The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 09:37:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The Rise of Sam Hoskins

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Rise of Sam Hoskins  (Read 80877 times)
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #440 on: September 24, 2022, 18:55:22 pm »

https://twitter.com/bet365/status/1573676541384458240?t=C8ZQkKyJWgcfLxSRC08-PA&s=19
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #441 on: September 24, 2022, 19:47:49 pm »

Sam's a total machine at the moment… I am genuinely pleased for him. He’s even got a bit of swagger on him. Good lad, keep it going.
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 25, 2022, 10:38:05 am »

Sam's a total machine at the moment… I am genuinely pleased for him. He’s even got a bit of swagger on him. Good lad, keep it going.

I noticed that too. I hope pride doesn't come before a fall.
Report Spam   Logged
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #443 on: September 25, 2022, 13:56:44 pm »

Has overtaken Marc Richards to move into 16th place in overall goals. 4 behind Ian Benjamin.
moved ahead of Jock Manning in league appearances.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #444 on: September 26, 2022, 07:22:29 am »

He is shooting on instinct which he never used to do - shows what confidence does for you .
When was the last time we had a 20 plus scorer in a season ? Bayo ?
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 26, 2022, 07:57:16 am »

He is shooting on instinct which he never used to do - shows what confidence does for you .

Bayo didn't.
Report Spam   Logged

guest3481

« Reply #446 on: September 26, 2022, 08:14:40 am »

Looking back quickly I cant see that anyone has done it this millennium. Bayo and Rico both with 18 the closest.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #447 on: September 26, 2022, 08:22:56 am »

Looking back quickly I cant see that anyone has done it this millennium. Bayo and Rico both with 18 the closest.
wasn’t McGleish the last one ?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3529

« Reply #448 on: September 26, 2022, 08:43:59 am »

I would disagree about that.
He has always had a pop at goal, just up until very recently a majority of his strikes were blocked or high wide and handsome.
Is this new goalscoring prowess down to luck, improvement in technique at the ripe old age he now is, change in the way are playing as a team, confidence?
I'd say it is a combination of all these things.
He should be on for 20 because he has maintained a steady flow of goals throughout his Cobblers career, but don't be surprised if his end season total is not much more than that apparently mystical figure.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3481

« Reply #449 on: September 26, 2022, 08:46:24 am »

wasn’t McGleish the last one ?
Yep looks like you are correct.
05/06 - 24 Goals. 17 in the league, 4 FA Cup, 1 League Cup, 2 other(?)

(I must have been looking at just league goals. Thats my excuse anyway)
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #450 on: September 26, 2022, 09:40:54 am »

I would disagree about that.
He has always had a pop at goal, just up until very recently a majority of his strikes were blocked or high wide and handsome.
Is this new goalscoring prowess down to luck, improvement in technique at the ripe old age he now is, change in the way are playing as a team, confidence?
I'd say it is a combination of all these things.
He should be on for 20 because he has maintained a steady flow of goals throughout his Cobblers career, but don't be surprised if his end season total is not much more than that apparently mystical figure.

I think a lot of it is composure. He always used to just hit it as hard as he could whenever he had a sight of goal but now he places it.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #451 on: September 26, 2022, 10:05:39 am »

practice makes perfect.
success breeds confidence.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3529

« Reply #452 on: September 26, 2022, 11:35:25 am »

I'd absolutely agree about the confidence thing.
To me he's never seemed the most confident of players, though his penalty conversion rate would suggest otherwise.
I have this image of Sam trotting over in front of the North stand to take a corner with his head down and looking at his feet. Contrast that body language to for example Matt Taylor who I seem to remember came in for a lot of stick for not clearing the first defender and less than politely suggesting to one of his critics to have a go if he thought he could do better.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #453 on: September 26, 2022, 12:01:00 pm »

He's always had it in him to be a '20 goal season' goal scorer.

Probably about the 20th time over the years I've made this point on this forum. Check out the top scorers in league2 and league1 from say 3, 4 or 5 years ago and see how many are still 'banging them in'. Most of the time a player has 1 or 2 very decent seasons in front of goal.

Quite a recent great example - Paul Mullin when he was at Cambridge. Hardly scored before that season.
Don Telford, another good example. Both these players were mid 20's when they finally 'got going' and neither has proved yet whether or not they can sustain it!

Previous records mean very little. I have always argued that Super Sam's overall contribution is why he should be in the team week in week out, not because of his goal scoring record which many were obsessed with for some reason. During the last 12 months his finishing has massively improved, he does think about it before he hits the ball, whereas before he would often just smash it. Confidence will no doubt have a lot to do with it as well...

Long may it continue!
Report Spam   Logged
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #454 on: September 26, 2022, 12:02:13 pm »

Yep looks like you are correct.
05/06 - 24 Goals. 17 in the league, 4 FA Cup, 1 League Cup, 2 other(?)

(I must have been looking at just league goals. Thats my excuse anyway)

So who was our last player to score 20 plus LEAGUE goals? I'm guessing Richard Hill 1986/87?
Report Spam   Logged
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #455 on: September 26, 2022, 12:04:17 pm »

Has overtaken Marc Richards to move into 16th place in overall goals. 4 behind Ian Benjamin.
moved ahead of Jock Manning in league appearances.

Can anyone post the list of appearance records and goal records so we can see what is above him?
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 26, 2022, 12:18:27 pm »

Can anyone post the list of appearance records and goal records so we can see what is above him?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Northampton_Town_F.C._records_and_statistics
Report Spam   Logged

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 26, 2022, 12:21:38 pm »

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/northampton-town/toptorschuetzensaison/verein/1302/plus/0?wettbewerb_id=liga&pos=alle

Top league scorers by season from 2000/01.
Report Spam   Logged

guest3529

« Reply #458 on: September 26, 2022, 12:33:23 pm »

He's always had it in him to be a '20 goal season' goal scorer.

Probably about the 20th time over the years I've made this point on this forum. Check out the top scorers in league2 and league1 from say 3, 4 or 5 years ago and see how many are still 'banging them in'. Most of the time a player has 1 or 2 very decent seasons in front of goal.

He hasn't got there yet.
By definition then, so has every striker!
Report Spam   Logged
Melbourne Cobbler

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Avatar Search
« Reply #459 on: September 26, 2022, 13:05:17 pm »

I was a little kid at the game when Paul Stratford got his first hat-trick at 19 (listed in the records). Sam only needs 4 more to overtake who I consider the best striker I have seen in a Cobblers shirt.
Report Spam   Logged

Not a real supporter but unelected chair of the Northampton Town Honorary Supporters Club. (Please note: any opinions given may not necessarily be shared by proper supporters. In incidents of conflict the views of real supporters shall take precedence).
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: