The Hotel End
April 16, 2024, 20:26:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The Rise of Sam Hoskins

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Rise of Sam Hoskins  (Read 80858 times)
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #320 on: August 09, 2022, 15:28:14 pm »

Sam has now overtaken Ernie Cockle, Billy Pease (went on to play for England), Phil Chard and Richard Hill in league goals.
and is now joint 20th in overall goals with Archie Garrett, Billy Best and Scott McGleish.

It doesn’t really mean much unless it’s stacked up against games played. Or even minutes.

In addition to that, I would also take into account penalties.

Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 09, 2022, 16:21:42 pm »

Sam Hoskins - best ever Cobblers penalty taker.

Another box ticked.
Report Spam   Logged
Bingers

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day 5000 Posts Avatar
« Reply #322 on: August 09, 2022, 17:17:19 pm »

It doesn’t really mean much

Oh yes it does!

Think how much pleasure each and every one of those has given you. They all mean something, regardless of minutes played. And there have been more of them than pretty much every other person who has played for the Mighty Cobblers.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2015
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #323 on: August 09, 2022, 18:48:20 pm »

Jon Brady has improved Sam beyond recognition FACT.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #324 on: August 10, 2022, 11:22:56 am »

It doesn’t really mean much unless it’s stacked up against games played. Or even minutes.

In addition to that, I would also take into account penalties.

Lots more to consider

Position played in
           Formation used
           Manager's playing style
           The Weather
           The state of the pitch
           Playing kit, could his team mates see him?
           Daylight or Floodlights?
           Had he forgotten his lucky pants?
           Were supporters for or against him?

I sure people can think of other factors
Or we can keep it simple and count the number of goals scored Huh?

Report Spam   Logged
TPFKA Marvo

View Profile
1000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day 500 Posts
« Reply #325 on: August 10, 2022, 12:57:52 pm »

The problem with just looking at the overall total is it's pretty irrelevant.

Imagine, the world's greatest darts player rocks up at Carr's bar, throws three darts, all hit the bullseye. I then have a go and 100 throws later I hit my fourth bullseye. Am I now the world's best player, I mean I got one more bullseye? Of course not, that would be silly.

As for the examples given, I'm sorry to say I never saw Ernie Cockle, Billy Pease or Archie Garrett play. However, I did see Phil Chard, Richard Hill, Scott McGleish and Billy Best and in my opinion, Sam Hoskins is nowhere near as good as any of them.

However, Sam has a contract for two more years (at least) and even at his current ratio of 1 goal every 5 games he should overhaul several more players in the list, including the likes of Paul Stratford, John Fairbrother, Mark Richards, Ian Benjamin, even Bayo. What we can take from that I don't know, but it will nevertheless be some achievement.
Report Spam   Logged

It's all about balance.
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #326 on: August 10, 2022, 14:18:37 pm »

I've had this debate time and time again. One thing I will say though again, I've been convinced for several seasons that Sam has what it takes to be a 20 goal a season goal scorer.

I've no idea who the last one we had was (lets just stick to league goals here) - maybe Super Sam will manage to hit that target this time round. He only needs 17 goals from 44 matches!

What Manwork says though is bang up....Brady has helped improve him beyond recognition. His end product these days is far more consistent than it was a few years ago and he is finally fulfilling the potential he has always had. Lets hope his upward protectory continues and he plays his best football in his 30's, like Grayson arguably did. Or looking elsewhere, Vardy.

Without question, if I was Brady Id be playing down the middle, whether that's right up top or just behind I'm not too bothered. His finishing at the minute is sublime....and he's full of confidence.
Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #327 on: August 10, 2022, 14:57:21 pm »

Interesting debate on how much Hoskins has improved. While Marvo's stat of 1 goal in 5 is not that impressive compared to other Cobblers goalscorers, it's also fair to say that Hoskins is not always (or even usually) played as an out and out striker and thus his strike rate should not be compared to Marc Richards for example.

Having said that, there's no doubt that he's improved under Brady both in terms of goals scored and assists. He now has 16 league goals in his last 48 league appearances from 2021-22 and the first 2 games of this season (according to Google) which is exactly a 1 goal per 3 games strike rate. He also has  10 assists in that time. In the previous 3 seasons, over 115 league games, he scored 20 goals and contributed 10 assists. Just those figures are enough to show a clear progression.

The argument that he scores more now because he takes penalties, is only partially valid in determining goalscoring prowess. After all, Hoskins only keeps taking the penalties because he keeps scoring them. If he didn't, someone else would be taking them.
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 10, 2022, 16:14:27 pm »

Lots more to consider

Or we can keep it simple and count the number of goals scored Huh?

Whilst I appreciate your stunning repartee, it is absolutely relevant to look at penalties and time on the pitch.

As Margo says, he scores roughly one goal every five games. On the surface that looks ok. But if you take away the penalties (and I’m not sure of how many are penalties) it’s probably quite a poor return. It gives any player a huge advantage over his team mates if he takes the penalties, so it should be absolutely part of any calculations.

Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #329 on: August 10, 2022, 16:25:24 pm »

Whilst I appreciate your stunning repartee, it is absolutely relevant to look at penalties and time on the pitch.

As Margo says, he scores roughly one goal every five games. On the surface that looks ok. But if you take away the penalties (and I’m not sure of how many are penalties) it’s probably quite a poor return. It gives any player a huge advantage over his team mates if he takes the penalties, so it should be absolutely part of any calculations.

You've ruined it now for Frank Lampard. There's me thinking his goal scoring record was incredible for a midfielder. However a quick google search shows, 43 of his premier league goals were penalties. Take them off of the total....bog standard player!!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: August 10, 2022, 16:28:28 pm »

The more variables you bring into a statistic the more insightful and accurate, a bit like AI and machine learning. FACT.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 10, 2022, 16:36:34 pm »

As Margo says,

Was that a Freudian slip ?
Report Spam   Logged
TPFKA Marvo

View Profile
1000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day 500 Posts
« Reply #332 on: August 10, 2022, 16:42:06 pm »

As Margo says,

Well, I do enjoy the Good life.  Grin Grin Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

It's all about balance.
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 10, 2022, 16:44:21 pm »

😂😂😂

The joy of mobile phones.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 10, 2022, 16:44:38 pm »

The good old days…. Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #335 on: August 10, 2022, 17:03:26 pm »

For the record Sam has scored 11 out of 12 penalties while playing for the Cobblers. I certainly can't think of any Cobblers player in my lifetime who would be able to better that. Take a bow that man and long may it continue!
Report Spam   Logged
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #336 on: August 10, 2022, 17:10:34 pm »

for the record, the last 20 league goalscorer we had was Richard Hill, so.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3529

« Reply #337 on: August 10, 2022, 17:11:24 pm »

Interesting debate on how much Hoskins has improved. While Marvo's stat of 1 goal in 5 is not that impressive compared to other Cobblers goalscorers, it's also fair to say that Hoskins is not always (or even usually) played as an out and out striker and thus his strike rate should not be compared to Marc Richards for example.

Having said that, there's no doubt that he's improved under Brady both in terms of goals scored and assists. He now has 16 league goals in his last 48 league appearances from 2021-22 and the first 2 games of this season (according to Google) which is exactly a 1 goal per 3 games strike rate. He also has  10 assists in that time. In the previous 3 seasons, over 115 league games, he scored 20 goals and contributed 10 assists. Just those figures are enough to show a clear progression.

The argument that he scores more now because he takes penalties, is only partially valid in determining goalscoring prowess. After all, Hoskins only keeps taking the penalties because he keeps scoring them. If he didn't, someone else would be taking them.
For the record, how many of the last 16 league goals (in 48 league appearances) have been penalties?
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #338 on: August 10, 2022, 17:19:48 pm »

Was that a Freudian slip ?

Grin

Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #339 on: August 10, 2022, 17:28:03 pm »

For the record, how many of the last 16 league goals (in 48 league appearances) have been penalties?

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: