The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 15:52:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The Rise of Sam Hoskins

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Rise of Sam Hoskins  (Read 79712 times)
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Mobile User
« on: September 03, 2021, 10:17:37 am »

Sam Hoskins made his 250th appearance (all competitions) for Northampton against Forest Green, an achievement currently matched by Frank Large. Up next in his sights are John Farrington, Wakeley Gage, Don Martin and John Frain in his next 3 games. This thread will attempt to keep up to date with the rise up the appearance ladder.

With a vocal number of 'supporters' claiming that Sam will 'never be good enough for us', 'has no end product', is 'inconsistant', and 'we will never be good enough to get promoted with him in the team' ... while having the cognitive dissonance to simultaneously claim that all they want from a player is to 'give their all for the club'. Well don't take my view on it but one of the 7 managers to put him in their team - here is Jon Brady;

"He's got two promotions with the club and 250 games shows a lot of loyalty and he's usually up for selection every week because he's fit and he's robust and he's a great servant. He gives everything he's got every time he plays and you can't ask for much more than that. Let's hope he continues making a lot of appearances for this club. I've said before, everyone at this club, we appreciate him and his hard work and his efforts in our team."

Feel free to continue the praise below...
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest3063

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 10:28:57 am »

All I'll say is Sam Hoskins is a very loyal and versatile footballer. Every club needs a Super Sam and hopefully he'll chalk up many more games for our club.

You only miss things/people when you no longer have them and that will be the same with Sam when he does leave one day. He can frustrate at times but most players do at league 1/2 level.

Keep up the good work Sam our super right back, left back, centre back, wing back, midfielder, winger and striker  Grin         
Report Spam   Logged
Gazman

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 10:34:03 am »

Sam is our version of James Milner or Gareth Barry, one of those players who fans don't generally appreciate but must be doing something right as manager after manager keeps picking them.
We know his finishing could be better but you can't knock him and the effort and dedication he has put in during his time here. Most other players with 250 games behind them would be given legendary status. I am not saying he should be given that tag but maybe we should accept that he is better than we give him credit for and deserves more respect from the fans. Fair play to him.

Report Spam   Logged
Gazman

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 10:34:36 am »

All I'll say is Sam Hoskins is a very loyal and versatile footballer. Every club needs a Super Sam and hopefully he'll chalk up many more games for our club.

You only miss things/people when you no longer have them and that will be the same with Sam when he does leave one day. He can frustrate at times but most players do at league 1/2 level.

Keep up the good work Sam our super right back, left back, centre back, wing back, midfielder, winger and striker  Grin         

+1
Report Spam   Logged
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 10:44:01 am »

...a few of the players Sam has overtaken in the list over the past year include Fred Lessons, Mike Everitt, Warren Donald, Ray Warburton, Theo Foley and Keith McPherson.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 11:14:47 am »

Sam Hoskins made his 250th appearance (all competitions) for Northampton against Forest Green, an achievement currently matched by Frank Large. Up next in his sights are John Farrington, Wakeley Gage, Don Martin and John Frain in his next 3 games. This thread will attempt to keep up to date with the rise up the appearance ladder.

With a vocal number of 'supporters' claiming that Sam will 'never be good enough for us', 'has no end product', is 'inconsistant', and 'we will never be good enough to get promoted with him in the team' ... while having the cognitive dissonance to simultaneously claim that all they want from a player is to 'give their all for the club'. Well don't take my view on it but one of the 7 managers to put him in their team - here is Jon Brady;

"He's got two promotions with the club and 250 games shows a lot of loyalty and he's usually up for selection every week because he's fit and he's robust and he's a great servant. He gives everything he's got every time he plays and you can't ask for much more than that. Let's hope he continues making a lot of appearances for this club. I've said before, everyone at this club, we appreciate him and his hard work and his efforts in our team."

Feel free to continue the praise below...

it's the equivalent of picking someone on a sunday morning because "he turns up every week and collects the subs"
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2021, 12:10:25 pm »

it's the equivalent of picking someone on a sunday morning because "he turns up every week and collects the subs"

Yep, that's why all 7 of the managers he's played under have picked him for the vast majority of games in which he's been available for selection, with him only playing a bit part role under Wilder (who must still have rated him as he was the one that signed him in the first place!)

Sammy is hugely underrated by elements of our support and I've never got it. He's a willing runner, can tackle, is pretty quick, utterly committed and has an incredible engine that sees him running and running for the whole 90 minutes of a match. I think that often sees people sneer at those who will "cheer anyone that runs about a lot", but that sort of tempo adds a lot to the side. On top of all that he's now played in every position except goalkeeper for us at some stage so is the most flexible player we have. He's also tricky and skilful and opponents must hate seeing him run at them.

Yes, his finishing, crossing and passing all vary from the sublime to the ridiculous but given his other attributes, if he could find consistency in any of those last three then he wouldn't be playing for us.

He's been a great servant for the club and I hope he stays with us for years to come.

Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
guest49

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 12:22:24 pm »

He'll never be good enough for some and the usual 'get out' is "it's only because he isn't good enough for anyone else"
Of course this isn't true or else you could pull that out from anyone from Sammo to Messi. Some players are just not journeymen but they are few and far between.

He's a solid, hard working and loyal lower league player, who clearly enjoys playing for the club. I'm sure he wishes his career would have reached greater heights with us, or someone else but he continues to contribute and subsequent managers clearly value his worth.

Congrats on the appearances and the few haters are always gonna hate.
Report Spam   Logged
the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2021, 12:24:47 pm »

He gets a thumbs up from me. When we are televised live the commenters all seem to rate him and they should know better than most. Adam Virgo excepted of course.
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2021, 12:29:01 pm »

Quote from Brady about him having two promotions with the club does appear to be missing the equally relevant fact that he’s got two relegations with the club also. He is someone who’s a reasonable league two player and out of his depth at league one. If he was good enough, bids would have come in. (Just seen cobblestones post, yep I’m one of those you mention 👍🏽).

In fairness he’s  been alright this season so far. Don’t mind him at right back and sooner see that than Harriman. Maybe not saying much there but he’s done okay. I’d have also played him in goal over Mitchell and Cornell.

250 is still impressive regardless so fair play.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
guest3086

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2021, 13:53:11 pm »

Is someone going to begin a thread 'The Fall(s) of Benny Ashley Seal'?
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2021, 14:05:34 pm »

+1

It is clear some on here know better than all the recent Managers incl the great CW! If we had 11 players all with the same attitude we would still be in League One easily; even pushing for the Championship!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest3338

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2021, 14:12:37 pm »

Yep, that's why all 7 of the managers he's played under have picked him for the vast majority of games in which he's been available for selection, with him only playing a bit part role under Wilder (who must still have rated him as he was the one that signed him in the first place!)

Sammy is hugely underrated by elements of our support and I've never got it. He's a willing runner, can tackle, is pretty quick, utterly committed and has an incredible engine that sees him running and running for the whole 90 minutes of a match. I think that often sees people sneer at those who will "cheer anyone that runs about a lot", but that sort of tempo adds a lot to the side. On top of all that he's now played in every position except goalkeeper for us at some stage so is the most flexible player we have. He's also tricky and skilful and opponents must hate seeing him run at them.

Yes, his finishing, crossing and passing all vary from the sublime to the ridiculous but given his other attributes, if he could find consistency in any of those last three then he wouldn't be playing for us.

He's been a great servant for the club and I hope he stays with us for years to come.

You've gone and done it again BOTN.
'He can tackle'
I'm afraid I strongly disagree. If he could tackle he would have made a half decent right (wing) back but he can't so he hasn't.
His legs are far to quick and short for his brain.
He has played 250 times for us but I preferred the 200 appearances that Ryan Gilligham served and I wasn't his biggest fan.
Brady says 250 appearances show a lot of loyalty. Yeah right, so how many better 9r comparable offers has Sammy turned down?
Brady says let's hope be continues to make lots of appearances for us. Please god no. Mr Brady if you want to be a successful you must show a little more ambition than that.
Report Spam   Logged
guest49

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2021, 14:17:09 pm »

If he was good enough, bids would have come in. (Just seen cobblestones post, yep I’m one of those you mention 👍🏽).

Maybe low bids have come in, and/or he has had opportunities to move sideways rather than necessarily up and chosen to stay.
Any of that aside, any Cobbler with 250 appearances warrants some respect and we could make a visit long list of examples of a waste of a wage since he joined. We have a couple now.
It is strange how some players get worshipped and others are either boo boys or really divide the support. Prime examples being David Seal who I thought was mediocre at best and Dave Savage who was one of my favourite players and was pretty unpopular. I guess even the popular Bayo drew some criticism. JJOT a great example of crossing over. Gilligan's mediocrity was mainly amplified by the likes of Marvo.

You can't please all of the people all of the time and some people will never be pleased.  
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2021, 14:26:13 pm »

other than wilder, who used him sparingly, as you say yourself - how many left because a better offer came in and how many were sacked because of their poor judgement / selections?
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2021, 15:00:56 pm »

other than wilder, who used him sparingly, as you say yourself - how many left because a better offer came in and how many were sacked because of their poor judgement / selections?

That's an irrelevance really, isn't it? It might not have worked out at NTFC for any of them but they are all people who have spent their lives living and working in football, all have far higher coaching qualifications than any of us and also see the players in training most days.  Yes, we can all criticise some of their decisions (and most of us do! ) but I think it's the height of arrogance to decide we know better than all 6 or 7 individuals who have all seemingly rated a player highly enough to pick him most games.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2021, 15:26:11 pm »

Like everyone else I am disappointed at times by Sam's end product and decision making, but also I can't fault his energy and commitment and none of us should.
He is frequently picked out by opposition supporters as our best player and I thought that against Forest Green, he was.
I'd love him to make better choices and start scoring more often, but until we find another player to do that I'm glad he's in our team.
Report Spam   Logged
corno_ntfc

View Profile
Search Level 6 Linux User
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2021, 19:36:12 pm »

Looking forward to the testimonial in a few years time!!!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Football WITHOUT Fans is NOTHING
guest3086

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2021, 19:51:27 pm »

I don't think this club can progress until we say cheerio to Sam Hoskins. We have relied on him for goodness knows how long. Yes he runs around like a blue-arsed fly but quality is not his middle name. He has become a 'go-to' by many managers because you cannot deny his work-rate and they can always defend a poor performance by highlighting his effort. There is no place for him in an attacking dynamic team. He couldn't score in a harem and his final ball is, well, bollocks. We won't move on till he moves on. He is like a poor Rod Stewart tribute, but do you think he's sexy?
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2021, 19:57:31 pm »

You've gone and done it again BOTN.
'He can tackle'
I'm afraid I strongly disagree. If he could tackle he would have made a half decent right (wing) back but he can't so he hasn't.
His legs are far to quick and short for his brain.
He has played 250 times for us but I preferred the 200 appearances that Ryan Gilligham served and I wasn't his biggest fan.
Brady says 250 appearances show a lot of loyalty. Yeah right, so how many better 9r comparable offers has Sammy turned down?
Brady says let's hope be continues to make lots of appearances for us. Please god no. Mr Brady if you want to be a successful you must show a little more ambition than that.

You are missing the point but in any case he cleared off the line the other day which is as good as a tackle. If you are comparing Gilligan with Hoskins; I believe Hoskins has been subject of an offer, apparently from a Championship Club. The real point is that this is all to do honesty, loyalty and the ability to play where selected either in a game or actually selected. What has managerial success got to do with ambition without loyalty from your players. Please explain Bowens, Wilders and Carrs success without player loyalty?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: