The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 16:30:19 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Forest Green Rovers (a)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forest Green Rovers (a)  (Read 7455 times)
guest3338

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2021, 16:40:33 pm »

They might go bald !
Only the extremely virile lose their hair.
That's what my barber told me the first time he pointed out my bald spot.
Report Spam   Logged
Baldy

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Combination
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2021, 16:48:31 pm »

Only the extremely virile lose their hair.
That's what my barber told me the first time he pointed out my bald spot.
Well played CJ.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2021, 17:39:47 pm »

Every team will lose a few this season, and FGR will be there or there abouts come May.

However, I can't help thinking Brady sacrificed tactical cohesion for defensive solidity with his starting line up. Pinnock has been our best winger and assist maker this season, so why was he jettisoned to accommodate another central midfielder? Was that Brady giving FGR too much respect?

There's no point in playing 4-4-2 if you're not going to pick proper wingers and the fact is we're still simply not creating enough from open play.

Then he goes to the opposite extreme and puts Pinnock and Connolly on as wide forwards in a 4-3-3 with Danny Rose in the middle, meaning that they're crossing in for a lone 5ft 9' centre forward which was never going to work. The result: we sit deeper and deeper until they score.

As we've said many times, the defence is very decent at this level and will grind us out some results. However, we are a long way from the 'bums-off-seats' fluent attacking football which Brady intimated we could forward to.

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2021, 18:41:18 pm »

Every team will lose a few this season, and FGR will be there or there abouts come May.

However, I can't help thinking Brady sacrificed tactical cohesion for defensive solidity with his starting line up. Pinnock has been our best winger and assist maker this season, so why was he jettisoned to accommodate another central midfielder? Was that Brady giving FGR too much respect?

There's no point in playing 4-4-2 if you're not going to pick proper wingers and the fact is we're still simply not creating enough from open play.

Then he goes to the opposite extreme and puts Pinnock and Connolly on as wide forwards in a 4-3-3 with Danny Rose in the middle, meaning that they're crossing in for a lone 5ft 9' centre forward which was never going to work. The result: we sit deeper and deeper until they score.

As we've said many times, the defence is very decent at this level and will grind us out some results. However, we are a long way from the 'bums-off-seats' fluent attacking football which Brady intimated we could forward to.

Whether the subs or formation(S) made any different is a tad subjective! From what I saw the midfield and strikers were rendered Ineffective. On this showing McW is going to spend a lot of time on the bench!
What is wrong with Sowerby? We need a couple in who are not overawed by the oppo; even fighters!
Very disappointed with McW, Connolly, Kiochi and possibly Lewis?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest3086

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2021, 18:52:42 pm »

This is not a Brady team, it is a Calderwood team. The defence is fairly rigid but there is no venom, fire or intent uppermost. The squad has now shown itself in these first few games and it don't look too charming. We witnessed the invisible season and now we are experiencing the transparent season (except from the owners obvs). It is how we are now. See-through and teams will exploit it.
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2021, 20:16:15 pm »

Well, that was a load of old shįte wasn't it. I think probably the only positive we can take from today's game was Robert's, who was excellent and kept us in it and but for him it could have easily been 3 or 4. Pretty even first half, Rose won plenty of headers, Etete held the ball up, defence pretty solid, ref shocking, gave us nothing. Second half we started sitting deeper and deeper and just invited them to attack us. When we did bring the ball out of defence, Koiki especially, he'd bring it so far, then punt it hopefully  upfield and just about every time it went to a defender who cleared it. We had a couple of chances, notably when the ball came across the face of the goal with the keeper out of position bounced down towards the goal line, 2 defenders on the line and none of our players anywhere near it, I think it was about the 80th odd minute before we had our first and I think only shot on target.
We could have played 'til the cows came home and not scored today and looks like we're going to struggle in that department.
5 goals in 6 games is píss poor if we have aspirations of play offs. I was very positive before the game, I'm not now. Oh and Forest Green were nothing special, although better than us.
Report Spam   Logged
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2021, 21:04:07 pm »

Well, that was a load of old shįte wasn't it. I think probably the only positive we can take from today's game was Robert's, who was excellent and kept us in it and but for him it could have easily been 3 or 4. Pretty even first half, Rose won plenty of headers, Etete held the ball up, defence pretty solid, ref shocking, gave us nothing. Second half we started sitting deeper and deeper and just invited them to attack us. When we did bring the ball out of defence, Koiki especially, he'd bring it so far, then punt it hopefully  upfield and just about every time it went to a defender who cleared it. We had a couple of chances, notably when the ball came across the face of the goal with the keeper out of position bounced down towards the goal line, 2 defenders on the line and none of our players anywhere near it, I think it was about the 80th odd minute before we had our first and I think only shot on target.
We could have played 'til the cows came home and not scored today and looks like we're going to struggle in that department.
5 goals in 6 games is píss poor if we have aspirations of play offs. I was very positive before the game, I'm not now. Oh and Forest Green were nothing special, although better than us.

100% with you apart from the last comment. I thought FGR were good. They bossed us from the start. They didn’t seem to me to be put under any sort of pressure by us and looked both quick and composed on the ball. Their numbers 7 and 21 controlled central midfield, I really liked their right wing back (we couldn’t cope with him cutting inside on us) and Matt is what we need - a big CF who knows where the goal is.
FGR will be top 3. Not sure where will be though. Between 6th and 12th is my best guess at the minute!!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 21:05:49 pm by Jim Hall Fixit » Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
EB Claret

View Profile
Level 5 Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2021, 21:18:59 pm »

Noticed in the pictures on the Offy site that we see Etete three times and he is being pulled back by a defender each time, but he never wins a free kick Angry
Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2021, 21:21:44 pm »

I'd be very concerned if either of our two quality Central Defenders got injured.

nb Didn't see the match just listened to the commentary on BBC Radio Northampton.
Report Spam   Logged
Mysterious Curle

View Profile
Spammer 25 Posts in one day Level 5 Third year Anniversary
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2021, 21:22:06 pm »

I’ll tell you the most frustrating thing of all…

In the build up to each game the club post a video on Instagram with some daft saying or emoji showing one of the players supposedly on fire tucking practice shots into the corners of the goal…

It’s about time one of them managed it in a game don’t you think!?
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemender

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Level 5 Second year Anniversary
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2021, 21:28:57 pm »

100% with you apart from the last comment. I thought FGR were good. They bossed us from the start. They didn’t seem to me to be put under any sort of pressure by us and looked both quick and composed on the ball. Their numbers 7 and 21 controlled central midfield, I really liked their right wing back (we couldn’t cope with him cutting inside on us) and Matt is what we need - a big CF who knows where the goal is.
FGR will be top 3. Not sure where will be though. Between 6th and 12th is my best guess at the minute!!

Cheers Jim. I think they controlled midfield because we never really had one and I think they probably looked good because we let them boss us and they seemed to want it more than us. I know it's only early doors but on today's performance and the last away game at Crawley, between 6th and 12th is the best we can hope for.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2021, 22:55:07 pm »

I think it’s time for some significant attacking changes the small changes here and there aren’t working. Maybe a change to 4-2-3-1, I would love to see Pollock get more game time, in his small cameos he’s impressed on the attacking side.
Report Spam   Logged
corno_ntfc

View Profile
Search Level 6 Linux User
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2021, 08:35:32 am »

All the problems lie in the midfield.  We don't create enough.

And from the 60th minute onwards, we let the game drift and the inevitable happened.

First half was fine.  FGR weren't anything special, and they were particularly poor in the final third with lots of balls going out of play - but their midfield definitely knew how to keep & move the ball.
Report Spam   Logged

Football WITHOUT Fans is NOTHING
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2021, 10:07:01 am »

For me the turning point was the substitutions, taking off Flores and Etete, our most creative midfielder and the one guy most likely to score.
Lewis still doesn’t do it for me, doesn’t put enough tackles in and doesn’t create, Shaun had a terrible game and for me should have come off.
BTW what’s happening with Sowerby? Got to be worth a look with a start in a league match ?
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2021, 10:28:19 am »

Manny

Its not often you and I agree but I think you nailed it there. Only small issue is I didnt think Shaun was terrible,he did what he does,but his assets are limited.
Report Spam   Logged
Jim Hall Fixit

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary 500 Posts Avatar
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2021, 10:32:57 am »

Agree with Manny and Corno - our problem seems to be midfield. Don’t know if it’s formation, tactics or player quality but it clearly didn’t work yesterday. Agree though that McWilliams wasn’t the worst midfielder on show. In fact he may have been the best of a very bad bunch!
I’m a great fan of JB but his post match comments yesterday were deluded and way off. FGR we’re better (much better) in every position on the park apart from the keeper. We’re not that bad an outfit snd I still think we can have a good season but we need to wake up and smell the coffee. We were comprehensively beaten by a better side. Hopefully they’ll top the league in May and we’ll be close behind them!?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 10:36:21 am by Jim Hall Fixit » Report Spam   Logged

"My three children were born in Northamptonshire so I like to think I'm an adopted Northamptonian and it's the same for Rico and Sammo. It means a lot to us because this is our county.
1HorshamCobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2021, 10:55:20 am »

Agree with Shoey. This is definitely not Bums off seats football, it’s better than Curle but only just. As already has been said, Brady’s comments delusional on that performance. Positives were Roberts, Horsfall and Guthrie. I don’t think it’s just the midfield that’s the issue, I don’t see Kabamba offering anything so it’s all on the shoulders of Rose and Etete. Rose could have scored yesterday but for the defender somewhat fortuitously nicking Hoskins cross away from him and he also won a fair few headers but they went straight to FGR players. Taking off Etete and Flores lost us the game I feel but we were never going to win it. Letting Smith go is now looking like a massive mistake by Brady. We will be lower mid table unless we start scoring goals and my arse looks like it will be remaining firmly in its seat for the season.
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2021, 11:09:16 am »

This is not a Brady team, it is a Calderwood team. The defence is fairly rigid but there is no venom, fire or intent uppermost. The squad has now shown itself in these first few games and it don't look too charming. We witnessed the invisible season and now we are experiencing the transparent season (except from the owners obvs). It is how we are now. See-through and teams will exploit it.

Absolutely - how many 1-0 victories were there in CC’s promotion year - tactic was clear with a very solid defence and nick a goal - not great to watch but effective and looks like the same this season with the current concern on striking power to nick that goal.
Report Spam   Logged
west stand oap

View Profile
2500 Posts Apple User Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2021, 11:10:23 am »

They usually say that you can see where you are after 10 league games but I think we know already where our strengths and weaknesses lie.
4 goals conceded in 6 games, only 1 team with fewer.
5 goals scored in 6 games, only 3 teams with fewer.
Yesterday we finally met opposition from the top end of the table and almost escaped with an undeserved goal-less draw. It could have been a heavier defeat but for Roberts and a fine goal-line clearance from McGowan but I'm not sure FGR deserved more than the single goal victory.
But we failed to lay a glove on them as an attacking force and herein lies the problem. A lack of creativity of scoring opportunities means rely heavily on our defence to keep us in the game.
Our victory against  a poor 10 man Scunny team can now be seen in a different light after they got hammered by Exeter 4-0 at home yesterday.
Probable time to give Sowerby and Pollock a chance to show what they can do although last week Lewis was getting into the box regularly and should have had a goal. I also thought it strange that Pinnock was dropped yesterday.
Anyway onto Newport and if can get the win 3 points from 2 away games will be a good return.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2021, 11:18:16 am »

I don’t think it’s just the midfield that’s the issue,
I agree I think there is something off about us as an attacking unit as a whole. Whether that’s defenders aimlessly booting long balls, central midfielders keeping possession, wingers creating chances or strikers losing the ball or not making the best of what we do create, it’s clear the odd bits of tinkering here and there by Brady aren’t working and I don’t see an odd player coming in will fix things,  I think it’s time for a bigger rethink.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: