM for me. The only one that was slightly off the pace for me was Flores. But hey, JB should definitely consider starting that same 11 at FGR next week.
Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
Carton Lid

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2021, 09:06:12 am »

Listening to the cricket yesterday, Michael Holding explained the only place in the world he could get a perfect pair of boots made was in Northampton.

Maybe he was buying some shoes?
Grin
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2021, 09:48:08 am »

A good game yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. We played some good football at times, maybe lacking a little spark in the final third. Credit to Scunny though as they defended well with 10 men, but we broke them down in the end.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
guest2608

« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2021, 10:09:54 am »

Lol...
Cobblers fans when we get hammered by Sc***horpe... Which often happens.
"Were so s***, no movement, no scorers, sack em"

Cobblers  fans when we beat Sc***horpe.
"Sc***horpe are s***, we're s***, no movement, no scorers, sack em"
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2021, 10:54:05 am »

A comfortable win in the end although at half-time we were asking ourselves if we were going to break down the 10 men after they had cleared the Lewis effort off the line and their 'keeper made a good save to keep out Sam, up to that point they had defended well.
Fortunately we upped the tempo in the second half which caused them loads of problems. Nobody had a poor game and the central defenders were largely untroubled by a impotent scunny attack, although we had a couple of hairy moments in the first half. Most successful teams are built on a solid defense and our is looking pretty good, we certainly are not missing Lloyd Jones and for that matter Watson also.
I think we got a little bit lucky with the sending off as it came from a hurried clearance from McGowan which fortunately fell into Rose's path to chase. No doubt about the decision as it was a clear red but most where I sat expected a penalty but seeing the incident again the ref got it right.
The only downside was that we should have scored 4 with the other chances we had. It would have been easier to score from the 6 yard line than put the ball over the stand, Kabamba had a one on one with the 'keeper among other chances.
Good to see Rose on the scoresheet which he deserved given his alround display. For the second the ball broke kindly for Connolly and we thought the ball had already crossed the line before Sam applied the finishing touch.
So up to 5th in the table which does not tell us much as we have not played anybody above 10th place yet. With 3 of our next 4 away I think we will have a better idea come the end of the month. From what I have seen from the teams that have come here and from tv highlights and results there does not seem to be a stand out team in the division so every reason to be optomistic.
Report Spam   Logged
FezNTFC

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2021, 11:58:59 am »

We went far more route one than I expected in the game, but it seemed to be a targeted ploy to get in behind their defence - and it did, even if was inadvertent, lead to their man getting sent off.

I'd been uninspired by Paul Lewis so far but thought he had a good game yesterday and was effective at nicking back possession and being given the freedom to get forward a bit more. He should have had one at least and could have bagged a couple.

I was very impressed with the centre-backs once again, they look like a really solid partnership and Horsfall is now consistently one of our best players which is a real credit to him and his development from the start of last season. Was also impressed with both full-backs, and may be in the minority of people who preferred Koiki to Mills anyway in terms of what he offers going forward.

Probably the best game I've seen Danny Rose have for us, and just in time really as I was beginning to question if he offers anything more than hard work after an incredibly long spell for a striker without scoring. Hopefully this leads to a bit of a run for him now, as I think him and Etete could be a very awkward duo for defenders in this league.

Obviously the plus point to the start of this season is 4 cleans sheets in 5 games. It bodes well as any organised team is pretty much always in the running for promotion.
Report Spam   Logged
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2021, 12:40:01 pm »

Keeper did what he needed to, commanded his box but caught the Scunny distribution bug in the second half with a number of kicks sailing into touch.
Defence looked solid, centre backs not troubled with full backs pretty involved going forwards. This meant that the midfield pairing of Lewis and Flores were hardly noticed by me, we played more with width than going through the middle.
Etete a handful but well done Danny Rose on todays performance, put himself about, got the red card with a somewhat theatrical dive (not saying it wasn't a foul but he made the most of it), Hoskins involved in bits and pieces but Pinnock less so.

Connoly looked quick when he came on and ran at people, stumbling through on more than one occasion but little end product. Kabamba barely got a touch and McWilliams shored up the middle in his short stint.

Overall, not really troubled, large parts of the game non-descript, we looked good when we injected a bit of pace into proceedings such as the last minute chance in the first half and the opening goal. Otherwise a bit too cautious and probing for my liking. Scunny no great shakes although number 7 (Green) stood out as a level above the rest of them.

Lewis not noticed?  He could and probably should have scored 4 himself

Very little atmosphere, not helped by smaller away followings and them being put in the East Stand now too...... three points on the board though, I guess that's what its all about!

Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2021, 12:51:14 pm »

Lol...
Cobblers fans when we get hammered by Sc***horpe... Which often happens.
"Were so ****, no movement, no scorers, sack em"

Cobblers  fans when we beat Sc***horpe.
"Sc***horpe are ****, we're ****, no movement, no scorers, sack em"

They love a good moan mate. And they love a bit of muck racking even more. 😀😀
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2021, 20:13:45 pm »

A bit harsh to dismiss a player after coming on cold with 15 minutes to go don’t you think?

Not sure who you are referring to. If it was Kabamba I thought he was ineffective when compared with Connolly. Your comments don't make footballing sense as in the next game he might do a lot better. He was ok against Sileby but has not really made a great impression since....imo of course!  If he can't win headers as a striker then he will have a disappointing season here....? Equally it is very harsh to criticise Mills with ungentlemanly and repetitive sarcastic comments. The guy suffered serious injury on behalf of his team. Enjoy your hot chocolate and get to bed early and give school a chance.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Larry

View Profile
Search Fourth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2021, 20:29:04 pm »

They love a good moan mate. And they love a bit of muck racking even more. 😀😀

They?
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2021, 20:50:39 pm »

Scunny were woeful. Not sure I’ve seen a more gutless opposition, I’d be amazed if there is one team worse than them at the end of the season.

That said, we played well. Things are starting to come together for sure with a players getting up to speed. Rose scoring was massive. You could see the relief in his celebration and it was great to see every outfield player run over to him. Really hope he goes on a nice little run of goals now, fair play Danny. I was also very impressed with Connolly, Koiki and McGowan. The CBS don’t need a mention, everyone knows how good they are.

Four clean sheets from five games is insane. A defence that solid = serious promotion candidate.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2021, 16:32:06 pm »

Bringing on Connolly who is quick against a team who had played a long period with 10 men is a logical substitution.
 I still want to see our centre midfield break forward with the ball to open up games and give the likes of Etete more freedom towards goal.
Defensively I agree we look pretty solid it’s just the goals scored that bothers me.
All told the team is starting to gel.
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #95 on: September 06, 2021, 19:58:18 pm »

They?

Yeah… You know…. Them
Report Spam   Logged
Knockingonabit

View Profile
Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Combination
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2021, 08:07:36 am »

Wot, that lot with Van Morrison?
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #97 on: September 07, 2021, 09:25:42 am »

Wot, that lot with Van Morrison?

Nothing wrong with the IvanMorrison’s, excellent filter for Sainsbury’s  Cool
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 09:29:19 am by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: